Texas BBQ

Washpark

Tried a new Georgetown place yesterday for lunch - Jimmy Vega's Smokehouse and Delicatessen.  They have a plate with all of their meats and two sides.  Brisket, sausage, baby back ribs, turkey, pulled pork, smoked bacon.  Brisket was dry and didn't have much bark, although I think that is by design.  Ribs were dry rubbed with a decent flavor, but they too were dry.  Turkey was moist and as flavorful as turkey can get.  Pulled pork was good.  Smoked bacon was interesting - smoked whole ad sliced like brisket.  Was moist and flavorful.  Sausage was really good - medium grind, traditional central Texas ring.  They do burgers and other sandwiches.  I saw someone with a chopped beef sandwich that was huge.  Burgers looked really good as well.  If I go back, I'll probably get a burger.  Won't go back for meat by the pound.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:15 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Sunbird (Longview) finally has their storefront. Bryan posted tonight they have a secured location (photo of building with name on the marquee) and with an opening date TBA. 

https://www.news-journal.com/news/business/business_beat/business-beat-sunbird-barbecue-plans-dine-in-restaurant/article_67139da8-938f-11ed-8782-73f646d088af.html 

• Hook 'Em 2

For some reason, I decided to head to Pinkerton’s for a sandwich the other day. I hadn’t been in quite a long time after two bad experiences and one so-so. For me, a massive drop off from where they were shortly after opening in Houston 5-6 years ago. Anyways, the sandwich was ok. Not worth the wait though (line was painful and I was deceived by how short it was).  I don’t see myself going back unless someone else is buying. Just no reason, except Longhorn bias, for me to pass up Truth or Tejas for Pinkerton’s. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a5642d05cdee9befdf21ac3fdfa56ab.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:02 PM, Jerry Callo said:

How was it?   I'm adding that to the list.  I'm always tempted by Roegel's pastrami Thursday, but I ain't driving to Houston.

It was good. 

sausage - all beef was great

pastrami - very good

brisket - good

ribs - good if a bit underdone, but I don't like mine falling off the bone

Nice set up inside, but they were playing the music really fucking loud. Acoustics not as bad when you're sitting though. Pickled stuff and bread was really good, shells and cheese was shells and cheese. Special was latkes that I'm pretty sure were fried in beef tallow. Slammed and went hard. Good tap list, and the desserts looked good. Got there a few minutes after they opened and walked right up to order, and then there was a steady line until we left.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Going to be flying into Austin in a month or two and need to be in New Braunfels. Anything good in/near/on the way to NB? 

Depends on what you consider in the way. L&L isn’t far off your route, but Valentina’s is a good spot on the way to NB. After that is Hays County. I haven’t been in a few years so not sure if there is any drop off.
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Going to be flying into Austin in a month or two and need to be in New Braunfels. Anything good in/near/on the way to NB? 

If you're heading straight from the airport to New Braunfels, you could just take 130 to Lockhart and check out one of their legendary joints.  Last I heard, Kreuz and Smitty's were still on the downslope, although Smitty's ambience is a classic.  I had Black's a couple of years ago and it was quite good.  There's also Chisholm Trail, but I've never been -- someone else needs to fill us in on that.  There's also a Black's in San Marcos (on I-35), I've been once, it was acceptably "eh".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you're heading straight from the airport to New Braunfels, you could just take 130 to Lockhart and check out one of their legendary joints.  Last I heard, Kreuz and Smitty's were still on the downslope, although Smitty's ambience is a classic.  I had Black's a couple of years ago and it was quite good.  There's also Chisholm Trail, but I've never been -- someone else needs to fill us in on that.  There's also a Black's in San Marcos (on I-35), I've been once, it was acceptably "eh".

Had Blacks in 2019 in Lockhart (and then went to Shiner, that was a good day) and it slammed. Last time I was back in central Texas was then - f'n covid and then life getting in the way. 

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Depends on what you consider in the way. L&L isn’t far off your route, but Valentina’s is a good spot on the way to NB. After that is Hays County. I haven’t been in a few years so not sure if there is any drop off.

Good call - we might be in on a Tuesday though so bummer they're closed (not unusual of course). Could hit on the drive back up to DFW though for sure. Thanks! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went to Hays about a year ago.  It was very good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not a bad idea.  I'm with you on Smitty's - such a great place, except for the food (sausage and pork chops are the notable exceptions).  Original Black's run by Kent Black is mediocre at best IMHO.  Terry Black recently opened a spot in Lockhart and, if its anything like his Austin restaurant, it's the best place in Lockhart food wise.

44 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I ate at Hays County last month and it was alright.  I will eat at Hay County again, so not terrible.  L&L and Valentina's are much better than Hays County, though.  Moreno's is up the road from Valentina's and it's pretty good as well.

35 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Good call - we might be in on a Tuesday though so bummer they're closed (not unusual of course). Could hit on the drive back up to DFW though for sure. Thanks! 

I'd hit one on the way down and one on the way back.  I have quite an affinity for barbecue, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

not open yet, but Barbs BQ is opening on the square in Lockhart in March last I heard. I don't know the others involved, but Chuck is legit. She last was at Goldees but has worked at a ton of places. She's legit and awesome

https://www.instagram.com/barbs.b.q/

from a popup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CipzIgHANNa/?hl=en

was in Garden & Gun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cner-OYOSLp/?hl=en

Article on them:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/01/19/barbs-b-q-opening-in-lockhart.html

article:

Spoiler

Barbecue is notoriously known for being a male-dominated industry — but 24-year-old Chuck Charnichart is switching it up, bringing her woman-operated restaurant to the Barbecue Capital of Texas.

Charnichart, alongside Alexis Tovias, Haley Conlin and investor Joanne Irizarry, is set to open Barbs B Q LLC in Lockhart between late February and early March. The 1,350-square-foot restaurant is located at 102 East Market St. and is leased out for multiple years. Charnichart expects to outgrow the location, which can seat about 50, by the time the lease ends.

The journey here was turbulent, as the women endured racism, sexism and harassment, according to Charnichart. She did not allow the negative parts of the industry to deter her — instead, Charnichart plans to pave the way toward a more accepting work environment.

Charnichart’s history with barbecue began when she moved to Austin for college, searching for jobs to pay the bills. At the time, she expected to work in a corporate setting as an AI designer. She started off as a line director at Franklin Barbecue and found a community she did not know she needed. Charnichart worked in barbecue in Oslo, Egypt, Zavala’s in Grand Prairie and award-winning Goldee’s in Fort Worth — going on to organize her own barbecue pop ups.

She met Tovias and Conlin working in the same restaurant and a friendship developed from there.

The dream of opening a restaurant started on a whim when Conlin visited Charnichart in Norway.

“We were finding ourselves instead of traveling to cool places, googling 'What are the barbecue spots in Norway, Sweden and Finland to check out?'” Charnichart said. “In a coffee shop and we were just like, ‘Why are we doing this? We're in frickin' Finland and we're trying to find barbecue restaurants.’ Then we're just like, 'We should open our own spot, it just makes sense.'”

Call it kismet; Irizarry joined as an investor after she purchased a smoker for a barbecue food truck in Austin, but the owner bailed, according to Charnichart. Irizarry, who has invested in food trucks before and once owned a barbecue joint, was left with a $20,000 smoker. She put out word among the barbecue community, hoping to find a woman pit master, and was redirected to Charnichart. 

Why Lockhart, which is already brimming with BBQ?

Lockhart is home to Black’s BBQ, which recently celebrated its 90th anniversary; Kreuz Market, which opened in 1900; and other barbecue staples that have racked up decades of experience.

In 2020, taking her mission of opening a woman-operated barbecue joint seriously and searching in Lockhart, Charnichart found herself charmed by the south Austin's suburb's small-town feel and familiarity among its residents. 

It took two years to find the spot for Barbs B Q, located inside of an old bank overlooking the Caldwell County Courthouse. The building resembles older European buildings with its stonework, red linings and clock tower.

The historic Caldwell County Courthouse on the town square.

Arnold Wells/Staff

“I got a lot of that, no more barbecue spots in Lockhart, like in terms of trying to find a building and the owners of the building not wanting another barbecue spot, because they're friends with someone who owns one or things like that,” Charnichart said. “So, it was very difficult to actually find a building.”

Still, Charnichart is friends with the owners of Terry Black’s Barbecue, which recently opened a location in Lockhart. The owners told her Barbs B Q is a unique business and will perform amazingly because people are looking for something new, Charnichart said. The locals Charnichart knows are ready for the barbecue joint to open and tell her that the people won’t know what hit them. She expects many of the restaurant visitors to come from outside of the city, something she has already experienced while doing pop ups at Goldee's on the outskirts of Fort Worth. 

Barbs B Q will offer a menu with the typical barbecue offerings, but it will also include a lamb chop special. Additionally, the women are putting focus on the sides, including a South Texas special called green spaghetti. Charnichart has experience with this dish as she’s from South Texas, but she also grew up in a Mexican household and so did her other business partner, Tovias. The two have a “tongue” for good flavors and mixes, she said. Conlin will bring recipes from her grandmother, who is from North Dakota.

The women also recently got into making desserts, including a pineapple upside down cobbler, hot chocolate pudding with a Biscoff crumble and concha bread pudding. 

Charnichart said she set eyes on Lockhart due to the large amount of women-owned small businesses on the town square.

During the first month of business, Barbs B Q will open on Saturdays only until the team of three owners can secure more help. They plan to open on weekends after that as they slowly fine tune operations. They hope to employ four or five others soon.

https://austin.eater.com/2023/1/13/23553569/barbs-b-q-barbecue-lockhart-texas-restaurant-opening

from Jose Ralat (TM Taco Editor) on some of his favorite bites this year:

Espaghetti Verde

Barbs-B-Q, Lockhart

This might be the single best dish I ate all year, and it just so happened to be at the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest World’s Fair. Espaghetti verde (green spaghetti) is a homestyle dish that pitmaster-owner Chuck Charnichart enjoyed growing up in Brownsville. It’s served at holidays, birthdays, baptisms, and similar occasions. For her version, Charnichart uses fire-roasted poblanos, sour cream, milk, raw jalapeños, cilantro, and chicken bouillon for extra flavor. She blends the ingredients into a sauce and adds it to a buttered pan, twirling in the pasta until every noodle is covered in the mixture. When her Barbs-B-Q finally opens in Lockhart, it will be a regular menu item. Until then, it’s only available at pop-ups, including at Goldee’s Barbecue, where Charnichart currently works.

not involved with them in any way, but excited for them to open.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Black's in NB is much better than the Black's in SM.  I'm no longer a fan of Hays County BBQ in SM - last three visits have been very meh.

21 hours ago, NoName said:

not open yet, but Barbs BQ is opening on the square in Lockhart in March last I heard. I don't know the others involved, but Chuck is legit. She last was at Goldees but has worked at a ton of places. She's legit and awesome

https://www.instagram.com/barbs.b.q/

from a popup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CipzIgHANNa/?hl=en

was in Garden & Gun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cner-OYOSLp/?hl=en

Article on them:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/01/19/barbs-b-q-opening-in-lockhart.html

article:

Reveal hidden contents

Barbecue is notoriously known for being a male-dominated industry — but 24-year-old Chuck Charnichart is switching it up, bringing her woman-operated restaurant to the Barbecue Capital of Texas.

Charnichart, alongside Alexis Tovias, Haley Conlin and investor Joanne Irizarry, is set to open Barbs B Q LLC in Lockhart between late February and early March. The 1,350-square-foot restaurant is located at 102 East Market St. and is leased out for multiple years. Charnichart expects to outgrow the location, which can seat about 50, by the time the lease ends.

The journey here was turbulent, as the women endured racism, sexism and harassment, according to Charnichart. She did not allow the negative parts of the industry to deter her — instead, Charnichart plans to pave the way toward a more accepting work environment.

Charnichart’s history with barbecue began when she moved to Austin for college, searching for jobs to pay the bills. At the time, she expected to work in a corporate setting as an AI designer. She started off as a line director at Franklin Barbecue and found a community she did not know she needed. Charnichart worked in barbecue in Oslo, Egypt, Zavala’s in Grand Prairie and award-winning Goldee’s in Fort Worth — going on to organize her own barbecue pop ups.

She met Tovias and Conlin working in the same restaurant and a friendship developed from there.

The dream of opening a restaurant started on a whim when Conlin visited Charnichart in Norway.

“We were finding ourselves instead of traveling to cool places, googling 'What are the barbecue spots in Norway, Sweden and Finland to check out?'” Charnichart said. “In a coffee shop and we were just like, ‘Why are we doing this? We're in frickin' Finland and we're trying to find barbecue restaurants.’ Then we're just like, 'We should open our own spot, it just makes sense.'”

Call it kismet; Irizarry joined as an investor after she purchased a smoker for a barbecue food truck in Austin, but the owner bailed, according to Charnichart. Irizarry, who has invested in food trucks before and once owned a barbecue joint, was left with a $20,000 smoker. She put out word among the barbecue community, hoping to find a woman pit master, and was redirected to Charnichart. 

Why Lockhart, which is already brimming with BBQ?

Lockhart is home to Black’s BBQ, which recently celebrated its 90th anniversary; Kreuz Market, which opened in 1900; and other barbecue staples that have racked up decades of experience.

In 2020, taking her mission of opening a woman-operated barbecue joint seriously and searching in Lockhart, Charnichart found herself charmed by the south Austin's suburb's small-town feel and familiarity among its residents. 

It took two years to find the spot for Barbs B Q, located inside of an old bank overlooking the Caldwell County Courthouse. The building resembles older European buildings with its stonework, red linings and clock tower.

The historic Caldwell County Courthouse on the town square.

Arnold Wells/Staff

“I got a lot of that, no more barbecue spots in Lockhart, like in terms of trying to find a building and the owners of the building not wanting another barbecue spot, because they're friends with someone who owns one or things like that,” Charnichart said. “So, it was very difficult to actually find a building.”

Still, Charnichart is friends with the owners of Terry Black’s Barbecue, which recently opened a location in Lockhart. The owners told her Barbs B Q is a unique business and will perform amazingly because people are looking for something new, Charnichart said. The locals Charnichart knows are ready for the barbecue joint to open and tell her that the people won’t know what hit them. She expects many of the restaurant visitors to come from outside of the city, something she has already experienced while doing pop ups at Goldee's on the outskirts of Fort Worth. 

Barbs B Q will offer a menu with the typical barbecue offerings, but it will also include a lamb chop special. Additionally, the women are putting focus on the sides, including a South Texas special called green spaghetti. Charnichart has experience with this dish as she’s from South Texas, but she also grew up in a Mexican household and so did her other business partner, Tovias. The two have a “tongue” for good flavors and mixes, she said. Conlin will bring recipes from her grandmother, who is from North Dakota.

The women also recently got into making desserts, including a pineapple upside down cobbler, hot chocolate pudding with a Biscoff crumble and concha bread pudding. 

Charnichart said she set eyes on Lockhart due to the large amount of women-owned small businesses on the town square.

During the first month of business, Barbs B Q will open on Saturdays only until the team of three owners can secure more help. They plan to open on weekends after that as they slowly fine tune operations. They hope to employ four or five others soon.

https://austin.eater.com/2023/1/13/23553569/barbs-b-q-barbecue-lockhart-texas-restaurant-opening

from Jose Ralat (TM Taco Editor) on some of his favorite bites this year:

not involved with them in any way, but excited for them to open.

Chuck's place is definitely a must see.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:31 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Big Berthas BBQ was better than I thought it would be. Shit area of town, but if im over that way, I would bang again

my sister lives out that way and i'm planning on trying them and brisket & rice about a block further west

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I love 2M. Mostly for their sausage and nopalitos. But sometimes their brisket is too fatty. Burnt Bean and Reese Bros are now my greater SA go to spots.

Deadshank didn’t even offer to bring back some big red tres leches for me. What an asshole ;)

I did get you some ribs.

And my butthole is spectacular.  

Today we tried Mum Foods Smokehouse and Delicatessen on @HenryJames's recommendation.  Daniel Vaughn's recommendation after.

cbde59fd5acc9dbc6fbfc922280c03d6.jpg

Moist brisket, pastrami, jalapeno & cheddar sausage link, pork ribs, collard greens, and coleslaw.

Overall very good.  Brisket and pastrami were excellent and it'll be the pastrami that get me back.  Sausage was really good, but next time I'll try the regular beef as opposed to the jalapeno cheddar (too much cheese).  Pork ribs were flavorful, yet over cooked.  The membrane was the only think keeping the meat on the bone.  Collards and coleslaw were good as well.

For me, they rely on sweetness too much.  Ribs were really sweet, pickles were sweet, coleslaw was sweet, and the collards had a sweet element.  I much prefer savory sides - slaw with vinegar and/or mustard, vinegary pickles, and collards without added sweetness.  In my opinion, more acidic sides pair better with fatty barbecue.  The flavors weren't bad, just not my style.

We also had two pieces of buttermilk fried chicken.  I only had a couple bites, but the chicken was great. 

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 4:53 PM, Buzzrock said:

What’s the best in Ft Worth these days? Asking for a friend.

Top three imho:

1.  Goldee's-definitely deserved the #1 ranking in Tx Monthly, but prepare to stand in LONG lines if you arrive after 8am. Brisket beyond compare.

2.  Panthercity Barbecue-now has a building and outstanding in brisket, ribs, sausage.

3.  Hurtado-recently opened on 8th avenue in FW, but have only been to Arlington location on Division. 

Honorable mention:

Heim on White Settlement-better service, parking, and overall quality of product than their Magnolia location.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Top three imho:
1.  Goldee's-definitely deserved the #1 ranking in Tx Monthly, but prepare to stand in LONG lines if you arrive after 8am. Brisket beyond compare.
2.  Panthercity Barbecue-now has a building and outstanding in brisket, ribs, sausage.
3.  Hurtado-recently opened on 8th avenue in FW, but have only been to Arlington location on Division. 
Honorable mention:
Heim on White Settlement-better service, parking, and overall quality of product than their Magnolia location.

Love all four of these. Goldee’s is still weekend only so plan accordingly. I think Panther City’s my overall favorite.

Terry Blacks is coming to 7th st soon.

I also like Zavala’s (Grand Prairie but close)

407 bbq in Argyle if you’re far north. Smoked meatloaf and a killer burger too!

With the rising costs of prime briskets I’ve rediscovered some old favorites of legacy pitmasters doing great things with cheaper grades the way Texas barbecue was built. I really enjoy Railhead and Angelo’s in Ft Worth and David’s in Arlington. They also have ice cold beer in frosty mugs for your enjoyment.

Love Jesus BBQ but there’s no longer bbq. Great old timey TexMex and fried chicken.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lots of good q around here, I have not been to Hurtado FW yet.

1. Goldee's

2. Dayne's

3. Panther City

4. Brix

5. Smoke-a-holics

I don't know if Angelo's has changed anything, but I had some friends recently rave about Angelo's. These are people they stopped going five years ago. 

2 hours ago, dmtx said:

Lots of good q around here, I have not been to Hurtado FW yet.

1. Goldee's

2. Dayne's

3. Panther City

4. Brix

5. Smoke-a-holics

I don't know if Angelo's has changed anything, but I had some friends recently rave about Angelo's. These are people they stopped going five years ago. 

Sliced sandwich a couple weeks ago was tasty as hell. 

As far as Ft. Worth this place gets good reviews; just wouldnt' call it "high end" bbq.  But folks say it's good and Daniel Vaughn has given them some pub. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/smoke-a-holics-bbq-fort-worth

Smoke A Holics started as a pit on a trailer in a parking lot. I would call it a bbq/ soul food joint. I’ve been several times. I like their black pepper sausage and smoked salami best. Their brisket tends to be dry so I lean towards saucy chopped brisket sandwiches, along with their collards. They have a bbq dirty rice special that is very good, and they always have a good cake for dessert.

It’s not a fancy place by any means. If you’re in that part of south Ft worth it’s ok but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. Too many really top notch places nearby.

Another legacy joint that a few years back that D magazine hailed as the best in all DFW is Off the Bone Bbq on old 287 in Forest Hill just north of I20. Excellent brisket and ribs and not too far from Goldee’s if the lines too long or they sell out. Don’t confuse with Off the Bone in Dallas.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

BTW, saw that Helberg in Waco has revised their hours.  They're now open every day for lunch, which is quite the rarity these days in the BBQ world.  So if you're swinging through Waco on a Mon or Tues, there ya go.  

they are fantastic - just keep in mind they are almost 15 min off of I-35 in Woodway off of Highway 6

26 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

True, just letting folks know that they are open.  ANd they are fantastic.  

for sure. if you are in Waco and wanting BBQ this is THE place to go. even if you are driving through, it is worth the drive there. they are putting out very, very good BBQ.

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

for sure. if you are in Waco and wanting BBQ this is THE place to go. even if you are driving through, it is worth the drive there. they are putting out very, very good BBQ.

The last few times I drove from DFW to Austin, google & Waze pushed me off I-35 north of Waco and onto some sort of west loop.  Not a highway per se, but a divided boulevard that let me avoid the typical clusterfuck around Baylor and the stadium.  How much farther west would this joint be?  We are ALWAYS jonesing for BBQ on that drive back home.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The last few times I drove from DFW to Austin, google & Waze pushed me off I-35 north of Waco and onto some sort of west loop.  Not a highway per se, but a divided boulevard that let me avoid the typical clusterfuck around Baylor and the stadium.  How much farther west would this joint be?  We are ALWAYS jonesing for BBQ on that drive back home.

poking around google maps, i am assuming it threw you off over on like highway 84?

highway 84 to Helberg is like <10 min?