Texas BBQ

Washpark

Costco sells a prime two pack. It’s the whole sirloin cap and is labeled as such.

After the kids were potty trained, we dropped Costco. I absolutely can not deal with the crowds there. Especially the idiots that stop in the middle of the aisle.

Plus this is a local family run butcher shop. Would love to support them.

Although I am curious if my ghetto ass HEB has it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 4/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, sorry Austin/inner city snobs, but that hasn’t been “deep south Austin” for years.

Is Hyde Park "far north Austin" because both are equidistant from Town Lake. 

I'm stoked about the L&L location. 2 miles from my house and I won't have to deal with the Cosmic cluster fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:11 AM, po elvis said:

I would go again but skip the brisket.

This has become what I do regularly. Stopped at Helberg west of Waco and got a single slice of brisket just to try it but got the pork steak and a side plus drink special and it was the best thing I got. That pork steak was great. The brisket was solid and the ribs were really good. Weren't too soft like some places, had a little bite to them. I'll head back when heading south again to get that pork steak. 

Screenshot_20230412-112448.png

PXL_20230401_183327570.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Probably going tomorrow or Friday.

Remember they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Dead shank tried to stop by without checking. FAFO.

Thanks for the heads-up. Was looking at my calendar and was thinking Monday might be a good day. 

Stiles switch never disappoints, especially when you get to the cashier and she covers the credit card with her hand and says,'Thank you, have a nice day.'

I have no idea why it was free, and I didn't ask.

Everything was great, especially the ribs and their brussels are like crack.4e5544bb004773fdc393c531df378ae2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Brisket and Rice again. 4th time and again, amazing lunch. I talked to Hong about Daniel stopping by as we had previously talked about the hope of him noticing them. He let me know the article came out yesterday:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brisket-and-rice/

Really happy for them. It was pretty busy when I was there at 11-11:30, but no real line. Three slices of delicious brisket and they threw in several burnt ends. So goddamn good. I told him I told a bunch of assholes online to visit. He laughed. Y’all need to come through.

c2660d16bc68d964e36fde6d072df9e8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

Hurtado is open 11-9 7 days a week which concerns me as much as them expanding to a shit location in Ft Worth.

I saw they also have a spot out at Globe Life Field. I’m sure it won’t be good as when they were at their original location and all but you damn sure know I’m gonna try their brisket elotes the next time I go to a Rangers game.

969cf91e1fed15ec32f1b0f46ca1ab04.jpg
  • Like 1

I don’t see y’all northerners talk much about Zavala anymore. Still good?

Zavala’s continues to up their game. A fine joint that is focused on his craft and doesn’t seem to be looking to become the next Rudy’s. In our sea of great joints I often forget him; I’m headed over tomorrow for lunch based on your post.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Zavala’s continues to up their game. A fine joint that is focused on his craft and doesn’t seem to be looking to become the next Rudy’s. In our sea of great joints I often forget him; I’m headed over tomorrow for lunch based on your post.

True.  Seems he focusing more on his one location and then trying to get their rubs and sauces on shelves.  I know his wifes coffee shop/breakfast taco place moved just down the street.  That may be all they want on their plate at this time.  I've never been to Zavalas but from all accounts Joe is a really good dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

True.  Seems he focusing more on his one location and then trying to get their rubs and sauces on shelves.  I know his wifes coffee shop/breakfast taco place moved just down the street.  That may be all they want on their plate at this time.  I've never been to Zavalas but from all accounts Joe is a really good dude. 

What’s the name of his wife’s joint? I’ve never been at Zavalas for the breakfast tacos but wanted to try.

I love his sausages because he keeps them on the smoke longer than most so the fat is rendered and they are well charred and snappy. Too many joints don’t leave their sausage on the fire long enough.

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

What’s the name of his wife’s joint? I’ve never been at Zavalas for the breakfast tacos but wanted to try.

I love his sausages because he keeps them on the smoke longer than most so the fat is rendered and they are well charred and snappy. Too many joints don’t leave their sausage on the fire long enough.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2023/02/06/small-grand-prairie-shop-with-big-name-mas-coffee-will-move-to-new-address/

I love fresh banana pudding but I don’t like the cookies getting mushy or bananas turning black. So I deconstruct and make it as I serve it.

My wife makes a killer vanilla custard or just make a batch of jello pudding. I also like it with peanut butter cookies, either homemade or store bought. I have made with nutter butters to if you like super sweet. I stir my bananas with lime juice and sugar. Can make real whipped cream or stir up some extra creamy cool whip.

Get your bowls. Layer pudding, bananas, cookies, cream as many stacks as you want. Eat.

• Hook 'Em 1

I  break the nilla wafers up into small chunks.  Not ground into dust, but broken up enough to where you can grab a handful and put them in the bottom of a ramekin as the base layer.  Very thinly sliced bananas go next, then pudding, then cool whip.  Pudding is made in advance and put in the fridge for an hour or two, assembly is done immediately before serving.  Doing it in individual ramekins means you can make more pudding than you need and make individual portions very easily whenever you want to that have non-soggy nilla wafers and fresh bananas.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 2