Texas Men's Golf

texasstrong12

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks after Travis Vick clinched NCAA title for Texas, he's getting pointers from No. 1 Scottie Scheffler in U.S. Open debut

Beth Ann Nichols      June 14, 2022 

BROOKLINE, Massachusetts – Travis Vick’s first-tee experience on Monday at the U.S. Open already ranks as something he’ll never forget. He estimates there were 1,000 people at The Country Club there to watch the other Texas Longhorn in the group – World No. 1 Scottie Scheffler.

The 22-year-old Vick says he’s on a golf high, and rightly so.

GettyImages-1241046560.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

Two weeks ago, Vick clinched the winning point for Texas at the NCAA Championship in Scottsdale, Arizona. One week before that, he shot 9-under 133 in final qualifying at Royal Oaks and Lakewood country clubs in Dallas. Vick eagled the par-5 17th hole at Lakewood to play his way into his first major championship, sweet revenge after being disqualified from his qualifier last year for accidentally playing with 15 clubs.

Vick had lunch with Scheffler ahead of his round at Royal Oaks to get some tips on his home track.

“(Scottie) shot a 58 there, I think,” said Vick. “That gave me confidence that it can be done. That you can go low.”

Their conversations around The Country Club on Monday were more about life than golf, though Vick enjoyed the up-close-and-personal view of Scheffler’s game, calling his iron play “underrated.”

“It was a very relaxed atmosphere,” said Vick. “It wasn’t intense grind mode.”

Trey Vick typically caddies for his son but will be outside the ropes this week as swing coach Adam Porzak takes over.

Last summer, Porzak was on the bag for student Brian Stark when he met Vick in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Amateur. Vick got off to a hot start, but then started to struggle with a swing flaw he hadn’t been able to shake mid-round.

“I turned to him and said, ‘Hey, do you know what I’m doing wrong?” Vick recalled. Porzak said yes.

Walking down the fairway together late in the match, Vick turned to Porzak and asked, “Hey, when can I get that lesson?”

Oklahoma State’s Stark, who was walking a few paces behind, said, “Not now!”

It makes for a good story, of course. Since Vick began working with Porzak, he has tightened up his wedge game and made great strides with his short game, though Vick is quick to interject that there’s still much to learn.

“When he has a wedge in his hand now,” said Porzak, “I feel like every time I’m just waiting for it to drop next to the hole. I can honestly say it didn’t used to be like that.”

Vick appreciates the vulnerability Scheffler displayed after his Masters victory, when he talked about how he “cried like a baby” Sunday morning from the stress.

After the Masters, Scheffler spoke with members of College Golf Fellowship, a faith-based ministry that Vick is heavily involved in, attending several retreats over the years. Scheffler and good friend Sam Burns co-host a retreat each year.

Vick was a three-sport athlete at Second Baptist in Houston through his junior year, winning state championships in golf and baseball and leading his team to the semifinals in football as quarterback.

“It helps with pressure situations,” said Vick of being a multi-sport athlete. “Making that lag putt on 18, putting myself in what the world would classify as high, tense pressure situations.

“When you’ve done that in multiple sports, it helps change your mindset, allows you to focus in.”

When Scheffler competed as an amateur in the U.S. Open, he played practice rounds with Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson and said he’ll always do the same for young amateurs because he learned so much from those experiences.

For Trey Vick, the value of his son’s experience with Scheffler extended far beyond golf.

“Scottie just seems to be so consistent in the way he treats everybody,” said Trey. “I just really appreciate that. You couldn’t ask for anything more as a dad. Because you want your son to come along and to be steady as a human being, which is more important.”

2016-travis-vick-110_t780.jpg

Travis Vick played three sports in high school through his junior year. (Golfweek photo/Tracy Wilcox)

As Vick prepares for the first major of his young career, Scheffler said the best advice he can offer is to keep it light and focus on incremental improvements.

“I find a lot of guys really try to make these quantum leaps where it’s, like, I’m going to make this swing change, and it’s going to totally change my game,” said Scheffler. “That whole rebuilding process I think has a tendency to really hurt guys.

“For me, I always try to get a little bit incrementally better over time, versus making these kind of drastic changes to improve a ton at once.

“Then don’t take you yourself too seriously, because you’re going to hit really, really bad shots. It’s not all about hitting perfect golf shots. It’s about managing your misses and responding to those.”

Thanks for finding this article @tx 3 putt

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB 

The Brew: A story worth cheering for this week - UT golf national championship hero Travis Vick at the US Open

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN        3 hours ago

Good Afternoon Horns247!!

— As the golf world gnashes its teeth about top players deciding between taking tens of millions of dollars to break away from the PGA Tour and go play on the LIV Tour (organized by former player Greg Norman), here’s a story Texas fans can cheer for this week at the 122nd U.S. Open Championship at Brookline, Mass.:

Among the four Longhorns in the field, along with world No. 1 and defending Masters champion Scottie Scheffler; three-time major champion Jordan Spieth; and Beau Hossler; will be rising Texas senior Travis Vick, who will be competing as an amateur after clinching the winning point for the Longhorns’ golf national championship two weeks ago.

Win or lose, Vick’s week has already been spectacular as he played a practice round at Brookline on Monday with Scheffler.

“That Longhorn bond is strong,” UT golf coach John Fields told Horns247.

It was something Scheffler wanted to do for Vick, because Jordan Spieth played a U.S. Open practice round with Scheffler when Scheffler competed as an amateur.

Vick and Scheffler actually bonded over lunch a week before the NCAA Championship when Vick sought out Scheffler for some advice about playing Royal Oaks in Dallas - Scheffler’s home course - as part of Vick’s U.S. Open qualifying.

Vick would go on to shoot a two-round total of 9-under in final qualifying at Royal Oaks and Lakewood country clubs, eagling the par-5 17th hole at Lakewood to qualify for his first major championship.

Making Vick’s qualifying for the U.S. Open even more rewarding was the fact he’d been disqualified from his U.S. Open qualifier a year ago for inadvertently playing with 15 clubs (14 are allowed).

Vick asked Fields to walk with him during his final round of match play at the NCAA Championships in Scottsdale, Ariz., because some Arizona State fans were getting pretty rowdy while cheering for the Sun Devils (and cat-calling Vick) in the title match.

Fields told Vick to rely on his experience as a three-sport athlete at Second Baptist High School in Houston, where he won state championships in golf and baseball (as a pitcher) and helped lead the football team to the playoff semifinals as quarterback.

Vick two-putted from 20 feet on the 18th hole at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale to clinch Texas’ fourth golf national title and then ran off the green to celebrate with his teammates, who were charging toward him.

“I asked Travis, ‘Did you get cat-called as a pitcher or quarterback?’” Fields said. “He said, ‘Yes.’ I said, ‘You must’ve blocked that stuff out pretty well in those sports. Just block it out again.’ And he did. When he needed that two-putt for the championship, I never had a doubt.”

Vick, who tees off in the second group on Thursday morning at Brookline, is a story Texas fans can cheer for this week.

Thanks for this article @field 

https://golf.com/news/ex-college-star-reveals-liv-golf-recruitment/

‘Crazy amount of money’: Rookie pro reveals LIV Golf’s recruitment tactics

coody-768x432.jpg

BY: ART STRICKLIN JUNE 23, 2022

Pierceson Coody, grandson of Masters champion Charles Coody, prepared for his third Korn Ferry start as a professional this week the same way he had prepared for the first two: by spending 8 to 10 hours a day playing and practicing at the host site, in this case Falmouth (Maine) Country Club; bunking in a budget hotel; and dining at humble local establishments. (His culinary highlight in Falmouth: a lobster roll, which he devoured while overlooking the harbor.)

Call it no-frills mini-tour living, with one significant subplot: Coody recently passed on a golden opportunity to leave it all behind. 

About a month ago, Coody, who was then wrapping up his senior year at the University of Texas, turned down what he and his father Kyle described as a “multi-million-dollar” offer from the Saudi-financed LIV Golf Series. The deal would have made Pierceson, who earned $31,125 in his first two KFT starts, an instant millionaire, with a chance to get even richer in LIV’s huge-purse, no-cut events.

But Coody, 22, who earned his Korn Ferry membership by finishing first in the 2022 PGA University Series, said that while signing with LIV would have given him financial security, it also would have taken something away: his lifelong dream of playing on the PGA Tour.

“I might be sitting on my couch with millions in my bank account watching my friends play on the PGA Tour, and that would have been devastating,” Coody said.

“I had people ask me in college if I had been contacted by the LIV tour and I said, ‘No, no, no,'” he added. “When it actually happened, it was easier to say no than I would have imagined.”

LIV’s recruitment of Coody underscores just how aggressively the upstart league — which this week announced its latest signees, Brooks Koepka and Abe Ancer — is courting players of all ages and abilities. LIV has stalwarts like Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson, but it also has locked up less proven talents, like the reigning U.S. Amateur champion, 23-year-old James Piot.

Coody said he never talked directly to LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman or any other LIV officials during the negotiations; all communication was handled by Mike Chisum, the Coody brothers’ Plano, Texas-based agent, who passed along LIV’s offer to Kyle.

Chisum declined to be interviewed for this story. A LIV spokesperson also declined to comment other than to say, “We have been actively identifying next generation talent.”

Coody said the first call from LIV to Chisum came in early May as Coody and his college teammates were preparing to play in the NCAA Regionals after finishing third in the Big 12 tournament.

The LIV proposal included a multi-million dollar signing bonus in exchange for a two-year commitment, Coody said. Also included, Coody said, were all travel expenses to tournaments this year and next, plus guaranteed prize money regardless of where he finished in any event.

Coody said he was given 12 days to decide on the offer.

Norman also requested Coody’s cell-phone number so he could pitch Coody personally.

“I shut that down in a hurry,” said Kyle, who also played golf for the University of Texas before testing his game in the pro ranks.

Kyle said LIV officials later tried to sweeten the pot. If Pierceson agreed to sign with the league, Kyle said, LIV would also extend an offer, for a different amount, to Pierceson’s twin brother, Parker, who also was a University of Texas standout and now plays on the PGA Tour Canada.

coodybros.jpg

Pierceson, left, and Parker celebrating a win in 2019.

“Coming in early May while they were getting ready for NCAA Regionals and trying to graduate, I thought it was a huge distraction,” Kyle said of LIV’s advances. “I told Pierceson if you play good golf, the money will take care of itself.

“It may sound strange to say, but turning down millions of dollars was the best thing he could do for his career.”

Pierceson said he and his father jotted down the pros and cons of the lucrative offer while making a final decision before the NCAA Championship, in late May, which Texas ended up winning.

“Seeing that kind of money was kind of a wow moment for me,” Pierceson said. “It was a crazy amount of money, but I love the American tour. I never saw myself as a LIV golfer, but a PGA Tour golfer.”

Pierceson said he took comfort from his close friends and North Texas role models, Will Zalatoris, Scottie Scheffler and Jordan Spieth, all of whom have remained committed to the PGA Tour.

“I know all of those guys and if they believe in the PGA Tour and believe what it stands for and what they’re doing, then I think I made the right decision,” he said.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas is on a roll with assistants getting top jobs this year - 2 for Schaefer, 1 for Fields, 1 for Joffe, 1 for White, 1 for Elliot

There are some assistants in track and field that are in high demand. 

Particularly, Pete Watson. I have no idea how Texas has managed to keep him on staff when they don't allocate scholarship money in distance. They must be paying him extremely well. 

Pierceson Coody earns first Korn Ferry Tour title at the Live and Work in Maine Open

June 26, 2022      By  PGATOUR.COM

coodyearly-847-omarrawlins.jpg

Pierceson Coody earned his first Korn Ferry Tour title Sunday at the Live and Work in Maine Open, carding a four-round total of 20-under par at Falmouth CC, five strokes clear of Jacob Bergeron.

Making just his third career Korn Ferry Tour start, Coody began the final round in a share of the lead with Maine native and rising Florida State redshirt junior Cole Anderson. Coody, 22, carded 7-under 28 on the front nine Sunday and hung tough on the back nine despite back-to-back bogeys on Nos. 10 and 11.

Coody, who played collegiately at the University of Texas, finished No. 1 on the 2022 PGA TOUR University presented by Velocity Global Ranking, earning automatic Korn Ferry Tour membership and entry into all open, full-field Korn Ferry Tour events this summer. He has quickly taken advantage.

With the win, Coody moves to No. 31 on the Regular Season Points List, suddenly well positioned to chase his first PGA TOUR card via The 25.

Here are five things to know about Pierceson Coody …

1. He finished No. 1 on the 2022 PGA TOUR University Ranking.

In the second year of the PGA TOUR University presented by Velocity Global Ranking, which awards points based on performance in collegiate and amateur events over a two-year ranking period, in addition to PGA TOUR events, Coody earned the No. 1 spot. The top five on the final PGA TOUR University Ranking earned Korn Ferry Tour membership this summer. The Dallas-area native won the 2020 Western Amateur and represented the United States on the 2021 Walker Cup team, overcoming a stomach bug to win both his singles matches and help the U.S. to a 14-12 victory over Great Britain and Ireland. He also held the No. 1 spot on the World Amateur Golf Ranking in 2021, which he described as “a lifelong goal.”

2. He overcame a freak arm injury last fall.

Last October, while participating in a relay race at the University of Texas athletic training facility, Coody ran into a padded concrete wall and sustained a fractured radial head in his right arm. He was in a sling for three weeks, didn’t grip a putter until January and didn’t make full swings until February. He knocked off the rust quickly with a victory in his first collegiate event back, the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational in early April. He then proceeded to help the Longhorns to the 2022 NCAA Division I men’s golf team title; Coody defeated Arizona State’s Preston Summerhays in the final match as part of Texas’ 3-2 victory.  

3. He has a twin brother who has also played a TOUR event.

Coody comes from a good deal of golf heritage; his grandpa Charles won the 1971 Masters and his dad Kyle played on the Korn Ferry Tour in the early 1990s. His twin brother Parker is also chasing the upper echelon of professional golf as well; the two competed side-by-side at the University of Texas for the past four years, and Parker finished No. 13 on the 2022 PGA TOUR University Ranking to earn PGA TOUR Canada membership this summer. Parker made his PGA TOUR debut at the 2020 Shriners Children’s Open; Pierceson has competed on TOUR at the 2021 AT&T Byron Nelson and U.S. Open.

4. His swing coach also used to coach Tiger Woods.

During the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, Coody made trips to the living room lab of swing instructor Chris Como to work on his game. Como has also coached the likes of Tiger Woods, Bryson DeChambeau and two-time World Long Drive champion Kyle Berkshire. “It’s like a golf bachelor bad,” once remarked Coody of the lab that includes motion-capture technology, high-speed cameras and launch monitors, and even a basketball net and hockey goal.

5. He’s on track to earn a PGA TOUR card.

Will Zalatoris, who practices alongside the Coody twins at Maridoe GC outside Dallas, predicted that Pierceson and Parker will earn their TOUR cards sooner than later. With his victory in Maine, Pierceson is very much on that trajectory. After missing the cut at the BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by TD Synnex in his first Korn Ferry Tour start as a member, he rebounded quickly with a T4 at last week’s Wichita Open Benefitting KU Wichita Pediatrics before his resounding victory in Maine. In just three starts, he stands No. 31 on the Regular Season Points List with five events remaining. The top-25 on the Points List upon the conclusion of the Pinnacle Bank Championship presented by Aetna in early August will earn 2022-23 PGA TOUR membership.

HOOK 'EM 🤘

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Former Longhorn and No. 1 amateur Brad Elder leads Texas Golf HOF inductees

745ba56d-3925-4d11-a3ca-31bfbf5161e7-NIKEBRADELDERIRONSHOTRB.jpeg.b3e74da79627105a73a924fa3f2d15b7.jpeg

A chronic wrist injury changed the course of Brad Elder’s professional career, but there’s no questioning his impact on the University of Texas men’s golf program, where he was a two-time first-team All-American.

After capturing the 1994 5A Boys State Golf Tournament individual title and 1994 Western Amateur, Elder came to Austin, where he finished a stellar collegiate career as the nation's No. 1 amateur according to Golfweek/Titleist amateur rankings, and was named the winner of the Fred Haskins Award, presented annually to honor the most outstanding collegiate golfer in the United States. He amassed more than $2.6 million in earnings as a pro while bouncing between the then Web.com Tour and the PGA Tour, and played in a trio of U.S. Opens.

Elder is one of five individuals who were unveiled in the Texas Golf Hall of Fame's 2022 class earlier this week. He’ll be honored at the hall’s traditional Gathering of Eagles golf tournament and marker unveiling at Brackenridge Park along with a formal induction dinner ceremony at San Antonio Country Club, both to be held on Oct. 17. All festivities are open to the public with information at texasgolfhof.org.

Others on the list include PGA Tour pro Ryan Palmer, a pair of golf pro/teachers in Gordon Johnson and Ronny Glanton, as well as Barney Adams, the founder of Adams Golf, which founded the Tight Lies club series. Also, Houston Country Club will be honored.

As for Elder, he went undefeated in both the 1997 Walker and Palmer Cups and won the prestigious Northeast Amateur in Rhode Island. He won a trio of events on the Web.com Tour, now known as the Korn Ferry Tour, and had a number of top-10 finishes during his stints on the PGA Tour.

"It's a dream come true. I am beyond excited and so very appreciative," Elder said of the honor in a statement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...