This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If you believe otherwise, we’ll just disagree on this point. 

80903F47-385B-466D-9C2C-71066F286E94.jpeg

Dykes' resume prior to this season was not close to that of Strong or Herman. His HC resume probably wasn't too far off Sark's but Sark had been a top assistant for national title teams at USC and Alabama.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:31 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

This was my life with fixer 1969 and 1970 GTOs until I just said screw it… “I’m going to fix it up myself” or they priced it as if it were a frame resto. 

I’d kill the guy who screwed up the one I had, but he’s already dead. 

I wonder how perception would change if basically the exact same plays were called but, say, a couple of passes weren’t dropped (offense and defense) and Texas gets out with a close win. “Yay, Ewers and Worthy really are on the same page!” or what. Not that it ultimately matters until those plays start going the right way, anyway. 

And/or a few false starts didn't fuck up crucial drives.

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Once you build your program to the level of a Georgia or Alabama, the rosters you roll out just out talent the other teams in 90% of the games. This is what we did in Macks prime. Mack wasn't some great coach. We just had a ton of talent that decade. But it takes awhile to get to that level. Right now with the lack of talent we have, coaching matters a lot in these close games

I get your point, but I’d argue that Mack’s ability to attract, retain, and develop such a talented roster for a decade is exactly what made him a great coach. That’s part of a coach’s skill set - maybe the most important part. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, C-Man said:
Read that Georgia had 73 players who were 4- or 5-star players on the roster the other night. TCU had 13.

Recruiting matters, which is something Sarkisian and his staff appears to be pretty good at so far. I just hope the in-game coaching can ultimately match up to that. I’m ok with where we are after Year 2 with Sark. Check back to see where I am in 24 months. We will have a much better idea then.

Once you build your program to the level of a Georgia or Alabama, the rosters you roll out just out talent the other teams in 90% of the games. This is what we did in Macks prime. Mack wasn't some great coach. We just had a ton of talent that decade. But it takes awhile to get to that level. Right now with the lack of talent we have, coaching matters a lot in these close games

Mack won a metric fuck ton of close games, even when we had relatively crap talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. His big issue was getting blown out. He was amazing in close games.

His ability to calm a kicker before a game winning kick was like augie’s offensive time outs before a Carmichael (or another player’s) bomb. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, troph said:

His ability to calm a kicker before a game winning kick was like augie’s offensive time outs before a Carmichael (or another player’s) bomb. 

Yes and also why his last three teams records (8-5, 9-4, 8-5) do not really reflect how bad those teams were. If the game was close at all, Mack usually found a way to win (sometimes with a little help from the refs in the case of 2012 OSU or 2013 ISU) but most of those losses were total annihilations. Just blowouts all over the place.

Whatever happened to his ability to recruit was lost to him after the national title game. Those teams had very little talent. Mack would somehow find a way to get them to sneak by enough teams to have winning records anyway (well...except for 2010 of course...)

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes and also why his last three teams records (8-5, 9-4, 8-5) do not really reflect how bad those teams were. If the game was close at all, Mack usually found a way to win (sometimes with a little help from the refs in the case of 2012 OSU or 2013 ISU) but most of those losses were total annihilations. Just blowouts all over the place.

Whatever happened to his ability to recruit was lost to him after the national title game. Those teams had very little talent. Mack would somehow find a way to get them to sneak by enough teams to have winning records anyway (well...except for 2010 of course...)

Yep, Mack's primary issues were with player development and/or creating the pussy/country club atmosphere that creeped in a few times. He won one NC, directly played for another in 2010 and should've been involved in a third in 2009. That he only pulled off two conference championships with all the talent he acquired is nothing short of amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Most CFB coaching hires fail.  Almost all are bets with big unknowns on how they play out.

Sark is no exception.

• I like the plan to play big boy football a lot.
  • I like the game week preparation a lot.
  • I like the way a fair amount of players seem to have been developed.
  • I like coaches getting hired away for better jobs a lot.
  • I expect next year's OL to maybe be our best since 05-06.

And yet I can see issues with in game management.  Maybe he is having issues balancing calling plays and being head coach.

So some good and some worries too.

We should know a lot more in about 24 months.

It's a good thing Longhorn fans are known for their patience.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Probably changing the scheme that got him the 2004-2009 success, paired with coordinators who didn't know how to scheme that type of offense and players who weren't fit for it.   Then he started to flail with really lazy evaluations, constant coordinator changes, etc. 

The ultimate "what if" is if, win or lose against Bama, Mack didn't change the offensive philosophy in the 2009-10 offseason and continued to run what won him games and what make Gilbert successful at Lake Travis.  Square pegs into round holes shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably changing the scheme that got him the 2004-2009 success, paired with coordinators who didn't know how to scheme that type of offense and players who weren't fit for it.   Then he started to flail with really lazy evaluations, constant coordinator changes, etc. 

The ultimate "what if" is if, win or lose against Bama, Mack didn't change the offensive philosophy in the 2009-10 offseason and continued to run what won him games and what make Gilbert successful at Lake Travis.  Square pegs into round holes shit. 

Maybe 2010 would have been a game or 2 better, but the OL was shit even in 08 and 09.  With little skill position talent Gilbert was still going to be mediocre even in a spread offense.  The OC/DC turmoil would have still occurred.  

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Maybe 2010 would have been a game or 2 better, but the OL was shit even in 08 and 09.  With little skill position talent Gilbert was still going to be mediocre even in a spread offense.  The OC/DC turmoil would have still occurred.  

I can't say for sure, what does something look different if we finish 6-6 or 7-5 in 2010 instead of 5-7? 

God damnit Mack should have just retired after that NCG loss.

And he started recruiting lazily and shying away from the “hood players” after all those arrests. I think that armed robbery by Andre Jones was the straw that broke the camels back, lol.

Anyway, it’s unbelievable that our O line will have the most potential since Colt’s freshman year.

• 10 months later...
15 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. They just allowed OSU not only other sub late but to sub super lackadaisically. 

That penalty was fucked up. They replayed the sequence and official had his hand still on the ball with 1 second on the play clock and still directly next to the DT, trying to back away when play clock hits 0. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm ecstatic that Sark proved me dead wrong this season. The 'Horns overcame a lot to win the Big 12 title, including his game management at times. But, we're in a great place and should continue to be for a while.

Hook 'Em

Fair enough and I had to pick one post to extend a finger but it is generally for all the doubters.  I was sweating this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure I've posted in this thread before, but just watched the playoff selection presser and have some thoughts.

He doesn't just say all the right things, he actually does them, and it shows on the field each Saturday.

One thing that gets overlooked a bit is the fact we have never contended for the Fulmer cup since he's been here, and that's called buy-in from existing players, gently nudging out the borderline guys and good recruiting evals. That's not to say in the future we won't have an individual here or there determined to be a shithead on their downtime, but so far he's beaten not just Charlie and Herman, but also MBTF when it comes to headlines being only about football and no extracurricular activity.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Not sure I've posted in this thread before, but just watched the playoff selection presser and have some thoughts.

He doesn't just say all the right things, he actually does them, and it shows on the field each Saturday.

One thing that gets overlooked a bit is the fact we have never contended for the Fulmer cup since he's been here, and that's called buy-in from existing players, gently nudging out the borderline guys and good recruiting evals. That's not to say in the future we won't have an individual here or there determined to be a shithead on their downtime, but so far he's beaten not just Charlie and Herman, but also MBTF when it comes to headlines being only about football and no extracurricular activity.

I’d give you pos rep but a month to go, I don’t want bad juju.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Let’s hold off on sucking each others dicks. He had a good season and will hopefully cap it off in a special way. We need to be in the conversation all year next year then give this guy all the money. 

I’ve been a pretty heavy critic but I’m happy for him and believe he’s the guy.   But agree one more successful year would cement a long term extension. See Sonny dykes

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been a pretty heavy critic but I’m happy for him and believe he’s the guy.   But agree one more successful year would cement a long term extension. See Sonny dykes

So, if we lose the semifinal game, and Sark’s agent comes asking for an extension for another 5 years at $7M*/year, you think we should just say “nah…”?

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

So, if we lose the semifinal game, and Sark’s agent comes asking for an extension for another 5 years at $7M*/year, you think we should just say “nah…”?

Yeah, I don’t think sark’s agent is gonna waste the keystrokes asking for 7.  If they push for something, I assume it would be closer to 10 than 7.   Does Sark have interest in going back to nfl at some point?   

Yeah, I don’t think sark’s agent is gonna waste the keystrokes asking for 7.  If they push for something, I assume it would be closer to 10 than 7.   Does Sark have interest in going back to nfl at some point?   

I think Sark is thankful for Texas and, if he keeps this up, we’ll be more than happy to reciprocate that gratitude.

21 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I quoted these because the guy who made this post has seemingly disappeared this season, but this goes fr ALL you bitch-ass motherfuckers who didn't believe. All you motherfuckers who participated in this thread the last couple years can get the fuck in the fan fucking portal. You don't deserve to be fans of The University of Texas. Try aggy out. Seven fucking win Steve is now 12 fucking win Steve. Our supposedly trash ass QB just dragged his nuts all over Mike Gundy's face to the tune of over 400 yards and 4 TDs.

It's always the same people in the here or the game thread bitching about every little thing, incapable of seeing the progress. Don't jump on the bandwagon now! It's full.

He has tempered his criticism as is has become less founded more recently, and even admitted he was wrong being a skeptic.

But, as your posts show, he wasn't just a skeptic, he was a denier.

I can't get too mad at a skeptic, but when people express certainty like that, it pisses me off.

I've been a supporter, even a pumper, but have never expressed any certainty.  Even now, it's just one season and I'd like to see more.  But I think Sark earned this and caused this with recruiting, culture change and good (maybe just decent in some spots) coaching.  Key word though, "think."

• Hook 'Em 7