Texas BBQ

Washpark

9 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Headed to Austin from Dallas for a conference in a few weeks.
Traveling down on a Monday and want to stop along the way for a BBQ lunch.
Being a Monday, a lot of places are closed.
Suggestions on a place to stop that is convenient off 35.

Miller's Smokehouse in Belton.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Stopped by Interstellar BBQ yesterday.  Line was about an hour long at 1:15.  Moist brisket was great as usual.  Jalapeno slaw is also very good - I keep trying to replicate it.  Picked up two jalapeno popper sausage links to eat this evening with the brisket I cooked over night.

ETA - sausage was really tasty and I've just about dialed in the coleslaw.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

I went to Miller's the other day, I was alone. I ordered a half chicken. Ate the leg first, then nibbled a little on the wing part of the breast quarter. I needed a drink refill so I got up for ten seconds, on my way back the same motherfucker that brought me the food five minutes earlier had just picked up my hardly touched tray and was dumping trash  from other tables on it. I said, HEYYY, dude!" Total lack of awareness. I got a new half chicken but that's some bullshit.

I hate the set up they have nowdays, and the food is not anything special, just OK. It was light years better at the old  place before they got snooty and turned it over to the college kids and the tourist crowd. The seating lottery bullshit that use is full retard. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Hellberg near Waco  is a bit off the I-35 path but it's the one getting great reviews from people who know something about real barbecue, though I personally have not made it out there yet. 

https://www.helbergbarbecue.com

I went to Guess Family Smokehouse in downtown Waco a little while back, it's OK but I was a bit disappointed. 

Schoeph's in Belton is actually better than it was a couple of years ago. They do their brisket different now and don't cut the bark off any more, but their prices are absurd for what they are, which is just pretty good. I think I've gotten to the point where I'd rather eat at Schoepf's than Miller's I mostly don't go to either because the prices suck ass for mediocre que. The bigass pork chop is their best item when they aren't cold, but priced per pound and  high AF. The sides are very good. I love the sauce they make and can drink it right from the cup.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2022 at 12:06 AM, Both Tacos said:

hit a rudy's, take the cup home

• Like 1

HEB had the briskets for $1.87/lb, so I stocked up. 

Was amused by the folk next to me buying trimmed brisket. I’m from the @Vic Mackey school when it comes to brisket. I have always bought packers since I was a chavalito. 

Have never eaten BBQ in Houston and have lived here quite a while.
I just fire up the pit and make my own. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

wtf ?

When you know how to smoke a brisket & ribs and compare what you can buy to why you can do yourself, every BBQ joint kinda sucks...My brisket is better than pinkerton's and killen's (in my opinion).  Why would I pay $30 a pound for brisket that isn't as good as what I can make myself for $5 a pound (including fuel source and seasonings)?

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

When you know how to smoke a brisket & ribs and compare what you can buy to why you can do yourself, every BBQ joint kinda sucks...My brisket is better than pinkerton's and killen's (in my opinion).  Why would I pay $30 a pound for brisket that isn't as good as what I can make myself for $5 a pound (including fuel source and seasonings)?

This gentleman and scholar is more articulate than I. 

Been making my own brisket for 40+ years. We were taught at a very early age to BBQ. Family tradition/rite of passage and what not. 
Grew up on brisket, when it was $.19/lb. It was “throw away” meat, which poor folk bought to feed a lot of people. 
Then a group of people found out about it… Now it’s delicacy. Gentrified my meat, so to speak.

You know what else used to be “throw away” meat? Fajita. Now getting it at $7/lb is a good deal. 
What’s next? Barbacoa? Lengua? Tripas?
Hell, even menudo… honeycomb is now $6/lb.

Paying $30/lb for something I can do for at least a sixth of the cost and a whole lot better?
No gracias. 

/RantOver

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

Schoepf's posted a link to this top 25 list, obviously because they're on it. I agree they stepped up their brisket game, but I'm thinking the source material was not a very thoroughly researched. 

https://texas-barbecue.com/texas-barbecue-top-25-2022/?fbclid=IwAR38pY65YpaVAxHzvT0NBRxVxwUiMq73YecRIlgQoN29_-0_nSmhKss9zIk

I like lists.  Gives me a couple new places to try, especially in places that don't have tried and true barbecue joints.  Of the ones on this list that I know, they are all great barbecue places.  Not sure if I trust the guy at #1 since he is wearing a Cooper's shirt, though.

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Schoepf's posted a link to this top 25 list, obviously because they're on it. I agree they stepped up their brisket game, but I'm thinking the source material was not a very thoroughly researched. 

https://texas-barbecue.com/texas-barbecue-top-25-2022/?fbclid=IwAR38pY65YpaVAxHzvT0NBRxVxwUiMq73YecRIlgQoN29_-0_nSmhKss9zIk

i mean, i loved Creekside - they were great but #1 in Texas? Kelly's Hill Country BBQ?!

Here is the Top 10

Spoiler

#1 Kelly’s Hill Country BBQ

#2 Panther City BBQ

#3 Brotherton’s Black Iron Barbecue

#4 Schoepf’s BBQ

#5 Mimsy’s Craft Barbecue

#6 Rollin Smoke BBQ

#7 Daddy Duncan’s BBQ

#8 Brett’s Backyard Barbeque

#9 Tejas Chocolate & Barbecue

#10 Blood Bros. BBQ

Everyone loves Brotherton but they are absolutely not the best BBQ in Austin. Having a Top 10 list with no Franklin, Leroy & Lewis, Truth (or 2M? or Burnt Bean?) is absolutely a bad list.

the typo on calling Burnt Bean Burnet Bean while right under a picture of their sign is a bad look.

Wright's is great but they are absolutely not a top 50 place and their name is literally "Wright On Taco" - great folks though.

Schoepf's didn't make the top 50, nor did Rollin Smoke, Daddy Duncan's.

idk if this guy has never eaten BBQ in Dallas but ignoring all the DFW spots basically is certainly an interesting opinion.

Tried Roegel's Katy location on Saturday.

Brisket was pretty solid, but definitely not in the same tier as Truth or even Pinkerton's. The jalapeno-cheese sausage was also good. The pork belly really stole the show and is worth stopping in for. I also ordered a half chicken and diced it up for tacos the next day.

Brett's it still the best place in the area, but Roegel's is a solid option, particularly until Brett's moves to its new location with hopefully improved parking, and much better than Dozier's. 

Met up with deadshank for lunch today. Second time that sumbitch insisted on paying. Next time it’s on me or it will be pistols at Dawn.  We hit Feges as I was on a tight timeline. It was a real sausage fest. Good lunch, better company (he made me sign something requiring I said that). He sends his regards. 

image.thumb.jpeg.169f34994ffd4e4eecffe6d5f25d8ac3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/11/2022 at 7:46 AM, JerrysJheriCurl said:

HEB had the briskets for $1.87/lb, so I stocked up. 

Was amused by the folk next to me buying trimmed brisket. I’m from the @Vic Mackey school when it comes to brisket. I have always bought packers since I was a chavalito. 

Have never eaten BBQ in Houston and have lived here quite a while.
I just fire up the pit and make my own. 

Made a trip to HEB and saw the same deal for briskets. Good looking choice briskets for $1.87 per pound. Grabbed two 15 pounders.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, pearlandhorn said:

All of this.  I rarely go out for que anymore.  For the price of what I’d pay at one of the usual suspects discussed here I can do a whole brisket better than 90% of them and feed my family for a week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Quite possibly the saddest video on YouTube.

Just terrible.
There was one where a guy at a BBQ competition (somewhere up north) was just murdering the brisket and was throwing the bark in the trash.
I can’t find it or maybe YouTube took it down. 
The comment sections of these vids bring the lulz.

Thank you for showing me the perfect way to slice brisket!

12 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I saw a guy at Franklin once cutting the bark and fat off his brisket with scissors he brought.

There was a guy in front of me at the Abilene joint that made the 2017 TM Top 50 who insisted on having all of the bark and outsides trimmed off of his brisket - tasted like an ash try to him.  He was not pleased when they weighted all trimmings with the meat he ordered.