Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

KD is probably my favorite non detroit athlete of all time. The dude just doesn't give one fuck. Its amazing. 

I wouldn’t have any use for him if he weren’t a Texas grad and don’t have much use for him anyway. He’s incredibly unlikable, and I don’t like him. 

Things to like about KD: dedicated to the game, gives (a lot) to the community, works hard at his craft, selfless player, kind to support staff, believes there is a right way to play and tries to play that way, overcame severe injuries (one received while playing hurt in the playoffs), loves UT, played at Rucker Park one crazy night, single handedly kept USA from collapsing in 2021 Olympics

Things to not like about KD: pissed off Russ Westbrook, pissed off OKC, pissed off LeBron fanboys

I guess I find him likable enough

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Eh most gen z/millennial fans have gone from hating him when he left for GS to generally liking him now. I’d assume most gen x/boomers don’t really like him.

Well, Syriana is one of my favorite movies and I'm that one guy who actually liked Soderbergh's remake of Solaris so ... I like you?

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Things to like about KD: dedicated to the game, gives (a lot) to the community, works hard at his craft, selfless player, kind to support staff, believes there is a right way to play and tries to play that way, overcame severe injuries (one received while playing hurt in the playoffs), loves UT, played at Rucker Park one crazy night, single handedly kept USA from collapsing in 2021 Olympics

Also things to like about KD: pissed off Russ Westbrook, pissed off OKC, pissed off LeBron fanboys

FIFY

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:55 PM, statsman said:

Things to not like about KD: pissed off Russ Westbrook, pissed off OKC, pissed off LeBron fanboys

On your list of things not to like you left off: acts like an insecure petulant bitch a lot of the time and fled to super-team (that had just beat his team) rather than try to build someting.

I'm not out to convince anyone not to like Durant. I don't hate him, I'm just ambivalent about him. But it's also silly not to acknowledge actual reasons people aren't Durant fans. And to be clear, none of this has to do with his actual talent, which is absurd. 

Petulant? Compared to what? Was he more or less petulant than Russ, who started grudging against him for leaving?

Is it the social media? Do you really think that means anything? Do you know what real misbehavior is?

Ray Lewis is a great LB and leader, who was at the minimum an accessory to murder. 
Kareem had several people murdered in his home and to this day has resisted cooperating with the investigation. 
Kobe is a beloved player who forced himself on a girl. 

This all shows how professional the current NBA is- people think some modern players are bad guys because of mean texts and tweets, as if that was any kind of real misbehavior. (Psst- keep it secret, but LeBron is actually a pretty decent guy, too, even despite the memes)

Edited by statsman

7 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

On your list of things not to like you left off: acts like an insecure petulant bitch a lot of the time and fled to super-team (that had just beat his team) rather than try to build someting.

and what would you call the nine years KD spent in SEA/OKC trying to build a title winning team despite having to play with the most selfish player of all time? 

Edited by shadow_operative

28 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Either you have a scoop or need to rethink your phrasing. 

Top google result is a Breitbart screed taking Cap to task for speaking out against the Charlie Hebdo attack. Smacks of "but her emails" to me.

Actual story: https://www.nytimes.com/1973/08/16/archives/seven-are-indicted-in-muslim-slayings-at-home-in-capitalal.html

Edited by Llogg

Oops. I’m sorry. Jabbar had a house, and a family was killed in it. Kareem was friends with the victims, members of a non violent sect. Jabber’s only culpability was a lack of cooperation with the police (which may have been due to fear of being the next victim, reasonably). My point is not that Kareem is a bad guy; it’s more that if you think KD is a bad guy because of social media, you have really lost focus. 

I probably should have used Kermit Washington as an example instead (bilking players out of money and laundering it through a charity). 

32 minutes ago, statsman said:

Oops. I’m sorry. Jabbar had a house, and a family was killed in it. Kareem was friends with the victims, members of a non violent sect. Jabber’s only culpability was a lack of cooperation with the police (which may have been due to fear of being the next victim, reasonably). My point is not that Kareem is a bad guy; it’s more that if you think KD is a bad guy because of social media, you have really lost focus. 

I probably should have used Kermit Washington as an example instead (bilking players out of money and laundering it through a charity). 

This would all be super relevant if people said Durant was a bad guy.

@statsman after further seeing your posts in the Uvalde theads I am pretty impressed. In this thread and that you are arguing for things that nobody is arguing against while arguing against things nobody is arguing for. I can't go so far as to say you have it all figured out but you sure have a lot figured out.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

@statsman after further seeing your posts in the Uvalde theads I am pretty impressed. In this thread and that you are arguing for things that nobody is arguing against while arguing against things nobody is arguing for. I can't go so far as to say you have it all figured out but you sure have a lot figured out.

don't bring that shit in here, man.

• Like 1

This Finals has nothing to do with KD outside of comparing him to Steph all-time. If Steph shows out and wins the title this year I'm plenty comfortable with placing him over Durant on the all-time list.

That said - if GS loses this it's sort of a knock on Steph. I just don't think Durant's legacy should be diminished or elevated based on what happens between these teams. No one this season is playing the 2016 Thunder, 2016 Warriors, 2016 Cavs, 2017 Warriors/Cavs, 2018 Rockets...

I mean the standard for how good you need to be to make the Finals let alone win it just isn't the same. That 2016 OKC team wins the title this season 8 times out of 10. 

But, you know, NBA fans don't really think critically about anything. 

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nah they don't need him. Just ask @aggie08

Where have I EVER said that Golden State didn't need KD to go to 5 straight Finals and win back-to-back titles? They absolutely did. They're not a dynasty without KD. All I've said is that, without KD, a healthy Golden State was (and is) perennially going to be among the 2 or 3 teams with realistic championship aspirations. Oh, and that it was always Steph's team. Pretty sure they've proven those things beyond dispute. And, if you put yourself there year after year, you stand a good chance to win one or two of them. However, with KD, they were unbeatable and one of the best teams ever. That's a HUGE difference, and I've never stated otherwise.

So stop being such a fucking low effort troll.

KD is 1-4 in the a Finals and 10-14 in the Conference Finals without Steph. Care to venture a guess what Golden State's record in the Conference Finals is without KD (hint: 16-5)...

...see how lazy, obnoxious, and misleading that is? Is the conclusion to be made that KD needed Golden State way more than the reverse...or, is getting to--and then winning--the Finals just really, really fucking difficult, and it takes a bit of luck? A losing record against the best players and teams on the planet isn't really something to be ashamed of. Everyone can't be MJ.

Edited by aggie08

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

One day i'm sure there will be a book about how it all went down in GS. I thought it was a mistake for KD to join that team. But i don't understand being mad at him and not the Warriors. That was a weak ass move on their part too.

Any team with cap space that doesn't at least try to acquire the second best basketball player on the planet when he's available should be disbanded and their GM shot into the sun.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Any team with cap space that doesn't at least try to acquire the second best basketball player on the planet when he's available should be disbanded and their GM shot into the sun.

I get it. But it's still weak. I wonder if that would have been allowed to happen in David Stern's NBA.

52 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Where have I EVER said that Golden State didn't need KD to go to 5 straight Finals and win back-to-back titles? They absolutely did. They're not a dynasty without KD. All I've said is that, without KD, a healthy Golden State was (and is) perennially going to be among the 2 or 3 teams with realistic championship aspirations. Oh, and that it was always Steph's team. Pretty sure they've proven those things beyond dispute. And, if you put yourself there year after year, you stand a good chance to win one or two of them. However, with KD, they were unbeatable and one of the best teams ever. That's a HUGE difference, and I've never stated otherwise.

So stop being such a fucking low effort troll.

KD is 1-4 in the a Finals and 10-14 in the Conference Finals without Steph. Care to venture a guess what Golden State's record in the Conference Finals is without KD (hint: 16-5)...

...see how lazy, obnoxious, and misleading that is? Is the conclusion to be made that KD needed Golden State way more than the reverse...or, is getting to--and then winning--the Finals just really, really fucking difficult, and it takes a bit of luck? A losing record against the best players and teams on the planet isn't really something to be ashamed of. Everyone can't be MJ.

Jesus dude be less aggy. 

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Says a dude who annually quits a thread because people don't give him the proper amount of reverence and respect that he thinks he deserves.

Yeah that's more in line with where I actually went to school. Sick burn. 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's more in line with where I actually went to school. Sick burn. 

Wut?

Hey man, you're the one who keeps finding it necessary to randomly and incorrectly call me out. Guess what: the NBA thread is moving along just fine--arguably better--without you. Because you don't matter. I don't matter. Derka doesn't even matter (sorry Derka). It's an online basketball message board. No need to take it so seriously.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

Hey man, you're the one who keeps finding it necessary to randomly and incorrectly call me out. Guess what: the NBA thread is moving along just fine--arguably better--without you. Because you don't matter. I don't matter. Derka doesn't even matter (sorry Derka). It's an online basketball message board. No need to take it so seriously.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886k1x8aeb7we5z2xev65

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

Yes this is all about me. Keep it coming. 

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

I like this track what do you think. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:49 PM, ztejas said:

This Finals has nothing to do with KD outside of comparing him to Steph all-time. If Steph shows out and wins the title this year I'm plenty comfortable with placing him over Durant on the all-time list.

That said - if GS loses this it's sort of a knock on Steph. I just don't think Durant's legacy should be diminished or elevated based on what happens between these teams. No one this season is playing the 2016 Thunder, 2016 Warriors, 2016 Cavs, 2017 Warriors/Cavs, 2018 Rockets...

I mean the standard for how good you need to be to make the Finals let alone win it just isn't the same. That 2016 OKC team wins the title this season 8 times out of 10. 

But, you know, NBA fans don't really think critically about anything. 

Pretty much agree with this mostly -- I think it's very fair and rational considering it's always hard (I feel like it is for me anyway) to judge a Longhorn against others.  I don't consider anything the Warriors do as down against Durant, the circumstances are always different each year.  I also don't agree with the idea floated by some that any good wing player that could score could simply replace KD in 2017 and beat the 2017 Cavs, that was actually a really good team.  2018...ok.    

The 2017 Warriors were one of the greatest - if not the greatest - teams of all-time, but to be honest, I was more impressed with Durant against the Bucks than anything from 2017.  He was carrying that team with more than one magnificent performance in a much tougher situation than 2017 coming back from injury too.  I have no doubt that version of KD could win titles with a lot of different situations/rosters.  2014 KD too.     

And I think if Steph won a title and FMVP, I'd start to consider him above Durant in an ATG list too but only because Steph has moved up, not Durant going down.     

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

the fact that people bend over backwards to diss him every time GS does something well is just so weird to me. but then i have to remind myself that basketball fans are far and away the least knowledgeable sports fans on the planet. to this day, NO ONE has been able to name a viable alternative to KD joining GS. no one. they all cry and whine about him and diss him and call him a ring chaser, but then they can't say where else he should have gone. the entire anti-KD movement is based on the idea that he should have either stayed with Russ (🙄), or that should have gone and joined some other shitty team that had no chance of winning. and we know full well that he done that, these very same people would be killing him for not having any titles.

he's a top ~15 player ever who was the best player/finals mvp on two title teams, and yet somehow he's become the punching bag of every idiot and twitter troll who casually follows the NBA. anyone who hates on KD like this is simply showing his ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1