This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if SARK gets a report after the game about "opportunities missed/mistakes made" ??

I agree that on 2nd down at end of 3rd quarter right after the HORNS penalty, SARK should have allowed clock to run out to rest players and regroup for the 4th quarter for that 2nd and long play.  That 2nd down play looked rushed, and the offensive players were not mentally ready to execute that play.

I also agree that after two returns on kickoffs fall short of the 25ydline, that the 3rd time TEXAS should not have returned that kick.  

Better clean that second half offensive shit up -- looked like Arky game bullshit again.  Bucky on HornFM this morning is frustrated that SARK didn't try a few "Draw Plays" in second half to slow down the blOU pass rush...

Not sure WTF the defense is gonna do to get better -- HORNS are currently 9th in defense in the B12 only one spot better than Kansas.  

I was also frustrated that SARK didn't use a timeout right before the end of the 1st half and run a play or two more in an attempt to score a TD.   

Settling for a FG was a "Damn Coaching Mistake"  😋    

• Hook 'Em 1

Six games in is obviously too early to judge a HC’s tenure but there’s also no route to significant improvement next year that isn’t basically a pipe dream. Most of what’s holding this team back is in the trenches. The OL isn’t going to be any better next year without Kerstetter. The DL could potentially improve a little bit given upside from younger guys like Collins, Broughton, and Dorbah, and I think Justice Finkley could be an instant impact guy on the edge as an early enrollee. But for the most part those units are multi year projects. DL I think is on the right track with recruiting but OL is a mess.

25 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The real point is that most coaches good or otherwise DONT follow the career path of a Saban or Dabo. 

Sarkisian has a ways to go to change his own career path.

Swinney's first job IS this job. A lot of coaches have to come up through the ranks. Mack Brown was 1-10, 4-7, and then 6-6 before getting the UNC gig. We can do this all day.

Edited by Thatguy

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Six games in is obviously too early to judge a HC’s tenure but there’s also no route to significant improvement next year that isn’t basically a pipe dream. Most of what’s holding this team back is in the trenches. The OL isn’t going to be any better next year without Kerstetter. The DL could potentially improve a little bit given upside from younger guys like Collins, Broughton, and Dorbah, and I think Justice Finkley could be an instant impact guy on the edge as an early enrollee. But for the most part those units are multi year projects. DL I think is on the right track with recruiting but OL is a mess.

I think pre-portal, it was a multi-year job to rebuild the lines.  There's going to be an abundance of OL and DL in the portal who aren't happy at their current school, want more playing time, etc.   Texas has a selling point, for sure. 

I think pre-portal, it was a multi-year job to rebuild the lines.  There's going to be an abundance of OL and DL in the portal who aren't happy at their current school, want more playing time, etc.   Texas has a selling point, for sure. 

Counting on guys not good enough to see the field elsewhere as quick fixes isn’t the most inspiring plan. They can be stop gaps but other teams’ backups aren’t going to meaningfully upgrade the level of play on either line.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Counting on guys not good enough to see the field elsewhere as quick fixes isn’t the most inspiring plan. They can be stop gaps but other teams’ backups aren’t going to meaningfully upgrade the level of play on either line.

Chris Beard rebuilt an entire roster with guys from the portal.  There's always going to be players who want more playing time and don't want to wait or aren't having a good time at their current school or who lose their head coach/position coach.    There's way more reasons players portal these days besides "not good enough to see the field elsewhere." 

This is not the portal of old where it was just malcontents and JAGs or flameouts.  OU is starting a transfer OL. 

Until the recruiting on the lines gets to be where Sark needs it, the portal is going to be a tool that we need for next season.  Texas has the "have you seen this shit we have to roll out there that we inherited? You'll get playing time and might start on day 1" selling point.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Chris Beard rebuilt an entire roster with guys from the portal.  There's always going to be players who want more playing time and don't want to wait or aren't having a good time at their current school or who lose their head coach/position coach.    There's way more reasons players portal these days besides "not good enough to see the field elsewhere." 
This is not the portal of old where it was just malcontents and JAGs or flameouts.  OU is starting a transfer OL. 
Until the recruiting on the lines gets to be where Sark needs it, the portal is going to be a tool that we need for next season.  Texas has the "have you seen this shit we have to roll out there that we inherited? You'll get playing time and might start on day 1" selling point.  

I mean, trying to use basketball as a comparison is apples and oranges and you know that, so I don’t know what to say there. Wanya Morris has been in and out of the lineup at OU; they have both a reputation along the OL Texas can’t match and were fortunate with an exceptional exodus at Tennessee. Far from a replicable example.

Everyone pitches playing time to portal guys. No one transfers where they don’t think they’re not going to get a shot at playing. As it stands now the OL is likely going to be worse next year losing a 6th year senior that’s probably its best player, certainly one of its best two. Kerstetter level OTs don’t hit the portal often and this OL needs multiple guys at that level to get where it needs to be. It’s pie in the sky to think this is going to get fixed in a year with transfers.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, trying to use basketball as a comparison is apples and oranges and you know that, so I don’t know what to say there. Wanya Morris has been in and out of the lineup at OU; they have both a reputation along the OL Texas can’t match and were fortunate with an exceptional exodus at Tennessee. Far from a replicable example.

Everyone pitches playing time to portal guys. No one transfers where they don’t think they’re not going to get a shot at playing. As it stands now the OL is likely going to be worse next year losing a 6th year senior that’s probably its best player, certainly one of its best two. Kerstetter level OTs don’t hit the portal often and this OL needs multiple guys at that level to get where it needs to be. It’s pie in the sky to think this is going to get fixed in a year with transfers.

You are being a tad disingenuous here. We are a blue blood, with one of the top 5ish OL coaches in the country on staff, and can offer playing time in a high powered offense that gets peoples attention. Not everyone can pitch half that shit I listed. Bama, Ohio state, and Georgia don’t need them, clemson doesn’t want them, so we have a little niche where it’s a perfect set up for a brockermeyer LT who is unhappy or that bad ass OT from Ohio state who is missing home reportedly. I think we can scrape a good group together and turn it around quicker than you think is all I’m saying. 

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Honestly he scored 48 with that ol?  Maybe he is the guy after all

This can't be said enough.  Sark is doing a pretty damn good job putting points on the board after some shitty OLine recruiting by the two prior coaching regimes.  Hell, even Mack's OLine recruiting took a nosedive in his later years at Texas.  And this with a QB who's only started four games in his college career.

I'm still a glass is half-full kind of guy.  For now.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This can't be said enough.  Sark is doing a pretty damn good job putting points on the board after some shitty OLine recruiting by the two prior coaching regimes.  Hell, even Mack's OLine recruiting took a nosedive in his later years at Texas.  And this with a QB who's only started four games in his college career.

I'm still a glass is half-full kind of guy.  For now.

Mack's OL recruiting woes started much sooner than his "later years." I think the last OL he recruited who got drafted was Tony Hills in the 2003 class.

• Hook 'Em 4

You are being a tad disingenuous here. We are a blue blood, with one of the top 5ish OL coaches in the country on staff, and can offer playing time in a high powered offense that gets peoples attention. Not everyone can pitch half that shit I listed. Bama, Ohio state, and Georgia don’t need them, clemson doesn’t want them, so we have a little niche where it’s a perfect set up for a brockermeyer LT who is unhappy or that bad ass OT from Ohio state who is missing home reportedly. I think we can scrape a good group together and turn it around quicker than you think is all I’m saying. 

I’m being disingenuous but the Brockermeyers and Donovan Jackson, all of whom would be second year guys at their second school, are going to get this thing fixed next year because goddamnit some message board gossip told me so. Okay.

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Mack's OL recruiting woes started much sooner than his "later years." I think the last OL he recruited who got drafted was Tony Hills in the 2003 class.

True.  Our last good offensive line was the 2006 group.  Tony Hills was on the 2007 offensive line, but by then Mack had been recruiting the likes of Chris Hall.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

FWIW, Tony Hills was recruited at tight end.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, D3zii said:

And just for good measure 

Mack Brown 4-2 

+31 point differential 

A8E86ED9-53E1-471C-835F-CED3598A405F.jpeg

I was going to say this season has a 1998 vibe to it. New coach replacing arrogant previous coach, early season setback, Heisman caliber RB.

Hope we can avoid that late season conference loss and get to championship game.

Also, 98' team really got better as the season went along.  OL not the same at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like who Sark is an am happy he is our corch.  Yeah I would have loved to win against the sucking bag of dicks we played against, but I was happy for more than a half.  There are QBs, WRs, and RBs who want to play for him.  We just have to build our supporting systems.

we win with Sark.  I have faith.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, chemHORN said:

My biggest problem with Sark in this game was the end of the 3rd quarter.  2nd and long, could've run the clock out on the quarter and for some god awful reason we ran a play.  Wtf was that? That was Hermanesque 

I was looking for this , as it was on my list. 

I kept thinking no way we try to run a play in OU's noise, burn a few seconds and switch sides of the field. 

I was shocked this actually happened. 

Our 98 team had a really good O-Line. Mack really never recruited well on the O-line outside a few classes. Seems he had a shit ton of highly rated busts too IE Tray Allen and Mason Walters.

Regarding the portal, aren’t our admissions requirements more stringent than most schools outside of Stanford and Notre Dame for transfer athletes? Or is CDC trying to “fix” that?

That may be a factor.

Back on point, this line is almost as bad as the O lines that Charlie had after the purge. We better be patient and trust the process. I feel different about Sark at this point than our previous 2 corches. I think he’s the right guy and he knows we need to upgrade our talent yesterday.

Back on point, this line is almost as bad as the O lines that Charlie had after the purge. We better be patient and trust the process. I feel different about Sark at this point than our previous 2 corches. I think he’s the right guy and he knows we need to upgrade our talent yesterday.

This line is infinitely better, more talented and with substantial more depth than Strongs after the purge. It’s not even in the same stratosphere talent-wise. Every one of our starters might be the best on that line. As much as people dislike Jones here, an honest assessment would not want an undersized DT convert or high school DE convert over him.

I feel good about Sark too.

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Our 98 team had a really good O-Line. Mack really never recruited well on the O-line outside a few classes. Seems he had a shit ton of highly rated busts too IE Tray Allen and Mason Walters.

Regarding the portal, aren’t our admissions requirements more stringent than most schools outside of Stanford and Notre Dame for transfer athletes? Or is CDC trying to “fix” that?

That may be a factor.

Jesus we had like 6 scholarship O-linemen at one point after the purge. David Ash's head fell off, but it didn't matter because it's not like they could bench anyone. It was a tough loss on Saturday, but we are light years beyond where that team was. 

That may be a factor.

Is this a joke? You think the admission requirements for transfers are a factor?

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

So are all you neg repping pieces of dogshit who don't understand a fucking thing about football going to wake up and realize you suck? I won't be holding my breath to say the least.

The amount of neg reps last week was pathetic. Heaven forbid some fans are tired of this bullshit and want shit to change. Sarkisian is a loser head coach. But the people neg repping were too busy handing out orange slices to our head coach last week. And anyone who spoke out against him is just an overreacting pussy who doesn't know football. Lmao. Never fails. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, HRSchenker said:

There's just no leadership on this staff. How the FUCK do you let the OU game happen and follow it up with this kind of goddamn performance?

Have you checked Sarks past as a head coach? He isn't good. This is who he is. 

I don't know how any intelligent person actually thought him as the Bama OC would carry over here. 

• Hook 'Em 2