Texas BBQ

Washpark

I would debate the reasonable Q status.  I'd guess the last time I was there was 8yrs back and the brisket was gray and flavorless, sausage was storebought Ekrich quality.  I get that my standards have risen significantly with Franklin, JMMC, etc showing up and changing the game, but I don't know that 1997 me would have wanted to return after that go around.  My feeling was that they are just pumping out mass quantities now, and it has to be next to impossible to do good Q w/ those numbers.

I get it.  And, I knew that I'd be chided for bringing it up.  I've eaten at Heim, Terry Blacks', Cattleack, Hutchins, etc.., so I know quality.  

I moved to TN (1997) before BBQ became a subculture.  When my wife and I decided to move back, I started reading the food thread OTOS and came across Salt Lick.  Having not experienced anything BBQ related, I saw Salt Lick as the "mecca" that I needed to visit after moving back to Texas.  Hence the bucket list that I mentioned on the previous page.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I get it.  And, I knew that I'd be chided for bringing it up.  I've eaten at Heim, Terry Blacks', Cattleack, Hutchins, etc.., so I know quality.  

I moved to TN (1997) before BBQ became a subculture.  When my wife and I decided to move back, I started reading the food thread OTOS and came across Salt Lick.  Having not experienced anything BBQ related, I saw Salt Lick as the "mecca" that I needed to visit after moving back to Texas.  Hence the bucket list that I mentioned on the previous page.

All good, just keep your expectations in check and you'll have a fun time there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pro tip:

Stop at whataburger on the way there. Let the rest of your party eat the shitty bbq while you have a number 4. Win win.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s garbage.

For my ten year work anniversary, my office gave me the Salt Lick cookbook.  It was a nice thought.  It beats a glass paperweight.  It has a good bread recipe in it and the desserts don't look like they suck.  The meat side of it is kind of funny though.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

For my ten year work anniversary, my office gave me the Salt Lick cookbook.  It was a nice thought.  It has a good bread recipe in it and the desserts don't look like they suck.  The meat side of it is kind of funny.

OK, now let's talk about the pickles and the tortillas.  Maybe the beans?

P.S. I do like the bread there and whatever beer I bring there!

Edited by DalTxHornFan

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:
OK, now let's talk about the pickles and the tortillas.  Maybe the beans?
P.S. I do like the bread there and whatever beer I bring there!

There are recipes for Cantaloupe Pickles, Beet pickles, and Jalapeño Pieces. Nothing on the tortillas. The pinto beans recipe is in there.  Happy to share.

Edited by dcbc

I went to salt lick 3 years go or so for a party, it was pretty damn edible. Probably better than Rudy’s. The ribs were good 
everyone thought it was ‘great’ 

GTFOH….I’d take Rudy’s any day over salt lick. Og salt lick is great for the setting but it goes downhill more every time I go.

I moved to TN (1997) before BBQ became a subculture.  ….. I saw Salt Lick as the "mecca" that I needed to visit after moving back to Texas.  Hence the bucket list that I mentioned on the previous page.

You probably had better TX bbq in TN

Also applies to South Austin's mom.

never gets old….

Oh it’s old with all those miles on it.
  • Haha 1

I would debate the reasonable Q status.  I'd guess the last time I was there was 8yrs back and the brisket was gray and flavorless, sausage was storebought Ekrich quality.  I get that my standards have risen significantly with Franklin, JMMC, etc showing up and changing the game, but I don't know that 1997 me would have wanted to return after that go around.  My feeling was that they are just pumping out mass quantities now, and it has to be next to impossible to do good Q w/ those numbers.

Last time I went in 2009, my dad and I got severe food poisoning. Never giving it another chance.

Hit Reese Bros Barbecue in San Antonio today. Moist brisket, pork ribs, smoked carnitas, queso fundido sausage, green chile mac, herb coleslaw, and strawberry cobbler.

The best tray of barbecue I've had in several months. I love 2M Smokehouse, but Reese Bros is better. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 10 in 2025, if they keep up this level of cooking.

bfed62f6d94c3b849ee0255e3a72c600.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

Hit Reese Bros Barbecue in San Antonio today. Moist brisket, pork ribs, smoked carnitas, queso fundido sausage, green chile mac, herb coleslaw, and strawberry cobbler.

The best tray of barbecue I've had in several months. I love 2M Smokehouse, but Reese Bros is better. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 10 in 2025, if they keep up this level of cooking.

Agreed. I love 2M, but Reese Bros is the best in SA. Glad they are getting some love.
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That's apparently w/o the brisket, which bumps it to $13.25.  Mighty pricey taco, but I still need to check it out.

so you get a potato and egg taco for $10?

On 3/10/2023 at 6:59 PM, Mo Horn said:

Salt Lick also has a family deal for $33 per person, where you get all you can eat of multiple things and you get to take some home. May not be the best BBQ, but that's not a bad deal. 

shit I feel like it was just $24.95 a year or two ago.  but maybe time has flown by quicker than I realize.

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

so you get a potato and egg taco for $10?

Uh, no?  The potato/egg/cheese taco is $2.50 which seems reasonable.

The Real Deal Holyfield is $10 before adding brisket, but includes fried egg, potatoes, refried beans and bacon.  I'm not sure why that's so much pricier, maybe it's bigger?

Edited by jimmyjazz

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

god damn GIF

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Got food poisoning from Mimsys bbq yesterday. Sucks because the owner, Wade Elkins, graduated a year ahead of me at Magnolia High and we played football together for a few years

cest la vie

I was at Mimsy’s on Saturday.  The brisket was gray.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Bill Miller

14 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Terry Black's, but only as long as it's closer than Bill Miller.

First Dickey's, then Bill Miller.  But if both are closed, then Terry Black's if you're Central, or Stiles Switch Cedar Park if you're north.   I can't comment on South, I ain't no bubba.

26 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ok.  I get it now - Salt Lick.  A lot of production for average bbq.  I did like the patio, and imagine it's pretty cool in the evening w/ music.  But, yes, Dicky's-esque w/o the okra.

Yup, that's the deal.

Still, as a 19-year-old undergrad, having a place with some atmosphere, where you could BYOB and nobody gave a damn, it was always a good time.

Of course back then it was out in the middle of nowhere, now it's surrounded pretty much on all sides by Austin exurbs.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ok.  I get it now - Salt Lick.  A lot of production for average bbq.  I did like the patio, and imagine it's pretty cool in the evening w/ music.  But, yes, Dicky's-esque w/o the okra.

It’s a good time with a big group.  Particularly if that big group lives somewhere other than TX. That’s why you go there.  But you are going there more for the experience than the food, and I would imagine that the experience isn’t what it used to be.

• Hook 'Em 2