Rock bottom?

Fastbreak

This game was an abomination. We can talk about how well we performed to build the initial lead but honestly this OU team isn’t very good and more importantly a good Coaching staff finds a way to hang onto that lead. 

it’s not the final say on this coaching staff but it’s a damning data point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This was Buffalo/Houston 1993 type shit here. 

This is one the most jawdroppingly amazing expressions of overreaction I have seen in what is now close to a quarter-century of hanging around these boards.

Buffalo rallied in the second half from 32 down with their backup QB (who unlike Williams over Rattler, was not the better player) and absent their HOF RB Thurman Thomas.

So let's say we knocked Williams and Kennedy Brooks out and were up 32 in the third quarter and Rattler was back out there sucking up the joint. And you know, or should know, that its harder to make up four-five score deficits in the NFL than college so I think you could conservatively add a touchdown. 

So yeah, if we were up 50-10 in the third quarter and the gooners were stuck with Rattler and absent Brooks, and we wound up losing 51-50, then you might have a fucking point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

I guess most people will feel rockbottom the day our first official sec schedule is released. The day it comes out, reality will hit:  we’ll be the conference’s 5th or 6th best team. Middle of the pack under-achievers. 8-4 or 7-5 til Gabriel blows his horn. We were Texas. 

even our head coach says that's big boy football and we have to get to that level so hopefully we're done recruiting to play 7 on 7.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh I see. Thank you for explaining your post with this brilliant insight that we should now be concerned that the University of Texas football program will relocate to another state.

youve-really-outdone-yourself-tom-kenny.

Hmmm, let’s have McCombs setup a satellite MBA program in South Florida, then move the program there. 

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Negged for dogged dickheadedness. You have no perspective. Stop embarrassing yourself with idiotic generalities. 

We've been around awhile. We know what miserable depth looks like. Texas Bowl versus Arkansas was a recent one. 2014. 31-7.

image.png.c0a0ff2a4f860b9f5120ccb3e43c1638.png

That's the world telling you that you're in the pit.

This is a nice reminder of the "Watson" unit of measure.  It's not one of those "Ye Olde" measurements like the cubit or furlong or fathom.  In fact, it's fairly recent.

• Haha 1

You kids have no perspective. Having to witness the complete annihilation of both our offense and defense up close was rock bottom.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.a9cc2e490246962ed7ac0b093dd99f43.jpg

Yesterday was a meltdown, but not 66-3 total hopelessness.  And this is exactly why we've been wandering in the desert for the past decade...dumbass fans think we should automatically be at 10 or 11 wins every year, and when we're not, they want a whole new coaching staff, setting us back more years.  We're literally playing with walk-ons on the defensive side and a converted WR at S.  Not because we want to, but because that's the best of what we have left after years of defections.

And get off my lawn.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

getting pantsed 65-13 is bad.

getting beat 12-0 in a grueling game is bad.

grinding out 35-24 loss when our team is top 5 is bad.

this was a pretty exciting game, and we beat the spread, and probably most expectations. 

it's NOT a moral victory... but it ain't rock bottom.

• Hook 'Em 1

getting pantsed 65-13 is bad.
getting beat 12-0 in a grueling game is bad.
grinding out 35-24 loss when our team is top 5 is bad.
this was a pretty exciting game, and we beat the spread, and probably most expectations. 
it's NOT a moral victory... but it ain't rock bottom.

We did not cover but otherwise yes.

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

If you would have told me that rock bottom would be when be when our QB throws for 400 and 5 TDs with no ints…

What I am trying to wrap my head around is how we could not just luck into a decent o-line in 16 years. OU can put out a respectable to great line every year. We’ve had 4 head coaches, 5-6 line coaches, so something else clearly has to be the problem.

Where the fuck have you been for 10 years dipshit?

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Rock bottom: arguing if today or 6-7 other games in the last 10 years is rock bottom or not. Yea we’re at rock bottom and have been for awhile.

Rock bottom was Charlie Strong.

We're past that. Now we just need to get lucky with a head coach. Tom wasn't it. It could still be Sark. Only time will tell.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

You kids have no perspective. Having to witness the complete annihilation of both our offense and defense up close was rock bottom.

Yesterday was a meltdown, but not 66-3 total hopelessness.  And this is exactly why we've been wandering in the desert for the past decade...dumbass fans think we should automatically be at 10 or 11 wins every year, and when we're not, they want a whole new coaching staff, setting us back more years.  We're literally playing with walk-ons on the defensive side and a converted WR at S.  Not because we want to, but because that's the best of what we have left after years of defections.

And get off my lawn.

This is nowhere near rock bottom. Yesterday sucked, and Texas played some really bad football in the second half, but they never outright quit. We saw what quit looks like at the Rout 66 game and a couple of times at the Cotton Bowl under Mack. I’m gonna give Sark and his staff a chance to recruit and develop before I start calling for change. Yes, that was a shameful collapse after such a momentous start, but I hope the players and coaches can shake it off, get back to work, and keep trying to get better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

If you would have told me that rock bottom would be when be when our QB throws for 400 and 5 TDs with no ints…

What I am trying to wrap my head around is how we could not just luck into a decent o-line in 16 years. OU can put out a respectable to great line every year. We’ve had 4 head coaches, 5-6 line coaches, so something else clearly has to be the problem.

Because we’ve had 4 head coaches, 5-6 line coaches

• Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

And get off my lawn.

Visitors side 50 yard line. Miserable seats to be in. You got to see up close the ass kicking, watch the UCLA players hooping and hollering, and get to hear shit from the UCLA fans too. I bet that was a long day for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

This was the most emotionally ragged after a game that I have felt in a long time.  A game against a rival, that for while it looked like we might hang 60 on and beat them by 3-4 TDS and then let them come back and beat us in the end was an Ivan Drago dick punch.  This was emotionally exhausting, but rock bottom is when you watch a program go out and just no longer give a fuck.  That was Chuck and Kansas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

since this is the settling in as the misery thread du jour, x-posting my first take from mohorn's misery thread....

+++

BHS index holding steady

if you adopt the "show me 10 wins" mindset, the devastation is real, but expected, and the gut-punch kick in the nuts is less severe

parcells: we lose to thieves in devastating fashion

+++

and now having slept on it, this is nowhere near as bad as any of the mack rapings (4), 12-0, 66-3 or kansas

this is no worse than #8 on the list of all-time worst losses and nowhere near "rock bottom"

rock bottom is not a 7-point losss in one game regardless of how it happened

and it can be measured in multiple games, and sometimes is measured as an entire season

in 1956 under ed price we went 1-9

in 1938 dana bible went 1-8

the entire strong tenure, 3 years under .500

mcwilliams was under .500 for 2 years in a row

chevigny was under .500 (6-12-1) for both of his 2 years

now, mcwilliams recovered with 1990

and bible recovered with 1940

chevigny, price and strong were fired

the devastation is real because of how well the first half went

we have a coach who had the team ready to come out and throw the first punch, and the second, and the third, and if i think on it, the last time we had a coach who did that in this game was akers

the devastation is real because of how everyone felt at halftime, myself included, and i have been the biggest neg-rep-receiving "parcells" naysayer since pig

it has taken 8 years of being battered and pummeled to arrive at a place where i can adopt a zen-like approach to the program

we lose to thieves in devastating fashion

that's what we are, until we're not

turtle was a Maxwell Smart missed-it-by-that-much increment away from blowing it in the exact same way 3 years ago

the only difference from 2018 is this time we lost, but the way the game felt *during the game and before the result* was exactly the same, with different players and different rosters

tl/dr

don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe

i think we are on an upward trajectory, i like the coaches, expecting instant nukes was delusional, and we are what our record says we are

don't ever cash in future wins until they are on the fucking board

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Visitors side 50 yard line. Miserable seats to be in. You got to see up close the ass kicking, watch the UCLA players hooping and hollering, and get to hear shit from the UCLA fans too. I bet that was a long day for you.

Correct, and watching all that unfold is exactly why yesterday doesn't phase me as much as it would otherwise.  Once you witness a murder up close, everything else pales in comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If sark wants to be the man which I know he does he better raid the portal and juco hard as fuck for o-lineman and still recruit high school studs to come here. No one we recruit on the line is coming in and starting next year as a true freshman and dominating. We need upperclassman lineman and experienced ones at that. If he does this and I think he will things can turn around dramatically. We will see. If he opts for the “let’s just develop what we have” shit he is fucked and won’t be here after his third season.

3 minutes ago, Texvet16 said:

Far from rock bottom , there were a lot of positives things that happened yesterday. Heartbreaking loss, but it wasn’t a 65-14 loss or something like that. 

Why do people keep saying this? 

This was the biggest blown lead in the series history and in Texas football history. Texas had never lost a game leading by 21 points until yesterday. But keep kidding yourself. 65-14 sucked but I had zero hope in that game from kickoff till the end. I was riding high even into the fourth that we would figure out at the least how To hang on to game we should have won by 14+. I personally feel more devastated yesterday than I did watching 65-14. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Get a grip.  It suck to lose to OU no matter what, but this was a lose I can stomach. 
we’ll kick their ass at Jerry world in December. 

oh no we won't- the league will absolutely do everything in it's power to prevent that from happening

if we think yesterday's fuckery was egregious, just wait

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why do people keep saying this? 

This was the biggest blown lead in the series history and in Texas football history. Texas had never lost a game leading by 21 points until yesterday. 

Yes, but Texas had that lead with 3/4 of the game still to play, and there was no question even at that point that Texas would need to score a lot more to win. And we knew the defensive limitations. Another way to look at it is that Texas was completely dominated for an entire half. Given all of that, the outcome of the game wasn’t (a) particularly surprising or (b) anything close to “rock bottom” for this program. And this doesn’t even register in terms of “heartbreaking”…Lubbock in 08 or the Georgia Cotton Bowl or Colt’s Rose Bowl injury, sure. This game? No.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

oh no we won't- the league will absolutely do everything in it's power to prevent that from happening

if we think yesterday's fuckery was egregious, just wait

I had to listen to the broadcast on the radio.  I haven’t watched any of the game yet and I doubt I will.  But my son who was at the game mentioned some fuckery 

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
Because I don’t proofread

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yes, but Texas had that lead with 3/4 of the game still to play, and there was no question even at that point that Texas would need to score a lot more to win. And we knew the defensive limitations. Another way to look at it is that Texas was completely dominated for an entire half. Given all of that, the outcome of the game wasn’t (a) particularly surprising or (b) anything close to “rock bottom” for this program. And this doesn’t even register in terms of “heartbreaking”…Lubbock in 08 or the Georgia Cotton Bowl or Colt’s Rose Bowl injury, sure. This game? No.

Yeah, yesterday doesn't feel nearly as bad as a whole lot of other losses. OU got their shit together and exploited our glaring weaknesses. It sucks, but we didn't get embarrassed. We blew a lead to a better team. It happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think a lot of you confuse being really emotionally pissed with rock bottom.

This is like a night where you went out had too much to drink took home a chick you thought was a solid 7 or 8 fucked her and woke up and realized she was a 2.  It's a shitty feeling yes, but it's not rock bottom.

Rock bottom is when you are completely sober look at her, know she's a 2....and do it anyway.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We choked away a game to the worst OU team in probably a decade that was playing a true freshman while our in state rival best the best team in the country. It’s bad. Very very bad. This team showed its as irrelevant today as it was then. 

So the #24th team lost by 1 TD to the #6 team and you declare #24 is now set back 6 years?  Come on man…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1