Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s an Austinite with a food trailer in Tulsa that’s solid. I can’t remember the name of it though.

No offense.  But this post isn't exactly bursting with useful information. ;)

Edited by dcbc

Is anyone doing solid Texas BBQ outside of Texas?  I know Lewis in Charleston, but it would be nice to know if there are good spots in other random states.  
Randomly, there are places that serve good Texas style barbecue elsewhere. But why? If you are an expatriate, I get trying to locate a place close to where you live. If I'm traveling outside of Texas, I'm not looking for Texas barbecue. I'll either try local styles of barbecue or whatever non-barbecue the place is known for.
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
22 hours ago, HeHateMe said:
Is anyone doing solid Texas BBQ outside of Texas?  I know Lewis in Charleston, but it would be nice to know if there are good spots in other random states.  

Randomly, there are places that serve good Texas style barbecue elsewhere. But why? If you are an expatriate, I get trying to locate a place close to where you live. If I'm traveling outside of Texas, I'm not looking for Texas barbecue. I'll either try local styles of barbecue or whatever non-barbecue the place is known for.

Because it's a delicious style of food worthy of export?

Should sushi only exist in Japan?

There’s an Austinite with a food trailer in Tulsa that’s solid. I can’t remember the name of it though.

No offense.  But this post isn't exactly bursting with useful information.

giphy.gif
He look like a man
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Little Miss BBQ in Phoenix AZ is an Austin? transplant, he was on the old site and posted when he was starting out. I find it too salty, otherwise it is good. He's kicking ass, I think up to 3 locations now, big line basically every day for lunch.

Edge Craft in OKC

Phat Tabbs in Idabel

Wrights BBQ in Fayetteville, Arkansas area

All doing Texas style pretty well.  But as a rule you'd be smart not to order sliced brisket outside of the locations you know can deliver deliver the goods.

Edited by DallasSooner

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Jr and his in-laws spread from Dayne’s in FW on Saturday… 

448039DC-FBF5-4C1C-B0C7-3B8317DDACD9.thumb.jpeg.1cde2cfc20dfc4b7e6fc7f41f3d9fd41.jpeg

And yes, those are burgers on there too. 

Pretty good burger. Was hyped too much on my first try. Need to revisit. The rest has been good, not panther city or Zavalas. Solid 3rd though. 

52 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The burger looks great but I’ve never been by on the correct days.

I think it’s a solid just under the top guys like Zavalas, Panther, Goldee’s. In many towns a Dayne’s would be the best they’ve ever seen.

You a fw guy? Let’s get some q soon. 

10 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Pretty good burger. Was hyped too much on my first try. Need to revisit. The rest has been good, not panther city or Zavalas. Solid 3rd though. 

Wasn’t overly impressed with Panther City but I had been under the weather a few days during a visit and so it was more on my end than theirs.  Jr is a burger fiend and will order one whenever the chance too. 

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

Jr and his in-laws spread from Dayne’s in FW on Saturday… 

448039DC-FBF5-4C1C-B0C7-3B8317DDACD9.thumb.jpeg.1cde2cfc20dfc4b7e6fc7f41f3d9fd41.jpeg

And yes, those are burgers on there too. 

Was there on Friday, just before they had to close. The Heimburger is better

20230505_104637.jpg

• Drool 1

Smoked turkey must be the easiest thing to get right.  I almost never order it, I'll get brisket or pork ribs, and no matter where we are, if I steal a few bites of my wife's smoked turkey it almost always tastes fantastic.  Then I tell myself "I need to order that next time" . . . and I don't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Any good new bbq spots around dripping springs ?

my dad is going up for the weekend 

also, looking for a good dining spot between dripping springs and disch Faulk field 

I don't know of any new spots around Dripping Springs.  The Switch is Stiles Switch adjacent, although it is a sit down and order joint IIRC.  Ate there last year around this time and it was about the same as SS.  Alice's at Treaty Oak is another restaurant connect to the Treaty Oak Distillery on Fitzhugh.  I sampled some of their food at a festival, but don't remember much. 

There are plenty of places that fall between DS and Disch Faulk.  LeRoy & Lewis, Terry Black's, and all of the east Austin joints would probably fit the bill for barbecue.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't know of any new spots around Dripping Springs.  The Switch is Stiles Switch adjacent, although it is a sit down and order joint IIRC.  Ate there last year around this time and it was about the same as SS.  Alice's at Treaty Oak is another restaurant connect to the Treaty Oak Distillery on Fitzhugh.  I sampled some of their food at a festival, but don't remember much. 

There are plenty of places that fall between DS and Disch Faulk.  LeRoy & Lewis, Terry Black's, and all of the east Austin joints would probably fit the bill for barbecue.

you can order to go at The Switch, but Pieous is better. only order ahead still i think?

if you want BBQ just take 290 into town and stop by Leroy and Lewis if you haven't been there. idk if there is anything new/great/good bbq-wise out that way in actual Dripping Springs proper

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

The sauce was really good and complemented the other flavors really well. It's on the sweeter side and definitely has some Asian influence, but it isn't like a hoisin sauce or anything like that. The brisket and rice comes with it on there, so if anyone thinks they wouldn't want that, know that going in. But the flavors really work well together, especially with some of their house-made onions and jalapenos (which have a bit of soy sauce to them) mixed in also. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

many gems / hidden spots ?

For sandwiches in Dripping, this place is amazing:  https://turcottebutchers.com/

The Switch and Pieous are the only legit smoked meat spots in Dripping, as Jerry pointed out.  Pieous is worth the trouble for the best pastrami in the state, IMO.  All other BBQ joints in the Dripping area are terrible.  I won't shame them here, just don't go.

If you're in Wimberley, this is good:  https://khcbbq.com/

Otherwise, L&L as recommended.  

• Like 3

It’s not anywhere near us…but it’s one of our favorite places in town, period.

Huh. Didn’t finish before it posted.

We usually get a couple of pizzas, which are almost always fantastic, and then a half pound of pastrami just because it’s awesome. Sometimes, some extra to take home. It’s a great place to take out of towners too - unique and fantastic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh. Didn’t finish before it posted.

We usually get a couple of pizzas, which are almost always fantastic, and then a half pound of pastrami just because it’s awesome. Sometimes, some extra to take home. It’s a great place to take out of towners too - unique and fantastic.

are they open for indoor dining again yet?

3 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Happened a couple months ago. He’s gonna reopen one day a week starting June 4th, gonna be Sunday only.

Thanks. Sorry to have missed out on some good food.  Hope things are going well for him otherwise.