Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 11/20/2021 at 9:45 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Blackboard BBQ tomorrow in Boerne. Calling it in at 9 for pickup at noon. Deer blind by 4:30 PM. Will post pics on my way to the deer lease.

Brisket was a bit bitter (too much smoke). Sausage was wild hog jalapeño cheddar and was the best thing on the menu. I’d give the brisket a B-.

7C7AF11E-3C8F-42C3-AFD2-8055671A1D96.jpeg

6E1D5F99-DE60-4A24-9E64-177EDA183E5E.jpeg

0BD840D1-76C7-4FA7-AF27-E9457B94BEFE.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Brisket was a bit bitter (too much smoke). Sausage was wild hog jalapeño cheddar and was the best thing on the menu. I’d give the brisket a B-.

7C7AF11E-3C8F-42C3-AFD2-8055671A1D96.jpeg

6E1D5F99-DE60-4A24-9E64-177EDA183E5E.jpeg

0BD840D1-76C7-4FA7-AF27-E9457B94BEFE.jpeg

it's good but not where it was when they were in the Top 50. their non brisket offerings typically are better than their brisket in my experiences

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's good but not where it was when they were in the Top 50. their non brisket offerings typically are better than their brisket in my experiences

TM Best New 25 (2019).  Still looks pretty good and seems like it would be a nice stop on a random Saturday driving through the Hill Country.

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Agree with you there. The burnt ends were pretty dry as well and not what I was hoping for based on price. The sausage and chicken were on point though.

Dropped into Mimsy’s Craft BBQ today with my dad. Ordered at 10:45, so yeah kind of early, but they open at 10am according to google.  Was disappointed when they said that the sausage and boudin were not ready and wouldn’t be ready for another hour. Their fountain drink machine was also not working. 
So we ordered 1lb of brisket, 1/2 lb of rib tips some beans and slaw for my dad. 
brisket was very good as were the rib tips (my dad loved the rib tips). Beans were good, but nothing special. My dad didn’t like the slaw and didn’t finish it. 
Nice spot and nice folks. Wish I could have tried more on the menu though. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca207ebdfbccb7b62646fff48a3075d9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Dropped into Mimsy’s Craft BBQ today with my dad. Ordered at 10:45, so yeah kind of early, but they open at 10am according to google.  Was disappointed when they said that the sausage and boudin were not ready and wouldn’t be ready for another hour. Their fountain drink machine was also not working. 
So we ordered 1lb of brisket, 1/2 lb of rib tips some beans and slaw for my dad. 
brisket was very good as were the rib tips (my dad loved the rib tips). Beans were good, but nothing special. My dad didn’t like the slaw and didn’t finish it. 
Nice spot and nice folks. Wish I could have tried more on the menu though. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca207ebdfbccb7b62646fff48a3075d9.jpeg

Love me some Rib tips; they are rare this way. Wish more places made them.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, dcbc said:

I got to try his outstanding food last at Bodacious just a month or so before he left.  I need to get over to Longview to try Sunbird soon.

In college I would eat at Bodacious every Sunday for cheap.  It was like 7.50 for a large tea, chips and two chopped beef sammiches.  One of my favorite memories of being in the right arm pit of Texas for a stint.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Distant Relatives is a personal top 15-20 bbq spot. Maybe higher. Wonderful brisket, some of the best ribs ive had, and great pulled pork. Their regular bbq sauce sucks, but their african curry sauce or whatever is light but has a nice kick and depth to it

I must have hit them on the wrong day, although there should not be a wrong day if a place is worthy of ranking.  The moist brisket was sliced 1/8 inch thick and was still tough.  That brisket should have been turned into chili and not served as sliced brisket.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:22 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Stopped into Zavala and picked up 1/2 lb fatty brisket, 1/2 lb lean, 1/2 lb barbacoa, two links of jalapeño cheddar sausage, a couple of poppers and some spicy slaw. I thought everything was excellent, especially the brisket and sausage. Really liked the salsa verde.  Surprised by the lack of a significant line. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3e819a6eab62df062f991fbc169ab1.jpeg

Stopped by there on Saturday morning.  First in line at 11:00 and I had arrived about 15 minutes early.  One pound of brisket, 1/2 pound of beef cheeks, 1 popper, 1 link of jalapeno cheddar sausage, spicy coleslaw and dozen tortillas.  Brisket, beef cheeks, sausage, and brisket popper were great.  My buddy got some pork ribs as well and was impressed.  Spicy slaw was too sweet so I tossed it.  Green salsa nad tortillas were awesome.  Would recommend and will return if I'm in the area.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The food was very meh. Should have went to Taste of Texas for soup and salad 

I do Taste of Tx for that exact thing every few weeks.   I get there rt at 11 a.m. Like an old man so that I get a table and don't have to touch everyone's coots with the serving utensils.

But I've liked Feges a bit more than you.  Serviceable but not Truth.

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Anything worthwhile around Celina, or am I best served to run over to Hutchins in McKinney? If it matters I'll be headed toward Tyler after Celina so McKinney's not out of the way at all. 

The Hutchins in Frisco is right down Preston Rd, but if you’re heading East I suppose that doesn’t really matter.

Just now, CycleTex87 said:

Looking at trying Feges in Spring Branch tomorrow.  What’s the line situation like in Spring Branch?  Won’t get there before 12:30 or so.  Should I expect to stand in line for an hour?  Will be with my kid that won’t handle a long line well.  Thanks for your help.  @tx 3 putt  @Hornbeliever

little to no line

drive 15 more minutes to Truth on washington (there will be a line) or Pinkerton's 

13 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Looking at trying Feges in Spring Branch tomorrow.  What’s the line situation like in Spring Branch?  Won’t get there before 12:30 or so.  Should I expect to stand in line for an hour?  Will be with my kid that won’t handle a long line well.  Thanks for your help.  @tx 3 putt  @Hornbeliever

I don't know lines at bbq places on weekends because with kids, we go to Mia's and places like that. 

If you prioritze convenience and kid cant do lines at all, I'd go to Feges.  Never too long a line.  Max 15 minutes.  Bonus points also go to Feges because they have play area (dependent on how old).

If you prefer taste and think kid can handle 30-45 minute line, I'd hit up Truth because it is higher quality.

I've sorta dropped off Pinkertons because Truth is more convenient for me so haven't been since Covid.

I am just one man with one opinion. At 12:30, hit up Feges.  The line at Truth since the new top 50 dropped is fucking stupid.  I say that because a bunch of newbs that didn’t pay attention years ago now know.  Truth is better. Better than Pinkerton’s.  Better than Feges. 

That being said, Truth yesterday was on point as usual. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9e430d8216498052c09f59f694e320c9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am just one man with one opinion. At 12:30, hit up Feges.  The line at Truth since the new top 50 dropped is fucking stupid.  I say that because a bunch of newbs that didn’t pay attention years ago now know.  Truth is better. Better than Pinkerton’s.  Better than Feges. 

That being said, Truth yesterday was on point as usual. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9e430d8216498052c09f59f694e320c9.jpeg

The line at Truth is not that bad if you get there at 11 or slightly before like an actual local. 

The line at Truth is not that bad if you get there at 11 or slightly before like an actual local. 

I haven’t kept an official count, but I suspect my lunch yesterday was my 20th at the Houston location. The line is much, much longer now since the pandemic restrictions have been lifted and the new top 50 was released. I kind of miss the situation a year ago. I would fill up, get my feed in 10 minutes and eat it off my tailgate in the parking lot. Now there are a bunch of Johnny come lately’s making the line retarded.

Micklethwait sucks ass. Some of the most overrated BBQ in the state. 

This is one of the bigger mysteries to me. I never ate at the Austin location, but ate at the Smithville location before they closed and was very underwhelmed. Honestly, if I am in Austin I am going to L&L 90% of the time or Valentina’s.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am just one man with one opinion. At 12:30, hit up Feges.  

my brisket last week, needed another 45 to 60 mins. they have too nice a spot to serve that kind of brisket. rudy's would have been a better choice that day. we got there about 11:15 or so

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 12/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Anything worthwhile around Celina, or am I best served to run over to Hutchins in McKinney? If it matters I'll be headed toward Tyler after Celina so McKinney's not out of the way at all. 

Prob too late but the joint owned by torii hunter ~on the square is pretty solid.