Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

415 North High Street

oh yeah it's where that cheese place and case's catering/kitchen used to be right? nice spot for lunch for city people downtown + hospital + close enough to north longview to pull in some business from there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NoName said:

Helberg is great in Waco (ish) but it's going to be a good bit out of your way. very, very, very good.

depending on where in ETX go to Sunbird BBQ in Longview or Riverport in Jefferson

Oh ya I’ll definitely hit Sunbird. Bryan is a friend. And a hell of a pitmaster.  They’re also getting very close to opening the storefront. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Oh ya I’ll definitely hit Sunbird. Bryan is a friend. And a hell of a pitmaster.  They’re also getting very close to opening the storefront. 

he is a good dude for sure. glad to see them prospering.

• Hook 'Em 1

So if you guys go to a bbq restaurant and get a side of beans do you prefer like a pinto bean with onion etc, (I'd call it a cowboy bean) or would you prefer a baked beans? Little BBQ joint by my house only has two sides with their dinners.  Potato salad and some baked beans and dang it's a good combo.  

Now if I'm sitting down for a bunch of beans i want pintos and cornbread 

57 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

So if you guys go to a bbq restaurant and get a side of beans do you prefer like a pinto bean with onion etc, (I'd call it a cowboy bean) or would you prefer a baked beans? Little BBQ joint by my house only has two sides with their dinners.  Potato salad and some baked beans and dang it's a good combo.  

Regular pintos with Texas trinity.  Baked beans with pulled pork.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

I dont EVER want baked beans

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

With brisket I want pinto beans. I want barbecue beans with grilled burgers, pulled pork, ribs and sausage.

I make both equally well. My pintos have bacon and ham, onion, jalapeño, garlic, a chipotle or two, ancho, cumin, and a can of diced rotel.

My barbecue beans start with chopped onions and jalapeños sautéed with chopped bacon. When done I dump in a mountain of brown sugar. When it melts into lava, I put in lots of ketchup, some mustard, ancho, garlic, and worchestershire. Dump in drained van camps pork and beans. Let it simmer a while in the pot to tighten up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My barbecue beans start with chopped onions and jalapeños sautéed with chopped bacon. When done I dump in a mountain of brown sugar. When it melts into lava, I put in lots of ketchup, some mustard, ancho, garlic, and worchestershire. Dump in drained van camps pork and beans. Let it simmer a while in the pot to tighten up.

angry better call saul GIF

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That's a no for me, dawg.  But your dedication to it is still impressive.

Need help, in Austin for a conference. If I sneak out to Franklin am I doomed to wait in line for hours?

Who actually goes to the conference sessions when at a conference? Go wait in line, get drunk, eat bbq, go to the exhibit hall, get some business cards to prove you were there, bang a booth babe.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

Need help, in Austin for a conference. If I sneak out to Franklin am I doomed to wait in line for hours?

I have no personal experience with this, but it seems like if you're asking this question at 9:30 a.m., the answer is that you won't wait in line for hours because the "last man/woman standing," i.e., the end of the line for sold out purposes, already will have been designated. 

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Who actually goes to the conference sessions when at a conference? Go wait in line, get drunk, eat bbq, go to the exhibit hall, get some business cards to prove you were there, bang a booth babe.

I have a boss who is an elected-type, and who goes and takes notes.  So if he's there, I'm there (on the back row).  A bit of a unique situation for me.  But I do all those other things too. 

Edited by dcbc

I have no personal experience with this, but it seems like if you're asking this question at 9:30 a.m., the answer is that you won't wait in line for hours because the "last man/woman standing," i.e., the end of the line for sold out purposes, already will have been designated. 
This is what I'm asking. Never been. Is it still like it was where you had to wait before opening to expect to get BBQ? And lines taking hours?

If so where else downtown is good and somewhere that I can actually go in and eat good BBQ like a normal restaurant?

21 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

This is what I'm asking. Never been. Is it still like it was where you had to wait before opening to expect to get BBQ? And lines taking hours?

If so where else downtown is good and somewhere that I can actually go in and eat good BBQ like a normal restaurant?

Pretty sure there still is a long line for Franklin.  Plenty of good places.  In no particular order: LaBBQ (we waited about 45 minutes at lunch time on a Friday---got there around 11:30 a.m.), Micklethwait, Stiles Switch, Terry Black's, Leroy & Lewis, Valentina's.  I think any of these would fit the bill.  Some are food trucks.  So if you want to sit inside somewhere, keep that in mind.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

With brisket I want pinto beans. I want barbecue beans with grilled burgers, pulled pork, ribs and sausage.

I make both equally well. My pintos have bacon and ham, onion, jalapeño, garlic, a chipotle or two, ancho, cumin, and a can of diced rotel.

9144C426-8E66-4CFC-A501-4DC720962DC3_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ll be thoroughly impressed if they can hold it together…

Brandon is getting bad advice. I really don’t like the fact he is just now hiring a complete second staff. Lots of overhead, lots of training, and neither location lends itself to nighttime business during the week. Forgive our issues! Sorry at those prices there is no forgiveness.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Brandon is getting bad advice. I really don’t like the fact he is just now hiring a complete second staff. Lots of overhead, lots of training, and neither location lends itself to nighttime business during the week. Forgive our issues! Sorry at those prices there is no forgiveness.

he needs to go talk to Pecan Lodge folks about how this works. it's HARD> wonder if they are bringing over folks from the Little Elm location?

9p is too late though - Pecan Lodge isn't open until late every day of the week (until 8p Tue to Sun, until 3p on Mondays)

I've never been there but the alternative to "being open until sold out" is either having food left over or being open AFTER sold out. Neither one is sustainable in craft  bbq. If you want to be Dickey's maybe...

Put me in the bad idea category. 

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

I've never been there but the alternative to "being open until sold out" is either having food left over or being open AFTER sold out. Neither one is sustainable in craft  bbq. If you want to be Dickey's maybe...

Put me in the bad idea category. 

leftover food is an absolute killer. L&L do everything they can to save and re-use a ton of their food (quick plug for their Patreon which is excellent - https://www.patreon.com/leroyandlewis) and even then i am sure they take a beating on that front.

9pm is just too late, 5 min away from rangers/cowboys is good but 9p every night? come on.

Driving Dallas to San Antonio this week.  Gonna take toll road around Austin; last time I did this I went to Blacks in Lockhart (had never been) and this time I'm considering stoppng at Luling City Market.   Thumbs up on Luling City market?  Gonna try and hit Reese (sp) Brothers in San Antonio on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Only reason to go to Luling City Market is for nostalgia if you used to go there back in the day. It's not 2009 anymore

it hasn’t changed, I’ve been in the last year:

brisket - usually very avg. sometimes it’s good 

ribs - they were good. A post cut, sop / glaze would be great 

sausage - it’s still the among the best sausage in my book 

sides - beans and potato salad, nothing special. buuuut, you can grab a sleeve crackers, and in my book — crackers >>> bread 

and it’s at least half the price of the ‘top’ bbq places around the state 

Edited by tx 3 putt

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it hasn’t changed, I’ve been in the last year:

brisket - usually very avg. sometimes it’s good 

ribs - they were good. A post cut, sop / glaze would be great 

sausage - it’s still the among the best sausage in my book 

sides - beans and potato salad, nothing special. buuuut, you can grab a sleeve crackers, and in my book — crackers >>> bread 

and it’s at least half the price of the ‘top’ bbq places around the state 

Are the prices still that cheap? If they are and you're in the area then it would make sense. I just figured the prices had gotten astronomical like every other BBQ place. Even Rudy's is charging like $26/lbs for brisket now

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Are the prices still that cheap? If they are and you're in the area then it would make sense. I just figured the prices had gotten astronomical like every other BBQ place. Even Rudy's is charging like $26/lbs for brisket now

$18.50 / lb brisket and ribs

$2.77 sausage 

per their website