Texas BBQ

Washpark

8 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Big family gathering yesterday in Round Rock, early celebration of my parent's 60th wedding anniversary-August 25th.  Parents are doing pretty well, both can walk and talk well, just a little bit of repeating stuff. .

Poke-Jo's is my dad's favorite.  Normally I don't think much of them, but they came through big time yesterday.  Brisket, pork ribs and sausage.  Everybody agreed the pork ribs was the winner.  We got the biggest container of bar-be-cue sauce ever, basically a little plastic bucket.  didn't need but a tiny bit of bbq sauce. 

If you have to feed a bunch of folks, Pok-e-jo's is solid. Pro tip: don't order catering. Figure out how many people you need to feed and order the appropriate number of their Big Deals and order them. Each one is 5 lbs of meat and 4 sides. $139 each. They say it serves 10-12 people, but it feeds 12 easily. Women and children never eat that much, unless you're Vic. Goes from about $18 a person to $14 a person.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Stopped by the Pustka Family Barbecue trailer in Hutto for lunch today.  They made the TM Top New 25 in 2019.  Today was their last day in Hutto - going to be opening a brick and mortar in Temple on the east side.  Not the best barbecue, but its really pretty good.  

Got a quarter pound moist brisket, regular sausage link, and half a chicken.  The brisket was undercooked and unimpressive.  Their handmade Czech sausage was great - some of my favorite.  Course grind and wonderful snap on the casing.  Chicken was spot on as well.  Here's a picture from their facebook post today - I got mine to-go, so no actual pictures.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If a place has good chicken, that’s the first thing I’m ordering every time 

I never order chicken at a 'cue place.  So easy to do at home.  Brine it with salt, sugar, garlic powder for a couple of days.  Smoke it for a couple of hours.  Easy.

Brisket and ribs are way more complicated.  I'm happy to pay somebody else to cook those.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hit B. Cooper Barbecue for lunch today. I yelled "I'm from the internet" to see if any of y'all were there, but, no such luck.

Got the five meat plate with moist brisket, baby back ribs, lamb, pulled pork, Mangalista pork roast, spicy slaw, elotes, and added some collards.

Not a bad bite on the tray. Pork roast and lamb were my favorites.

4f9f906c84fb4bf15be5327283946d95.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Truth again this weekend. Swayze is right, this place is consistent. 

After going there every other week or so since it opened--not even covid could get between me and that brisket/tater tot casserole/corn pudding--I haven't been in probably 3 months.  Well, I've gotten the cravings for bbq again so good to hear still strong as ever.  

Edited by Hornbeliever

On 7/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Hit B. Cooper Barbecue for lunch today. I yelled "I'm from the internet" to see if any of y'all were there, but, no such luck.

Got the five meat plate with moist brisket, baby back ribs, lamb, pulled pork, Mangalista pork roast, spicy slaw, elotes, and added some collards.

Not a bad bite on the tray. Pork roast and lamb were my favorites.

4f9f906c84fb4bf15be5327283946d95.jpg

how many people were there?  

On 7/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Reese Bros BBQ in San Antonio. Brisket was excellent. Queso fundido was delicious and had a nice kick. I am not a sides guy, but the poblano Mac piqued my interest and it didn’t disappoint. Will definitely be eating there again. Hopefully they expand their hours. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf028c7f5c04fda6861d693952b1d03b.jpeg

How were the tortillas?

how many people were there?  
Walked right up. There was a group of 4-5 people waiting who ended up three trays. One guy waiting for a to go order. A guy and two young kids showed up after us. Then a couple.

Cooper was doing everything, so it took a little while to get our tray. He said that his volume has increased 5x and he was going to get some help. He was surprised that Daniel Vaughan's article dropped so quickly and the article was so kind. Real humble guy. I hope he does well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Walked right up. There was a group of 4-5 people waiting who ended up three trays. One guy waiting for a to go order. A guy and two young kids showed up after us. Then a couple.

Cooper was doing everything, so it took a little while to get our tray. He said that his volume has increased 5x and he was going to get some help. He was surprised that Daniel Vaughan's article dropped so quickly and the article was so kind. Real humble guy. I hope he does well.

yeah he definitely needs help.  he does everything by himself.  I was there last week with a few friends and we were the only ones there the whole time.  probably took 20-25 minutes to get food after ordering.  hopefully he can afford a helper now. 

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That lamb breast is calling me.  

Get that and whatever version of Mangalitsa pork he has available.  The flavor of pork roast was incredible.  I meant to ask him which cut he used for the pork roast, but forgot.  He said he ran out of the Mangalitsa ribs and it would be a couple weeks before he gets more.  

Edited by Jerry Callo

54 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Will be in Houston this weekend....how's the lunch line for Truth BBQ on Fridays?  Would Pinkerton's be a better choice?

There will be a line starting right before they open at 11, but it always moves pretty quick. I don't think I've ever stood in line for more than 15 minutes total.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, speed817 said:

If I was ordering a lot, I would.  This is just one meal out of many this coming weekend lol.  I probably won't even be hungry when I arrive for lunch.

their line moves fast but you'll be there and see how many more internet orders they're filling vs in line orders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pre-order. There's no bigger pet peeve of mine than fuckers in a bbq line who spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what they once they make the front of the line. What in the fuck were you doing the entire time in line?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Pre-order. There's no bigger pet peeve of mine than fuckers in a bbq line who spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what they once they make the front of the line. What in the fuck were you doing the entire time in line?

It's the new "person who pulls out a checkbook in the grocery line, only after their entire cart has been rung up."

15 hours ago, Deej said:

2nd only to the people that wait for hours in bbq line just to order one chopped beef sandwich 

• Like 1