Texas BBQ

Washpark

Ok…so then why bring political statement into it? Maybe she knows that Lockhart BBQ mostly sucks now or is mediocre and wants to bring great bbq back to a hallowed place in Texas bbq history.

It’s probably because every hipster, musician, and the like is moving to Lockhart and Bastrop to be close to Austin but to avoid Austin prices. If that’s your crowd, you’re probably taking a long hard look at those towns.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

i didn't see you making comments about this when Terry Blacks opened there. were they making a political statement too instead of opening in say Georgetown or Kyle or Bastrop  or San Marcos or Dripping Springs?

Terry Black's opening in Lockhart has everything to do with throwing shade on their uncle, Kent Black.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It’s probably because every hipster, musician, and the like is moving to Lockhart and Bastrop to be close to Austin but to avoid Austin prices. If that’s your crowd, you’re probably taking a long hard look at those towns.

Could be. I HIGHLY doubt it is some overt statement. It’s just a weird conclusion to jump to. Is it the best market to open in? I guess we will see.

I’ve Terry Blacks. It was fone but absolutely nothing special.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm looking forward to Chuck opening in Lockhart.  I don't know anything about a political statement.  I also don't have any idea who Barb is or what "All these briskets is my sons" means.  The barbecue will be good or it won't.

Yeah. I can’t wait to try it out. I hate driving to DFW and certainly wasn’t going to wait in line up there in Oklahoma annex.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Surely she has a backer and that backer has property or money in Lockhart otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense.   Who know?  Best of luck to her just seems like a crowded market. 

Hopefully it’s a good one like Truth had and not a dipshit one like J Bar M and run off your amazing pitmaster as well as your manager (his own son).

I celebrate her wanting her own joint and finding a path to open one. I just think she could establish a destination level place in a market so far untapped or vacant of great product and make bank. I’ve eaten her barbecue and it’s righteous which is all I give a shit about.

Answer for the political accusation that you made. Be honest.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Could be. I HIGHLY doubt it is some overt statement. It’s just a weird conclusion to jump to. Is it the best market to open in? I guess we will see.

I’ve Terry Blacks. It was fone but absolutely nothing special.

I haven't had Terry Black's in Lockhart.

Terry Black's in Austin is better than anything in Lockhart-- other than Black's.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I haven't had Terry Black's in Lockhart.

Terry Black's in Austin is better than anything in Lockhart-- other than Black's.

I have only been to the Austin one. Like I said, it’s fine…but nothing spectacular. Certainly not in my top 20. And from all the accolades Chuck has received, sounds like Terry Black ain’t on her level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have only been to the Austin one. Like I said, it’s fine…but nothing spectacular. Certainly not in my top 20. And from all the accolades Chuck has received, sounds like Terry Black ain’t on her level. 

Yup I definitely can't comment on that, I've never had it.

I'd be shocked if cost of living didn't pllay into it to some degree.  Just look at Terry Black's brisket prices in Lockhart ($28/lb) vs Austin ($35/lb).  Rent is less expensive, compensation for employees can likely be lower, it probably takes 5 minutes to get to work instead of 30 minutes,  etc.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked if cost of living didn't pllay into it to some degree.  Just look at Terry Black's brisket prices in Lockhart ($28/lb) vs Austin ($35/lb).  Rent is less expensive, compensation for employees can likely be lower, it probably takes 5 minutes to get to work instead of 30 minutes,  etc.

It’s also a much shorter drive for 3 metros, vs basically serving only DFW.

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Would make sense if Terry Blacks wasn't there. Great modern BBQ has already been established at Lockhart. 

I guess the "political statement" could be shoving LGBT right in the heart of traditional conservative Texas BBQ homeland. That's the only thing I can think of he could have meant, but I don't even know how conservative Lockhart is these days. Maybe she just wants to live in Lockhart for whatever reason. 

Too bad she came a bit late. Texas BBQ is jumping the shark. Prime ribeye prices for a garbage cut of beef that people figured out how to trick up. Great brisket is tasty, but it's not equally well prepared ribeye tasty. Juice just ain't worth the squeeze. How far can this go? $40/ lb? $50?

Everything That Guy Just Said is Bullsh*t - Reaction GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, DallasSooner said:

That looks tremendous. I wish I could get my ribs on point. I don't ever get the meat to pull back from the bones on my ribs for some reason. I know that might not be a big deal but I like that look and it eludes me. 

3-2-1 should get you there easily.  3 hours on the smoke at 225 and the meat will definitely be pulling back off the bone.

• Like 1

Went to Goldee’s today. It's been, I guess about a year. Just a month or so before TX Monthly #1 status. All was great. I prefer the sausage to be more dense. Cole slaw and grits were in to go containers, so not in pic. Ribs and brisket, phenomenal as before.

I arrived at 9:15. Line was probably 50 deep. I was sitting and eating by11:55.

20230331_121217.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Answer for the political accusation that you made. Be honest.

I was simply speculating on why she would choose opening in Lockhart vs a more open market. I’ve eaten her barbecue; it is great, and I hope she becomes the next Aaron Franklin or Tootsie or Melissa Cookston or whoever she wants to be. I wasn’t casting shade on her and don’t give a shit about her friends other than her product.

I read the same articles and posts earlier in the thread. I should have worded my post better. I’ve spent 40+ years in retail studying markets and planning stores. I always speculate on why various stores open where they do, and as I’ve posted all over, I often question the decisions of pitmasters to make changes of any kind or expand. It’s a tough, hard business with thin margins and high costs. It seems that emotion drives these folks as much as any business acumen.

I think we all believe the Terry Black family opened Lockhart as a big fuck you to the other side. The Mesach family is in all kinds of feuding in Dallas. The Hutchins family is in a dispute. It’s like Peyton Place and As the World Turns. Anyway I was simply speculating as to why Chuck is going to Lockhart as none of the article really posited why and it didn’t sound like she had a personal tie there. I should have used “personal reasons” rather than “political”. Was it she wants to climb Everest and succeed in the Mecca of Texas bbq? Was it to bring her great bbq and “provocative” crew straight into the dogmatic barbecue community of Lockhart? Is she looking to drive a girl power stake into the barbecue patriarchy? I don’t know. Don’t really care other than from a business standpoint I’d have chosen a different location. She makes killer brisket and that green spaghetti and I hope dumber knocks it out of the park.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That looks tremendous. I wish I could get my ribs on point. I don't ever get the meat to pull back from the bones on my ribs for some reason. I know that might not be a big deal but I like that look and it eludes me. 

Yeah it could be technique. Could be that you’re a sooner and the creator hates you. I’m a man of science so I’m really trying to consider all of the possibilities.

But do try that 321 method. It works.

9 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

My understanding is: the meat pulls back as it loses moisture and contracts.

So, if it's not doing this, then you're probably not cooking it long enough.

Just my $0.02 from the cheap seats.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Franklin opened up the new? It smells good outside.

37 minutes ago, deft said:

Heard Matt and bob talking about it but I’m not in Austin anymore so couldn’t check it out. Uptown sports lounge or something like that?

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was hoping to hit that spot in Spring that Putt had mentioned, but didn’t have the time today. So I went back to Brisket and Rice. Bold statement incoming:

They are cooking the second best brisket in the Houston area, just behind Truth. Talking 1a and 1b. I give it to Truth because I have eaten there at least 20 times and this is my third visit to B&R, but those 3 times have been excellent. I spoke with the owner/pitmaster, Hong, for a bit. Really nice guy. His wife and bro help him run it. They had no restaurant experience when they opened, but are running a very good, clean and great restaurant. Y’all should definitely should go check them out. I know it pains you inner loop pussies to head to the burbs, but it’s worth it. They had beef ribs today, but I stuck with my usual as I was eating alone. The jalapeño (no cheese) sausage is also excellent.

If they aren’t in Texas Monthly next time, I’ll know TM really is pay-to-play.

95bde58b31cda942610aab4d69ea1007.jpg

I rarely go up there, but that looks damned good. 

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was hoping to hit that spot in Spring that Putt had mentioned, but didn’t have the time today. So I went back to Brisket and Rice. Bold statement incoming:

They are cooking the second best brisket in the Houston area, just behind Truth. Talking 1a and 1b. I give it to Truth because I have eaten there at least 20 times and this is my third visit to B&R, but those 3 times have been excellent. I spoke with the owner/pitmaster, Hong, for a bit. Really nice guy. His wife and bro help him run it. They had no restaurant experience when they opened, but are running a very good, clean and great restaurant. Y’all should definitely should go check them out. I know it pains you inner loop pussies to head to the burbs, but it’s worth it. They had beef ribs today, but I stuck with my usual as I was eating alone. The jalapeño (no cheese) sausage is also excellent.

If they aren’t in Texas Monthly next time, I’ll know TM really is pay-to-play.

95bde58b31cda942610aab4d69ea1007.jpg

vaughn is never in Houston 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:37 AM, DallasSooner said:

Hit Reese Bros a couple weekends ago while in San Antonio.  Food is legit. Ordered a 1/4 of meats just to try as much as possible.  Poblano mac and cheese is great, ribs were fantastic and loved the homeade tortillas.  You get to kinds of sauce, one is traditional and the other is kind of a creamy salsa.  All in all would recommend; place is about two blocks south of the Alamo dome right off the highway. 

Your thoughts matched mine. Loved the ribs and poblano mac and cheese. I also loved the carnitas. I would go again but skip the brisket.

4 hours ago, po elvis said:

I also loved the carnitas.

Carnitas were great.  This is what I was told by one of the owners - cut pork butt into large pieces and brown in skillet or flattop.  Confit in lard.  Remove from lard and smoke.  Don't have any idea of how long in the confit and how long to smoke, but it's worth play around.  I suspect confit until tender but not fall apart.  Smoke until a bit crispy again.  A different order than L&L beef cheeks, but same basic principle.  I love making beef cheeks and barbacoa.

ETA:  don't tell anyone.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Landed last night in Austin.

Breakfast at Valentina’s. The Real Deal Holyfield and a special, El Padrino (refried beans, crispy pan -fried potatoes, fried egg, bacon and mesquite-smoked beef fajita topped with salsa). So goddamn great. 

73-DFC3-CB-238-B-424-B-BF9-A-44-AEA01-A6 

AFB799-CF-5-ECE-45-A6-B434-C709-D87-A7-D 

Dinner at Stiles Switch in Cedar Park. Wanted to hit up  Interstellar but it was after they closed. 

It was solid, not great. Brisket had a pepper taste - ribs were kinda dry. 

4456-D158-2-B2-F-4353-A9-A6-ADF2-D0-C88- 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2