Texas BBQ

Washpark

5 hours ago, stork642 said:

I’ll be in Waco Friday night for my nephew’s playoff game.  Best recommendations would be appreciated.  

The Fried Rib Tips Are Sacred at Mitch’s Corner Stop

mitchs-corner-stop-fried-ribs

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/fried-rib-tips-mitchs-corner-stop-waco/

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Please make a detailed post when you do - I can get beef cheeks but I have zero clue how to prepare them, and am intrigued.

Evan and co go through exactly what their process is on *EVERYTHING* they cook on the Patreon. Including beef cheeks. Worth every penny.

22 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Went to L&L last week.  Beef cheeks are amazing, I’m going to hit my butcher up and try to replicate. The pork sausage was also really, really good. Barbacoa and pulled pork were solid, but honestly needed a kick from sauce or japs to be great. I could eat a bucket of the braised cabbage. Not sure what the acid component is in them but it’s perfect.  The pork hash was also good.

I was surprised at the number of people walking up and just ordering a burger. Is it that good or was it just the only burger available in the area (I didn’t look very hard at the other trailers)? 

heb has vaccum packs of beef cheeks. Most Barbacoa is beef cheeks 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I do them quite often at the house, but make barbacoa tacos out of them.   

I season them just like a brisket, but add a little cumin to the salt/pepper mix.   Cook for 3.5-4 hrs at about 275 on my stick burner with oak/pecan mix.   

then I get some corn on the cob, and grill/smoke the corn to add to a standard pico to make a smoked corn pico.   The cob is seasoned with taco seasoning after a ranch slathering.   The ranch cooks right off for the most part.   

corn tortillas with cheeks, smoked corn pico and fresh cilantro.   Damn tasty and doesn’t take all damn day.   

Spoiler

1BAA4E4E-2548-4502-850B-38E70830D573.jpeg

102E5648-F9D8-460B-9042-7A724F181B48.jpeg

32348FE7-87F3-4797-9F01-7161FC80170D.jpeg

are you trimming to just the cheeks or using all of the meat?

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I season them just like a brisket, but add a little cumin to the salt/pepper mix.   Cook for 3.5-4 hrs at about 275 on my stick burner with oak/pecan mix.   

then I get some corn on the cob, and grill/smoke the corn to add to a standard pico to make a smoked corn pico.   The cob is seasoned with taco seasoning after a ranch slathering.   The ranch cooks right off for the most part.   

corn tortillas with cheeks, smoked corn pico and fresh cilantro.   Damn tasty and doesn’t take all damn day.   

Do you see any issues with the cheeks getting dry?  Only reason I ask is because L&L confits their cheeks after 4 hours on the smoke. 

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Do you see any issues with the cheeks getting dry?  Only reason I ask is because L&L confits their cheeks after 4 hours on the smoke. 

I spritz them a bit with a beer and ACV mixture, then wrap in a foil pan and rest for 45-60 minutes.  Haven't dried them out yet and I've done the same thing about 6 different times.  

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think Jerry Callo told me that he watched some of Evan’s videos and he shows how to do.

LeRoy & Lewis has a Patreon page with videos for beef cheeks and barbacoa (costs $30/mo. but you can watch all the videos and cancel).  Bradley Robinson, who works at L&L, has free videos under Chuds bbq on youtube for barbacoa and beef cheek burnt ends (whole beef cheeks are the same, just not cubed).  Chuds videos covers how L&L finishes cheeks in beef tallow which makes L&L different than a simple smoke.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

LeRoy & Lewis has a Patreon page with videos for beef cheeks and barbacoa (costs $30/mo. but you can watch all the videos and cancel).  Bradley Robinson, who works at L&L, has free videos under Chuds bbq on youtube for barbacoa and beef cheek burnt ends (whole beef cheeks are the same, just not cubed).  Chuds videos covers how L&L finishes cheeks in beef tallow which makes L&L different than a simple smoke.

Jerry Gallo?  No, Jerry Callo.  Wait, no.  Jerry Tallow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Working from home today and felt like getting a bbq sandwich from a place I hadn’t been before. Didn’t want to drive too far, so I rolled the dice on a place on 529 called Big Bertha’s Barbecue.  I didn’t have high expectations…or really any expectation. I suspect any of y’all that have worked at or had meetings Oceaneering have been here. 
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Sliced brisket sandwich was pretty damn good. Not saying it’s at the level of top tier joints, but I’ll probably drop in again for another. The jalapeño cheese bun was tasty.  Jalapeño sausage was decent. 

sometimes you want to get some bbq without all the lines. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2986858a72bcdb910d347e527283c35c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Yea, that’s why I asked about the cheeks drying out. I figured they did the confit step to prevent that. 

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Working from home today and felt like getting a bbq sandwich from a place I hadn’t been before. Didn’t want to drive too far, so I rolled the dice on a place on 529 called Big Bertha’s Barbecue.  I didn’t have high expectations…or really any expectation. I suspect any of y’all that have worked at or had meetings Oceaneering have been here. 
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Sliced brisket sandwich was pretty damn good. Not saying it’s at the level of top tier joints, but I’ll probably drop in again for another. The jalapeño cheese bun was tasty.  Jalapeño sausage was decent. 

sometimes you want to get some bbq without all the lines. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2986858a72bcdb910d347e527283c35c.jpeg

saisage looks good 

A good friend is doing his second pop up at Urban Sooth tomorrow. His first one last month was not bad, brisket was great. He sold out of everything.

if you haven’t been to Urban South, the brewery itself is worth the trip. They have some  very interesting beers. I’d be curious how some of the local bbq experts here review his que. 

I’ll probably be there right at 3. I’m 6-6 with a very long beard, hard to miss 

07D66156-77AA-442A-A2D4-23F9E17E385E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

A good friend is doing his second pop up at Urban Sooth tomorrow. His first one last month was not bad, brisket was great. He sold out of everything.

if you haven’t been to Urban South, the brewery itself is worth the trip. They have some  very interesting beers. I’d be curious how some of the local bbq experts here review his que. 

I’ll probably be there right at 3. I’m 6-6 with a very long beard, hard to miss 

07D66156-77AA-442A-A2D4-23F9E17E385E.jpeg

Half a mile from my house… too far

• Haha 1

Stopped into Zavala and picked up 1/2 lb fatty brisket, 1/2 lb lean, 1/2 lb barbacoa, two links of jalapeño cheddar sausage, a couple of poppers and some spicy slaw. I thought everything was excellent, especially the brisket and sausage. Really liked the salsa verde.  Surprised by the lack of a significant line. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3e819a6eab62df062f991fbc169ab1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

Smoked a test beef cheek, made a hell of a jerky lol. 275 seems way too hot for how small that meat trims out.  Next attempt I’ll go 250 and I’ll have beef tallow on standby in case it looks like it’s going to turn into charcoal before rendering that collagen. I only had one of three pieces actually render properly, other two were still tough as hell.  

On 11/20/2021 at 12:22 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Stopped into Zavala and picked up 1/2 lb fatty brisket, 1/2 lb lean, 1/2 lb barbacoa, two links of jalapeño cheddar sausage, a couple of poppers and some spicy slaw. I thought everything was excellent, especially the brisket and sausage. Really liked the salsa verde.  Surprised by the lack of a significant line. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3e819a6eab62df062f991fbc169ab1.jpeg

zavalas has been my second favorite west of dallas for a while now.  the lack of long line has always been confounding.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

zavalas has been my second favorite west of dallas for a while now.  the lack of long line has always been confounding.

I'm going to be in Plano this Friday and Saturday for a soccer tournament.  I think I'll swing down to Zavala's Saturday morning when they open.  What type of line should I expect?  How early before 11:00 should I get there if I don't want to wait in a long line?

• Like 1