Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Well I plan on bringing a chair to sit in…

It will be a once in a lifetime trip to Snows. For my birthday.

I am renting out Burnt Bean and Franklins on back to back nights next week.

Baby Hat GIF

Renting out Franklin is an underrated move.  I’m sure the price has gone up since I did it, but at the time $100/head was comparable, if not cheaper, than other nice venues for large groups in Austin  with booze included.  Surly should honestly do it once a week for the Austin locals, or on game day weekends.  I’m sure we have enough people on here that could meet the 50 person minimum.  What does it cost these days?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Well I plan on bringing a chair to sit in…

It will be a once in a lifetime trip to Snows. For my birthday.

I am renting out Burnt Bean and Franklins on back to back nights next week.

I'll be at Snow's this weekend too. A group of guys and I are coming down from Dallas on Friday night and sleeping on a bus/RV. We will probably set up a tent at the front of the line -- if Kerry lets us. He agreed on the bus. We'll have a quarter keg of Peticolas Golden Opportunity.

So I've always heard they start serving at 8 but based on a response above sounds like they will start earlier than that sometimes. I was there last June -- granted it was Father's Day -- and my parents, my son and I got there right around 8 and we waited 3.5 hours before ordering. I'd never seen the line that long in my previous two trips.

• Hook 'Em 1

200.gif

Renting out Franklin is an underrated move.  I’m sure the price has gone up since I did it, but at the time $100/head was comparable, if not cheaper, than other nice venues for large groups in Austin  with booze included.  Surly should honestly do it once a week for the Austin locals, or on game day weekends.  I’m sure we have enough people on here that could meet the 50 person minimum.  What does it cost these days?

$150 per head

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

$150 per head

Would still do it.  We did it for a rehearsal dinner and the family on my wife’s side, many of whom run restaurants between Atlanta and Charleston,  couldn’t have been happier. We dropped the same for country club surf and turf the next night.  Most of the guests would’ve preferred we just did Franklin again.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

First time ive had a non-trinity order at a bbq joint in over a decade. Had the Gut Pak at Viteks last night… it was wayyyy better than I thought it would be. Along the lines of the “worlds greatest frito pie” type stuff.

would smash again

Vitek's is a non-trinity joint disguised as a BBQ place.  The old man had better BBQ back in the day, but his daughter commercialized the place into Gut Pak City basically.  It serves its purpose.  I only meet people there for the story, not for the 'cue.   

Would still do it.  We did it for a rehearsal dinner and the family on my wife’s side, many of whom run restaurants between Atlanta and Charleston,  couldn’t have been happier. We dropped the same for country club surf and turf the next night.  Most of the guests would’ve preferred we just did Franklin again.

Yes, we would have.

Just saw a FB post from Brett's Backyard that they are shutting down. 

To our BBQ Family:
We have made the decision to end our time at The Backyard.
It has been a difficult decision to make, as we have made so many great memories and even more friendships over the years at The Backyard!
With growth, comes obstacles, and right now we need time to figure out our next move. We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.
We will definitely still being doing some pop-ups and BBQ Festivals in the near future so we can stay in touch with y’all.
It’s not goodbye, it’s we hope to see ya soon!
Thank You for all the support over the years!
BBQ Brett!

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just saw a FB post from Brett's Backyard that they are shutting down. 

Never been but I’m sure it is good. Just shows how hard it is to make a great product every day and still have owners not burn out. Makes me appreciate Hutchins even more. A hard business to have long term success 

2 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

I wonder what happened at Brett's?  Place always seemed busy.  I know he was elected mayor of Rockdale about a year ago, wonder if other opportunities popped up or what.   I like his place cause it was unique. 

This is just a guess, but I suspect it has something to do with the location.  Either they leased the spot and landlord was going way up on rent or they owned the spot and got offered good money to sell. 

It doesn't take much with tight barbecue margins to decide its not worth doing.  It has to be tough to make a decent living selling barbecue in a small community like Rockdale.

I always question any change a successful pitmaster does from adding dinner service to a adding a menu item. Adding a location is a geometrical increase in issues. Looks like Brandon hit a wall. I can’t imagine Ft Worth can be doing a profitable business. That’s a shit location that just drove Derek Allen out of the bbq biz.

cb3f11a1c2f868dd30b390de1e55f40d.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

I wonder what happened at Brett's?  Place always seemed busy.  I know he was elected mayor of Rockdale about a year ago, wonder if other opportunities popped up or what.   I like his place cause it was unique. 

Small town shenanigans is what I hear after doing some asking around. Business is there for 3-4 years then gets elected mayor....makes some people in Rockdale mad with wanting to change the town for the better and all of a sudden these issues pop up. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Well after asking for suggestions last week we ended up at LM.  Had been about five years since I was there.  They had added a patio since last i was there but nobody was using it.  I went with two friends they had never had a beef ribs so I ordered that, two sausages and a tea $74.

Buddies ordered brisket, sausage and ribs.  Their ribs are $26 a lb which is insane to me.   They ordered three ribs and it was $22.  $199 sampler is available. At the end of the day it's Louie Muellers and it's worth the money if you only get there every few years for the ambiance of the joint.   

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Not Texas, but Oklahoma. Place called Edgecraft. All of the guys who work here are from Texas, and that’s how the advertise it. It’s by far the best bbq in OKC. Last time I tried here I got the moist brisket and it had a bit too much fat so I tried the lean today and it is amazing. 

2DAC13ED-8BB4-4C8E-92D9-B40DD0762355.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Made the drive out to Longview to check on Sunbird this weekend. They are set up just outside the Hyundai dealer there.  It's a to go place only right now as they don't have any tables, etc.  People didn't seem to mind though as business was brisk.  They have a lease on a building and are hoping to be in soon.   I had some chicken spaghetti, some al pastor pork belly burnt ends and a brisket melt.  The brisket melt is basically a chopped beef will grilled onions and jalapenos chopped into it and it was dynamite. Everything was good.  

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

So in April I’ll hit up Valentines. Then have to drive from Killeen to ET. What’s a good stop on the way - anything in Waco or Temple?

Helberg is great in Waco (ish) but it's going to be a good bit out of your way. very, very, very good.

depending on where in ETX go to Sunbird BBQ in Longview or Riverport in Jefferson

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, DallasSooner said:

Made the drive out to Longview to check on Sunbird this weekend. They are set up just outside the Hyundai dealer there.  It's a to go place only right now as they don't have any tables, etc.  People didn't seem to mind though as business was brisk.  They have a lease on a building and are hoping to be in soon.   I had some chicken spaghetti, some al pastor pork belly burnt ends and a brisket melt.  The brisket melt is basically a chopped beef will grilled onions and jalapenos chopped into it and it was dynamite. Everything was good.  

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

I'm kicking myself for not making it over yet.  The brick and mortar location is about a block from my wife's office though.  So I'm guessing my luck will change soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1