Texas BBQ

Washpark

I have a problem.  I had an amazing, top 10 (for me) BBQ meal for lunch today.  But I am watching Triple D and they are at a place in the Dallas area I have never heard of.  I am assuming that is for a good reason, however, this sandwich at One90 Smoked Meats looks amazing.  Brisket, spicy sauce, a poblano pepper with melted cheese and pickles.  Fuck my life.  Any of you you big haired, $30k millionaires in Dallas tried this sandwich?

"Shaw" was the guy who was cooking ribs back when they started winning the Texas Monthly best ribs awards.  Shaw isn't there any more.  This review of Stanley's is the least surprising thing I will read today.  
Shaw was still there when the ribs changed (he left some time around September). He is very much missed though.

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have a problem.  I had an amazing, top 10 (for me) BBQ meal for lunch today.  But I am watching Triple D and they are at a place in the Dallas area I have never heard of.  I am assuming that is for a good reason, however, this sandwich at One90 Smoked Meats looks amazing.  Brisket, spicy sauce, a poblano pepper with melted cheese and pickles.  Fuck my life.  Any of you you big haired, $30k millionaires in Dallas tried this sandwich?

I live in Lake highlands so have gone there a few times. That sandwich is sensational. That said, it's the only truly outstanding thing they have but goddamn is it good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hit up Agape BBQ in Liberty Hill last night.  Daniel Vaughn did a review in January, so I wanted to give it a try.  Ordered 3 meat plate with brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, coleslaw, and mac & cheese.  Would have liked to try the dill pickle brined chicken, but they were out.  Didn't try the sausage because they serve Slovacek sausage that I can make at home.  All three meats were cooked very well.  Brisket lacked a little bark, but otherwise was good.  Pulled pork was very moist and was not served in sauce, which is a bonus for me.  Pork ribs were finominal - perfectly smoked and really flavored well.  Actually went back and ordered two more pork ribs and the chili lime corn salad. 

The sides were not impressive.  Mac and cheese was fine.  Coleslaw was too sweet even though the menu touted mayo and vinegar.  Corn salad was just a mishmash of corn, cucumber, tomatoes, and serrano peppers.  Didn't try the potato salad, but saw a table of empty trays with potato salad barely touched.

They have live music under large oak trees on weekend nights.  Sure to return for the nice atmosphere and well cooked barbecue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Not going back through thread but what’s the place in FW or nearby that ranked high on TM50 list?  We’ll be down in a couple of weeks and I’d like to try it out.  TIA. 

Goldee's Barbecue - #1 (FW)

Panther City BBQ - #10 (FW)

Dayne's Craft Barbecue (FW)

Hurtado Barbecue (Arlington)

Zavalas Barbecue (Grand Praire)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:
This seems like a stealth humblebrag. Genuinely curious to know more about your recipe, process and results.

It's not. Slovacek sausage is available at HEB when it's open. I only order sausage at a barbecue joint when I know they make their own.

I'm confused. Buying it from HEB isn't the same as making it at home.

Goldees is who I was looking for.  Thank you, kind Sir. 

Goldee’s is only open Fri sat Sun 11 til out. Lines have been long since the ranking. I picked up there a couple of times before fame hit and found it very top notch though I question best in all the land.

I’m a big Hurtado fan, as well as the other FW joints on the list. I think 407 in Argyle off i35, Derek Allen’s in FW, and Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine are also worth a visit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

There is a semi constant thread on my NextDoor debating the qualities of Dickey’s vs Colters vs Spring Creek. With Goldie’s, Davids, Hurtado, and 225 within 5 minutes. With all the FW joints within 15.

that Dickey’s cup is undefeated 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

There is a semi constant thread on my NextDoor debating the qualities of Dickey’s vs Colters vs Spring Creek. With Goldie’s, Davids, Hurtado, and 225 within 5 minutes. With all the FW joints within 15.

I appreciate the efforts of line control on situations like these.  It's a balance between wanting to see the greats at BBQ kill it financially and having short/ reasonable lines for me.

What would be looking at for Goldees on a Sunday? say we are there at 1030, what time eating, everything prob avail?

I have heard stories they open early if the line is long and they can be sold out by 11. You might want to give them a call. If they sell out Sunday for barbecue has few options.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

we like One90.  we got stuff from there a bunch during the pandemic.  it's not gonna win any awards, but it's solid for East Dallas/Lake Highlands.  never had the sandwich.  i'll have to go back for that.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:39 AM, Jerry Callo said:
On 3/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, Underdog said:
Goldees is who I was looking for.  Thank you, kind Sir. 

You need to try 2 or 3 at a minimum. Both Panther City and Zavala's are legit. Haven't been to the other two.

we went to Zavala last Friday night.  it's so damn good.  brisket is great.  get a side of Pop's beans and some flour tortillas, and you'd think you were at my grandma's house for Christmas.  the Sloppy Juan is great, and they do Crispito's on Friday nights, which are the bomb.  open til 8 pm on Thursday and Friday, and they make sure they have enough brisket to last.  it's great for people who don't have time to stand in line at lunch.  hardly any line at night when i've gone on Fridays.

FOESWTiXoAYK1b-?format=jpg&name=large

FOED9bFUcAAHXjt?format=jpg&name=large

FOKyCNqXwAMrl93?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 4

18 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

How are Hurtado’s lines on a Thursday? Flying down next week and would love to hit it up. Want to meet a friend who works in Kennedale so Zavala’s is to get I think. 

pretty close to each other in the grand scheme of things.  why not both?

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

No, but I have some friends that live in Overlook Estates down the road that have been there and they say it's pretty terrible.

11 hours ago, tigol said:

Same.  But, the beer flows.

That good enough information for me.  Thanks.  I'll probably hit up The Switch this evening instead.

Stopped at The Switch between Oak Hill and Dripping Springs. Seated ordering as opposed to ordering at the counter. Same or similar menu to Stiles Switch.

Got a half pound of moist brisket and jalapeño/green apple slaw. Both were good. Brisket seasoned well, but the the point side was slightly over cooked. Seemed like they removed too much of the fat cap before smoking. All in all it was a good meal.

95880ce0406bdb57c0770022d37b82cc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2