Texas BBQ

Washpark

32 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

How does this shit stay in business. Unreal how horrid that bbq is and yet they have a line a mile long waiting to eat below average pot roast. 

Most people haven't ever had actual good BBQ. They only know what they know so they think its good. And in a way, its better that way, because they can eat BBQ everywhere whereas I refused to spend my money on mediocre bbq. Life is just too short to eat crap.

• Like 2

What are the lines like at Truth Barbecue on a Saturday? What are the odds of being denied? I could end up out that way.

Or maybe the Top 50 joint at aggy, Fargo's, depending on the route and where I end up.

Anything else in that general vicinity worth checking out?

The line at Truth will begin forming before 10:00 and they will eventually run out.

Fargos will have a line, but won't be that bad.  Fargos is better than some of the other Top 50, but does not compare to the top 20.

Edited by Jerry Callo

I haven't even heard of it.  Vaughn did a guide for San Antonio barbecue last year that listed 20 something barbecue joints in San Antonio and most people know their aren't 20 barbecue joints in San Antonio worth going to.  Guides generally give information about as many places as possible, hit the positive high points for any given restaurant, avoid the negatives, and don't rank them. 

Jimmy Ho of The Smoking Ho came out with a pretty inclusive guide for Austin earlier this year.  He was on the old board for a little while, but I haven't seen him make an appearance here.  He takes some of the best food pictures I've seen.   

Edited by Jerry Callo

On 5/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, Doc Holliday said:

Reporting in:  County Line is still really mediocre.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:52 PM, DanRydell said:

I’ll still go to County Line on the Hill just for the view and that wheat bread.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, pepper brooks said:

How does this shit stay in business. Unreal how horrid that bbq is and yet they have a line a mile long waiting to eat below average pot roast. 

County Line is the Wal-Mart of CenTex BBQ.  Lotsa uncouth, iggorant folks go and think they're getting a great deal, and every now and then you can pick up something that's worth a pop, but for the most part, it's bum rush stuff.

My Maryland friend said he "heard about it" some 10 years ago, so we took him.  He still raves about it, thinks it's the best stuff he's ever eaten.  I  will say this, they stuff your ass with food, or what seems to be food.  There aren't many skinny people at County Line.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, pepper brooks said:

For the same reason I still go to Salt Lick in Driftwood each and every time I'm back in Austin for games.  SL has tried multiple times to expand locations and done a poor job at it.  I still like their breakfast tacos @ the airport.  But I never go to the ballpark location in RR.

I grew up going there as a UT grad-school baby.  Used to be out in the ass of nowhere.  Lights in the trees.  Live music.  Open pits.  BYOB.  It's everything Hill Country BBQ should be...minus actual good BBQ.

And dammit, I still love going there.  We always take out of town friends and they fall in love with the place.  My kids love it.  But if I'm in town for work.  No way.  Not even close.  I feel the same way about Country Line and The Oasis.  Mediocre food.  But the location and experience makes it a good destination.

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

For the same reason I still go to Salt Lick in Driftwood each and every time I'm back in Austin for games.  SL has tried multiple times to expand locations and done a poor job at it.  I still like their breakfast tacos @ the airport.  But I never go to the ballpark location in RR.

I grew up going there as a UT grad-school baby.  Used to be out in the ass of nowhere.  Lights in the trees.  Live music.  Open pits.  BYOB.  It's everything Hill Country BBQ should be...minus actual good BBQ.

And dammit, I still love going there.  We always take out of town friends and they fall in love with the place.  My kids love it.  But if I'm in town for work.  No way.  Not even close.  I feel the same way about Country Line and The Oasis.  Mediocre food.  But the location and experience makes it a good destination.

Kinda, but not really. Salt lick bbq is a metric fuckton better than county line, and imnot saying salt lick is anything special. You can put the salt lick sauce on just about anything and it’s edible. County line just sucks ass all around. 

Edited by pepper brooks

55 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I dunno man...their chicken is pretty good

Not gonna lie, I love the chicken at Goode co bbq. Until you and a few others showed up on the Houston bbq scene that was one of the better bbq items in this town. Don’t care for much else there, but that chicken is solid. The duck is too, but they never seem to have that anymore. 

On 5/23/2018 at 7:52 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I haven't even heard of it.  Vaughn did a guide for San Antonio barbecue last year that listed 20 something barbecue joints in San Antonio and most people know their aren't 20 barbecue joints in San Antonio worth going to.  Guides generally give information about as many places as possible, hit the positive high points for any given restaurant, avoid the negatives, and don't rank them. 

Jimmy Ho of The Smoking Ho came out with a pretty inclusive guide for Austin earlier this year.  He was on the old board for a little while, but I haven't seen him make an appearance here.  He takes some of the best food pictures I've seen.   

I know it's not Texas Monthly Top 50, but any guide to cue in Austin that doesn't mention the Turbo T-Man is incomplete. 

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Yep, Pat and Erin are putting out some good stuff. Highly recommended

One thing I love about Champ is the fact that the man will always give credit where credit is due.  Never met you IRL, but I wish society was more like you in that regard.  Respect or props or whatever.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 8:34 AM, South Austin said:

County Line cole slaw kicks ass, and the wheat bread with honey butter is pretty damn good as well.  Unfortunately, everything else there sucks.  My kids love feeding the turtles, though.

Exactly my five year old likes it because on the kids plate she can get pork ribs, potato chips, pickles and a free ice cream dessert. It is a kids dream meal. Then she can feed the turtles. 

I meanwhile struggle to find anything edible, half the time I just get a baked potato. 

Not gonna lie, I love the chicken at Goode co bbq. Until you and a few others showed up on the Houston bbq scene that was one of the better bbq items in this town. Don’t care for much else there, but that chicken is solid. The duck is too, but they never seem to have that anymore. 
Agreed on the chicken. Always been my go to there. During the BBQ cookoff I've noticed the overall quality seems to improve. Haven't been in a couple years since we moved further away from it though. Very mediocre.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

So there's actually a reason for me to go to Pflugerville?

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Other than to go see Derka? Yes

After you finish at Brotherton's, you gotta go hit Baris for some pink sauce.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChampKind said:

This can not be overstated. John Brotherton is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met and he is a very good bbq cook. He’s built a solid team and they are doing great things in Pville

So much this.  I'll go out of my way to patronize decent food from a great person every time.  It's a part of the experience.  Sanctimonious "que'ers" are becoming like hipster micro-brewers.   

Any thoughts on Cypress Trail Hideout home of Pappa Charlies?  We are going to be near there for a soccer tournament this weekend and wondering if anyone has been out there.  

My former business partner. It will be the best barbeque in the Cypress area.