Texas BBQ

Washpark

156b61d0cff3d701b25ffb6895a29c58.jpg

Reveille BBQ, Magnolia, TX

Halfway between Tomball and Magnolia on 1774/249

Dunno what the meaning behind the name is. Pitmaster is the head dude from Tejas in Tomball. Beef rib and brisket were outstanding. Pork ribs were solid, ans jalapeno sausage was good. Didnt order sides (cause fuck sides), but friend ordered the elotes (awesome) and smoked blistered shishito peppers (solid also). In a trailer right now but moving into brick and mortar on property in 4-5 months.

Only been open for a month or so, but def. legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've also been to Reveille and thought it was legit. No beef ribs when I visited, but the brisket and ribs were good. Shishitos weren't blistered as much as I like...but they're sides so who gives a shit?

They also gave us a free side of the Elotes and it was good as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dunno what the meaning behind the name is. Pitmaster is the head dude from Tejas in Tomball. Beef rib and brisket were outstanding. Pork ribs were solid, ans jalapeno sausage was good. Didnt order sides (cause fuck sides), but friend ordered the elotes (awesome) and smoked blistered shishito peppers (solid also). In a trailer right now but moving into brick and mortar on property in 4-5 months.

Do they have the carrot souffle like Tejas?  Best non-traditional side in Texas.  Second goes to the sauteed okra from the Pit Room in Houston. 

Went to Valentina's this morning.  Fuck the real deal holyfield is good.  Their barbacoa is even better though.  That was probably the best barbacoa I've had.  I think they only do it on Sunday.  Line to food time was about 30 minutes and we got their just after 10:30.  Barely made the breakfast taco cutoff, it stopped 2 groups behind us.

Edited by kevwun

20 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Bodacious in Longview on South Mobberly is still killing it.  Best sausage I've ever had, and the brisket is amazing.

Was driving through today and nearly made a detour to give it a try, but wondered if they were open and just kept driving.

Some day soon.

Edited by dcbc

I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I’m guessing the name is some relation to aggy and/or dead dog scoreboards who are up the road a piece.

Pitmaster is or WAS head dude from Tejas?

On 6/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, mdleast said:

Have never eaten there yet I like to give his billboard a return thumbs up every time I’m passing through Temple.

a67d5cc2f84ac2f0bda4cdf03ef842a3.jpg

Yep. Crap brisket is a centroplex tradition. Mikeska's has always had shitty brisket, or whatever they use as sliced beef. But people go there in droves for catfish and CFS.

Schoepf's sells sliced smokeless pot roast that's edible as long as you pour a shitload of their great sauce on it, but people mostly like the chicken, if you're lucky enough to get it the 1/2 hour per day that it isn't ice cold.. But the sides are great. They made top 50 a couple of decades ago and have living off that ancient rep they haven't earned. 

Even Miller's has meh... brisket now, lost its flavor after the move from the original pits and built all new pits that seem to filter out any smoke flavor. They seem to push their foo foo coffee bar with latte art and fancy deserts more than their mediocre barbecue, since they hipsterfied the place and started using a fake pitmaster goofball as a fecebook mascot. Really a damn shame. They had the best spare ribs in the entire universe and they threw them in the garbage and sold out.

Was in Fort Worth today so decided to try Heim. Three of us each ordered the 2 meat plate plus an order of the bacon burnt ends so we got to try everything expect their beef rib (wasn’t feeling the “average” $33 for it).

The bacon burnt ends, pork ribs, jalapeño and cheddar as well as pepper sausages were all quite tasty, the brisket was good though not outstanding, the green chili Mac and cheese was a tasty side, but the pulled pork and turkey were a disappointment.

Overall, not too bad...especially as we were able to walk right up and order.

c17fc71bb26d379b7d18dc39b9447df2.jpg

135d8e422897f1fced1edb3dfbf7d8a8.jpg

5653f1372b972b5fc7e31e8801220be4.jpg

2c48271228075e56c5d8ca825d53ccc4.jpg

We're generally not too kind to heim lately on the Fort Worth thread, product seems to have slipped some. But I will give them credit for having the infrastructure side down pretty well and they're friendly. 

Went to Blacks BBQ in Lockhart around 4pm today. The brisket wasn't cooked all the way and the ribs were on the dry side. Not much smoke taste in the brisket. The Turkey and sausage were really good. I was actually looking forward to a beef rib, but the rack they had sitting out on the block looked like crap.
When I ordered the 1 lb. of moist brisket the guy on the block cut it with the grain. I didn't see that until he slapped it on my tray. I asked him to recut another portion that was AGAINST the grain.
I'm done going to any of the bbq places in Lockhart. None of them serve a decent brisket. Under seasoned, not smoked properly and a low grade of meat. I don't know if it is because they have been doing the same thing all these years and since they still get good business (thanks to dumbasses like Vaughn), they aren't going to change?
I'll hit up a Rudy's next time before any Lockhart joint.
Sorry for the extra rant but I'm tired of dropping $70 on a family bbq meal and it is shit. 18b20b5f29e343245b79d81ae7d0328f.jpg

• Like 1

The old guard of bbq in Texas has slipped bigly since Aaron Franklin et al came around

Really very little reason nowadays for anyone to hit up the lockhart big 3, luling city market, coopers, etc unless you are very close by. Most people can get good cue in their own neighborhood, specially in central texas

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

Went to Blacks BBQ in Lockhart around 4pm today. The brisket wasn't cooked all the way and the ribs were on the dry side. Not much smoke taste in the brisket. The Turkey and sausage were really good. I was actually looking forward to a beef rib, but the rack they had sitting out on the block looked like crap.
When I ordered the 1 lb. of moist brisket the guy on the block cut it with the grain. I didn't see that until he slapped it on my tray. I asked him to recut another portion that was AGAINST the grain.
I'm done going to any of the bbq places in Lockhart. None of them serve a decent brisket. Under seasoned, not smoked properly and a low grade of meat. I don't know if it is because they have been doing the same thing all these years and since they still get good business (thanks to dumbasses like Vaughn), they aren't going to change?
I'll hit up a Rudy's next time before any Lockhart joint.
Sorry for the extra rant but I'm tired of dropping $70 on a family bbq meal and it is shit. 18b20b5f29e343245b79d81ae7d0328f.jpg

Is that the re-cut brisket? Also, what do you mean not cooked all the way?

15 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Went to Blacks BBQ in Lockhart

Reports from the New Braunfels Blacks (Its an actual Blacks, not a Kent or a Terry's) is not good. I've yet to hear a really good report back - mostly its like "meh, about like Rudy's (who was previously in that building) and expensive as fuck".

Reports from the New Braunfels Blacks (Its an actual Blacks, not a Kent or a Terry's) is not good. I've yet to hear a really good report back - mostly its like "meh, about like Rudy's (who was previously in that building) and expensive as fuck".
This is good to know considering we're going to be in New Braunfels this weekend and were considering trying it out.

Just now, Okie State said:
4 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

This is good to know considering we're going to be in New Braunfels this weekend and were considering trying it out.

In NB - we've got Coopers, Rudy's and Blacks all within a mile of each other on 337.

Granzin's and McBee's downtown.

Honestly - I'd drive the 15 minutes up to Hays County.

• Like 1

Super interesting and a bit surprising.  I have only met Aaron once, but he seemed like a really nice guy who would be good to work for.  Hope you are right about an improved Stiles Switch.   I eat there more than any other bbq place in Austin simply based on proximity to my house and it being open for dinner, but the brisket is definitely not consistent.  

Stiles Switch is about to open another restaurant that is a bbq/cajun place in Dripping Springs.  They probably threw a bunch of money at him to make sure they would be able to put out consistently good bbq at both places.

• Like 1

Read last week in the local Community Impact that John Brotherton will be a co-owner of a new joint in Round Rock - Liberty Barbecue.  I hope it works out for him as I've been impressed with his venture in Pflugerville - Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue.  His last try in downtown Round Rock didn't turnout so well.

Drove from Houston to Dallas a couple weeks ago and hadn't been to Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville in several years, so I thought I'd stop by for a late lunch.  Seemed like Woody's was a decent place, not the caliber that would make anyone's list for best BBQ, but decent enough to make a planned stop. 

Well, it's doubled in size since the last time I was there.  My overall impression is it's turned into an over-priced tourist trap.   The pork ribs were bland and fatty...not that much meat.  The brisket was dry and over-cooked.  Not many sides these days, so I had some beans.  They were salty.  For a few pork ribs and a few slices of brisket was $16, not including a drink.  Don't know if I caught Woody's on an off-day.

10 hours ago, luke duke said:

Yep, Braun jumped ship. He took over for John Lewis when he left. I would expect the Stiles Switch consistency and quality to be improving in the near future.

just out of curiosity what do those guys make?  talented pit masters at the top of their game but working for someone else.  $60k? 

Drove from Houston to Dallas a couple weeks ago and hadn't been to Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville in several years, so I thought I'd stop by for a late lunch.  Seemed like Woody's was a decent place, not the caliber that would make anyone's list for best BBQ, but decent enough to make a planned stop. 
Well, it's doubled in size since the last time I was there.  My overall impression is it's turned into an over-priced tourist trap.   The pork ribs were bland and fatty...not that much meat.  The brisket was dry and over-cooked.  Not many sides these days, so I had some beans.  They were salty.  For a few pork ribs and a few slices of brisket was $16, not including a drink.  Don't know if I caught Woody's on an off-day.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say Woody’s had good BBQ. Everything I’ve seen there verified this.