Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Did KD really expect a different response?  If he thought he could shift the public perception with “I was willing to stay but” tactic, he’s sadly mistaken. 

And if things had gone his way, that might have been worse. He's not LeBron; personally getting the whole coaching staff and front office fired isn't something you can shake off without a LOT of immediate winning.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:03 AM, statsman said:

If KD returns to the Nets, I’ll root for the Nets. If he plays somewhere else, that’s who I’ll root for. 

Guess you're rooting for the Nets....at least for now.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34446879/brooklyn-nets-kevin-durant-meet-agree-move-forward-together-star-trade-demands

I still can't figure out  what the fuck KD's goal was with his trade demand.

KD: "Trade me or fire Nash/Marks"

Tsai: "No"

KD: "OK, let's run it back"

Really contributes to that team cohesion in Brooklyn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look, we all know KD isn't sitting out for the season. He isn't built like that. And he doesn't want to go somewhere that trades ALL their assets for him, because he wants to compete for a title.  

I've thought all along that staying in Brooklyn was probably the most likely outcome.  The thing is, if KD really wants a title, staying with the Nets is his best option anyway.  People get hung up on the fact that they got swept, but those games were CLOSE.

• Game 1:  115 - 114
  • Game 2:  114 - 107
  • Game 3:  109 - 103
  • Game 4:  116 - 112

That is 18 points total.  Adding Ben Simmons, who has played at an all-NBA level, could easily overcome those 18 points - and now you are talking a Nets sweep.  Kyrie also stunk it up in Game 3 and 4.  

I wouldn't trade Kyrie either. They are only going to get pennies on the dollar for him.  Run it back and try to win a title and turn this thing into a redemption story. Embrace being the most unlikeable team in the NBA.  F it, be the villain.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Look, we all know KD isn't sitting out for the season. He isn't built like that. And he doesn't want to go somewhere that trades ALL their assets for him, because he wants to compete for a title.  

I've thought all along that staying in Brooklyn was probably the most likely outcome.  The thing is, if KD really wants a title, staying with the Nets is his best option anyway.  People get hung up on the fact that they got swept, but those games were CLOSE.

That is 18 points total.  Adding Ben Simmons, who has played at an all-NBA level, could easily overcome those 18 points - and now you are talking a Nets sweep.  Kyrie also stunk it up in Game 3 and 4.  

I wouldn't trade Kyrie either. They are only going to get pennies on the dollar for him.  Run it back and try to win a title and turn this thing into a redemption story. Embrace being the most unlikeable team in the NBA.  F it, be the villain.

I honestly completely forgot Ben Simmons was on the team. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I don't disagree with your conclusions exactly but those games were not as close as the scores indicate. Nets were not really a threat in the series at all. I maintain the refs fucked KD hard in the first 2 games. Like he was the inverse D-Wade. Take out the bullshit ref factor and they might have won the series. 

8 hours ago, HookEm said:

Durant’s main issue is that he is about to be 34. If he was 26, teams would be giving away their whole franchise to get him. It is really as simple as that. Has little to do with his attitude or his perceived toxicity or his skill set.

At this point it'd be like dating a girl who cheated on her boyfriend with you. You really can't be surprised when she turns around and does it to you, too.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Meh. All the stars do it these days, and have for a while. If you land a superstar and don't keep them happy, most will do exactly the same.

• Kobe threatened to leave and had one foot out the door before they brought in Pau Gasol. 
  • Anthony Davis forced a trade with the Pelicans and would have sat out to force a trade
  • Paul George forced a trade from the Pacers and then basically did it again with OKC
  • Harden completely quit on both the Rockets and the Nets. 
  • Kawhi quit on the Spurs and then was a known mercenary with Toronto. 
  • Ben Simmons sat out a whole season to get traded from Philly 
  • LeBron had a history of 1-year deals to keep leverage. He also got a lot of coaches fired

That is just off the top of my head.  Durant may mouth off and voice his displeasure, but the dude would never fake an injury or sit out a season.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think any of those guys had just signed a max contract the past year. That's the big difference here, KD would have been a free agent and had a ton of leverage if he waited like a lot of those guys did or were planning to do. That's what makes this trade request so silly, he took the guaranteed money up front for security in case of injury, and then tried to pull this shit. It was a dumb move and makes him look more petty than any of those guys listed.