Texas BBQ

Washpark

Don't get out of Taylor much for BBQ (not that we eat the cue around here much, I usually just make my own) but the wife didn't feel like working on the yard today so suggested a mini BBQ crawl.  Since the boy lives off of S. Congress and Oltorf, suggested he meet us at Moreno Barbecue.  A friend that lives a few blocks away had recommended it, and I always pass it when we go to Space for our band rehearsals, so decided to venture south today.  Did not disappoint.  Hipster quotient relatively minor, will check it out again sometime (although wife was excited to see Conan's across the street, so we've already made plans to hit that the next time we're down that way...).  Wrapped up with a few brews at St. Elmo, all in all a good day.

moreno1.jpg

moreno.jpg

moreno2.jpg

beer2.jpg

beer.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Sad but true.

Also, lots of places completely separate the two muscles before slicing.  That was the most common way in Central Texas, before about the last 15-20 years.  

I prefer lean brisket, and I really dislike the fatty bit between flat and point when they're sliced together the way Franklin and others do it. Even fully rendered, it's still a consistency that I don't like to eat.  So I always separate before slicing, but I don't cut into quarters the way that one video showed it.  I guess that probably makes it easier to handle, but I've never had a problem handling the full brisket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Sad but true.
Also, lots of places completely separate the two muscles before slicing.  That was the most common way in Central Texas, before about the last 15-20 years.  
I prefer lean brisket, and I really dislike the fatty bit between flat and point when they're sliced together the way Franklin and others do it. Even fully rendered, it's still a consistency that I don't like to eat.  So I always separate before slicing, but I don't cut into quarters the way that one video showed it.  I guess that probably makes it easier to handle, but I've never had a problem handling the full brisket.

I also am rarely a fan of that fatty bit. It’s best removed and rendered down for use in chili or beans or tortillas.

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Definitely the way I was taught, and much like double spaces after terminal punctuation, the Oxford comma, and a refusal to use "*a* myriad" in my life, I ain't changing.

Sometimes that fat layer is fine, sometimes it's gross.  I never thought about trying to render it down later, I'll try that next smoke.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, Jive Turkey said:

see Pecan Lodge.  quality went down when Pecan Lodge built a bigger space and stayed open late for dinner.

my understanding is that they didn't build the space but their deal w/ the landlord required them to be open for dinner service from day 1

they like 2x'd their pits, had huge QC issues because they were new pits + 2x as big as before and struggled with that.

honestly, they were never close to as good results wise as they were at the farmers market but that isn't a shocker

• Like 1

It was about as good as bbq can get today at Pinkerton ….. once again I told my dad about a guy I know, @Patricio Swayze. I told him he thought Pinkerton was ok to good. My dad - is that same dumb sob that likes the Mexican place across the street ? Me - Yes. Dad - his taste buds have to be messed up, he ain’t right !

FABF519B-992D-4C26-8BF9-56ED38A198BE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Goddam, every time I see that lunacy it stirs up the rage in me.

there's a vid out there of a guy from Texas showing folks how to cut a brisket at some BBQ festival in New York City...dumb motherfucker is showing off for the camera and shit but I shit you not he cuts off and trashes about half the goddamn brisket and declares that's how we do it Texas or some such shit.  for the life of me i can't seem to find the vid but fucking hell...if you think this one is bad, that one is about x100 on the Rage-o-Meter.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

there's a vid out there of a guy from Texas showing folks how to cut a brisket at some BBQ festival in New York City...dumb motherfucker is showing off for the camera and shit but I shit you not he cuts off and trashes about half the goddamn brisket and declares that's how we do it Texas or some such shit.  for the life of me i can't seem to find the vid but fucking hell...if you think this one is bad, that one is about x100 on the Rage-o-Meter.

He was teaching New Yorkers?  

I’m good with that.  Solid PSYOPS operation.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It was about as good as bbq can get today at Pinkerton ….. once again I told my dad about a guy I know, @Patricio Swayze. I told him he thought Pinkerton was ok to good. My dad - is that same dumb sob that likes the Mexican place across the street ? Me - Yes. Dad - his taste buds have to be messed up, he ain’t right !

FABF519B-992D-4C26-8BF9-56ED38A198BE.jpeg

THAT is art!

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years back there was a video of some asshole in North Carolina who cut brisket into slabs, dipped each in sauce, then proceeded to grill and give each slab a second dip. Said you needed to be sure to double dip your brisket. Asshole.

OG video was on yahoo and got so many negative comments they pulled it.

• Haha 2

new hours at Zavala's in Grand Prairie.  i'll be making a lot more weekend trips.  never had an issue getting brisket right before closing when i've gone on Friday nights.  definitely worth a trip for anybody in DFW on a weekend.

I hope they dont spike their food costs trying to have bbq in stock to closing. That’s often the first step to disaster.

It was about as good as bbq can get today at Pinkerton ….. once again I told my dad about a guy I know, [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]. I told him he thought Pinkerton was ok to good. My dad - is that same dumb sob that likes the Mexican place across the street ? Me - Yes. Dad - his taste buds have to be messed up, he ain’t right !

FABF519B-992D-4C26-8BF9-56ED38A198BE.thumb.jpeg.0ddbc2119d64e837d5dec3267d285867.jpeg

Hahaha you jackoff. Used to be my go to place when all y’all were eating at papa charlie’s. Y’all had to go to Pinkerton’s on the DL one time with me not to hurt Champ’s feelings.

Maybe they are back on point? Now that J Bar M is a no go, perhaps it’s time I give Pinkerton’s a 3rd chance to get back into the rotation.

I had to go to the Austin office today. Boss asked if she could buy lunch and I said sure, so I had Leroy and Lewis, and it was spectacular. Beef cheeks, sausage and a bison meatball.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

had Leroy and Lewis, and it was spectacular. 

How was the line?  I pulled up at 11:00 on a Weds maybe two weeks ago and could see 10+ in line, which is a very new phenomenon - only time I've seen more than 3 was the week the Top 50 came out and F1 was in town.  Had stuff to do that day so just rolled on to Brown's.  

• Like 1

Schoepf's isn't horrible since they switched to prime brisket but still not as good as Miller's.   And it costs more than Miller's for the portion sizes you get.   I won't lie, I sometimes go there when the lunch line at Miller's is stupid long.   Best thing about Schoepf's is the concerts they have during the summer.   

• Like 1

Is Smokey Joe's in Dallas the most unknown Top 50 joint in DFW?

Very good brisket, needs a heavier coating of rub. Ribs were slightly undercooked and void of any seasoning. Jalapeno Cheddar sausage is a meat coarse grind, some of the best I've had, reminds me of Pecan Lodge sausage. Potato salad is perfect, similar to Smokeaholics in Fort Worth.

This was $25

20220422_125349.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1