Texas BBQ

Washpark

Hmmm, let's see if we can spot the flaws in their "analysis":

* Austin has more BBQ joints per 100K residents (4.7 vs 4.2)

* Austin BBQ joints have a higher average Yelp rating (4.2 vs 4)

* San Antonians spend more of their income on BBQ (0.36% vs 0.28%)

First counterpoint, even though it's in Austin's favor:  Yelp.  For fuck's sake.  Second counterpoint, exactly how would one think the average incomes compare in Austin and San Antonio?  Oh, that's $41K vs $27K?  Hmmm, I wonder how San Antonians spend a slightly higher fraction of their income on BBQ?

Idiots.

21 hours ago, Deej said:

What percentage of the money San Antonians spend on bbq is spent at Bill Miller?

1. their tea is damn good #teamunsweet

2. their sausage and potato taco (toast up the sausage) is top 5 taco in the state

3. Their salsa is damn good, i mean DAMN good 

4. their fried chicken is very good 

5. their bean and cheese tacos are superb b

6. I’ve never had bbq from there (but excellent chopped sandwiches) 

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

1. their tea is damn good #teamunsweet

2. their sausage and potato taco (toast up the sausage) is top 5 taco in the state

3. Their salsa is damn good, i mean DAMN good 

4. their fried chicken is very good 

5. their bean and cheese tacos are superb b

6. I’ve never had bbq from there (but excellent chopped sandwiches) 

Won't argue in general, just a point of clarification for the record-- there is no such thing as "unsweet tea."  It's just called "tea."  

Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

59f5722d99b8f14777368845a952a3c5.jpg

First visit to Goldees. Slammed and went hard as fuck. Everything elite other than I found the sausage fairly mid. Cheesy grits were better than John M (RIP). Brisket as good as Franklin.

Arrived about 1015, about 30-35th in line, had food about 1145.

JM did cheesy squash, not grits.  And it was the tits.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Didn't have time for a barbecue adventure today, because we're moving my oldest daughter down to UT today. I did manage a quick stop at Stiles Switch for moist brisket, Cuban sandwich sausage, and roasted Brussel sprouts. Note the burnt ends tossed on the tray by the cutter. It's really nice having great barbecue close by with a short line.

9f5ab1d9334dfadee673627b6b4b340d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

JM did cheesy squash, not grits.  And it was the tits.

True on both accounts. I should have added clarity. Also after smashing my leftovers I think “mid” was somewhat unfair for the sausage. It wasn’t as good as the other meats but they were all great. Sausage does have a nice pepper heat kinda like John M did. The casing did the annoying thing where it peels instead of snaps and I think I unduly penalized. Solid B.

59f5722d99b8f14777368845a952a3c5.jpg

First visit to Goldees. Slammed and went hard as fuck. Everything elite other than I found the sausage fairly mid. Cheesy grits were better than John M (RIP). Brisket as good as Franklin.

Arrived about 1015, about 30-35th in line, had food about 1145.

I haven’t been back since their 1 ranking. Got to go. That homemade bread is tits.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Never been to one of these big BBQ deals because I don't know that I could eat the ticket's value, but getting the Top 50 in one place is impressive:

tix: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tm-bbq-fest-top-50-picnic-tickets-330829930227

image.thumb.png.6f3e241430e9bdcfb435726c1f0d7357.png

Did one in Dallas a few yrs back, def got moneys worth on the ticket. 

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Never been to one of these big BBQ deals because I don't know that I could eat the ticket's value, but getting the Top 50 in one place is impressive:

tix: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tm-bbq-fest-top-50-picnic-tickets-330829930227

I did the Troubadour Festival in June.  Definitely worth the money, but also included a full day's worth of live music.  I have tickets to the TM BBQ Fest as well, but will likely be missing it due to a fishing trip.

If you go:  Don't eat breakfast.  Do bring a tray to carry food boats.  Don't eat fillers like regular sides or breadlike products.  Do hit the places you've never been first.  Don't eat too much at one place - a couple bites are plenty.  Do focus on items that are specialties of the joint or more exotic like whole head barbacoa. Do try the carrot soufflé and any desserts from Tejas Chocolate + Barbecue.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

I turn 50 a few weeks before. Wife is sort of nudging me to do this with a few people for my birthday. I'm on the fence quite honestly.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:32 PM, C-Man said:

I turn 50 a few weeks before. Wife is sort of nudging me to do this with a few people for my birthday. I'm on the fence quite honestly.

If you've never been to one of these or Troubadour, etc.  You basically get a bite or two at each place you visit.  So it might be a taco or a quarter of a sandwich, etc.  So it's really one of those things where you get to enjoy a wide variety.  You also start to get picky because everyone has sausage and then you find that one joint who's serving a taste of banana pudding.  I see folks carrying those trays, etc.  I don't get it.  

Just wander from station to station eating your food on the way to the next and enjoying it while it's warm and fresh. 

image.thumb.jpeg.02a22521bbc439246253fb7aa84654ed.jpeg

Had Hurtado yesterday. Ribs were OK one was excellent had good flavor second was not as flavorful. Brisket was good (Still not as good as Truth and 2M). Sausage was pretty good but 2M still best I've had. Loaded Baked potato salad was pretty good side. Overall was pretty good and would go back if in the area.  Need to offer Big Red.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Bodacious, the place in Longview that was one a Top 10 joint?

Even if it is the one in Longview on Mobberly, I'm not sure if it's worth a damn after Bryan left to start Sunbird.  When he was there, the brisket still was very good.  I didn't have it in the era when his predecessor, who now is at Franklin, turned that place around.  The chain locations near me are awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I was in a pinch in Sulphur Springs.
So bad….so bad. I’m ashamed of my actions.

I tried that place a couple years ago and agree with your take.  Bodacious on Moberly in Longview was really good back in 2017, but its hard to imagine its the same now with the numerous personal changes.

If I were to stop for barbecue in Sulphur Springs now, I would give Slaughter's BBQ a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1