Texas BBQ

Washpark

Rudy's would be the best BBQ in probably 40 states. 

Those of us who have lived in barbecue deserts like Portland would have killed for Rudy’s. Even a spring creek.

In the Bay Area wife and I drove an hour and a half to eat at the first On the Border. All that way and they had yankeefied it.

55 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Those of us who have lived in barbecue deserts like Portland would have killed for Rudy’s. Even a spring creek.

In the Bay Area wife and I drove an hour and a half to eat at the first On the Border. All that way and they had yankeefied it.

Spring Creek has fallen off of a cliff.  The last time I did takeout, early during Covid, I threw away the meat and ordered a pizza.  Rolls are still top notch though.

8 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I guess I’m in the minority, would way rather eat at Hard 8 over Rudy’s. 

Yep.  You are gonna have to sit at a table in shame all by yourself in the school cafeteria.  My Hard 8 experiences have been at the Brady joint.  Not good.  Undercooked and over salted on brisket and ribs.  Just not rendered.

I've picked up catering or have eaten catering from Rudy's many times.  Maybe not TM 50, but always solid and right down the middle for a called strike.  I think they do a really good job for a place open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner service.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Spring Creek has fallen off of a cliff.  The last time I did takeout, early during Covid, I threw away the meat and ordered a pizza.  Rolls are still top notch though.

My kid worked there for a few months before getting a much better BBQ gig.  So we went there to support him and "tip the busboy."  The brisket was inedible.  The "spicy sausage" was utter trash.  The roll they give you in the line is petrified and the dough-ho didn't make it around soon enough, the corn on the cob was passably bland, and the beans were shitty sweet.  The pickle undoubtedly was the best part of the meal.  That place is an abomination.

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My kid worked there for a few months before getting a much better BBQ gig.  So we went there to support him and "tip the busboy."  The brisket was inedible.  The "spicy sausage" was utter trash.  The roll they give you in the line is petrified, and the dough-ho didn't make it around soon enough, the corn on the cob was passably bland.  The pickle undoubtedly was the best part of the meal.  That place is absolute trash.

Their business model when I was in high school was this:  serve edible bbq, have great rolls, and hire the hottest cheerleader from the local high school to wander around the dining area with fresh rolls.  I’m guessing that’s the dough-ho?  It was ok in a pinch up to about 5 years ago because it’s really convenient.  Never again.

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Their business model when I was in high school was this:  serve edible bbq, have great rolls, and hire the hottest cheerleader from the local high school to wander around the dining area with fresh rolls.  I’m guessing that’s the dough-ho?  It was ok in a pinch up to about 5 years ago because it’s really convenient.  Never again.

Yes, that's the dough-ho.  And the fresh rolls are tasty.  My son says the brisket is hit or miss depending on the day and a chopped beef sandwich is the only safe bet.  He also hated the work environment there.  He's much happier in his current gig.  If I'm going BBQ in a hurry, Rudy's is the only safe bet.

Edited by dcbc

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yes, that's the dough-ho.  And the fresh rolls are tasty.  My son says the brisket is hit or miss depending on the day and a chopped beef sandwich is the only safe bet.  He also hated the work environment there.  He's much happier in his current gig.  If I'm going BBQ in a hurry, Rudy's is the only safe bet.

Spring Creek is 2 minutes from the house.  The nearest Rudy’s is 30 minutes round trip assuming normal traffic.   These days I spring for Ten-50, who despite having average bbq, and charging top-tier prices, is a good option when the wife has a bad day at work and asks you to take care of dinner on short notice.

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

My kid worked there for a few months before getting a much better BBQ gig.  So we went there to support him and "tip the busboy."  The brisket was inedible.  The "spicy sausage" was utter trash.  The roll they give you in the line is petrified and the dough-ho didn't make it around soon enough, the corn on the cob was passably bland, and the beans were shitty sweet.  The pickle undoubtedly was the best part of the meal.  That place is an abomination.

Sir!  Bread Distribution Engineer, please.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Spring Creek is 2 minutes from the house.  The nearest Rudy’s is 30 minutes round trip assuming normal traffic.   These days I spring for Ten-50, who despite having average bbq, and charging top-tier prices, is a good option when the wife has a bad day at work and asks you to take care of dinner on short notice.

I won't bother with Spring Creek. I'd choose another cuisine. I'm by Love Field so there's not a Rudy's within 30 mins of my house in any direction. I grew up in SA not far from the OG location and have a soft spot for Rudy's but I'm not going an hour (min) in the car to get it but if I'm passing one -- or meeting somebody in the vicinity of one -- you're damn right I'll gladly go there. Our "quick" options are Dickey's (not all that close and not very good) and Sonny Bryan's (see Dickey's -- the Lovers Lane location closed this week) or Heim (better but charges TM Top 10 prices and nothing at the Mockingbird location is worth it save for the burgers).

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I won't bother with Spring Creek. I'd choose another cuisine. I'm by Love Field so there's not a Rudy's within 30 mins of my house in any direction. I grew up in SA not far from the OG location and have a soft spot for Rudy's but I'm not going an hour (min) in the car to get it but if I'm passing one -- or meeting somebody in the vicinity of one -- you're damn right I'll gladly go there. Our "quick" options are Dickey's (not all that close and not very good) and Sonny Bryan's (see Dickey's -- the Lovers Lane location closed this week) or Heim (better but charges TM Top 10 prices and nothing at the Mockingbird location is worth it save for the burgers).

It was a mistake that I blame on the early days of covid and a smattering of fond childhood memories.  Sonny Bryan’s has been tolerable within the last few years if you get a sandwich and put some sauce on it.   Certainly a notch above Spring Creek and Dickey’s.  

On a side note, I stop at Sonny Bryan’s every time I pass one, and it’s not to eat their bbq.  I am moving out of state in a few months, and currently have a non-functioning ice maker in our fridge that won’t be making the trip.   Not going to pay to have it fixed for a third time and not going to buy a new one, so I buy ice in the meantime, and Sonny sells it for a buck a bag, which is 3X cheaper than the convenience store.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Sweet beans are an abomination unto the Lord. Their sole virtue is they they are sticky and gloppy and won’t soak through or slide off a paper plate at a picnic or outside party. 

Peppery and savory, or just charro beans are superior with any form of barbecue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

There is NOTHING wrong with Rudy's, BTW. It's not Franklin/Snow's/Goldee's, of course, but it's the best/most consistent BBQ franchise going in Texas IMO.

Agreed.  Sometimes I'll grab 1-1.5 lbs of turkey on a Sunday and have sammiches for lunch the rest of the week.  Better than the processed deli meat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Agreed.  Sometimes I'll grab 1-1.5 lbs of turkey on a Sunday and have sammiches for lunch the rest of the week.  Better than the processed deli meat.

I do the same.  Their pork loin works well for this, too.

Went to Stiles Switch on Sunday to get some of their Oaxaca cheese and serrano sausage.  They had rotated to a chile relleno sausage which was quite good.  Decided to get some pork ribs as well.  I happy to have the Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.  Food is consistently good, they're open all day and even on Sunday.  Glad to be able to pick up some good barbecue on weekends that I don't make a barbecue run somewhere.  Also nice to be able to pick up a few links of great sausage to pair with other meats I've smoked at home.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pathologically drawn to brisket.

I told the cutter it was everything I could do not to order brisket as I always order at least a 1/2 of brisket.  He said "I was waiting for the brisket order - you're wearing a 'No Sleep 'til Brisket' shirt after all."  I didn't even realize I was wearing that shirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Went to Stiles Switch on Sunday to get some of their Oaxaca cheese and serrano sausage.  They had rotated to a chile relleno sausage which was quite good.  Decided to get some pork ribs as well.  I happy to have the Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.  Food is consistently good, they're open all day and even on Sunday.  Glad to be able to pick up some good barbecue on weekends that I don't make a barbecue run somewhere.  Also nice to be able to pick up a few links of great sausage to pair with other meats I've smoked at home.

I told the cutter it was everything I could do not to order brisket as I always order at least a 1/2 of brisket.  He said "I was waiting for the brisket order - you're wearing a 'No Sleep 'til Brisket' shirt after all."  I didn't even realize I was wearing that shirt. 

I think SS Cedar Park is more consistent and better overall than SS Lamar.  I stop by probably once a month these days.

Also, if you're wearing a brisket shirt, you really should order brisket.  Really, you should order it anyway, just because.

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

turkey is SO easy to smoke. can't recommend it enough in case anyone is curious. super easy

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

how was it compared to the 2M version?

The 2M version was the reason I wanted to try Stiles Switch's version, but they had changed from that one to the chile relleno sausage.  The chile relleno was really good, but not better than Tejas'.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, Rudy's turkey is outstanding.  It's just hard for me to order turkey at a BBQ joint.  I'm pathologically drawn to brisket.

You can get both! I almost always do, especially at the Top 50 places. Whatever turkey isn't eaten, you take it home for sammiches that week.

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

Junior’s haul from Dayne’s this past weekend... 

90B402B5-80DD-49AA-97DA-DAB65A0A033C.thumb.jpeg.5a2a2e0bcddb14616bbacad70e90898f.jpeg

I might’ve gone Blutarsky on that potato salad. 

Dayne's is damn good. That bean/frito pie is tasty AF.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My HEB, which is often open, never seems to stock those.  Beyond that, is a "boneless turkey breast roast" a real thing, as in straight off the bird, or is it some sort of pressed Frankenstein creation from scraps?

B96C8B15-1DB5-4731-B74A-4CE893D2AFE0.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

It was a mistake that I blame on the early days of covid and a smattering of fond childhood memories.  Sonny Bryan’s has been tolerable within the last few years if you get a sandwich and put some sauce on it.   Certainly a notch above Spring Creek and Dickey’s.  

On a side note, I stop at Sonny Bryan’s every time I pass one, and it’s not to eat their bbq.  I am moving out of state in a few months, and currently have a non-functioning ice maker in our fridge that won’t be making the trip.   Not going to pay to have it fixed for a third time and not going to buy a new one, so I buy ice in the meantime, and Sonny sells it for a buck a bag, which is 3X cheaper than the convenience store.

Pro move here. It’s .99 for an 8 lb bag.
Only better deal are the standalone ice kiosks.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My HEB, which is often open, never seems to stock those.  Beyond that, is a "boneless turkey breast roast" a real thing, as in straight off the bird, or is it some sort of pressed Frankenstein creation from scraps?

If it has skin, you should be fine, which the ones I've seen at HEB do have.  It's worth smoking a whole bird if you can't find one.  It is super easy like he mentioned and if you brine it before hand, it will be the best turkey you've had in your life.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i asked for some help in the houston bbq thread and no one has replied so now asking here......

2 best options for clear lake / friendswood / seabrook

Really wasn’t too overly impressed with Killen’s. Definitely better than Central TX in pearland but honestly if you can swing it, go to Truth in Houston.

5 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Pro move here. It’s .99 for an 8 lb bag.
Only better deal are the standalone ice kiosks.

Is there a standalone ice kiosk in our hood?  I believe we live relatively close to each other.  The Sonny Bryan’s is on Campbell.  I’ve never come across one unless I’m going to the lake and loading up coolers in some podunk town by Possum Kingdom or Cypress Springs.  I don’t currently have the storage capacity for more than 3 bags.

Is there a standalone ice kiosk in our hood?  I believe we live relatively close to each other.  The Sonny Bryan’s is on Campbell.  I’ve never come across one unless I’m going to the lake and loading up coolers in some podunk town by Possum Kingdom or Cypress Springs.  I don’t currently have the storage capacity for more than 3 bags.

There is one off Arapaho west of Shiloh. It’s by a Marco’s pizza on the north side of the road. It’s hit or miss though. There are times where it didn’t work and didn’t give me money back.
I hit the same SB for ice too.

I now recall seeing that, but I’m west of Central and the $1 ice suits me just fine.  How much cheaper is it if you do the kiosk?   My parents live less than a mile from there and I am in that area way more often than I would like to be.

Edited by conVINCEd

I now recall seeing that, but I’m west of Central and the $1 ice suits me just fine.  How much cheaper is it if you do the kiosk?   My parents live less than a mile from there and I am in that area way more often than I would like to be.

IIRC, 16 lb bag for $2.50 or 20 lb loose for the same.
It’s minimal given gas prices these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My last couple Rudy’s trips have been inedible which is unfortunate because I generally agree with most of the sentiment in this thread. It lead me to trying the HEB BBQ, True Texas I think, and I gotta say it was certainly not bad. Sausage and ribs were real good and the brisket was significantly better than my recent Rudy’s trips. In SA the options are limited unless you go down to Pinkertons so you gotta take what you can get.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:28 PM, conVINCEd said:

Why the hell won't Rudy's build one that isn't in the BFE suburbs?  Does 10-50 achieve Rudy's level?

About the worse experience I have had with Rudy's is crumbly brisket, which is still damn tasty.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 5/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, DallasSooner said:

I can never find a boneless turkey breast.  I know that's what most bbq joints use, anyone know where to find them?

Always been hard for me to find also, so I'll grab the 3lb turkey breast roasts from HEB sometimes (all white breast meat). I'll do a 5hr-ish brine on them and season and smoke them still in the net-trussing. Turn out great every time. That's what I do for Thanksgiving now, too. 

On 5/20/2022 at 11:24 PM, hobbes2702 said:

It lead me to trying the HEB BBQ, True Texas I think, and I gotta say it was certainly not bad. Sausage and ribs were real good and the brisket was significantly better than my recent Rudy’s trips. 

I've been meaning to try one of those -- looks like there are 2 in Austin (Mueller & Slaughter locations).  Brisket is $20/lb, turkey is $17/lb.  Same at Rudys are $22-$24 (lean or moist brisket) and $20 (turkey).  Not enough to justify eating lesser Q but worth trying regardless.  If Rudy's is slipping then I am afflicted with sad.

For a while (and maybe still) the Whole Foods in The Domain had a BBQ kiosk.  They smoked on site.  It wasn't bad at all, but everything was the same price/lb, including sides (which was bizarre).