Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I chicken fried some leftover slices of brisket once.  It was fine, not sorry for the attempt, but not in a hurry to do it again either.

I can see thick slicing some point and chicken frying it with cream gravy.

The problem would be I never have any point left.  Or flat, for that matter.  Wait, what were we talking about?

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can see thick slicing some point and chicken frying it with cream gravy.

The problem would be I never have any point left.  Or flat, for that matter.  Wait, what were we talking about?

It absolutely needed to be thicker slices, but I was working with leftovers from a huge cook and it was already sliced.

This place is legit.  

I haven't posted about it as I wanted to see if he was going to be consistent.  He has been.  Great guy, great family.  

He has already been getting busy.  Went Wednesday at 1245 and he was out of Brisket.  Had turkey and it was great.  I also had a meat Twinkie.   The deserts are great also. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/b4-barbeque-boba-mabank/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Organic+Social&fbclid=IwAR1OTYpiQwOH98f0fTHfYcPAg0_RqPVNQsB-IBmEVc4Q3bPKyXyfPVYkNQs

• Like 1

No pictures, but Stiles Switch was on point yesterday evening for dinner.  Moist brisket and pork ribs were both cooked and seasoned well.  The monthly sausage, bratwurst, was great (as is most of their sausages).  I wouldn't have returned so soon after a mediocre lunch last week, but some friends picked it for birthday celebration.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/9/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jerry Callo said:

No pictures, but Stiles Switch was on point yesterday evening for dinner.  Moist brisket and pork ribs were both cooked and seasoned well.  The monthly sausage, bratwurst, was great (as is most of their sausages).  I wouldn't have returned so soon after a mediocre lunch last week, but some friends picked it for birthday celebration.   

Had an excellent lunch at SS last week.  Brisket, pork ribs, and smoked tri tip sandwich were all on point.  I've found the Cedar Park SS to be more consistent than the N Lamar one.

45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Had an excellent lunch at SS last week.  Brisket, pork ribs, and smoked tri tip sandwich were all on point.  I've found the Cedar Park SS to be more consistent than the N Lamar one.

Cedar Park is where I usually go.  If I go into Austin for barbecue, there are several better options.  Other than that one mediocre trip, all meals have been good.

4328f86c31da6e06cba1d1f7f53d4674.jpg

Hit up the True Texas BBQ in the Marble Falls HEB today. Pretty damn good! Isn’t Goldees or Truth obv but quite good. On left is the Texas Torpedo which is a sausage wrapped jalapeño stuffed with brisket and cream cheese. The jalapeño was hot! In back is green chile cheddar cornbread with honey butter which slapped. Brisket beans and Mac n Cheese were both very good. Brisket itself had good texture and really good flavor. Would def eat again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Shit like this isn’t necessarily bad news, but until they prove it doesn’t fuck it up you have to have some trepidation. A liquor license is bad in a lot of ways for lots of restaurants.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/truth-bbq-barbeque-dinner-cocktails-leonard-botello/

46 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Standing in line at Truth listening to some really dumb opinions about bbq. One guy claiming Salt Lick is the best “because they smoke the flavor into the brisket”. Then a conversation about sides breaks out. What the fuck is wrong with folks.

Next thing you know some godless slapdick will place his order for The Holy Duo because he doesn’t believe ribs are divine and the Holy Trinity is a false god. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Hit Interstellar BBQ for lunch today. Arrived at 10:35 expecting a longer line. I was 5th.

Pork belly burnt ends, tamarind lamb shank, and jalapeño slaw pictured. Everything was amazing. Moist brisket, tippsy turkey, and smoked gouda mac & cheese to go.

bfebc1ddb3a1abc2188357131f4af261.jpg

are they through the #1 hell of having to smoke so much more + dealing with lines on Fri/Sat? guessing getting their new pit helped a ton with this.

Standing in line at Truth listening to some really dumb opinions about bbq. One guy claiming Salt Lick is the best “because they smoke the flavor into the brisket”. Then a conversation about sides breaks out. What the fuck is wrong with folks.
Years ago some guy on another board swore the way to judge good BBQ was if their fried okra was legit. I'll never forget that post.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Hit Interstellar BBQ for lunch today. Arrived at 10:35 expecting a longer line. I was 5th.

Pork belly burnt ends, tamarind lamb shank, and jalapeño slaw pictured. Everything was amazing. Moist brisket, tippsy turkey, and smoked gouda mac & cheese to go.

that looks like a small serving 

On 10/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, TXSooner518 said:

4328f86c31da6e06cba1d1f7f53d4674.jpg

Hit up the True Texas BBQ in the Marble Falls HEB today. Pretty damn good! Isn’t Goldees or Truth obv but quite good. On left is the Texas Torpedo which is a sausage wrapped jalapeño stuffed with brisket and cream cheese. The jalapeño was hot! In back is green chile cheddar cornbread with honey butter which slapped. Brisket beans and Mac n Cheese were both very good. Brisket itself had good texture and really good flavor. Would def eat again.

True Texas is legit. Like you said it’s not elite level but it’s better than any chain. I believe the Rudys near me is non corporate and it sucks ass but I think True Texas is on the level of most Rudys. Which ain’t bad at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Where's the rest of your order???

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Anyone know how many True Texas’ there are, total in the state?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/h-e-b-runs-best-bbq-chain-texas/

This is from 2019 so I imagine there’s a few more than mentioned here. But good article about the process. It seems clear they are putting the effort in to have a solid product 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:29 AM, texasdago said:

Mickelthwait at ACL...

image.thumb.png.e1632fdeaa0164bf7f6df08fb00a2596.png

So we went looking for Micklethwait this evening and it turns out they'll be there tomorrow.  The Original Black's was there tonight, but had already sold out.  The wife and I started talking the Kent Black and my wife mentioned seeing his cool new joint in Lockhart when she was down there yesterday for a district cross-country meet.  Of course, she was talking about Terry Black's Barbecue.  Kent pointed out that was his brother's restaurant and not his and that his brother didn't pay his mother anything.  He still gave us cards for free 1/4 of brisket and was a nice guy to talk with.  I explained it all to her once we walked away and she felt terrible.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So per the earlier discussion regarding Truth opening a bar and dinner service, the cocktail menu was on the table. I like the nod to John. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d3e33081642c632e0bb687b1eebfde51.jpeg

BBQ was great, as expected. 

They should have another option for $40... comes with a black and white Under Armor cap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

So we went looking for Micklethwait this evening and it turns out they'll be there tomorrow.  The Original Black's was there tonight, but had already sold out.  The wife and I started talking the Kent Black and my wife mentioned seeing his cool new joint in Lockhart when she was down there yesterday for a district cross-country meet.  Of course, she was talking about Terry Black's Barbecue.  Kent pointed out that was his brother's restaurant and not his and that his brother didn't pay his mother anything.  He still gave us cards for free 1/4 of brisket and was a nice guy to talk with.  I explained it all to her once we walked away and she felt terrible.

What was Terry Black supposed to pay his mother?

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Terry Black apparently learned 'cue better than his brother or the rest of the Blacks.  Maybe they should pay him for some lessons?

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 2