This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

Sark screwed up by not pursuing offensive linemen from the portal during the off season . They were out there, ask Riley , he snagged two that are starters. He needs to go after every blue chip big ugly he can recruit and then roll out the red carpet with portal players. This offensive line is ridiculous and you can’t compete when your quarterback has two seconds to get rid of the ball. Our offensive line has been horrible going back a decade. It’s time to recognize that and get those elite big uglies on board. Nothing will change until that happens.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Those are good points but Kennedy brooks is a jag. If you had to bet which personnel would beat you guaranteed it’s Caleb Williams with some pretty damn good receivers. The hope is that the weaker part of their offense can be managed for 4 quarters. Now if you take some of the rb’s they’ve had in the past…then I’m probably in agreement. Peterson or mixon would have pushed our shit in. 

the counter is a beautiful thing

4 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

Sark screwed up by not pursuing offensive linemen from the portal during the off season . They were out there, ask Riley , he snagged two that are starters. He needs to go after every blue chip big ugly he can recruit and then roll out the red carpet with portal players. This offensive line is ridiculous and you can’t compete when your quarterback has two seconds to get rid of the ball. Our offensive line has been horrible going back a decade. It’s time to recognize that and get those elite big uglies on board. Nothing will change until that happens.

pretty sure we went after a Tennessee guy but he went to OU,

• Like 1

Just now, hookem48 said:

those bands are really noticeable when he flies by a tackle with his arm out

Yup.

Or when he's turned completely around looking at who knows what while the ball is being snapped.  Dude is a mental midget.

But he's got a lot of company on this team.

• Hook 'Em 1

OVERREACTIONS!!! Yay! Look I didn’t think we would win but I hadn’t been that excited in a half in a long time with Texas football and I loved that. I knew what was going to happen in the 4th and when we scored, immediately texted we left too much time. But please no fire sark or anything. We have worthy, we have bijan, we have a QB that can play. We have a solid foundation. Just need some love in the tranches. Lots of help there. Season isn’t over. Can still win out and honestly we should. Would love another shot at them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Too early for conclusions on Sark- negative OR positive.  Those defending Sark under the guise that he needs time to replace Herman players and recruit his own are correct.  But it is also true that Sark was a plan B hire after an aggressive pursuit of our Plan A and real reason for letting Herman go in the 1st place (Urban Meyer) so it isn’t ludicrous to wonder if Sark is just the next Strong or Herman.  It just isn’t fair to draw conclusions yet.  

Again, That’s a reasonable argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

OVERREACTIONS!!! Yay! Look I didn’t think we would win but I hadn’t been that excited in a half in a long time with Texas football and I loved that. I knew what was going to happen in the 4th and when we scored, immediately texted we left too much time. But please no fire sark or anything. We have worthy, we have bijan, we have a QB that can play. We have a solid foundation. Just need some love in the tranches. Lots of help there. Season isn’t over. Can still win out and honestly we should. Would love another shot at them. 

the problem is we do not have a solid foundation, the foundation is the trenches. We have the most exciting freshman receiver in the country, the most exciting running back in the country and a qb that doesn't have a very strong arm but is putting up good stats because we have a very good play caller. What else do we really have?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

Dude it's not a grocery store were you can be first to buy it. They went after offensive linemen in the portal and we didn't get them.  They have to also want to come here. The good one aren't coming yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

the problem is we do not have a solid foundation, the foundation is the trenches. We have the most exciting freshman receiver in the country, the most exciting running back in the country and a qb that doesn't have a very strong arm but is putting up good stats because we have a very good play caller. What else do we really have?

You realize those are all improvements though right?

49 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What does the below record scream?

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

9-2

Overall 34-24-1

That is Nick Saban at Michigan State.  His LSU record wasn’t unreal either but he did have that 13-1 National Championship season.  Once Saban got to Alabama and was able to get unreal recruiting advantages over everyone else suddenly he is a genius.  Listen, Saban is a fantastic coach but college football is a sport where you can be a decent coach and still have success (See Mack Brown, great recruiter and good not great coach but with the talent he amassed he was able to win a lot)  Sark may or may not be the guy but your comment of “which season in this screams he’s gonna break out” is idiotic.  I am guessing you would have been screaming at LSU when they hired Saban with the above record that he shouldn’t have been hired.  Is Sark going to be the next Saban?  I doubt it but if he could figure out how to load his teams with 5 star players at every position every year I think he could be great.    

BUT WHAT ABOUT SABAN is a terrible fucking argument. 

should we have kept Strong because “BUT WHAT ABOUT DX BIBLE”?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

god damn this site is insufferable with this shit.  fire this coach, fire that coach.  you guys are fucking idiots.

lets just keep doing what we have been doing for the past 10 years because it has worked out so well.  im sure we will find the guy eventually!!!!111

This guy gets it.

41 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Dude it's not a grocery store were you can be first to buy it. They went after offensive linemen in the portal and we didn't get them.  They have to also want to come here. The good one aren't coming yet.

Totally dude….it’s been reported by college football analysts ( horns247, Inside Texas)not named monkeydoughnuts that Sark pulled back on going after offensive linemen in the portal due to his belief that what he had on the roster was sufficient. There were plenty available at the time that could have contributed here but we won’t know if they would have come or not because Sark didn’t pursue. Now we have a rag tag offensive line playing red rover with opposing defensive lines. 

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

pretty sure we went after a Tennessee guy but he went to OU,

He did go after him but at some point during the off season it was reported that Sark was done pursuing offensive linemen because he was content with what he had on the roster. Inside Texas and horns 247 had reported this.

9 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

He did go after him but at some point during the off season it was reported that Sark was done pursuing offensive linemen because he was content with what he had on the roster. Inside Texas and horns 247 had reported this.

I take all that with a grain of salt.  If we swung and missed with the potential difference makers as a coach you have to deal with what you got and what you don't need as a new coach is the largest player room on the team thinking you come in with zero trust.  So you use the 9.95er, useful idiots that they are, to quickly put that ongoing line of discussion to bed.  The reality these days is a coach doesn't really get anything out of publicly discussing player or unit deficiencies publicly unless maybe to discuss stupid penalties post game and most of the time it just poisons the locker room so you put the best spin on it possible and do what you can do.  

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I take all that with a grain of salt.  If we swung and missed with the potential difference makers as a coach you have to deal with what you got and what you don't need as a new coach is the largest player room on the team thinking you come in with zero trust.  So you use the 9.95er, useful idiots that they are, to quickly put that ongoing line of discussion to bed.  The reality these days is a coach doesn't really get anything out of publicly discussing player or unit deficiencies publicly unless maybe to discuss stupid penalties post game and most of the time it just poisons the locker room so you put the best spin on it possible and do what you can do.  

Not disagreeing with that; however, it’s Sark’s responsibility to fill those voids. If you look just at big twelve rosters they are filled with offensive linemen portal transfers who are starting and are solid performers. Oklahoma alone has two , even Kansas has a portal transfer center who would have started for Texas. Bottom line is offensive line help was a priority and it wasn’t addressed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

Not disagreeing with that; however, it’s Sark’s responsibility to fill those voids. If you look just at big twelve rosters they are filled with offensive linemen portal transfers who are starting and are solid performers. Oklahoma alone has two , even Kansas has a portal transfer center who would have started for Texas. Bottom line is offensive line help was a priority and it wasn’t addressed. 

Don't mistake what I am saying is an absolution for not doing something about it, but the truth is that "recruitments" for portal guys is a lot murkier and less well followed right now with it being still something pretty new than the long haul recruitment of HS guys.  So I don't think we can say with certainty what we really did or didn't try to do there.  What I do know is the reason given for why there was no result there isn't necessarily indicative that there was no effort, or perhaps even a lot of effort there.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Don't mistake what I am saying is an absolution for not doing something about it, but the truth is that "recruitments" for portal guys is a lot murkier and less well followed right now with it being still something pretty new than the long haul recruitment of HS guys.  So I don't think we can say with certainty what we really did or didn't try to do there.  What I do know is the reason given for why there was no result there isn't necessarily indicative that there was no effort, or perhaps even a lot of effort there.  

Solid points; nothing to do now but pick ourselves up and beat okie state next weekend.

4 hours ago, SoonerSpock said:

Mims was a 4* per 247Sports and did set the Texas state record and broke the national record in receiving yards at Lone Star high school in Frisco, TX.  But was not extremely highly recruited ranking only as the #29 WR nationally.  Also reported to have adequate but not great speed but proven at the D-I to be an outstanding vertical receiver that averaged 16.5 yards/reception in 2020 on 37 receptions  and 21.1 y/r on 19 receptions in 2021 

http://soonerstats.com/football/players/game-log-receiving.cfm?seasonid=2020&playerid=3273

http://soonerstats.com/football/players/game-log-receiving.cfm?seasonid=2021&playerid=3273

https://247sports.com/player/marvin-mims-46049311/

I just remember him being a 3* and I think decommited from Stanford, didn't he? Regardless, it was a great evaluation and y'alls WR is phenomenal.

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

we've been recruiting to play 7 on 7 for years, it's got to fucking stop. fucking pussy ass football.

I hear what you are saying and when I look at what we are putting on the field I agree.  One thing we don’t talk about or perceive to be an issue is how difficult it is to recruit really solid, no miss O linemen.  It is much easier, coming from a more robust pool, to recruit quality running backs or Qbs than truly sure fire big butts.  As evident, we have done a horrific job and probably been a tad unlucky with recruiting.

Look back the last 2-3 years at the recruits we all thought we had to have that we missed out on who have been busts or are not seeing much playing time now.

Bottom line?  Line coaches have to work their butts off.  Too many of them are lazy or have weird personalities that hinder talking to and gaining relationships with recruits. You see examples of freshmen who come in and start playing right away.  They are athletic freaks and are very very rare.  Most have to be developed and this is still where coaches earn their money.  Some can, some can’t.  We will see what we have at Texas in 2-3 years and that timeline  will be almost impossible to speed up.

21 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Y'all are fucking pussies, and crying and blaming the coach because you're fucking idiot fuckfaces that have cognitive capacities similar to a fucking amoeba. 

The fact is that Sark took a team with  clearly inferior players, opened up a lead, but was undone because he has shit options at OLine and a dearth of athleticism on defense. 

I'd twll you to stop being fucking losers with shitty understandings of what it takes to win football games, but you're fucking morons, and that's what morons do. 

Spot on man. It’s a fucking loss. Sark doesn’t have all of his tools (players) yet. If this was year 3-4, then be ready to jump off the cliff. The first half was just a preview of what Texas can be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

there really wasn't much out there, the decent ones that did portal/transfer'd went to programs that had more recent success in both development and challenging for championships.

They addressed LB/DE and yet we still are hurting there.  Grabbing OL bodies from the portal to throw numbers at it, would have just thrown more wrenches.  This is who we have right now, and they better start closing in on these OL recruits.

1 hour ago, Texvet16 said:

Totally dude….it’s been reported by college football analysts ( horns247, Inside Texas)not named monkeydoughnuts that Sark pulled back on going after offensive linemen in the portal due to his belief that what he had on the roster was sufficient. There were plenty available at the time that could have contributed here but we won’t know if they would have come or not because Sark didn’t pursue. Now we have a rag tag offensive line playing red rover with opposing defensive lines. 

It's hard to know what you got looking from the outside in. You don't have much tape on the backups, and the line was better with Cosmi on it. It's not like you can call Tom Herman and ask. Now if he doesn't address it going forward then that's a problem.

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Everyone always wants to use this once-in-a-lifetime, lightning in a bottle example when discussions like this come up. Meanwhile, there are hundreds, literally thousands of examples that go the other way.

While true that it's unlikely Sark becomes Saban, the point of using Saban as an example is to show that 6 games is not enough time to know if he's mediocre, unlucky, or just bad at his job. If we can give someone like Herman four years, I ain't giving up on Sark for losing this one. 

43 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sark doesn't know shit about defense. We are ranked 106 out of 130

I think blOwU has trotted out some average to shitty to really shitty defenses over 21 years and all they have to show for it is a title, about 15 big 12 titles and a couple playoffs. So let’s not worry about his defensive acumen just yet. If we wins a big 12 title in the next two years he’s instantly the best coach we’ve had since Mack lol. 

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I think blOwU has trotted out some average to shitty to really shitty defenses over 21 years and all they have to show for it is a title, about 15 big 12 titles and a couple playoffs. So let’s not worry about his defensive acumen just yet. If we wins a big 12 title in the next two years he’s instantly the best coach we’ve had since Mack lol. 

And, as I’ve said - the last two assclown head coaches we’ve had were in no position to even think about a big 12 championship in their first season. 

whoever is saying that it isn’t a possibility to win the big 12 this year are either a giant,  gaping vagina and/or a fucking regard. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

A couple of points back at you.

Mack was coach over a decade ago. He started the fall, and he deserves the vitriol he receives for that. 

That said, he’s not directly at fault for the program being in the state it’s now.

2ndly, there’s nothing “chicken little” about looking at a coach’s past results and expecting those to continue. In fact, it’s rooted in pretty damned solid logic.

you can, though. College coaches don't have the option of tanking. It's win now, as much as possible every year. Our offensive line and to a lesser extent DBs -- shit almost everywhere -- have been fucked since Mack left. 

Strong fixed the QB thing and to a certain degree the DBS -- but he was having to throw them all out there as true freshmen and sophs, when in the glory days of this program we could redshirt Earl Fucking Thomas. We were that fucking stacked. Think about how far off that baseline we've been since then, and consider that is where your progam must be to compete at the level we expect.

Same goes for the OL. While our pre VY lines weren't elite, they were very good and we were able to ease studs in slowly. Redshirt some, spot duty for others, and so on. 

Strong comes in and Mack left him a handful of decent players on d he had for one year, and nothing at all on offense after he lost the reasonably good QB Mack left him for not one but two fucking years. We all thought it smart of Strong not to burn Heard's shirt because we realized in year one how fucked we were with Mack's scraps....And then heard didn't work out. Buechele looked pretty good for a bit, got nailed in the rib/armpit area in the Cal game, and wasn't the same after with his deep balls. And in a reasonaby decent program left behind by a non-dickhead coach, Buechele would not have see the field in meaningful minutes until his third year in the program.

That was the problem, come to think of it. We used to have a program. Mack left behind a roster

9 hours ago, theBlackJuanba said:

Spot on man. It’s a fucking loss. Sark doesn’t have all of his tools (players) yet. If this was year 3-4, then be ready to jump off the cliff. The first half was just a preview of what Texas can be. 

This is true, but also running a 2nd and long play instead of running out the clock on the 3rd quarter, along with returning 3 straight kickoffs in which 2 didn't make it back to the twenty and the third resulted in a game changing fumble are all coaching mistakes.  Let's not forget using a timeout and not making a 4th and long when you should've kicked a FG and saved the timeout.  Players not executing was a problem but Sark also contributed pretty heavily to the collapse.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's your site but you are being the bitch ass for banning the "fire STeve" thread OP and trying your best to imitate Looch. Fuck , let the guy vent and let it fall to the bottom. 
We gave up 21 point led and lost to OU again MAN. Fans are upset and want to bitch. Chill out and correct shit tomorrow when the sobriety kicks in for all of us , but stop banning peeps 

All of us are pissed off, only some are being little bitch babies about it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Everyone always wants to use this once-in-a-lifetime, lightning in a bottle example when discussions like this come up. Meanwhile, there are hundreds, literally thousands of examples that go the other way.

We all know Saban and Urban caught lightning in a bottle, but what we’re presupposing is maybe they didn’t 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eggo said:

While true that it's unlikely Sark becomes Saban, the point of using Saban as an example is to show that 6 games is not enough time to know if he's mediocre, unlucky, or just bad at his job. If we can give someone like Herman four years, I ain't giving up on Sark for losing this one. 

Sagan’s career record was 43-26 (.623) before joining LSU (if I’ve counted correctly).

Michigan State was 5-6, but officially 0-11 due to ncaa violations in 1994 (the year before Saban got there).

10 hours ago, chemHORN said:

This is true, but also running a 2nd and long play instead of running out the clock on the 3rd quarter, along with returning 3 straight kickoffs in which 2 didn't make it back to the twenty and the third resulted in a game changing fumble are all coaching mistakes.  Let's not forget using a timeout and not making a 4th and long when you should've kicked a FG and saved the timeout.  Players not executing was a problem but Sark also contributed pretty heavily to the collapse.  

Wonder if SARK gets a report after the game about "opportunities missed/mistakes made" ??

I agree that on 2nd down at end of 3rd quarter right after the HORNS penalty, SARK should have allowed clock to run out to rest players and regroup for the 4th quarter for that 2nd and long play.  That 2nd down play looked rushed, and the offensive players were not mentally ready to execute that play.

I also agree that after two returns on kickoffs fall short of the 25ydline, that the 3rd time TEXAS should not have returned that kick.  

Better clean that second half offensive shit up -- looked like Arky game bullshit again.  Bucky on HornFM this morning is frustrated that SARK didn't try a few "Draw Plays" in second half to slow down the blOU pass rush...

Not sure WTF the defense is gonna do to get better -- HORNS are currently 9th in defense in the B12 only one spot better than Kansas.  

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if SARK gets a report after the game about "opportunities missed/mistakes made" ??

I agree that on 2nd down at end of 3rd quarter right after the HORNS penalty, SARK should have allowed clock to run out to rest players and regroup for the 4th quarter for that 2nd and long play.  That 2nd down play looked rushed, and the offensive players were not mentally ready to execute that play.

I also agree that after two returns on kickoffs fall short of the 25ydline, that the 3rd time TEXAS should not have returned that kick.  

Better clean that second half offensive shit up -- looked like Arky game bullshit again.  Bucky on HornFM this morning is frustrated that SARK didn't try a few "Draw Plays" in second half to slow down the blOU pass rush...

Not sure WTF the defense is gonna do to get better -- HORNS are currently 9th in defense in the B12 only one spot better than Kansas.  

We will play less productive offensive teams.

I suspect we will settle in somewhere around the middle of the conference as far as D goes.

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Sagan’s career record was 43-26 (.623) before joining LSU (if I’ve counted correctly).

Michigan State was 5-6, but officially 0-11 due to ncaa violations in 1994 (the year before Saban got there).

You are missing the point trying to argue a percentage point here of there. The point was a lot of good coaches throughout history didn't come out setting the world on fire right away. Context matters.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Is Carl Sagan available then?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are missing the point trying to argue a percentage point here of there. The point was a lot of good coaches throughout history didn't come out setting the world on fire right away. Context matters.

The real point is that most coaches good or otherwise DONT follow the career path of a Saban or Dabo. 

Sarkisian has a ways to go to change his own career path.