This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is my concern.  I was in college for some of the Mackovic years, and this feels like that.  We were good enough to play better teams close and pull the occasional upset.  We were ranked a lot of the time, but almost never in the top 10.  The good years were 10 wins, 8 wins, and 8 wins.  The bad years didn't even get bowl games.  That went on for 6 seasons, and I'm afraid this tenure might look an awful lot like that one.

mackovic was my tenure too. Mack's first year was the year after I graduated.  I finished my course load in the summer and registered for classes in the fall to get student tickets then dropped the classes or something like that. I don't recall the loop hole I managed but I didn't take or pay for any classes but did end up with student tickets (east side 30 yard line) for one more season, including seeing Ricky break the record. that was a fun season.

but back to the thread points - you knew in that first season Mack was headed for 10+ wins often. Of course many knew it would come with a loss to the other best team in the conference often, FSU replaced with OU, but there was little doubt he'd win 10+ a lot.  Sark, there's an awful lot of doubt.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is my concern.  I was in college for some of the Mackovic years, and this feels like that.  We were good enough to play better teams close and pull the occasional upset.  We were ranked a lot of the time, but almost never in the top 10.  The good years were 10 wins, 8 wins, and 8 wins.  The bad years didn't even get bowl games.  That went on for 6 seasons, and I'm afraid this tenure might look an awful lot like that one.

And that's OK. We got through it just fine.

29 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

McGuire got a dui right?  Given Tom and sarks past I think he’s a hard no

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hoping/expecting Sark to do something he's never done as a HC is a bold strategy that I won't partake in.

Daboer > Traylor

McGuire is meh

Urban should once again be top of the list.

We should also act like a big fucking time program and make a play for established coaches like USC/LSU did. 

Feels like we put feelers out to Kelly but he wanted to stay an extra year to break Rocknes record

That game was pretty damning on Sark.  2022 was never going to be the last word in him unless he had posted a losing season.  2023 will be another opportunity to get to the standard or fail:

6 wins or less and Sark should be fired

7-8 wins and he is firmly on the hot seat for 2024 (meaning 10 wins or else)

9 wins and his seat should be warm for 2024 and beyond (meaning any step backward results in firing)

10 wins and he has met the standard

11 wins and he is on the radar for an extension

12+ wins and he gets an extension

I expect us to win 10 games next season.  The roster is on track to be stacked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

That game was pretty damning on Sark.  2022 was never going to be the last word in him unless he had posted a losing season.  2023 will be another opportunity to get to the standard or fail:

6 wins or less and Sark should be fired

7-8 wins and he is firmly on the hot seat for 2024 (meaning 10 wins or else)

9 wins and his seat should be warm for 2024 and beyond (meaning any step backward results in firing)

10 wins and he has met the standard

11 wins and he is on the radar for an extension

12+ wins and he gets an extension

You have higher expectations than I do…

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I expect us to win 10 games next season

We'll see. Have to assume we lose to Bama so that means we only lose 1 other game the rest of the season. Certainly a possibility but I'll need to see what the conference schedule looks like.

7-2 in conference play will get us in the title game, which would likely mean 9-3 overall. That would be another step forward and then if we won the conference championship I would obviously consider that a very successful year.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

"fatwa alert" for your coach that has yet to win double digits games at UW, USC, Texas in 8 tries

Bro, do you really think you can shit on our coaches better than we can? Nobody hates our coaches more than we do, believe that. Hell, we fucking hated (and many still do) our HOF coach who won 85% of his games for over a decade. Come on now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

Pete K had a pretty good gameplan, but eventually he took the Penix just like every other DC does.

Difference between Sark and Pete K is that Kwat actually knows how to coach. You guys would be much better with him at HC and some other OC

Lol Penix played like warm dog shit last night.

81A34213-77F3-44F5-BC7E-006DC5B5D7B1.jpeg

Just now, ATXhorn17 said:

Lol Penix played like warm dog shit last night.

81A34213-77F3-44F5-BC7E-006DC5B5D7B1.jpeg

Penix and our OC stubbornly were looking for the big play pass all fucking night. The one thing Kwat excels at, is preventing that from happening.

So instead we took the checkdowns and converted on damn near every 2nd half 3rd down.

Penix played like shit in the first half, settled down, and did what he needed to do against a good defense playing with home field advantage

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Bro, do you really think you can shit on our coaches better than we can? Nobody hates our coaches more than we do, believe that. Hell, we fucking hated (and many still do) our HOF coach who won 85% of his games for over a decade. Come on now.

Just saying, not every good coach is chomping at the bit to come to Texas. 

IMO you guys shouldve kept Herman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 10

10 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

Pete K had a pretty good gameplan, but eventually he took the Penix just like every other DC does.

Difference between Sark and Pete K is that Kwat actually knows how to coach. You guys would be much better with him at HC and some other OC

You know, I used to live in Seattle and I have a very high opinion on UW fans because they're normally not mouth breathing couch burners who take the game too seriously.  Generally, a very respectful and gracious group who doesn't take the game too seriously.

But here you are, on an opposing fans message board, on a 107 (and counting) page thread, dogging our coach.  As @Hank Chinaski, we don't need your got damn help with that.  Buzz off.  

And yes, we can money whip any of your coaches if we choose to.

• Hook 'Em 1

When we hired Sark, I was immediately disappointed. Then my fan powers of rationalization kicked in and I worked to come up with the rationale for being optimistic to get me through the next few years. 

What I came up with was that Sark has shown he can put together some formidable offenses when he has a talent advantage over everyone else like he did at Bama. I thought, “Texas is always able to recruit a talent advantage relative to the rest of the Big 12,” so if he is able to recruit reasonably well and hires a competent DC, we could win a lot of games with that formula, even if we would likely lose a majority when the talent was even with our opponents. Basically, the Mack Brown, Phillip Fulmer, Mark Richt formula of winning 9-10 games a year by getting the best Jimmies and Joes on campus. You do that long enough, and every once in a while you get lucky and break through. 

Two years in, I think that optimistic scenario is still on the table. Sark has recruited better than I had expected, and is building the team the right way, by stacking up blue chips on the lines and at QB. These are also the positions that take the longest to mature and develop, so we should all expect (and insist upon) improvement next year and 2024. Sark seems to have the disposition that will serve him well in the portal era, his players seem to like him, and his approach should attract and retain talent in a way that a Harry Hard-Ass like Tom Herman would not. We are stepping up in competition going to the SEC, but with that comes access to better athletes in recruiting who want to play in that league. 

I don’t have much hope of consistently beating teams like UGA and Bama at their current levels, or LSU or Florida if those programs get things rolling again. But a Texas program winning 10 games a season will almost always make a 12 team playoff field, even if we don’t advance beyond the first or second round very often. Maybe Arch or some generational player down the road comes in and takes us further. 

IDK. TLDR: last night didn’t crush all my hopes and dreams, which weren’t stratospheric to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

You know, I used to live in Seattle and I have a very high opinion on UW fans because they're normally not mouth breathing couch burners who take the game too seriously.  Generally, a very respectful and gracious group who doesn't take the game too seriously.

But here you are, on an opposing fans message board, on a 107 (and counting) page thread, dogging our coach.  As @Hank Chinaski, we don't need your got damn help with that.  Buzz off.  

And yes, we can money whip any of your coaches if we choose to.

You guys are a sensitive bunch and wouldn't last a day at hardcorehusky.com

Go ahead and ban me for talking some shit. No one gives a fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 11

Is a coach really a good coach if they win because they have a more talented roster than their opponents? Isn't the reason a coach is identified and hired because they excelled despite having an overwhelming talent advantage ala Gary Patterson, Mike Leach, etc. Sark had better players than anyone they played at Alabama and at Carroll's USC. But when he's the head man in charge he can't win because the culture was nuked by Herman despite him leaving the most talented RB on the roster that's been in Austin since probably Ricky. 

Then apparently this dude is a QB whisperer yet can't do anything with a guy that was only ranked behind Bryce Young as a DT QB. If you can only be successful as a coach running a system, doesn't that make you a system coach? Saban has succeeded in a pro-style, power run, and now a spread offense. He's clearly an elite coach. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Let’s be honest. 11-2 isn’t our style for money whipping UW coaches though, we like 7-9 wins. 

Serious question - when was the last time you guys money whipped someone not from USF or Houston?

If there is anyone you should money whip, it should be someone like Jonathan Smith over at Oregon State

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

You guys are a sensitive bunch and wouldn't last a day at hardcorehusky.com

Go ahead and ban me for talking some shit. No one gives a fuck.

Actually there are raging assholes on this board that can ruin your life. We just like real conversation not trolling bullshit. If you were worth a shit, even an ounce of chickenshit, you could stick around with the other dozens upon dozens of opposing team fans that prefer surly to their own god damned teams boards. Basically you lack quality, substance or merit to be allowed to stay here so.

go away gtfo GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Sure. Middling, fine, ok, average…whatever. Less than exceptional, greater than terrible. The meaty part of the bell curve. That’s our coach. 

Which honestly is probably doing okay considering his resume coming into this job. Things could certainly be worse.  I am still however baffled by the decision to hire him. 

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Is a coach really a good coach if they win because they have a more talented roster than their opponents? Isn't the reason a coach is identified and hired because they excelled despite having an overwhelming talent advantage ala Gary Patterson, Mike Leach, etc. Sark had better players than anyone they played at Alabama and at Carroll's USC. But when he's the head man in charge he can't win because the culture was nuked by Herman despite him leaving the most talented RB on the roster that's been in Austin since probably Ricky. 

Then apparently this dude is a QB whisperer yet can't do anything that was only ranked behind Bryce Young as a DT QB. If you can only be successful as a coach running a system, doesn't that make you a system coach? Saban has succeeded in a pro-style, power run, and now a spread offense. He's clearly an elite coach. 

There are only a few elite coaches in college football.

Hopefully we'll get lucky and hire one someday. Hell, I hope Steve Sarkisian becomes one.

Sigh.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Actually there are raging assholes on this board that can ruin your life. We just like real conversation not trolling bullshit. If you were worth a shit, even an ounce of chickenshit, you could stick around with the other dozens upon dozens of opposing team fans that prefer surly to their own god damned teams boards. Basically you lack quality, substance or merit to be allowed to stay here so.

go away gtfo GIF

I see you're a little upset.

Maybe a walk along the beach for some perspective can help?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

25 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don’t see it. We need immediate help at Edge, LB, S and WR.  Sorrel is an ok edge, Ford has played well prior to last night and we’re hoping Neyor makes it back from the ACL. 

All other option will either come from the portal or be frosh/underclassmen that we’re hoping do something. It’s the Texas way. 

And even if we address all of those we’re likely one deep at most of them.

Someone will likely step up and surprise, and we’ll probably snag at least one answer in the portal, but that’s some pretty big position groups to have no obvious solutions. Yes, there are some talented athletes waiting on playing time, but none of them pushed to start and looked ready to rock like Brooks did this year for example. 

And that’s not touching on the headsets issues. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Is a coach really a good coach if they win because they have a more talented roster than their opponents?

In college football? Yes. Getting and developing the talent is most of the job.

People always try to separate talent acquisition and roster construction from Xs and Os; me, I don’t give a shit, it all comes out in the wash.

It looks like Sark will need pretty sizable talent advantages to win consistently; he seems potentially able to create that. He will need to, because it doesn’t appear that he’ll outcoach (within games) many opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

In general, there are two types of Surly posters here regarding the tenure of Sark. Those who find HOPE and those who accept FATE. 

(These patterns were true with Strong and Herman and are likely true for all fan bases.)

HOPE

These posters always find something to give them hope, no matter how much the counter evidence. The future will be brighter and Sark will take the Longhorns to the promised land and win titles

-- Usually, the hope involves a savior of some type. A five star QB, Ewers and now Manning. A new stud RB. A new coordinator to transform the offense or defense. If not a single savior, then it is collective savior of recruiting boatloads of 4-5 stars and “getting his players” with time to “learn the system.” 

-- In addition, there must also be a handful of bad players/evil dudes (quitters, lazy, bad attitude, etc.) preventing Sark and Texas from winning more games. 

-- Finally, to counter the FATE posters below, there is a list of excuses and extenuating circumstances for why the team is 13-12 after two seasons, only two wins more than Strong.

FATE

These posters look to the empirical evidence of Sark’s record and realize the future is doomed to repeat the past, with no promised land and zero titles in sight. 

-- The fate involves accepting that Sark is no offensive guru, no savior (Manning, etc.) will overcome the problems. No recruiting influx or portaling of the “bad/evil” players will change anything long-term.

-- They can only hope that CDC and boosters (or whatever primo “search committee”) will find the next great coach. But, they look forward to the next coaching search with trepidation. They know we have the freedom to find a great coach, but fear the pattern will be repeated for a fourth time and we will be fated to “wander the desert” for almost 20 years. It’s 13 years and counting. 

Of course, some posters fluctuate between HOPE and FATE, depending on recent games. There is not much that can resolve the differences between HOPE and FATE except a massive amount of evidence either way: a 3-9 season or making the CFP and winning conference/national title.

Bottom line: It’s HOPE vs. FATE, the faithful vs. the existentialists (or believers vs. atheists, no CR). 

As i mentioned earlier, the battle continues between those with HOPE for Sark vs. those accepting our FATE with Sark. 

HOPE for Sark: saviors to come, excuses and extenuating circumstances, etc. Failsafe: attack Mack Brown or Tom Herman.

FATE: saviors won't matter, evidence of Sark's lousy record, list possible new coaches--all while knowing Sark is here for 2-4 more years at least (barring a 3-9 meltdown season) and will win nothing of significance. And Meyer ain't coming. 

Is there any doubt, CDC and the big money boosters are on the HOPE side? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

1) The troll isn't saying anything that scores of our own fans already say

2) Why is anyone bothering to feed the troll? Y'all must be bored.

I'm not even trolling. I'd love nothing more than to see Texas run a train on the SEC 

Sark just aint it and it's bizarre your great program took a waiver on his third act

Edited by PostGameOrangeSlices
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

In college football? Yes. Getting and developing the talent is most of the job.

People always try to separate talent acquisition and roster construction from Xs and Os; me, I don’t give a shit, it all comes out in the wash.

It looks like Sark will need pretty sizable talent advantages to win consistently; he seems potentially able to create that. He will need to, because it doesn’t appear that he’ll outcoach (within games) many opponents. 

Which really is the problem at Texas, since on paper it's only Oklahoma that has equal talent..... At least on paper. Even next year, our roster is the most talented than everyone in the Big 12. Yet, the expectation is 8 wins. Wtf is that? 

1 minute ago, BevoAbyss said:

As i mentioned earlier, the battle continues between those with HOPE for Sark vs. those accepting our FATE with Sark. 

HOPE for Sark: saviors to come, excuses and extenuating circumstances, etc. Failsafe: attack Mack Brown or Tom Herman.

FATE: saviors won't matter, evidence of Sark's lousy record, list possible new coaches--all while knowing Sark is here for 2-4 more years at least (barring a 3-9 meltdown season) and will win nothing of significance. And Meyer ain't coming. 

Is there any doubt, CDC and the big money boosters are on the HOPE side? 

They are on the we have to have 4-5 years of stability either way side. There is an argument for that. You can’t coaching carousel 3 coaches in a row under 4 years each. I think the idea is if he builds something that underperforms the next coach can benefit from some of the stability. Plus if we bail on coaches even for good reason every 3-4 years the other programs will use it against us.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

1) The troll isn't saying anything that scores of our own fans don't already say

2) Why is anyone bothering to feed the troll? Y'all must be bored.

Well if crowdsourcing would commence we wouldn’t need more posts of his to send him on his way.

• Hook 'Em 2