Texas BBQ

Washpark

5 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Wish we could add an active map with the bbq places listed in this thread. It would be helpful as we travel around Texas find a great place to eat bbq.

See if this is useful. It's all my food bookmarks, which is worldwide but includes most of the BBQ recs on here as well as burger, hole in the wall, and random other dining recs.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vf7UHPQ8ZopG3WncA

• Hook 'Em 1

Any recs for mid-day, middle of the week on NE side of DFW airport, say Grapevine/ Southlake  over to Plano/ Addison area?  Looking for quality over value, as in, something that is better than most others.

Maybe that doesn't exist in my search area.  I accept that too.

Edited by slorch

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Any recs for mid-day, middle of the week on NE side of DFW airport, say Grapevine/ Southlake  over to Plano/ Addison area?  Looking for quality over value, as in, something that is better than most others.

Cattleack.

Agree with Cattlelack. On the Grapevine side MeatUAnywhere but if I’m over there it’s hard for me to not go to Weinberger’s Deli.

Am I being a BBQ snob when watching this?  Saw it come through my For You feed and have no idea who the guy is, but the instant he says to toss seasoning on the sausage, I know he isn't from Texas.  As I'm clicking to see where he's from, he starts pouring BBQ sauce on it...I'm revolted.  I get that it's storebought, but how shitty is your sausage if you've got to add seasoning and drown it?  Am I overreacting here?

Malcom Reed sells barbecue rubs and barbecue sauces, so its no surprise that his videos feature heavy use of both.  I find him entertaining and informative - especially on cooking pork.  I have followed his guidance with mojo pork chops and pork belly burnt ends.

ETA:  There is nothing Texas BBQ about Malcom Reed.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I know I'm an oldhead, but there's nothing about proper made sausage that requires sauce or rub.  Dammit man.

Packaged stuff?  bring on the sauce.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, CBT said:

Any east Texas folks know why they had to leave before their spot on high street was ready?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsmpUsyvoqv/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

I’m going to miss my weekly fix.

City of Longview shut him down immediately without notice. They’re also making the opening of his storefront somewhat impossible. 

They’ve created some code that requires the smoker to be fully screened in and completing roofed. That’s the restaurant issue  

His trailer was shut down because they have a sudden new rule that any food truck has to - each night - go to a commissary kitchen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

City of Longview shut him down immediately without notice. They’re also making the opening of his storefront somewhat impossible. 
They’ve created some code that requires the smoker to be fully screened in and completing roofed. That’s the restaurant issue  
His trailer was shut down because they have a sudden new rule that any food truck has to - each night - go to a commissary kitchen. 

That commissary shit is one of the reasons Willow shut down his bbq truck in Houston. It broke down on him several times going to/from the commissary.

11 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

i remember a few years ago (shit, like 5+ at this point) they had some incredibly backwards rules around food trucks and thought they had loosened them, but guess not all of them.

dumb.

i remember a few years ago (shit, like 5+ at this point) they had some incredibly backwards rules around food trucks and thought they had loosened them, but guess not all of them.
dumb.

You’d think the mayor might own a chunk of Bodacious BBQ or something.

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You’d think the mayor might own a chunk of Bodacious BBQ or something.

not knowing anything more about the situation at all than what's been said here, i would not at all be shocked if the Lindsey family was reporting him constantly since he and Dave announced the new business location/building.

Edited by NoName

Some of the lengths towns and cities will go to against businesses is amazing.  Now if you serving a concession stand at a basketball game, sell whatever you want and nobody will care, city doesnt get involved, etc.  

But man food trucks and trailers really go under a lot of scrutiny. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for proving my point.  If you can't argue for free market barbecue on a football message board without offending somebody, we are doomed.

Take your disingenuous bullshit to the cloak room. You make thinly veiled comments like this is every fucking forum except for the appropriate one because you are an piece of shit that can’t help himself. Fuck off to CR.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tigol said:

Take your disingenuous bullshit to the cloak room. You make thinly veiled comments like this is every fucking forum except for the appropriate one because you are an piece of shit that can’t help himself. Fuck off to CR.

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

Let’s get back on track…

Maybe a second trip to Rosemeyer’s the other week. Brisket was very good. The sausage was as good as before but the casing was tough. Almost like it was really thick. They provide plastic cutlery but I had to bust out my pocket knife to cut the sausage.

b3e4ab06c714dc653f951227fea21082.jpg

And another recent trip to Brisket & Rice. Another excellent meal from them.

c0c0d039d6c3b129490c657646a1ad32.jpg

Heading down to the coast tomorrow, so that means a visit to Butter’s.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Let’s get back on track…

Maybe a second trip to Rosemeyer’s the other week. Brisket was very good. The sausage was as good as before but the casing was tough. Almost like it was really thick. They provide plastic cutlery but I had to bust out my pocket knife to cut the sausage.

The Big Red was a good call.

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Let’s get back on track…

Shiiiiit....I was just there, you might have been sitting right in front of me.  😆

NM- I just re-read your post.

First trip.  Probably the best brisket I've ever had.  Literally melt-in-your-mouth.

Great pickles too

image.thumb.png.375aa5e5935142fa304d8614df468453.png

image.thumb.png.bb22efaf1c0ece7509bdfd9ee0d14646.png

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Shiiiiit....I was just there, you might have been sitting right in front of me.  😆

NM- I just re-read your post.

First trip.  Probably the best brisket I've ever had.  Literally melt-in-your-mouth.

Great pickles too

image.thumb.png.375aa5e5935142fa304d8614df468453.png

image.thumb.png.bb22efaf1c0ece7509bdfd9ee0d14646.png

You on some sort of starvation diet or is that the salad before the main course?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Thick sausage casing = no bueno 

That sausage looks pretty good to me.  I had some the other week where the casing wasn't of stern stuff, and it was like a plate of mush.  There's a middle  ground for sure.

That sausage looks pretty good to me.  I had some the other week where the casing wasn't of stern stuff, and it was like a plate of mush.  There's a middle  ground for sure.

Yeah it was weird. Like the casing was thicker than normal. I suppose that can happen. But the taste was good. But had to bust out a real knife to get to it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah it was weird. Like the casing was thicker than normal. I suppose that can happen. But the taste was good. But had to bust out a real knife to get to it.

While taste is king, I like a good snap.

• Like 2