Texas BBQ

Washpark

Met my folks and brother and sister-in-law at Lost Pines this past weekend. Seeing that Snow's was just under an hour from Lost Pines, I put together an excursion to go Saturday morning. (I also had some items from our charity BBQ event that she served as a celeb judge that I needed to give her.) My 14-year-old son, my parents and I rolled out of Lost Pines around 7:15 Saturday morning. We got to Snow's by 8:15 and the line was as long as I've ever seen it. Two years ago, we'd gotten there around 8:15 upon Tootsie's recommendation and had food in hand by 10:15/10:30. This was a much longer line than I remembered and my parents are in their mid-70's. My dad is in good shape but my mother is not, at least not like he is. Oh well, I put on a brave face and we waited -- and waited, and waited. (Tootsie and Kerry later said they were surprised by the size of the line this week.)

After about 90 mins in line, I went to find Tootsie to let her know I was there with what I needed to give her and also ask if we were OK on getting food where we were. I said I couldn't wait to get dive into the delicious pork steak we were going to get. She said we were fine on food but would probably be out of chicken (as usual). Meh. About an hour later, she comes to find us in line and said they were getting low on on pork but she'd pulled one aside for us. Thank goodness she did because we we got in to order they had brisket, sausage and turkey (and white bread) left over. No sides. No banana pudding. Just meat. Not a problem.
We loaded up with two pounds of brisket, a pound of turkey and a link of both kinds of sausage and went to sit down. Tootsie pulled the pork steak she'd set aside out of the smoker and brought it over. Hot damn was that amazing of her to do that -- and it was the star of the table (that and the brisket, of course).
My parents and son absolutely loved it -- despite the three-hour wait in line. Tootsie came and sat down at the table with us for about 30 mins and ate her "lunch" with us. Her lunch was a fat sausage link wrapped up in a slice of white bread.
In summation, my third trip to Snow's was an absolute delight. Tootsie is an unbelievable person and a true Texas treasure. She has really taken to our cause and even toured the school when she was up last month.
Snow's is my absolute favorite BBQ place on Planet Earth. There are other places smoking meat that is this good and many places have better sides. But Snow's is doing it the old school way, the way that put Lockhart and Taylor and Luling on the BBQ map and kind of kicked off this Aaron Franklin-inspired BBQ renaissance in Texas. And ain't nobody else got Tootsie. Snow's food is amazing and the atmosphere (and the staff) is even better. If you haven't been, you need to go. Tootsie will not be with us forever and that thought makes me momentarily sad.

b7f485e570984170d463dd15e3859a1b.jpg

16aad1fb5928fca454391d503a388d9f.jpg

68c31c259092444ca0d603e73073ed06.jpg

ef605ada52f2f99edf97adea87a6e536.jpg

426adea682830925fc9be9c292cb84b2.jpg

562072f8d6bb0a4aaf82f56dabee54ae.jpg

b0fc7040be95a51277ac28c5525522d2.jpg

92ff2e96edfb7031c747f0c843fad1c8.jpg

Wow. I’ve only been once and it’s like going to the Holy Land or Normandy. Tootsie doesn’t just define Texas barbecue but she defines everything that is good and decent and special about Texas. She grew up in tough times and has been through it and thrived. I put her up there with Sam Houston, Bob Wills, and Frank Hamer among others.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Wow. I’ve only been once and it’s like going to the Holy Land or Normandy. Tootsie doesn’t just define Texas barbecue but she defines everything that is good and decent and special about Texas. She grew up in tough times and has been through it and thrived. I put her up there with Sam Houston, Bob Wills, and Frank Hamer among others.

I am so happy she got an episode of Chef's Table. SO many people, even here in TX, were introduced to her through it. Couldn't be happier that they are making $$$ out in Lexington!

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That story about Snow's is fantastic.  I need to make the trip to mecca.  Thanks for posting it.

Ha, it really is Mecca for BBQ lovers. I even put that on my social media post with the pic of Tootsie, my son and I. Said I was BBQ Mecca with my adopted grandmother!

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Ha, it really is Mecca for BBQ lovers. I even put that on my social media post with the pic of Tootsie, my son and I. Said I was BBQ Mecca with my adopted grandmother!

Question regarding Snow's line etiquette. Say I get there at 1AM, sleep in my lawnchair type thing in line. Is it okay for my wife to sleep in the car, then come and get in line with me later? I've never waited in lines like this for anything and have never planned on it, but Snow's is the only place I'd consider this for...

20 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Question regarding Snow's line etiquette. Say I get there at 1AM, sleep in my lawnchair type thing in line. Is it okay for my wife to sleep in the car, then come and get in line with me later? I've never waited in lines like this for anything and have never planned on it, but Snow's is the only place I'd consider this for...

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem at all. If you were in the line all night and then all of a sudden a bunch of your buddies showed up at 7:55 and got in the line with you, you might hear from the folks behind you. That would be a dick move.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, C-Man said:

If you were in the line all night and then all of a sudden a bunch of your buddies showed up at 7:55 and got in the line with you, you might hear from the folks behind you

Yah, I'd never pull that crap. I just know my wife likes to try different bbq etc..., so it could be something we could do, but she's not outdoorsy at all. The car is almost too much to ask tbh lol. Snow's is the only place I'll do it for. Want to try those pork steaks, and say I had some of Tootsie's food. 

27 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I got there at 5am because I'm a hate line type of person. There was one dude in front of us in a lawn chair. It happens. A car of all-nighters showed up behind us, they had beer. It was nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I got there at 5am because I'm a hate line type of person. There was one dude in front of us in a lawn chair. It happens. A car of all-nighters showed up behind us, they had beer. It was nice. 

5AM? How long ago was this? I'd much rather 5AM, but was under the impression it might take a little more than that. 

I am so happy she got an episode of Chef's Table. SO many people, even here in TX, were introduced to her through it. Couldn't be happier that they are making $$$ out in Lexington!

All Texas children should be required to watch this episode in 7th grade Texas history.
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need recs for Q (and TexMex or Mexican) in Tyler.  I have the privilege of spending 2 nights and 3 days there later this week.

If I remember correctly, @dcbc is the resident expert on Tyler. 

For barbecue, give Stanley's Famous Pit Barbecue a try.  TM Top 50 in 2017 and 2021.  I haven't been there since 2017, but, since it is still on the list - and almost half of the list is new - it's worth a trip.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need recs for Q (and TexMex or Mexican) in Tyler.  I have the privilege of spending 2 nights and 3 days there later this week.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

For barbecue, give Stanley's Famous Pit Barbecue a try.  TM Top 50 in 2017 and 2021.  I haven't been there since 2017, but, since it is still on the list - and almost half of the list is new - it's worth a trip.

I wasn't all that impressed with Stanley's.  Tyler doesn't really have that many good options as far as BBQ goes (outside of Stanley's).  Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

was this in 2009?  these days at 5am you are 100 deep.  

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

don’t think twice about it.  it’s fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Met my folks and brother and sister-in-law at Lost Pines this past weekend. Seeing that Snow's was just under an hour from Lost Pines, I put together an excursion to go Saturday morning. (I also had some items from our charity BBQ event that she served as a celeb judge that I needed to give her.) My 14-year-old son, my parents and I rolled out of Lost Pines around 7:15 Saturday morning. We got to Snow's by 8:15 and the line was as long as I've ever seen it. Two years ago, we'd gotten there around 8:15 upon Tootsie's recommendation and had food in hand by 10:15/10:30. This was a much longer line than I remembered and my parents are in their mid-70's. My dad is in good shape but my mother is not, at least not like he is. Oh well, I put on a brave face and we waited -- and waited, and waited. (Tootsie and Kerry later said they were surprised by the size of the line this week.)

After about 90 mins in line, I went to find Tootsie to let her know I was there with what I needed to give her and also ask if we were OK on getting food where we were. I said I couldn't wait to get dive into the delicious pork steak we were going to get. She said we were fine on food but would probably be out of chicken (as usual). Meh. About an hour later, she comes to find us in line and said they were getting low on on pork but she'd pulled one aside for us. Thank goodness she did because we we got in to order they had brisket, sausage and turkey (and white bread) left over. No sides. No banana pudding. Just meat. Not a problem.

We loaded up with two pounds of brisket, a pound of turkey and a link of both kinds of sausage and went to sit down. Tootsie pulled the pork steak she'd set aside out of the smoker and brought it over. Hot damn was that amazing of her to do that -- and it was the star of the table (that and the brisket, of course).

My parents and son absolutely loved it -- despite the three-hour wait in line. Tootsie came and sat down at the table with us for about 30 mins and ate her "lunch" with us. Her lunch was a fat sausage link wrapped up in a slice of white bread.

In summation, my third trip to Snow's was an absolute delight. Tootsie is an unbelievable person and a true Texas treasure. She has really taken to our cause and even toured the school when she was up last month.

Snow's is my absolute favorite BBQ place on Planet Earth. There are other places smoking meat that is this good and many places have better sides. But Snow's is doing it the old school way, the way that put Lockhart and Taylor and Luling on the BBQ map and kind of kicked off this Aaron Franklin-inspired BBQ renaissance in Texas. And ain't nobody else got Tootsie. Snow's food is amazing and the atmosphere (and the staff) is even better. If you haven't been, you need to go. Tootsie will not be with us forever and that thought makes me momentarily sad.

b7f485e570984170d463dd15e3859a1b.jpg

16aad1fb5928fca454391d503a388d9f.jpg

68c31c259092444ca0d603e73073ed06.jpg

ef605ada52f2f99edf97adea87a6e536.jpg

426adea682830925fc9be9c292cb84b2.jpg

562072f8d6bb0a4aaf82f56dabee54ae.jpg

b0fc7040be95a51277ac28c5525522d2.jpg

92ff2e96edfb7031c747f0c843fad1c8.jpg

This might be the most badass post on this entire site.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I wasn't all that impressed with Stanley's.  Tyler doesn't really have that many good options as far as BBQ goes (outside of Stanley's).  Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

@jimmyjazz

Outside of Stanley's, don't bother with BBQ here.  I like Stanley's.  The brisket is good and you can't go wrong with the sandwiches.  They seem to have changed something with their ribs in the last year or so, which I don't think has been an improvement.  Still a fan of the place overall though, and they employ my teenage son.  Consider too that you're not going to be standing in line for a long time.  Go for dinner.  They have a good bar and good music some nights.

As for Tex-Mex, check out Ruby's or Ruby's II.  Tacos and more; breakfast or lunch.  I'm also a fan of Don Juan's (not the east Texas chain).  Straightforward TexMex and has been here forever.  For a little more upscale Tex Mex, Javi's is good (not great), but is a nice atmosphere with good drinks.

Another place with a decent bar and good atmosphere is the Grove.  The food is fine and the service sucks.  So I usually stick to drinks and maybe a meat/cheese board.

ETX Brewing Co. near downtown is good.  Good food and decent beers

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Another place with a decent bar and good atmosphere is the Grove.  The food is fine and the service sucks.  So I usually stick to drinks and maybe a meat/cheese board.

Second on Grove Kitchen.  Nice, upscale place.  Haven't been post-pandemic, so can't comment on service issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Second on Grove Kitchen.  Nice, upscale place.  Haven't been post-pandemic, so can't comment on service issues.

I don't recall the service being all that great before the pandemic.  But it's a nice place and a short drive home for us.

@jimmyjazz For really good food, definitely make a dinner reservation at Culture ETX on the square.  It's really solid, but it has a small dining room.  So you need reservations.

Also, there's a Tyler thread

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm traveling with my 18 YO son, so "upscale" ain't happening.  I'm liking the Ruby's rec, and we'll probably try Stanley's Thursday night.
Thanks to all.

Is the Country Tavern in Kilgore not a thing anymore? Granted, it was 20 years ago, but a big plate of their ribs and an icy schooner of beer was a damn good cap off to a day back then.
  • Like 1

Is the Country Tavern in Kilgore not a thing anymore? Granted, it was 20 years ago, but a big plate of their ribs and an icy schooner of beer was a damn good cap off to a day back then.

I went to Tavern a few months ago, still great. If you do Stanley’s @jimmyjazz go with the MotherClucker sammich, ribs mushy there now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm one of those people who isn't originally from Tyler or nearby and who has tried Country Tavern several times and has left fairly unimpressed.  Some people still sing its praises though.  I do remember its being better 20 years ago when I first ate there.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm traveling with my 18 YO son, so "upscale" ain't happening.  I'm liking the Ruby's rec, and we'll probably try Stanley's Thursday night.

Thanks to all.

Have fun.  ETX Brewing is a good spot that is both kid and adult friendly too.

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Go to Stanleys, get the Mother Clucker - Cadillac Style.

Can't help a ton on the other. People LOVE Country Tavern, but I've never had better ribs there than Stanleys (haven't been in 5+ years to Stanleys, but know folks who have been there for the Clucker in the last few months)

BBQ Snob did a post on Stanleys last week: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/stanleys-famous-pit-texas-barbecue-sandwiches-tyler/

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Hirotoshi Mugen got there at 5a like 2 weeks ago and was 40th in line. Said there were 300 in line by 7am

I think this pic is from his last trip there:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce7wGPiOcph/

• Hook 'Em 1

Last visit to Truth in Houston was par for the course:  excellent. the most consistent bbq joint I have ever been to (probably 25 times now). 

image.thumb.jpeg.f612f065fe306dae10c00d8f7a37e4dd.jpeg

this Friday I have off and will do my usual photography road trip. I always try to schedule a bbq lunch while on the road. Really conflicted these days and struggling between Burnt Bean, 1701, L&L, Valentina’s, and 2m.  Have a lot to think about tomorrow.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Last visit to Truth in Houston was par for the course:  excellent. the most consistent bbq joint I have ever been to (probably 25 times now). 

image.thumb.jpeg.f612f065fe306dae10c00d8f7a37e4dd.jpeg

this Friday I have off and will do my usual photography road trip. I always try to schedule a bbq lunch while on the road. Really conflicted these days and struggling between Burnt Bean, 1701, L&L, Valentina’s, and 2m.  Have a lot to think about tomorrow.   

You rib-hating, mofo!

• Hook 'Em 2

Had to pick something up for work in New Braunfels, stopped by Burnt Bean in Seguin on the way home.

Got there like 11:30ish and waited in line for prob 20 min.

Brisket & sausage for me.  Brisket & pork ribs for my buddy.

We shared all the sides Barbacoa Dirty Rice, Beans, Street Corn pudding, and Bacon Ranch taters

The brisket was excellent, but it was a 3rd place finisher out of all 3 meats.  Sausage was tops for me.  I only had a bite of the ribs, but they were delicious.

Top side for me was the Bacon Ranch Taters.  Im not a bean guy, but they were good.

image.thumb.png.da42d09c39d3c0796d58cc653647bddd.png

image.thumb.png.b54ae5e8e51807c65975ed0af85c34b1.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Dropped by 1701 today. Brisket (and some burnt ends), jalapeño cheddar sausage and beans (not typical for me to get a side). Really wanted to try their bayou bombs (I guess their take on a texas Twinkie). Anyways, as with my previous visits, everything was excellent.  Without a doubt the best BBQ in the golden triangle. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d7a71254bcd384604946ffe6aea202.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2