Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Two quick questions.  We are planning a Fredericksburg/Llano visit over spring break.

1. What's the name of the scenic highway that's in that area?  

2. More importantly, what's the go-to BBQ in either city?

Willow City Loop

No help with BBQ...sorry. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Two quick questions.  We are planning a Fredericksburg/Llano visit over spring break.

1) Willow City Loop

2) People love Coopers in Llano but I haven't had a good experience there ever, going back probably 5+ years. Think lots of grease, un-rendered fat, way overcooked and dry sausages, etc.

Order the Big Chop and whatever looks good ish, be happy that the Big Chop is awesome and anything else that is even decent is an added bonus. If BBQ Snob gives them another 5* review and they make it in the next Top 50 I am going to legit have to ask him what the fuck is going on, because that place is flat out not good anymore. People *LOVE* it but it is based on nostalgia not on actual results.

FBG doesn't have great BBQ right now, best in the area is Backwoods BBQ, which is a high floor, low ceiling kind of place - don't expect a ton but everything is ok. If you want to go a little further, Black Board BBQ in Sisterdale is legit a Top 50 joint that is worthy of your time to drive there. Davids BBQ is super mediocre, the best thing on the menu at Macs is the hand cut fries, Pfiesters is hit and miss - best stuff they have is breakfast tacos, I have never ever been impressed with their brisket

How long are you going to be in town? I can share a ton of other FBG based recs, beyond BBQ, just send me an PM

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

1) Willow City Loop

2) People love Coopers in Llano but I haven't had a good experience there ever, going back probably 5+ years. Think lots of grease, un-rendered fat, way overcooked and dry sausages, etc.

Order the Big Chop and whatever looks good ish, be happy that the Big Chop is awesome and anything else that is even decent is an added bonus. If BBQ Snob gives them another 5* review and they make it in the next Top 50 I am going to legit have to ask him what the fuck is going on, because that place is flat out not good anymore. People *LOVE* it but it is based on nostalgia not on actual results.

FBG doesn't have great BBQ right now, best in the area is Backwoods BBQ, which is a high floor, low ceiling kind of place - don't expect a ton but everything is ok. If you want to go a little further, Black Board BBQ in Sisterdale is legit a Top 50 joint that is worthy of your time to drive there. Davids BBQ is super mediocre, the best thing on the menu at Macs is the hand cut fries, Pfiesters is hit and miss - best stuff they have is breakfast tacos, I have never ever been impressed with their brisket

How long are you going to be in town? I can share a ton of other FBG based recs, beyond BBQ, just send me an PM

Thanks.  Really just passing through.  We're meeting family in Fred fir dinner.  I figure they'll know where to eat.  Llano on the way back.  Looks like we'll give Cooper's a shot.  Coincidentally, Cooper's at the Ft Worth Stock Yard was the worst bbq I've ever had - and I'm not a bbq snob.  It was so oversalted, I coudn't eat it.  I just ended up eating the sides.

9 hours ago, NoName said:

1) Willow City Loop

Damn, that is a pretty good write up.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2021 at 3:06 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Don't waste your time with BBQ.  Go to Hilltop Cafe instead.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I might be in the Waco area tomorrow.  If I make it that way, I won't have much time.  Is my best bet Guess Family?  It seems like Helberg is the preferred spot, but I doubt I will have enough time to take that detour.

Damn, wish i had seen this yesterday.  Yes, Guess Fam would have been your best bet if you were close to downtown (Honkey Tonk Kid ain't bad either).  I'd have met you there since I was going to go there for lunch but ended up going back to the house and eating leftovers.  Gotta clear out some room in the fridge for the Freezepocalypse of '21 

Damn, wish i had seen this yesterday.  Yes, Guess Fam would have been your best bet if you were close to downtown (Honkey Tonk Kid ain't bad either).  I'd have met you there since I was going to go there for lunch but ended up going back to the house and eating leftovers.  Gotta clear out some room in the fridge for the Freezepocalypse of '21 

It’s alright. We ran out of time, but all was not lost. Still has whataburger.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I might be in the Waco area tomorrow.  If I make it that way, I won't have much time.  Is my best bet Guess Family?  It seems like Helberg is the preferred spot, but I doubt I will have enough time to take that detour.

anyone tried mitch’s?  I’d never heard of it.  started skulking around vaughn’s instagram after reading putt’s post. 

AC6F8808-C69A-4F1F-97AF-3B670B587DD3.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

anyone tried mitch’s?  I’d never heard of it.  started skulking around vaughn’s instagram after reading putt’s post. 

AC6F8808-C69A-4F1F-97AF-3B670B587DD3.png

Mitch's has been one of my honey holes for a long, long time.  Those fried ribs are absolutely incredible.  I don't even bother with the other stuff they cook, I'll have to try it out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, futureman said:

I had leroy and lewis yesterday. got beef cheek and barbacoa. the cheek was good but I wish they’d have had brisket. 

Perhaps you should plan to go on a Saturday or Sunday if you want brisket.  Then you wouldn’t have to wish. Or, if you are in that area of Austin and want brisket on a Friday, wish yourself to Valentina’s.

Edited by AustinMT
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Perhaps you should plan to go on a Saturday or Sunday if you want brisket.  Then you wouldn’t have to wish. Or, if you are in that area of Austin and want brisket on a Friday, wish yourself to Valentina’s.

I’m familiar with bbq in austin. I was on south congress and figured I’d stop in for a snack. still wish they sold brisket every day. 

I wish you had a sense of humor.

21 minutes ago, Paco said:
2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I wish you had a sense of humor.

That’s a real stinger.  Take you long to come up with that?

I decided to drop in and give Pinkerton’s another shot after my previous 3 visits were not good. I got my usual.  This time, like most of my visits over the last few years, was excellent.  And one of the gals working there was also quite easy on the eyes. So redemption for Pinkerton’s, but I think Truth is better. Better brisket and better sausage. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1