Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

Another moster game for KD. 34pts/11reb/8ast in a win over the 76ers.

The anti-KD bias in the NBA is insane. KD is scoring more than Curry, at better efficiency, and is playing better defense. He also has the Nets at #1 in the East with no Kyrie and a hobbled Harden. But Curry is the runaway MVP favorite 🙄

I don't know if it's an anti-kd bias as much as it is a pro Steph bias. Steph has cultivated a more likeable, fan-favorite persona and the Warriors are certainly a more likeable team. NBA mvp voting has had more than a few questionable results over the years. 

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Another moster game for KD. 34pts/11reb/8ast in a win over the 76ers.

The anti-KD bias in the NBA is insane. KD is scoring more than Curry, at better efficiency, and is playing better defense. He also has the Nets at #1 in the East with no Kyrie and a hobbled Harden. But Curry is the runaway MVP favorite 🙄

He wouldn't be a runaway right now but he might still edge KD. Idk. It would be close. 

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-kevin-durant-reclaims-no-1-spot

With the efficient Durant leading the way, Brooklyn now owns a record of 12-3 in clutch situations (games within five points over the last five minutes), which ranks as one of the best in the league. Durant is one of five players in Nets history to produce a 50-point game, joining Vince Carter, Kyrie Irving, Caris LeVert and Stephon Marbury. Durant is the only player in Nets history to post a 50-point game and a triple-double in back-to-back outings. “Kevin is the most unaffected basketball player maybe of all time,” Griffin said. “High-difficulty shots, and he just shoots it like nobody’s there.”

That record in "clutch games" is insane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Durant is 33. He has MAYBE 5 productive years left. If he stays relatively injury free, he might average 2,000 points per year.  That puts him ahead of Jordan and Kobe and at 4th all time. If he plays another 2 years after that at 1,500 points a year, he could pass Kareem.

That is pretty amazing considering he lost 2 years with injury and started a year later than Kobe or LeBron.

• 2 weeks later...

Digging through some old playoff stuff as I fill out a playoff bracket for this season and as I'm looking at the 2011 OKC Thunder I notice that 22 year old Kevin Durant, in his 2nd career playoff series, went (by game) 41, 23, 26, 31, 41 on 47/43/84 shooting splits. 

Dude averaged 32.4 a game with 40 in the opener and close out with just 6 playoff games ever under his belt. And the season before that he scored 30 ppg and came 2nd in MVP voting at 21 years old. 

Very few guys have been as good as he has for as long as he has.

I mean - I've been poring over his numbers for over a decade and have a bunch of them committed to memory and it still surprises me when I see stuff like that. 

Edited by ztejas

Does anyone that hates on this dude pay attention to stuff like this? 

It's hard to have a much better attitude for a guy that went through the season he just did and had it capped off by getting swept for the first time in his career and losing in the first round for the first time since 2010. 

• Hook 'Em 3

KD, from the time he was at Texas until now, with all his talent, has always approached the game as if there was a right way, a best way to play it, and he hasn’t figured it all out yet. He is always trying to be a better player and a better teammate. 

Rooting for him has been a great fan experience. 

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Does anyone that hates on this dude pay attention to stuff like this? 

It's hard to have a much better attitude for a guy that went through the season he just did and had it capped off by getting swept for the first time in his career and losing in the first round for the first time since 2010. 

Idk what to think about KD the person anymore. He used to be such a cool humble guy and most of his interviews still come off that way. But then you see his social media shit (check todays) and it’s like wtf? Attacking Barkley and calling himself a “god”..

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Idk what to think about KD the person anymore. He used to be such a cool humble guy and most of his interviews still come off that way. But then you see his social media shit (check todays) and it’s like wtf? Attacking Barkley and calling himself a “god”..

He's "attacking" Barkley because Chuck delegitimized his accomplishments on TV. I think he's allowed to clap back. 

The Twitter stuff is just goofy. He's routinely hilarious on Twitter. Sometimes it's cringy. It is what it is I guess. LeBron does the same shit. Just a weird era. 

Looks like the "god" label is a running thing. Like saying young king or the king.

He hangs out with Kyrie a lot. Probably too much. 

Edited by ztejas

26 minutes ago, naija said:

he would be getting killed on here if he wasn't a Longhorn

Maybe. Durant isn't lacking for non-Longhorn supporters. He's one of the most visible athletes in the world. 

Either way - what is the point of comments like this? You might as well say "Vince Young wouldn't be idolized as much around here if this wasn't a Texas board". No shit. Roger Clemens is more likely to find defenders of his steroid history on here than on an OU board. Jamaal Charles probably has his legacy pumped up a bit more here than elsewhere. 

Not sure what you're looking for. 

On a personal note, does Durant have much of a life outside of basketball? He clearly loves the game seemingly more than some of his fellow elite level players. But does he do anything? Collect cars? Have a main chick? Hands on investment in businesses and non-profits? Seems like he's either playing ball or acting like a bitch on TV or social media. Comes across as kind of a lost soul. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

On a personal note, does Durant have much of a life outside of basketball? He clearly loves the game seemingly more than some of his fellow elite level players. But does he do anything? Collect cars? Have a main chick? Hands on investment in businesses and non-profits? Seems like he's either playing ball or acting like a bitch on TV or social media. Comes across as kind of a lost soul. 

He's worth a third of a billion and he told your mom that she sucks nice cock. 

1 hour ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

KD isn't hard to find. so many people coming in here asking questions about KD when in reality none of you have any real interest in finding the answers, you just want to bitch about something. Wanna know what KD is like? hmm, if only he famously ran a youtube channel where he puts out his own content and unadulterated thoughts all of the time.

https://youtube.com/c/TheBoardroom

to answer your question, basketball is pretty much his singular focus as long as he's playing. he's already come out and said that he's not tying himself down nor is he having any kids while he's playing, for multiple reasons, the main one being that he's married to the game and not in a space to raise a kid. what a poor, pathetic lost soul he is. 🙄 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Durant carrying the United States to the gold in Tokyo is hands down the most impactful decision and follow through that anyone has ever made in the history of the US basketball program. 

I'm honestly so fucking sick of trying to defend this guy's actions when he selflessly put an entire fucking nation on his back to show the rest of the world that we're still the best when it comes to roundball. 

I mean it's actually disgusting how little credit KD gets for that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll say this about Durant.  The dude loves basketball and playing basketball.  It's all he's ever wanted to do and all he wants to do.  Some athletes have a wide range of interests and are great interviews.  Durant talks about basketball.  However, he saddled his legacy to dudes that don't seem to give a shit (Kyrie, Harden, Simmons, etc.)  I kinda of feel bad for him in that regard but he chose that path.  Meanwhile, the dudes in GS love basketball.  

His legacy might be tarnished about the lack of titles outside GS and it shouldn't be.  Maybe he cares, maybe he doesn't.  He seems to.  He seemed thin skinned about the simple question of where his jersey will be retired at.  Prolly might be OKC to be honest.  Don't see it anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s fair enough. The guy really tried to be a good guy in OKC, active in local charity and supportive of the community. He just wanted a new scene, and for lots of reasons. 

On the old site, there was a thread that was scores of pages long, starting in 2014 or so, speculating on what KD would do when his contract expired. Would he extend for a year? Sign a max with OKC? Try free agency?

I speculated that he would go free agent and was told I didn’t know what I was talking about. There was truth to that- lots of guys (Aggie08, Bateman) understood capology and the NBA players agreement a lot better than I did. I just felt that a guy like KD, if he was going to stay, he would decide early on that he was staying and would sign and announce in the way most helpful to his team. That he wasn’t doing that was very telling to me.
I would be surprised if GS doesn’t get around to retiring his jersey, too, maybe after Klay and Green, but around the same time as Iggy. I think they appreciate what he brought (dominance). They lost the finals in 2016 and faced a Cleveland team in 2017 that had just gone 12-1 through the playoffs first three rounds.  

On 4/27/2022 at 12:50 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

His mom seems like the type who would give any woman perceived to be encroaching on her place in his life, holy hell.

i'm the biggest AI fanboy on this site, and social media posts like that make me weep for today's young basketball fans. not only did AI play in what was probably the shittiest era quality-wise in NBA history, he was also wildly inefficient, and spent all of his prime years playing in a terrible eastern conference. the difference in LeBron and KD as players is negligible; the difference in KD and AI is laughable. but uh, great post. 

• Like 1

There is a terrific modern comp for Iverson- it’s Westbrook. The Westbrook fanboys reject that talk, as a put down of Russ, but it really isn’t. Iverson, like Russ, was a terrific but flawed player. Both had incredible motors, neither ever backed down, both were willing to take over a stalled offense (for better or worse), both were always the leader. High volume scorers, mediocre shooters…they are cut from the same cloth. 

On 4/29/2022 at 4:56 AM, statsman said:

There is a terrific modern comp for Iverson- it’s Westbrook. The Westbrook fanboys reject that talk, as a put down of Russ, but it really isn’t. Iverson, like Russ, was a terrific but flawed player. Both had incredible motors, neither ever backed down, both were willing to take over a stalled offense (for better or worse), both were always the leader. High volume scorers, mediocre shooters…they are cut from the same cloth. 

I’d much rather have AI

• Hook 'Em 2

huge fundamental difference in the two: AI would die if it meant winning, while Russ would block out his own teammate if it meant getting himself more stats. they couldn't be more opposite when it comes to wanting to win and being able to lead a team. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

huge fundamental difference in the two: AI would die if it meant winning, while Russ would block out his own teammate if it meant getting himself more stats. they couldn't be more opposite when it comes to wanting to win and being able to lead a team. 

There’s video of Russ screaming at a teammate to shoot it in a twenty point blowout so that he can get a triple double   It was against gsw   KD and Steph were laughing on the bench   

Back to KD, he’s our guy, but Colin cowherd made a compelling case where giannis is better than KD ever was   It hurt 

Years ago, when Russ was at the top of his game, a friend who really follows the NBA and has great opinions on it shared his theory of what made Westbrook tick. Here it is-

It all started with Jordan. Jordan was so dominant, in play and in winning, that he became an icon that other great players aspired to emulate. Jordan was his team’s alpha, a hard alpha, and he insisted on getting the ball in key moments and taking the most important shots. 

Kobe was most successful in modeling his career after Jordan- dominant scorer, alpha personality and lots of winning. The notable shortcoming- his insistence that the Lakers were his team and Shaq part of his supporting cast, a stance he would not compromise on. 

Other players tried (and try) the Jordan model, but without other-worldly talent, it doesn’t work.

Russ wants to be like Jordan. He is an alpha by nature, in a way KD never has been. He wants the ball in key moments; in his heart of hearts he believes that is the best chance to win (even when teamed with KD, Paul George, James Harden). If you look at his per 32 minutes playoff stats, you see that in his career, he has taken more shots than his teammates in playoff games. 

Jordan has said that Russ is the modern player he respects the most. He gets what Westbrook is bringing in attitude and playing style. 

It doesn’t work because, in the modern game, shooting ability is more important than ever. Russ doesn’t have that. His game is flawed, but he is never changing his attitude or approach ti account for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Years ago, when Russ was at the top of his game, a friend who really follows the NBA and has great opinions on it shared his theory of what made Westbrook tick. Here it is-

It all started with Jordan. Jordan was so dominant, in play and in winning, that he became an icon that other great players aspired to emulate. Jordan was his team’s alpha, a hard alpha, and he insisted on getting the ball in key moments and taking the most important shots. 

Kobe was most successful in modeling his career after Jordan- dominant scorer, alpha personality and lots of winning. The notable shortcoming- his insistence that the Lakers were his team and Shaq part of his supporting cast, a stance he would not compromise on. 

Other players tried (and try) the Jordan model, but without other-worldly talent, it doesn’t work.

Russ wants to be like Jordan. He is an alpha by nature, in a way KD never has been. He wants the ball in key moments; in his heart of hearts he believes that is the best chance to win (even when teamed with KD, Paul George, James Harden). If you look at his per 32 minutes playoff stats, you see that in his career, he has taken more shots than his teammates in playoff games. 

Jordan has said that Russ is the modern player he respects the most. He gets what Westbrook is bringing in attitude and playing style. 

It doesn’t work because, in the modern game, shooting ability is more important than ever. Russ doesn’t have that. His game is flawed, but he is never changing his attitude or approach ti account for that. 

Good post. The Russ now hurts his team more than helps.  Russ is about his stats, not winning.  Horrible defender, below average shooter and led the league in turnovers?  Jordan was a great defender.  Kobe as well.  

I like Kobe and I get where he was coming from, but early in their careers, Shaq was clearly the man and should've been.  To me, Kobe put himself ahead of Shaq when he forced that trade.

I'm not sure KD has that alpha mentality.  He's just absurdly talented.

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Back to KD, he’s our guy, but Colin cowherd made a compelling case where giannis is better than KD ever was   It hurt 

I was wondering about that today. Giannis is just as good. It's hard to evaluate because three of Durant's best years in 2017, 2018 and 2019 were on really good teams. Last year Durant was just as good as him. This year one of them was in a shit situation all season and one of them had championship continuity.

I mean Giannis today had a nice triple double but he went 9/25, 6/11 from the FT line and had 5 turns. Difference is he's a better defender and rebounder and playing on a better team that also matches up better with BOS (also Durant just straight up didn't play well against BOS and had zero help in figuring them out).

We'll see how the series goes. For the record I think Jokic is just as good as Giannis right now and those two should share joint best player in the league for this season. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was wondering about that today. Giannis is just as good. It's hard to evaluate because three of Durant's best years in 2017, 2018 and 2019 were on really good teams. Last year Durant was just as good as him. This year one of them was in a shit situation all season and one of them had championship continuity.

I mean Giannis today had a nice triple double but he went 9/25, 6/11 from the FT line and had 5 turns. Difference is he's a better defender and rebounder and playing on a better team that also matches up better with BOS (also Durant just straight up didn't play well against BOS and had zero help in figuring them out).

We'll see how the series goes. For the record I think Jokic is just as good as Giannis right now and those two should share joint best player in the league for this season. 

I think KD is far more skilled.  Giannis is just a freak.  

• Hook 'Em 1