Texas BBQ

Washpark

• 2 weeks later...

If y'all ever end up at Helberg BBQ, try their brussel sprouts & chimichurri slaw as sides.  Sprouts have smoked sour cream and candied pecans on them and the chimichurri slaw is incredible.  

I've talked about and posted many pics of their food, it's wonderful.  Been running with these sides the past few times I went out there.  Just incredible.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, Trey3216 said:

If y'all ever end up at Helberg BBQ, try their brussel sprouts & chimichurri slaw as sides.  Sprouts have smoked sour cream and candied pecans on them and the chimichurri slaw is incredible.  

I've talked about and posted many pics of their food, it's wonderful.  Been running with these sides the past few times I went out there.  Just incredible.  

Their chimichurri slaw is great.  I meant to try it at home with chimichurri left over after picanha.

• Like 1

Went to Intrinsic Smokehouse and Brewery in downtown Garland the other day.  It is solid, above average bbq that is priced reasonably.  2 one meat plates with 2 sides, 2 ribs on the side for $5, and 2 iced teas for $40.  It wasn’t a drinking lunch, so I didn’t have a chance to try their extensive selection of craft beers, but the BIL, who is the biggest beer snob on the planet, says they’re really good.  Worth a stop if you find yourself in that area.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, conVINCEd said:

Went to Intrinsic Smokehouse and Brewery in downtown Garland the other day.  It is solid, above average bbq that is priced reasonably.  2 one meat plates with 2 sides, 2 ribs on the side for $5, and 2 iced teas for $40.  It wasn’t a drinking lunch, so I didn’t have a chance to try their extensive selection of craft beers, but the BIL, who is the biggest beer snob on the planet, says they’re really good.  Worth a stop if you find yourself in that area.

I've heard good things about that place.  Need to stop in next time I'm up there visiting my folks.  

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I've heard good things about that place.  Need to stop in next time I'm up there visiting my folks.  

Visiting my parents is how I ended up there.  The parking situation is a fucking disaster right now as every street surrounding it is in some stage of construction.  Good food, there were maybe 5 people ahead of us in line.  We were eating in less than 5 minutes which is nice when you don’t have time to wait for 30 minutes at lunch.

• Like 1

Intrinsic is legit, I've been there probably ten times or so since I live about 15 minutes away. @conVINCEdis correct, it's not "blow you away" BBQ but it's damn good at a great price, and I don't know if I've ever had to wait longer than ten minutes in the line. Add in in-house brewed beers rotated in weekly and a nice outdoor (kinda, it's an old brick building attached with no roof) music area and it's solid option to take the fam. The parking area in front of all the stores has been under construction for what seems like forever but it's not bad finding parking that's a short walk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, Trey3216 said:

Helberg does have great bbq, wished they were open on Tuesday’s that’s pretty much the only day I’m in Waco.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

El Sancho Tex Mex BBQ in Mission, imo.

32E85562-8401-4C17-A754-7006FA5CF197.jpeg

74666343-4AE0-43CB-B8DD-2B02E87E4A48.png

8F74D7FB-8387-4FF8-9014-523A43499702.jpeg

172C58E1-CF68-4F26-8DDD-D14A5DF55BB7.jpeg

That looks fantastic.  I need to send my envoy @Patricio Swayze down there for an expeditionary look see.  

I haven’t been to Mission since a certain unfortunate incident in the late 90s.   Not sure they are willing to have me back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Before the John Mueller / Franklin bbq revolution, there was Lockhart and CIty Market in Luling. 

I hadn’t stopped at city market in some time. It hasn’t changed a bit. Bbq was above avg and good. $23 

brisket - more dry than moist, extremely tender

ribs were above avg, great flavor

sausage was as good as ever 

E075C012-8F30-4494-B4A4-21A9C08A1584.jpeg

3718D47D-0AA3-402A-9AD1-35BC7D9C1775.jpeg

44E82E9A-3AC3-431A-979E-4ABA9A5F0112.jpeg

I'd skip the brisket next time. Haven't been there in a very long time. The ambiance is great in those pics. 

I had Bodacious on Mobberly earlier this week driving through Longview to see my parents. Wouldn’t have chosen it but some Longview friends of ours suggested that’s where we meet. I knew their pitmaster left, but still thought maybe they’d learned a thing or two there… holy shit was I wrong. Even by bodacious standards, it was bad. They didn’t know how to slice a brisket point, so I just told him to chop it up and put it on a sandwich. Sausage was ok, but mostly mushy. It was just a flavorless meal for the most part. You can officially skip that stop if you’re in Longview.

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I had Bodacious on Mobberly earlier this week driving through Longview to see my parents. Wouldn’t have chosen it but some Longview friends of ours suggested that’s where we meet. I knew their pitmaster left, but still thought maybe they’d learned a thing or two there… holy shit was I wrong. Even by bodacious standards, it was bad. They didn’t know how to slice a brisket point, so I just told him to chop it up and put it on a sandwich. Sausage was ok, but mostly mushy. It was just a flavorless meal for the most part. You can officially skip that stop if you’re in Longview.

Nepotism rarely works out in the BBQ world. 

9 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Heading into San Antonio on I-10 west. Any recommendations for beef ribs.

If this is for today, you're probably out of luck.  Most good barbecue places are closed on Monday and many do not open until Wednesday or Thursday.  

If this is for an upcoming trip, where are you coming from and what day of the week?

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

If this is for today, you're probably out of luck.  Most good barbecue places are closed on Monday and many do not open until Wednesday or Thursday.  

If this is for an upcoming trip, where are you coming from and what day of the week?

Thanks @Jerry Callo. Passing thru today. 

Looks like I'll have to settle for blackened prime rib at Boudro's.

Edited by Sabalo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I haven't been in a long while, but I heard from a friend that Miller's in Belton got rid of all their wood smokers and replaced them with electric bullshit. I need to go take a look and confirm for sure, but the source is pretty legit. Their tourist trap bullshit started turning me off long ago, and their stupid layout and ordering/sitting nonsense lottery system. Fuck them in the goatass. It's a shame they ruined a once-great little spot in the old building that once had the best ribs of all time, before threw them away when moving to the new touristy place. The guy that was doing most off the cooking at the old place got kicked to the curb when they moved, and it seem like the talent and bbq authenticity mostly went with him.

Meanwhile, Schoepf's has actually upped their brisket game substantially. I still don't go there often because the prices are sky high for a not top-50 caliber place. But they deserve another look for folks who haven't been there in a couple of years and wrote them off.

Got some Q brought it from Bare Bones in Gatesville recently. Brisket was dry as fuck. Definitely smokey, but not in a great way, a bit harsh. Shitty super-sweet sauce. Sausage had decent flavor, but overcooked.

Agree on the fuck Miller’s, they got way fucking big headed and their food went to shit. Didn’t he fuck over the meat market guy that was across the street?

Schoepf’s changed from mesquite to oak which made a huge difference in their brisket. 

Grabbed Interstellar BBQ for lunch yesterday - moist brisket, pork belly burnt ends, and coleslaw.  Great as always.  Brought home 1/2 pound of moist brisket, 1/2 pound of pulled lamb shoulder, 2 jalapeno popper sausage links, smoked mac & cheese, and smoked scalloped potatoes for dinner tonight or tomorrow.  Not much of a line yesterday at 11:15, probably because the weather was crappy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, DougO said:

I haven't been in a long while, but I heard from a friend that Miller's in Belton got rid of all their wood smokers and replaced them with electric bullshit. I need to go take a look and confirm for sure, but the source is pretty legit. Their tourist trap bullshit started turning me off long ago, and their stupid layout and ordering/sitting nonsense lottery system. Fuck them in the goatass. It's a shame they ruined a once-great little spot in the old building that once had the best ribs of all time, before threw them away when moving to the new touristy place. The guy that was doing most off the cooking at the old place got kicked to the curb when they moved, and it seem like the talent and bbq authenticity mostly went with him.

Meanwhile, Schoepf's has actually upped their brisket game substantially. I still don't go there often because the prices are sky high for a not top-50 caliber place. But they deserve another look for folks who haven't been there in a couple of years and wrote them off.

Got some Q brought it from Bare Bones in Gatesville recently. Brisket was dry as fuck. Definitely smokey, but not in a great way, a bit harsh. Shitty super-sweet sauce. Sausage had decent flavor, but overcooked.

When I was at Millers (been this summer sometime) they were switching over to the M&M pits which are basically oylers.  So it's still wood with an electric assist.  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, RMac5 said:

Agree on the fuck Miller’s, they got way fucking big headed and their food went to shit. Didn’t he fuck over the meat market guy that was across the street?

Schoepf’s changed from mesquite to oak which made a huge difference in their brisket. 

And they stopped that stupidass yankee bullshit of cutting off the bark and slicing up the brisket from a brick shape before you could even tell them to stop. It has more legit smoke flavor now for sure. I was thinking before they were wrapping a lot longer. 

The ownership still seems pretty arrogant, but at least they realized Miller's was kicking their ass because their brisket wasn't good, and made some changes. And it's a much better atmosphere than Miller's.