Texas BBQ

Washpark

Went on a barbecue run this morning - wanted to try something new to me in Austin.  Decided to try J. Leonardi's Barbecue on 11th.  Drive past Franklin and see a nice respectable line.  Missed J. Leonardi's on the first pass, then noticed no line, no waiting at Micklethwait's.  Stop at Micklethwait's and pick-up a 3 meat plate with moist brisket, pulled lamb, barbacoa, jalapeno cheese grits, and gouda smoked mac & cheese.  Drove back to J. Leonard's to find out they are closed until further notice.  Damn, I wanted to try something new.

Decided to head to Moreno's BBQ on Mechacha.  Sliced brisket taco, sliced pork belly taco with slaw, loaded baked potato with chopped brisket, banana pudding, shortbread chocolate cookies, and an Arnold Palmer.

No pictures because I got everything to-go.  Micklethwait's has never disappointed me.  Everything was spot on.  Very pleased with Moreno's as well.  Brisket taco with serrano salsa was awesome as was the pork belly taco.  Taco's are a perfect vehicle to sample different meats without purchasing by the pound.  Akaushi  Wagyu brisket was $32/pound and the Duroc pork belly was $25/pound.  Quarter pound of each on the tacos were the same price, $8 and $6.50 respectively, and you get homemade tortillas.  Haven't tried the desserts yet.  Need to save some room for a brisket taco from Valentina's tonight at the Austin FC game.

ETA:  Shortbread chocolate chip cookies are incredible. 

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Salt Lick has lost it's charm for me.  Way too big and busy these days, especially w/ the below par food being served.  I'll always remember the joy of being a broke college kid and eating like a king for $20, but going there doesn't bring me any of those memories, only annoyance of an hour wait in the heat, being packed in w/ a thousand tourists who think they're eating 5* cue while I cringe at every bite.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Mathis isnt that far

Butters is as close as you get to Hill Country/Cental Texas  style down here. Hoegemeyer's out by the Port is pretty good too, but has very limited hours is closed on Saturday.   Julians over by Del Mar is decent too.     After that it just drops off.    The old reliable Cottons is just not the same since it's orginal location burned down in Robstown.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Butters is as close as you get to Hill Country/Cental Texas  style down here. Hoegemeyer's out by the Port is pretty good too, but has very limited hours is closed on Saturday.   Julians over by Del Mar is decent too.     After that it just drops off.    The old reliable Cottons is just not the same since it's orginal location burned down in Robstown.   

Loved Cottons back in my days growing up in CC in the 60's.  Roys was also a regular stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Anything close to College Station worth checking out?

1775 Texas Pit BBQ.  I haven't been, but it made the TM 2019 Best New 25 and TM 2021 Honorable Mention.

A little farther out - Truth or LJ's in Brenham, Brett's Backyard in Rockdale, Blue Moon Barbecue in Hearne.

Fargo's in Bryan is not very good.

• Hook 'Em 2

Friend of mine happened into the Thorndale Meat Market on 79 a few weeks ago and was really impressed.  I don't know if I can vouch for his BBQ opinions 100% other than to say that he has eaten at LaBBQ and, thus, has had very good BBQ before.  If he's right, 79 is turning into a nice little trail of meats.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jive Turkey said:

new hours at Zavala's in Grand Prairie.  i'll be making a lot more weekend trips.  never had an issue getting brisket right before closing when i've gone on Friday nights.  definitely worth a trip for anybody in DFW on a weekend.

Side note: Joe rules

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

1775 Texas Pit BBQ.  I haven't been, but it made the TM 2019 Best New 25 and TM 2021 Honorable Mention.

A little farther out - Truth or LJ's in Brenham, Brett's Backyard in Rockdale, Blue Moon Barbecue in Hearne.

Fargo's in Bryan is not very good.

This.  Fargo's is awful.

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Friend of mine happened into the Thorndale Meat Market on 79 a few weeks ago and was really impressed.  I don't know if I can vouch for his BBQ opinions 100% other than to say that he has eaten at LaBBQ and, thus, has had very good BBQ before.  If he's right, 79 is turning into a nice little trail of meats.

I went there a few years ago and was marginally impressed with the food but highly impressed with the food for the prices.  Back then, I got a three meat plate for $18 and one of the meats was a beef rib.  Not sure if that is available any longer or not.  I may take a trip out there this Saturday.  I've been wanting to go back to the meat market - they do their own dry-aged ribeyes that I'd like to try.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I went there a few years ago and was marginally impressed with the food but highly impressed with the food for the prices.  Back then, I got a three meat plate for $18 and one of the meats was a beef rib.  Not sure if that is available any longer or not.  I may take a trip out there this Saturday.  I've been wanting to go back to the meat market - they do their own dry-aged ribeyes that I'd like to try.  

He mentioned it was super reasonable.  So that probably factored into it. 

6 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

he is such a super cool dude.  

Great q and the sloppy juan is awesome. But I dont think he's making his own tortillas and wherever he's getting them from, they are very avg. 

Made a trip to Thorndale Meat Market today. Got a three meat plate for $21 ‐ brisket, pork ribs, pork steak, slaw, and Brussel sprouts.

Good was really good, especially for the price. Plate had over a half pound of brisket, three baby back ribs, and probably a third pound of pork steak.

Will certainly stop in there again and would eat there all the time if it were just down the road.

No dry-aged ribeyes because the cold smoker is down. Picked up a couple 44 Farms prime ribeyes.

4cd9c9b27286f12f1014da01054b67bf.jpg4dd3a084f50afd465186ed150dd2306c.jpgb3749f5b94d0b4d8ff5f682d63859937.jpga127001c6b4afb3d652b3dbb30622426.jpg919040dc91ab2e7b6387e62914172567.jpg

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:
Took some Californians to Helberg and was halfway through the meal when I realized that I could've taken them to Dickey's for half the price and they wouldn't have known any better.

Yes, but you appreciated the barbecue and that's what really counts.

Truth and it was good as always.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Made a trip to Thorndale Meat Market today. Got a three meat plate for $21 ‐ brisket, pork ribs, pork steak, slaw, and Brussel sprouts.

Good was really good, especially for the price. Plate had over a half pound of brisket, three baby back ribs, and probably a third pound of pork steak.

Will certainly stop in there again and would eat there all the time if it were just down the road.

No dry-aged ribeyes because the cold smoker is down. Picked up a couple 44 Farms prime ribeyes.

4cd9c9b27286f12f1014da01054b67bf.jpg4dd3a084f50afd465186ed150dd2306c.jpgb3749f5b94d0b4d8ff5f682d63859937.jpga127001c6b4afb3d652b3dbb30622426.jpg919040dc91ab2e7b6387e62914172567.jpg

this place is legit, especially for the money 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, dcbc said:

This place is great and at a very affordable price. 

Get the pork loin if you go here. 

• Like 1

Convenience West is not top 50. Sorry. Their brisket was pretty average, ribs were fine, but turkey moist & on point. Sides were extremely underwhelming. Banana pecan ice box pie was 10/10. 

Sorry no pics. Rained in Marfa yesterday afternoon so we had to take it back to the hotel. 

Convenience West is not top 50. Sorry. Their brisket was pretty average, ribs were fine, but turkey moist & on point. Sides were extremely underwhelming. Banana pecan ice box pie was 10/10. 
Sorry no pics. Rained in Marfa yesterday afternoon so we had to take it back to the hotel. 

Shame… I dig their sauce as a standard.

Head on over to the Marfa Spirits Co. to drown your sorrows and tell Seth I said HI if you see him!

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This place is great and at a very affordable price. .

Get the pork loin if you go here. 

I'm really surprised at those prices, considering I just dropped $50 at Heim here in FW for two sliced brisket sammiches, two sides, and one soft drink.  Will make a point of stopping here next time I'm down that way

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Hoegemeyer's hours are weird

13 hours ago, pronghorn said:

what is the best one to get shipped / mailed? we have been gone from texas now 3 months and have a craving for decent Q. Willing to pay up and throw a party to justify the cost of shipping, min order size, etc.

12 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Franklin also ships, have yet to try to do so but have done Snow’s.  

Big family gathering yesterday in Round Rock, early celebration of my parent's 60th wedding anniversary-August 25th.  Parents are doing pretty well, both can walk and talk well, just a little bit of repeating stuff. .

Poke-Jo's is my dad's favorite.  Normally I don't think much of them, but they came through big time yesterday.  Brisket, pork ribs and sausage.  Everybody agreed the pork ribs was the winner.  We got the biggest container of bar-be-cue sauce ever, basically a little plastic bucket.  didn't need but a tiny bit of bbq sauce. 

• Like 1