Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I mean he kind of did sign up for some of it. 

That said - with the franchise falling apart around him KD is putting up 32/6/5/1/2 on .654 TS%. At 34 years old. The best version of their team is with Kyrie and Simmons not playing. 

I just don't think there's any chance Udoka repairs this or figures it out. I guess Kyrie retiring would be a good start. 

I’d say he signed up for all of it-for multiple years, in fact. He willingly tied his career to Kyrie. He might not be responsible for any particular manifestation of it, but the insanity that comes with him is inevitable. That’s what he committed to.

The questionable personnel decisions he forced all around that are just icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

“I’m not here to judge somebody or talk down on the life or how they feel their views," said Durant. "I just didn't like anything that went on. I felt like it was all unnecessary. I felt like we could have just kept playing basketball and kept quiet as an organization.”

I do get the sense that basketball is all that matters in KD's life, but lulz at the idea that the rest of the world is just gonna ignore Kyrie's stupid bullshit. KD can be naive as fuck, there is no way that the Nets as an organization can just keep quiet on KI and his batshit crazyness. Nike didnt feel it was appropriate to just ignore it all, so why should the Nets?

KD didnt call out KI when he was fucking up the season with his covid stupidity, and he apparently isnt planning on calling KI out on this latest crap. Its almost like he is trying to protect the Net's chances at salvaging the season, but he doesnt realize KI is gonna fuck it up regardless. KI cares more about being KI than KD cares about winning. He needs to understand that. 

Some grab bag stuff. 

Durant is 19th right now on the all-time scoring list. He's moved past Alex English and Vince Carter already this season. He has an outside chance at getting to 10th by the end of this season. Yes, you read that correctly. 

Durant has recorded 25 points in every game so far this season (12). It's the longest season-starting streak of 25+ since MJ in 1989. 

He's quietly keeping the Nets above water amid an ungodly amount of distractions and controversies this season. Brooklyn is 5-7 after starting 1-5 and just demolished the Knicks on the back of a 29/12/12 night from KD.

Lastly - a girl on my Instagram feed caught this picture the other night and I thought it was a pretty fucking cool shot for some girl sitting near courtside at an NBA game. 

Screenshot_20221107-215718_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9cacee76080feecea4ff8691ff8a1a64.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just months ago it was safe to say that the significant majority of the basketball world was probably out on the ability of Kyrie Irving and Ben Simmons to ever contribute to a winning culture again - let alone see the floor for extended stretches - yet as of now the Brooklyn Nets (with Kyrie and Simmons both seeing significant action and playing well) are 16-7 since firing Nash, 9-1 in their last 10, 5-0 in their last 5 and a game out of 3rd place in the Eastern conference. 

Kevin Durant alongside them - in his 16th season in the league at age 34 - is putting up 30.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.7 bpg, 0.7 spg on .559/.346/.922 splits. He has played all but one game. He is 4th in the league in minutes per game. He is 3rd in the league in total minutes played. With his 4th point scored in his next game he will become the 16th leading scorer in NBA history - passing John Havlicek and Paul Pierce in the same night. 

I don't know if the Nets will keep this up. I don't know if they will make a run in the playoffs or flame out in the first round again. 

I do know that players like Durant very rarely if ever come around. To take the literal two biggest head cases in the NBA and somehow get them playing passionate, team-first, winning basketball with each other after a quarter of the season is something that I seriously doubt that any other superstar in the league could pull off right now. The part of him that allows for something like this is the part of him that shows up for the Olympics a year removed from a potentially career-ending injury to carry the US to gold despite throwing out a fairly uninspiring lineup. 

I don't expect Durant to win another title or MVP - although if he somehow did the latter with this group it would immortalize him to an astounding degree. 

Whether he does or not - and whether anyone likes it or not - he is going to retire - at the absolute worst - as one of the 15 most prolific players to ever play the game. 

I'd suggest tuning in to the twilight of his career whenever you can. He's the most accomplished professional athlete to ever attend Texas (depending on how you feel about Clemens) and it is extremely likely that there will not be another basketball player of his stature that attends Texas in any of our lifetimes. 

Hook 'em KD. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Pretty emotional right now. KD just tied Tim Duncan on the all-time scoring list. With his next point he'll pass him. 

Texting about it with my dad who bestowed upon me both his Spurs and Longhorns fandom. 

Timmy played his last game against KD. Pretty soon KD will play his last game.

Time flies. Enjoy it while you can I guess. The NBA will never be the same for me when KD hangs it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Nets - by record - would be in first place in the Western Conference right now. 

Featuring two players currently playing significant minutes at a high level that the basketball world had all but completely written off going into this season. 

But KD isn't a leader and doesn't elevate his teammates.

Fuck 

Outta

Here

Top 15 all-time

• Hook 'Em 2

Look at how fucking insane his best teammate is. 

This guy (not KD - the man seen in the video) is arguably the best player on arguably the best team in the NBA right now. 

Durant is at the same time potentially the greatest scorer and easiest superstar to play with of all time.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the title was 100% appropriate at the time. 

No it wasn’t. 
This thread started in 2018. His Texas jersey was retired in 2009. Nothing about his NBA exploits has anything to do with whether he’s one of our own. He always was, always repped the university, gave back to the university, etc.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No it wasn’t. 
This thread started in 2018. His Texas jersey was retired in 2009. Nothing about his NBA exploits has anything to do with whether he’s one of our own. He always was, always repped the university, gave back to the university, etc.

yes it was. whooooole bunch of "Longhorns" around here calling him a bitch and a front running piece of shit for joining the Warriors. people literally saying they don't consider him a real longhorn and that he doesn't represent UT, with even more people repping those posts. thread title was 100% accurate, and the bitchassness towards KD around here will not be forgotten. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yes it was. whooooole bunch of "Longhorns" around here calling him a bitch and a front running piece of shit for joining the Warriors. people literally saying they don't consider him a real longhorn and that he doesn't represent UT, with even more people repping those posts. thread title was 100% accurate, and the bitchassness towards KD around here will not be forgotten. 

I don’t know that they were Longhorns. This board has a lot of Okies, and they’re pretty vocally anti-KD. Then, there are a few LeBron fans (although not as many as in most basketball forums), pissed about him joining GS. Then, there are some fans of other would-be contending NBA fans (Spurs, for example) that were pissed he joined GS (but would have been fine if he signed with SA). Then, there are a few flamethrowers that just like to dog pile with memes. I think the Longhorns are pretty supportive of KD. (To his credit, our main Aggie poster isn’t a hater, either). 

1 hour ago, derpyhorndog said:

The title and past contents of this thread doesn't even crack T50 in the surly hall of regardedness and terrible takes.

Disagree. The OP was questioning whether the best athlete in UT history (from a career perspective), who won every major award at Texas, who has his jersey RETIRED and who continued to support the program to the tune of $3.5M... is actually "one of our own".  On a UT sports board, I don't think it is possible to have a worse take.

• Hook 'Em 3