Texas BBQ

Washpark

5 minutes ago, ERhine said:

You think those are the only three ingredients he uses? If you even looked at the photo you posted you’d know you’re wrong.

My point is that Valentina's seems to have left out a couple of those ingredients.  Pale, pink pintos are no bueno.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

She’s also overrated. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

your opinion is clearly overrated. 

Yeah, that's pretty much a pisspoor take.

Tootsie's been honing her craft since the late 60's.  She only cooks once a week cause that's the way she wants it.

Best you just sleep it off next time.

Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.

Two meat plate with brisket and jalapeno sausage, green chile mac & cheese, bacon/jalapeno cabbage.  I made the rookie mistake of not specifying moist over lean.  Although it was leaner than I prefer, the brisket was well seasoned and juicier than it appears in the picture.  Not much by way of a smoke ring, but it tasted fine.  Sausage and sides were very good.  I would recommend.  

They had several sandwiches on the menu, including a Banh Mi brisket sandwich, a Texas reuben, and a brisket philly.  Next time, I'm going to try one of the sandwiches.

If they're still around and doing what they are doing now, they should be on the TM Top 50 next time around.  There are several current Top 50 that I would replace with Brotherton's.

dcd93b61cb21998a7c67a3154d2afb57.jpg

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.

Two meat plate with brisket and jalapeno sausage, green chile mac & cheese, bacon/jalapeno cabbage.  I made the rookie mistake of not specifying moist over lean.  Although it was leaner than I prefer, the brisket was well seasoned and juicier than it appears in the picture.  Not much by way of a smoke ring, but it tasted fine.  Sausage and sides were very good.  I would recommend.  

They had several sandwiches on the menu, including a Banh Mi brisket sandwich, a Texas reuben, and a brisket philly.  Next time, I'm going to try one of the sandwiches.

If they're still around and doing what they are doing now, they should be on the TM Top 50 next time around.  There are several current Top 50 that I would replace with Brotherton's.

dcd93b61cb21998a7c67a3154d2afb57.jpg

John uses Bewley pits. They are wood fired, with no gas.

What is the significance of that?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It relates directly to your comment on lack of smoke ring (which is purely cosmetic and has no affect on taste whatsoever). Gas fired pits don’t typically produce a smoke ring. John is not using gas. All wood, low temps.

There is a reason that KCBS and most other competition organizations instruct judges that they are not to consider smoke ring. It has no affect on taste, nor is it an indication of “how well” a brisket was cooked.

The best smoke ring I ever got was on a bag of Kingsford Blue with absolutely no wood added. But there are times when I get little to no smoke ring on a brisket when using oak lump and oak splits. Nothing else in my process varied.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 7:53 PM, ChampKind said:

There is a reason that KCBS and most other competition organizations instruct judges that they are not to consider smoke ring. It has no affect on taste, nor is it an indication of “how well” a brisket was cooked.

The best smoke ring I ever got was on a bag of Kingsford Blue with absolutely no wood added. But there are times when I get little to no smoke ring on a brisket when using oak lump and oak splits. Nothing else in my process varied.

This can not be stressed enough. Seems like every time I tried a slice of brisket with a really defined smoke ring it tasted like shit. I don't even look for a ring. I give zero fucks about it. If it's there and the brisket is good, it's kinda cute, but matters not.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, futureman said:

who gives a fuck about beans?  they’re usually free and a palate cleanser.  give me ranch style beans straight from the can next to my brisket.  

Go eat the borrachos that Champkind is serving at lucky s and it will change your thoughts on beans. They’re a great companion to bbq. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, futureman said:

who gives a fuck about beans?  they’re usually free and a palate cleanser.  give me ranch style beans straight from the can next to my brisket.  

I do. If you’re going to serve sides with your bbq then make them the best sides you can make or don’t do them.  I don’t have to have them, but by god if you’re going to have them on the menu they best be good.  It’s like people arguing about Longhorns woman’s sports. People say “who gives a shit about softball”. Well, I do. If you have to have woman’s sports then have the best woman’s sports out there. I may not watch, but those programs represent our university. If you’re going to field a team in any sport it should be one that can win a championship.  I don’t give a shit what the sport is.  It that just me. I fucking hate losing. At anything. 

• Like 1