Texas BBQ

Washpark

KG BBQ. Pork rib, lamb bacon rib, lamb chop, Egyptian baladi salad, and mint chimichurri.

Got it to go, so there are no food pictures. I love a good place to get lamb, and this place was pretty good. More surprising was an Egyptian who made great pork ribs. Some of the best I've had. Perfectly cooked, and the seasoning on the pork ribs was different yet extremely flavorful.

They put out a beautiful product. They are extremely slow, though.

Definitely imo.

941246b5285502bff385d007fb71056e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Likely been talked about, but what's the word on the HEB BBQ? I'm not a "wait 2 hours in line" sort of BBQ guy, so it's piqued my interest as I figure it's easy to grab, but have yet to hear anything about it good or bad.

Likely been talked about, but what's the word on the HEB BBQ? I'm not a "wait 2 hours in line" sort of BBQ guy, so it's piqued my interest as I figure it's easy to grab, but have yet to hear anything about it good or bad.

Correct, been discussed quite a bit. I haven’t eaten at one but it sounds like quality depends on location. Texas Monthly recently said that there has been a drop off in quality.

Had Truth today. I am full and very content.

3839945472eddb85a7aa77530c3fcaca.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Correct, been discussed quite a bit. I haven’t eaten at one but it sounds like quality depends on location. Texas Monthly recently said that there has been a drop off in quality.

Had Truth today. I am full and very content.

3839945472eddb85a7aa77530c3fcaca.jpg

Nice looking appetizer.

• Like 1

Shameless plug for our charity Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off, which is scheduled a week from tomorrow (3/25) at the Cotton Bowl. All proceeds benefit the Ashford Rise School of Dallas. Tootsie is back for the third time as one of our celebrity judges, in addition to Daniel Vaughn, Jack Perkins (Maple & Motor), Jeffrey Hobbs (Slow Bone), Doug Pickering (Douglas) and Marshall Prichard (Sammy's).

We'll have live music throughout the day and headliner Shane Smith & the Saints hit the stage at 4:30. Event ends around 6-ish.

• $25 GA ticket gets you inside the gate where you'll be free to roam around and try samples from many of the teams (teams are not required to hand out samples)
  • $100 ticket adds admittance to a special "Smoke Zone" area where several professional cookers will be handing out samples (I hear @luke duke might be on hand helping another Surly pro cooker), also includes FREE booze ALL DAY LONG!!! (Also gets you into the Shane Smith show.) Note: you will NOT be able to buy alcohol during the event; the only way to be served alcohol is to buy the $100 ticket
  • $175 VIP ticket includes all of the above but permits access to special VIP areas (and bars) for the Shane Smith concert

The event is very kid friendly. 16-under is free.

Come out and see us!

https://tdclubdallas.org/event/big-texas-bbq-2023/

Highlights from last year's event: 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mittens said:

How was the line at Interstellar @Smax?  What time?

It's 30min from me and I really want to go, but need to figure out the total time investment so it's not a Franklin situation.

We got there at 1230 and it took about 45 mins

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone hear of this?

https://www.loop9bbq.com

Just popped up on my Facebook. Located in Grand Prairie

It’s a Larry Lavine (founder of Chili’s) deal. Is Ten50 still open? Larry said Ten50’s brisket was as good as Aaron Franklin’s before they’d even opened their doors. I’ve heard it’s not bad but I’d rather go elsewhere for my ‘cue in DFW. This new place sounds like a hard pass from me.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I like HEB BBQ just fine in a pinch (aka, don't have half a day for a "real" BBQ experience).  Had it at an office meeting a couple of weeks ago - brisket was way better than I had experienced previously from them.  Sausage is definitely meh.  Brisket beans and macaroni are pretty solid sides.  The HEB by my house has a drive thru for True Texas BBQ, so that makes it even more convenient.  Protip: you can purchase the True Texas BBQ sliced spicy pickles in the store - they're like crack.

• Like 1

It’s a Larry Lavine (founder of Chili’s) deal. Is Ten50 still open? Larry said Ten50’s brisket was as good as Aaron Franklin’s before they’d even opened their doors. I’ve heard it’s not bad but I’d rather go elsewhere for my ‘cue in DFW. This new place sounds like a hard pass from me.

Ten50 is still going last I heard but Lavine hasn’t been involved for awhile. Dallas Observer liked it. I will try it as I remember how special Chilis was way back when Larry was starting out. Prices are same as Hurtado and others. It’s worth a visit.

asking here because it seems like the best option, any recs for a recipe for a klobasnek or kolache?

here is a recipe from Czech Stop via Texas Monthly: https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/kolaches/

Ethan Chlebowski did a video with recipes for sweet and savory ones as well but not sure how accurate that is going to be?

https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/kolaches-sweet-amp-savory

19 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hadn’t been to Butter’s since they moved from Matthias to Sinton. Dropped in with my pops. Excellent lunch. Brisket was superb. Barbacoa, sausage and elotes were very very good. Didn’t try the beans but had them before and liked them.

c78f20ce715edc05ad8dff18c43b62f6.jpg

The upper left corner of this tray has me enthralled.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Went to Black Board in Sisterdale yesterday. Garlic sausage was good. Burnt ends, pulled pork, ribs were all oversmoked. Couldnt even finish my plate. Sides were solid, banana pudding was awesome. But holy shit at the smoke…. Havent had oversmoked bbq in years, it feels like

they are under fairly recent new ownership if that matters.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to Black Board in Sisterdale yesterday. Garlic sausage was good. Burnt ends, pulled pork, ribs were all oversmoked. Couldnt even finish my plate. Sides were solid, banana pudding was awesome. But holy shit at the smoke…. Havent had oversmoked bbq in years, it feels like

I’ve been a couple times. They are really good people and just took over maybe six months ago and I think are still working things out. I would agree it can have some heavy smoke at times. The fried quail legs there are absolutely amazing though.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Leroy and Lewis.

i cannot recommend them enough.

• you going to be in Austin at weird times? L&L
  • dinner? L&L
  • with other people who may not like BBQ? L&L / Cosmic
  • want beer? L&L / Cosmic
  • want coffee? L&L / Cosmic
  • want something a little different? L&L / other trucks there
  • need a vegan option? L&L
  • with people who don't love traditional BBQ or a lady friend? L&L (barbacado is excellent)

it's worth the trip. it's worth the time. great people. great food. awesome location.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1