This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, hook me said:

It took Michigan 7 years to "sit atop" a shitty conference with Harbaugh. Before that they placed second in their division once & 3rd or worse 5 other times. I would expect Sark would have to make the conference championship game before year 7 in order to stick around.

His resume is light years better than sarks. Harbough won 10 games his first two years there. Next dumb shit excuse?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They finished 10-3 his first two seasons and there’s this other team I mentioned that is pretty good.

The defense he inherited had taco charlton, Frank clark, jabril pepper, jourdan Lewis, Chris Worlmley, ryan Glasgow, Delano hill, and Ben gedeon. Every one of those guys was drafted 4th round or higher and 3 of them were first rounders. Sark didn’t inherit a 1/16th of that talent. Ha 

Don’t bother. They’re too busy making bullshit excuses as to why Texas can’t do something. 

I’ve never said otherwise. I said 10 wins this year (including post season) was my expectation. In retrospect to last year, we had 8 wins right there for the taking. If we don’t blow those OU, OSU and BU in consecutive weeks, I think we likely beat WVU or KU, if not both. In my opinion, we have easily underachieved each of the past two seasons. That is not to say the talent is where I hope it goes.

It wasn’t a lack of talent that has caused us to fall short so often it was other shit. Someone just make a play. Make one better play call in a critical situation. Use all of your offensive resources. Chew a refs butt so you get a call, any call.

Just like in Herman’s last season, conference championship game appearance is the same measuring stick for this season. If we do fall short, that doesn’t mean there aren’t positives.

I’m not in the fire Sark camp if we don’t win 10 games next year. He does bring a number of things to the table that if he continues to recruit with the given resources, that it could be justifiable to retain him falling short of that. But make no mistake the goal next year should be a Big 12 championship. With that goal, likely means 10 wins during the regular season.

You can’t screw around waiting for next year cause you don’t get three years minimum for each player anymore. We may not have Sanders, Ewers or Worthy after next year. We need to figure out how to win with what we’ve got.

The defense he inherited had taco charlton, Frank clark, jabril pepper, jourdan Lewis, Chris Worlmley, ryan Glasgow, Delano hill, and Ben gedeon. Every one of those guys was drafted 4th round or higher and 3 of them were first rounders. Sark didn’t inherit a 1/16th of that talent. Ha 

Wow. A buncha NFL underachievers there. Perhaps their talent wasn’t quite as good as thought.

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Awesome. That changes nothing about where we should be standing in this version of the big 12.

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His resume is light years better than sarks. Harbough won 10 games his first two years there. Next dumb shit excuse?

The OP wasn't what is "Harbaugh's resume" it was "Michigan sits atop a shitty conference" which was wrong on every level imaginable until last year, year 7 of Harbaugh. A year after he had to completely restructure his deal in order to stick around & not get fired. They finished better than 3rd in their own division exactly once prior to last year. If there's dumb shit in this thread it's because you stepped in it on your way in today & have drug it across every page.

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They finished 10-3 his first two seasons and there’s this other team I mentioned that is pretty good.

OSU has sat atop the Big 10 much like OU in the Big 12, Bama in the SEC (though UGA is starting to break the stranglehold), & Clemson in the ACC.

Outside of the PAC 12 every conference has had a daddy for the last decade. We're not the Big 12 daddy, OU is. We're not OSU & expecting Sark to become OSU in 2 years is a bit absurd. There's nothing wrong with slowly climbing our way back to the top so long as we're making progress. That would be what Michigan did & it worked for them. I'm not advocating for waiting 7 more years, hell I'm not saying he should get a 4th year at this rate, I'm just saying if he goes 9-3 next year & is in the CCG that's legitimate forward progress.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not saying he's going to accomplish that at all. I'm far from a Sark apologist & last year was an embarrassment, but if he follows 5 wins up with 7/8 & then follows that up with 9 and a conference championship appearance why are some fans not willing to accept it? Because he has 1 loss too many? That's idiotic considering what the last 13 years have looked like. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, hook me said:

The OP wasn't what is "Harbaugh's resume" it was "Michigan sits atop a shitty conference" which was wrong on every level imaginable until last year, year 7 of Harbaugh. A year after he had to completely restructure his deal in order to stick around & not get fired. They finished better than 3rd in their own division exactly once prior to last year. If there's dumb shit in this thread it's because you stepped in it on your way in today & have drug it across every page.

OSU has sat atop the Big 10 much like OU in the Big 12, Bama in the SEC (though UGA is starting to break the stranglehold), & Clemson in the ACC.

Outside of the PAC 12 every conference has had a daddy for the last decade. We're not the Big 12 daddy, OU is. We're not OSU & expecting Sark to become OSU in 2 years is a bit absurd. There's nothing wrong with slowly climbing our way back to the top so long as we're making progress. That would be what Michigan did & it worked for them. I'm not advocating for waiting 7 more years, hell I'm not saying he should get a 4th year at this rate, I'm just saying if he goes 9-3 next year & is in the CCG that's legitimate forward progress.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not saying he's going to accomplish that at all. I'm far from a Sark apologist & last year was an embarrassment, but if he follows 5 wins up with 7/8 & then follows that up with 9 and a conference championship appearance why are some fans not willing to accept it? Because he has 1 loss too many? That's idiotic considering what the last 13 years have looked like. 

I'd kill for Texas to have been Michigan the last 7 years. Having season tickets at Michigan for the last 7 years. 

I have never once wanted them to fire harbaugh. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Sure, over the past four decades, OU has many more 10-win seasons, Big 12 titles, and Heisman Trophies (VY and Colt were robbed).

Here's why. The stark difference between Texas and OU since Royal’s golden era: Hiring "the Guy."

The Guy (Great, transformative coach who wins titles)
— Since 1972, OU hired TWO great college coaches (Switzer, Stoops) and one very good coach (Riley, likely to be great). 
— Post-Royal 1976, Texas hired ZERO great college coaches, one very good coach (Brown), and one good coach (Akers). 
Not the Guy (Can't get it done, for whatever reason, no excuses)
— OU had three: Gibbs (5 years), Schnellenberger (1 year), and Blake (3 yrs). Total years: 9 years. (Possibly Venables, too)
— Texas had four: McWilliams (5 years), Mackovic (6 years), Strong (3 years), and Herman (4 years). Total years: 18 years (23 including Mack's last four and Sark's 2021 train wreck). 

It’s that simple, yet so complex. OU lucks into Stoops who finds Riley, while UT stumbles along with Strong, Herman, and now Sark. We point all the fingers, BMDs, no real search, blah blah blah. Bottom line: UT made more bad hires who had to be fired. Absurd, but true. 
—It’s that simple, as some of you have stated here. It's hiring the Guy! There is no full-proof "science," to it. No a priori formula. Just assemble evidence, references, and insights as best you can and hope like hell you hire The Right Guy. If not, keep trying. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
Typo.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, hook me said:

This is complete bullshit. Every great coach has showed something in the first two years that lead you to believe they could be the guy. I've literally posted every national championship winning coaches first two years dating back aside from guys who took over already rolling programs and guys who are kind of the exception to the rule, meaning they won championships 4 years or later.

It is known no matter the decade that within the first two years you will have a good coach or not.

Sarkisian is a dog shit coach who has never won anything so how do you expect people to blindly trust a guy like that?

As for Harbough.....his resume compared to Sarks gives you reason why you'd give that guy time to turn around a program.....also had 10 wins in 3 of 4 of his first seasons, but yeah that guy was so bad holy shit they almost fired him! His worst season is 8-5, no covid year doesn't count for anyone. Sark's best season may be 8-5, this year lol.
image.png.7670c52073c30b1d4b923913ff180a82.png

Oh there is also his success in the NFL....

image.png.3887abf54cc4347be019625dc87db507.png

vs Sarkisians resume
image.png.2f836c0ff58e20c3f484eb4c50d8c6b2.png

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is complete bullshit. Every great coach has showed something in the first two years that lead you to believe they could be the guy. I've literally posted every national championship winning coaches first two years dating back aside from guys who took over already rolling programs and guys who are kind of the exception to the rule, meaning they won championships 4 years or later.

It is known no matter the decade that within the first two years you will have a good coach or not.

Sarkisian is a dog shit coach who has never won anything so how do you expect people to blindly trust a guy like that?

As for Harbough.....his resume compared to Sarks gives you reason why you'd give that guy time to turn around a program.....also had 10 wins in 3 of 4 of his first seasons, but yeah that guy was so bad holy shit they almost fired him! His worst season is 8-5, no covid year doesn't count for anyone. Sark's best season may be 8-5, this year lol.

vs Sarkisians resume

I'm just fucking dying laughing at harbaugh even being mentioned in the same fucking stratosphere as sark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will have some holes but that is a Sark problem. The ability to plug holes is there like never before. 
Next season he loses all of the Herman contributions and it’s purely on him and what he has done. Year 3 cannot be a step back year. If it is then why the fuck did he hire him?

I mean, that’s a great question. I don’t know why you’d hire a guy who’s never been able to take a program beyond 8 regular season wins in 6 full seasons prior to that point (8 seasons now) with the expectation that he would exceed that, let alone consistently. That’s part of why I don’t expect it.
Sorry man there is a portal, free transfers NIL. Those expectations in year 3 not unreasonable. If he does less with the talent. I literately quoted imma the other day with that bullshit excuse we will hear next year about defense.  Put up or shut up. 10 wins regular season or gtfo. 

That’s true, I’ll concede I was really thinking about the roster + recruiting class in place and not accounting for any portal adds. In reality, speaking on expectations for next year is a fool’s errand - even more so than usual - before seeing what happens with the portal, both arrivals and departures.
I'm just fucking dying laughing at harbaugh even being mentioned in the same fucking stratosphere as sark

The Michigan comp comes up every so often and it’s never not hysterical.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

As if the college comparisons aren't funny enough, Harbaugh as a NFL head coach for 4 years compiled a record of 44-19-1, went to 3 straight NFC championships, one superb owl game, and was nfl coach of the year. Sark was hired to replace Shanahan as the OC of the NFLs #1 offense, and was shitcanned 2 years later for fucking it up. 

Those two are basically the same person, so of course it makes sense to draw a parallel between the two. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, that’s a great question. I don’t know why you’d hire a guy who’s never been able to take a program beyond 8 regular season wins in 6 full seasons prior to that point (8 seasons now) with the expectation that he would exceed that, let alone consistently. That’s part of why I don’t expect it.

That’s true, I’ll concede I was really thinking about the roster + recruiting class in place and not accounting for any portal adds. In reality, speaking on expectations for next year is a fool’s errand - even more so than usual - before seeing what happens with the portal, both arrivals and departures.
The Michigan comp comes up every so often and it’s never not hysterical.

My other favorite comp is Dabo...

2008 - Interim

2009 gets team to conference title game in second year. 3rd year takes a step back but 4th year 10, 11, 11, 10.

image.png.21642e17dd48c90bf938fce095e6aac4.png

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That considered, my big issue is that the guy doesn’t know how to win. He’s inherently a loser. He chokes. He’s erratic. I think he needs help on gameday with the playcalling and maybe that would clear things up for him to get over the hump. 

In my completely uninformed opinion, I think he is more of a technical manager and not a leader, besides lacking the killer instinct. Like a good technical person, he can identify issues and work on fixing them, but is probably not the inspirational and driven leader that gets the most out of the people and the opportunities. If so, this is more of a character trait and hard to learn. Doesn't mean technical guys cannot succeed (Gates and Zuckerberg) but the inspirational ones shoot for the moon and often get it (Jobs and Musk).

I hope Texas provides that monopoly advantage for the technical guy like Sark to execute on. If he can't succeed here, he doesn't have the personality to build it at lesser advantaged places (imuo).

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He is “P” from Shaggy. Always the smartest guy in the room. Always is laughing at how stupid and/or ignorant everyone else is and how only he sees it straight. Always defending mediocre coaches. I assume he’s an assistant high school coach in Pearland/Katy/Cypress or an energy trader or a codewriter. Same personality where everyone else around them is the problem, and never them, over and over again. 

This post is the best example of "Every Accusation is a Confession" I have ever seen. If there is a guy who has always thought they were the smartest guy in the room its been you. You've thumped your chest on some variation of Texas message boards for as long as I can remember. False Bravado. Always claiming to know a guy. Always claiming to have inside info. 

Energy trader? Code writer? Coach? I work for me, myself, and I my guy. I slave for no man. 

I will tell you the same thing I told your boy Derka. The recruiting board is thataway. You are king over there. Stay in your lane. You have a nice following over there. It's cute. 

Over here we don't give a shit whether your sister's boyfriend has a friend at Steele that says so and so is committing to Texas. We only care when they sign. So until then we know where to find you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don’t get the incessant white knighting. And over beating Kansas? I don’t want to see us lose, and I know ctj doesn’t want to see us lose.

This thread makes me sad. I have invested thousands upon thousands of dollars into Texas Football since 1995. And I know he’s invested 10x what I have, if not way more. I’ve traveled thousands of miles, braved crappy weather, seen abysmal failure after abysmal failure, and thankfully, some highs. I remember when we were The Joneses. Now I feel like I deserve a big fat refund. 

We don’t need to play the “better fan game.” Most of us are pretty damned bought in and just express ourselves differently. I get that you want Sarkisian to be the guy. At this point, I’d take a statue of Tom Landry. I don’t give two shits, but celebrating beating Kansas when we have utterly shit the bed for no reason in the second half against Tech, OSU, and TCU makes no sense.

I want to see us win and I am tired of watching us shoot ourselves in the dick over and over and over. It has been an absolute beating since Mack decided to retire on the job. We were in the top 3 in winning percentage not that long ago, and now we celebrate beating Kansas.

Stop accepting mediocrity. NIL gives us advantages we have never had before, but we have to have a head coach who can see the big picture in a game. if Sarkisian can gain that perspective, more power to him. If not: next!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

This post is the best example of "Every Accusation is a Confession" I have ever seen. If there is a guy who has always thought they were the smartest guy in the room its been you. You've thumped your chest on some variation of Texas message boards for as long as I can remember. False Bravado. Always claiming to know a guy. Always claiming to have inside info. 

Energy trader? Code writer? Coach? I work for me, myself, and I my guy. I slave for no man. 

I will tell you the same thing I told your boy Derka. The recruiting board is thataway. You are king over there. Stay in your lane. You have a nice following over there. It's cute. 

Over here we don't give a shit whether your sister's boyfriend has a friend at Steele that says so and so is committing to Texas. We only care when they sign. So until then we know where to find you. 

I go wherever the fuck I want, and I don’t give a shit who likes it or doesn’t. You don’t have an actual retort to your predictable silliness, so you deflect. “Stay in your lane.” This is my lane. Don’t worry, you can still stan for whoever the coach is, whether I’m present or not. We get it, it’s pathological for you and you can’t help it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I just don’t get the incessant white knighting. And over beating Kansas? I don’t want to see us lose, and I know ctj doesn’t want to see us lose.

This thread makes me sad. I have invested thousands upon thousands of dollars into Texas Football since 1995. And I know he’s invested 10x what I have, if not way more. I’ve traveled thousands of miles, braved crappy weather, seen abysmal failure after abysmal failure, and thankfully, some highs. I remember when we were The Joneses. Now I feel like I deserve a big fat refund. 

We don’t need to play the “better fan game.” Most of us are pretty damned bought in and just express ourselves differently. I get that you want Sarkisian to be the guy. At this point, I’d take a statue of Tom Landry. I don’t give two shits, but celebrating beating Kansas when we have utterly shit the bed for no reason in the second half against Tech, OSU, and TCU makes no sense.

I want to see us win and I am tired of watching us shoot ourselves in the dick over and over and over. It has been an absolute beating since Mack decided to retire on the job. We were in the top 3 in winning percentage not that long ago, and now we celebrate beating Kansas.

Stop accepting mediocrity. NIL gives us advantages we have never had before, but we have to have a head coach who can see the big picture in a game. if Sarkisian can gain that perspective, more power to him. If not: next!

The thing that frustrates me the most with the fan type you're talking of in some of your paragraphs is that they ALWAYS have an excuse.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

This thread is hilarious but there’s a better than zero chance that Sark is just an average coach who still actually wins at Texas. Mack Brown couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag but it didn’t matter 90% of the time because he out talented his competitors and he generally hired good assistants. The last two dipshits just couldn’t figure out how easy this job really is. With the NIL advantage, this job is even easier now.

I don’t love Sark and have been frustrated by the meltdowns but I’ve seen year over year progress. I believe he’s fairly competent, definitely more so than the last two bozos. The recruiting is really good.  This is the best set of assistants we’ve had in forever. That’s probably good enough to get this team consistently in the playoffs when it expands. 

And if it’s not then we’ll just shitcan him and find the next guy.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This thread is hilarious but there’s a better than zero chance that Sark is just an average coach who still actually wins at Texas. Mack Brown couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag but it didn’t matter 90% of the time because he out talented his competitors and he generally hired good assistants. The last two dipshits just couldn’t figure out how easy this job really is. With the NIL advantage, this job is even easier now.

I don’t love Sark and have been frustrated by the meltdowns but I’ve seen year over year progress. I believe he’s fairly competent, definitely more so than the last two bozos. The recruiting is really good.  This is the best set of assistants we’ve had in forever. That’s probably good enough to get this team consistently in the playoffs when it expands. 

And if it’s not then we’ll just shitcan him and find the next guy.

Mack Brown has his own failures, but he’s 87x the coach Sark is.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I go wherever the fuck I want, and I don’t give a shit who likes it or doesn’t. You don’t have an actual retort to your predictable silliness, so you deflect. “Stay in your lane.” This is my lane. Don’t worry, you can still stan for whoever the coach is, whether I’m present or not. We get it, it’s pathological for you and you can’t help it. 

Nothing to retort to since all you did was personally attack. But if you want an actual retort about FOOTBALL I will give it to you. 

I speak on things I know about, and like you, unapologetically. I don't wander into gun threads, even though I have guns. I don't wander into the watch thread even though I have watches. My only real time in the recruitment thread was telling you guys the inside scoop on Braylan Shelby and why he was gonna choose USC. I said that because I knew it as fact, and beside that I stay out of that thread as well. 

Everyone can think NIL is THE game changer or not, but the reality is kids largely play for a guy and not the organization. The school is a huge cog but to think WHO is recruiting said kids isn't important is short-sighted. Kids these days come with a team of people around them that are acting as a think tank, processing all the variables. The talented ones are thinking "who can get me to the league". So they are looking at the system they run and how they fit in it, the exposure they are gonna get, if the coach is going to be there the entire time or not, and every other variable. 

Steve Sarkisian is an intelligent guy, who has an amazing offensive mind. No surprise the Manning Family is interested in entrusting the heir apparent to him. Tom Herman, who I shit on from day one, would never be able to land Manning because that family isn't sending their kid to be a battering ram. One of the things I was concerned about since before Tom ever dawned a burnt orange shirt. They understand that Sark's system translates. Worthy is here because of Devonta Smith. Sark got him 1856 yrds and 23 TDs. However, Lincoln Riley is really good at utilizing receivers too, so he may jump ship now that Riley is in his home state, and his productivity isn't what he hoped it would be. WHO matters. If I think a coach is going to kill it in recruiting I am hopeful they are successful because at the end of the day if you have 5 Kelvin Banks on this team we are undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Mack Brown has his own failures, but he’s 87x the coach Sark is.

1-10

4-7

6-6

1-10

1-10

6-4

7-4

That ain’t exactly Nick Saban territory. It’s not even Sark territory. Dude put up three (3!) 1 win seasons in his first five as a head coach. Asshole didn’t become 7 win Mack until his seventh season as a head coach. Spurrier derisively called him Mr. Football because he had such little respect for his coaching prowess. He could recruit though. And when he had better talent and good coaches, he won. 

Don’t let the last two clowns fool you into thinking that this job is that difficult. Hire great assistants. Recruit. Win. It’s not that complicated. This is the easiest job in the country if you are competent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1-10

4-7

6-6

1-10

1-10

6-4

7-4

That ain’t exactly Nick Saban territory. It’s not even Sark territory. Dude put up three (3!) 1 win seasons in his first five as a head coach. Asshole didn’t become 7 win Mack until his seventh season as a head coach. Spurrier derisively called him Mr. Football because he had such little respect for his coaching prowess. He could recruit though. And when he had better talent and good coaches, he won. 

Don’t let the last two clowns fool you into thinking that this job is that difficult. Hire great assistants. Recruit. Win. It’s not that complicated. This is the easiest job in the country if you are competent. 

I didn’t say Mack was Nick Saban. I said Mack is 87x times the HC that Sark is.

Once he finally reached 7 wins in 1991, Mack never went below 7 wins again until 2010. Mack took an actual basketball school in the same conference as a dominant Bobby Bowden led FSU to 4 different 9 (92) or more win seasons and 10 win seasons 3x (93, 96, 97). Mack took a moribund Texas program to from 5 wins under Mackovic 97 to 9 wins (98) and the. Proceeded to rip off at least 9 wins for the next 12 years (including 98 in the count).

Since his return to UNC (4 seasons), he’s already had the exact same number of 8 and 9 win seasons as Steve Sarkisian has had in his entire career (1 each).

As for Spurrier, Mack has the same number of MNCs and something Spurrier doesn’t. An undefeated MNC.

Mack Brown is 87x the HC that Steve Sarkisian is. I stand by that statement and the data supports it.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

And we all can see how NIL isn’t a cure-all by looking at Jimbo and aggy. All the NIL money in the world won’t fix that dumpster fire 

ATm built their “best class evar” class on bag $$. It was the last of the truly under the table purchased classes. Bad timing and bad coaching will doom it. The portal exodus has already begun.

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1-10

4-7

6-6

1-10

1-10

6-4

7-4

Recruiting is what it's all about. You can either look like an asshole or a genius depending upon who is playing for you. If Sark had a Banks at center and guard we are undefeated. The main reason Texas has been floundering is a lack of quality QB play. We haven't had anyone decent since 09. Meanwhile, the other Blue Bloods have one seemingly every year. Next year will be the first year in my lifetime that we've had 3 QBs with NFL tools on the roster at the same time. Hell, it could be this year, but folks get the point. 

I liked Charlie because he recruited well at Florida and again at Louisville. That never materialized here, and he brought that staff here. Tom Herman wasn't going to attract top signal callers with that offense, and he was spotty everywhere else, plus he brought that staff here. Sark seems to be filling all the holes nicely, and he brought a solid staff here. His handling of Devonta Smith got us Worthy, who's freshman year got us Cook and a whole lotta eyes. Every ball we throw to Worthy has some 5 star receiver salivating. Mac Jones got Quinn back and the Mannings signed on. The way Banks came in looking solid right away will get us other solid O-line recruits, as well as Terrence Brooks and Guilbeau seeing the field early. 

Sark may or may not make it, but there is no arguing this is the best recruiting we've done since the 2000's. 

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Recruiting is what it's all about. You can either look like an asshole or a genius depending upon who is playing for you. If Sark had a Banks at center and guard we are undefeated. The main reason Texas has been floundering is a lack of quality QB play. We haven't had anyone decent since 09. Meanwhile, the other Blue Bloods have one seemingly every year. Next year will be the first year in my lifetime that we've had 3 QBs with NFL tools on the roster at the same time. Hell, it could be this year, but folks get the point. 

I liked Charlie because he recruited well at Florida and again at Louisville. That never materialized here, and he brought that staff here. Tom Herman wasn't going to attract top signal callers with that offense, and he was spotty everywhere else, plus he brought that staff here. Sark seems to be filling all the holes nicely, and he brought a solid staff here. His handling of Devonta Smith got us Worthy, who's freshman year got us Cook and a whole lotta eyes. Every ball we throw to Worthy has some 5 star receiver salivating. Mac Jones got Quinn back and the Mannings signed on. The way Banks came in looking solid right away will get us other solid O-line recruits, as well as Terrence Brooks and Guilbeau seeing the field early. 

Sark may or may not make it, but there is no arguing this is the best recruiting we've done since the 2000's. 

100% and this is the main thing that feeds my hope. He’s destroying recruiting Mack style. I think he’s worse at hiring assistants, I think he’s worse at in game adjustments, and it feels like he struggles to win close games (something Mack Brown was a genius at while at TEXAS), but fuck is he recruiting lights out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I didn’t say Mack was Nick Saban. I said Mack is 87x times the HC that Sark is.

Once he finally reached 7 wins in 1991, Mack never went below 7 wins again until 2010. Mack took an actual basketball school in the same conference as a dominant Bobby Bowden led FSU to 4 different 9 (92) or more win seasons and 10 win seasons 3x (93, 96, 97). Mack took a moribund Texas program to from 5 wins under Mackovic 97 to 9 wins (98) and the. Proceeded to rip off at least 9 wins for the next 12 years (including 98 in the count).

Since his return to UNC (4 seasons), he’s already had the exact same number of 8 and 9 win seasons as Steve Sarkisian has had in his entire career (1 each).

Mack Brown is 87x the HC that Steve Sarkisian is. I stand by that statement and the data supports it.

You are leveraging Mack's past vs Steve's future which is unknown. He is saying if Mack and Steve had started at the same time Steve would've been better than Mack to this point. 

10 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

ATm built their “best class evar” class on bag $$. It was the last of the truly under the table purchased classes. Bad timing and bad coaching will doom it. The portal exodus has already begun.

And that's just it. For all their efforts Jimbo couldn't get a top signal caller to come there and flounder around in his offense despite all the bag money in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are leveraging Mack's past vs Steve's future which is unknown. He is saying if Mack and Steve had started at the same time Steve would've been better than Mack to this point. 

I fully understand the argument you and he are trying to make. I say “hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first”.

Mack’s record is what it is. If Sark can pull off 1/3 of what Mack did at UNC and Texas I’ll defend the fuck out of him. 

Edited by lilMAC25

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

vs Sarkisians resume

Again, the OP wasn't "what was Harbaughs resume" it was "Michigan has sat atop a shitty conference". I understand there's a lot going on in this thread, but if you're going to try to have any sort of reasonable dialogue (lol I could barely type that out with a straight face) at least try to stay on topic. If you'd like to talk about resume, I have no illusions of grandeur about Sarks resume & any argument of "he took a shitty Washington program & took them to a bowl game" was wiped out when he blew the RRS & was embarrassed at home by KU. I'm sure there are plenty of people blindly following Sark, I'm not one of them, I'm just of the opinion that 9-3 with a CCG next year would be fine with me. If that's not fine with you because it's a year late & a win short then that's fine. The likelihood of it happening at all seems pretty small but TCU being 11-0 & firmly in the CFP with a week & a CCG to go didn't seem very realistic in August, September, October, or most of November & yet, here we are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

100% and this is the main thing that feeds my hope. He’s destroying recruiting Mack style. I think he’s worse at hiring assistants, I think he’s worse at in game adjustments, and it feels like he struggles to win close games (something Mack Brown was a genius at while at TEXAS), but fuck is he recruiting lights out. 

I think we should differentiate pre national title Mack recruiting and post. 

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Holy shit you’re P. Now it all makes sense.

If I’m not mistaken he defended Charlie longer than I did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, immamac said:

I'd kill for Texas to have been Michigan the last 7 years. Having season tickets at Michigan for the last 7 years. 

I have never once wanted them to fire harbaugh. 

Oh absolutely the same, it's pretty crazy they almost got rid of him. I'm pining for the days of 10 wins & national relevance & would even enjoy a pitstop there for several years if needed. 

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Holy shit you’re P. Now it all makes sense.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I’m not mistaken he defended Charlie longer than I did. 

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Dude saw the 4D chess Chuck was playing and felt bad for the rest of that couldn’t.

So condescending and so very wrong. Good times.

I was wrong about Strong and have admitted as much. However, the tail end of the argument was me NOT wanting Herman, which people read as me not thinking Strong was doing a poor job. I saw Herman as a guy who in the two years he was at UH never proved he was a good coach without someone else's players, and never proved he could recruit. I also said his offense would flounder in the Big12, and its low output would have us in dogfights every week because by nature it can't pull away from teams far enough. It's all still out there if you wanna go find it. Strong was my kryptonite. Admittedly. 

That said you guys were chest bumping the Herman hire and talking about shit like Mensa. I remember that he was supposed to be the next Mack Brown. The Savior. Jesus Christ himself returned as a football coach. Guy had a single good season and we pounced on him like a fat white girl on a black dude. Laughable business decision after the fact. Turns out those were just regular crackers, not Ritz. Now here we are trying to figure who's turn it is to be wrong this time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I was wrong about Strong and have admitted as much. However, the tail end of the argument was me NOT wanting Herman, which people read as me not thinking Strong was doing a poor job. I saw Herman as a guy who in the two years he was at UH never proved he was a good coach without someone else's players, and never proved he could recruit. I also said his offense would flounder in the Big12, and its low output would have us in dogfights every week because by nature it can't pull away from teams far enough. It's all still out there if you wanna go find it. Strong was my kryptonite. Admittedly. 

That said you guys were chest bumping the Herman hire and talking about shit like Mensa. I remember that he was supposed to be the next Mack Brown. The Savior. Jesus Christ himself returned as a football coach. Guy had a single good season and we pounced on him like a fat white girl on a black dude. Laughable business decision after the fact. Turns out those were just regular crackers, not Ritz. Now here we are trying to figure who's turn it is to be wrong this time. 

Herman sucked, but he was EASILY better than Strong and so far, much better at winning games than Sark. The difference in record and in losses to Kansas are 100% undeniable.

ETA: it’s hard to take seriously anyone who was gong to bat for Strong after 2 seven loss seasons and in the midst of the 3rd. That’s brutally bad judgement. Falling in love with a meth addled stripper level bad judgement. Letting the British Army escape from Dunkirk level bad judgement. Ignoring the oil fields in favor of capturing Stalingrad level of bad judgement.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am still over here belly laughing that people think sark is a great recruiter and that NIL has only a small part to do with it. 

I also think it's funny as fuck that you guys think everyone just left Oklahoma to follow Lincoln Riley for free. He burned the fucking program down by money whipping everyone, staff included. 

It's also funny that you think bags = NIL and work the same way. They do not. Bags go to decision makers that make decisions for their kids. NIL goes to the player and cuts that poison out so the kid actually makes the decision because there is no illusion that they need crooked uncle willy to work the deals. The deals are there and they can get away from crooked uncle willy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, Herman was a last-second drive/FG away from losing to Kansas too (at home, with a 3-year starter at QB). Let’s not give him too much credit there. 

It's so easy to forget losses that never happened, because they were Wins. Funny how that works. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Herman sucked, but he was EASILY better than Strong and so far, much better at winning games than Sark. The difference in record and in losses to Kansas are 100% undeniable.

ETA: it’s hard to take seriously anyone who was gong to bat for Strong after 2 seven loss seasons and in the midst of the 3rd. That’s brutally bad judgement. Falling in love with a meth addled stripper level bad judgement. Letting the British Army escape from Dunkirk level bad judgement. Ignoring the oil fields in favor of capturing Stalingrad level of bad judgement.

When the choices were keep Strong or hire Herman did it really matter? Herman's tenure did nothing for Texas just as much Strong's which is why we are here. Arguing over which shit sandwich was seasoned better is pointless. 

Edited by Thatguy