Texas BBQ

Washpark

Anybody up in Frisco planning on checking out the new HEB that is opening today???  There's a BBQ joint inside to check out
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2022/09/20/bbq-at-h-e-b-inside-the-only-true-texas-bbq-in-north-texas/

Will check it out when shit settles down. Very good BBQ at the Crest Cadillac dealership up here so why not HEB?

18 hours ago, TexPx said:

Will check it out when shit settles down. Very good BBQ at the Crest Cadillac dealership up here so why not HEB?

Man I've heard the commercials and some talk on the car dealership BBQ joint. So it's legit huh?

That HEB was nuts yesterday from all reports.  When they open the one in North Plano hopefully that will help settle down the folks a little bit. BBQ Snob said it's getting a BBQ joint in it also. 

Man I've heard the commercials and some talk on the car dealership BBQ joint. So it's legit huh?

That HEB was nuts yesterday from all reports.  When they open the one in North Plano hopefully that will help settle down the folks a little bit. BBQ Snob said it's getting a BBQ joint in it also. 

Earnest B’s is in the dealership. Haven’t been since he moved there but have eaten at his food truck. Ribs were definitely legit.

Heading into town with my son next weekend for the game. I haven’t been to Austin in about 7 years (busy, work, etc.)

Be there around 10:30, going to the game, going to breakfast the next morning and then heading out. Suggestions? Doesn’t necessarily have to be bbq but wouldn’t mind.

Also, any good breakfast places in south Austin anyone would recommend?

13 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Heading into town with my son next weekend for the game. I haven’t been to Austin in about 7 years (busy, work, etc.)

Be there around 10:30, going to the game, going to breakfast the next morning and then heading out. Suggestions? Doesn’t necessarily have to be bbq but wouldn’t mind.

Also, any good breakfast places in south Austin anyone would recommend?

Valentina's.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/lockhart-has-new-bbq-family-feud/

As a new location of Terry Black’s Barbecue opened its doors in Lockhart this month, a battle raged on—in the form of quippy signs—with Black’s Barbecue.

This is a black eye on the Texas bbq community.

I'll be here all night. Please tip your waitresses.

44 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Today I learned that Henry James reads southern living. I can’t wait to see what recipes he has in store for us at the next Surly potluck.

I still have the recipe for catfish lafitte on an index card that my mom gave me when I left for college.  It was one of my favorite things. She got the recipe from Southern Living.  From a place on the square in Oxford, MS, which I thankfully got to experience once in person before they closed.

• Like 1

So, if ya' find yourself headed East on I 10 outta Houston and get hungry, stop off at Gator Junction BBQ Exit 811.  For 6 bucks and change I got a sausage wrap and glass of tea.

I have yet to explore the rest of the menu, but for 6 dolla meal, it will fill the hole.

20220824_120658.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

So, if ya' find yourself headed East on I 10 outta Houston and get hungry, stop off at Gator Junction BBQ Exit 811.  For 6 bucks and change I got a sausage wrap and glass of tea.

I have yet to explore the rest of the menu, but for 6 dolla meal, it will fill the hole.

20220824_120658.jpg

Lake Charles stop ....

Sonnier's Sausage & Boudin

1217 Mill St, Lake Charles, LA 70601
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nice looking tray from Stiles Switch today - moist brisket, pork ribs, turkey, jalapeño cheddar sausage, slaw, and corn casserole. Unfortunately, looks can be deceiving. Brisket was okay, but bark was lacking. Pork ribs tasted great, but overcooked. Best thing on the tray was the sausage.

There's a reason they failed to make the TM Top 50 this time around. Most of the time, it's a pretty good meal. This trip was disappointing.

399343c57139a4d878a56675e55adb19.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The South's Top 50 Barbecue Joints (southernliving.com)

46. Hurtado

45. Truth

43. Blood Bros.

39. Burnt Bean

34. Valentina's

33. Leroy and Leis

29. Killen's

26. Kreuz

17. Smitty's

13. Tejas

12. Cattleack

10. Lewis in Charleston

6. Franklin

5. Goldee's

3. Louie Mueller

2. Snow's

truth @ 45 

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mittens said:

@HenryJames where is KG?  I know he was doing pop ups and then shut it down for a bit and then saw a post of him peeling protective plastic off of new stainless equip, which I assumed was a new trailer.  Would love to try his food.

He’s at Oddwood Ales on Manor and Airport on the weekends now.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

In a town with literally 20-30 incredible bbq places, why do yall keep going to Stiles Switch…. Jfc

Well, it's certainly not bad, and the fact that it's open for dinner sets it apart to some degree.

I had a truly glorious beef rib there.  I was comatose for 24 hours afterward, but it was fantastic.

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

In a town with literally 20-30 incredible bbq places, why do yall keep going to Stiles Switch…. Jfc

Other than this recent visit, I've always been pleased with my meal.  It's usually not a bad stop - good barbecue, short/no wait, close to other errands.  I usually go on Saturday at lunch and most incredible barbecue places have too long to wait for a casual lunch.  I'd much prefer Interstellar, but I don't have time to wait an hour or an hour and a half on most Saturdays.  I contemplated Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville, but it would have added an hour to the lunch with travel and waiting. 

If I want incredible barbecue on Saturday, I'll plan a two or three hour window for travel and waiting.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it's certainly not bad, and the fact that it's open for dinner sets it apart to some degree.

I had a truly glorious beef rib there.  I was comatose for 24 hours afterward, but it was fantastic.

I should have ordered the beef rib.  Watching a video about Goldee's cooking beef ribs Saturday morning what started the barbecue for lunch though.  Beef ribs are so easy to make at home, I hate to spend $29 per pound at a barbecue joint.  I'm going to make a rack next weekend.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Beef ribs are so easy to make at home, I hate to spend $29 per pound at a barbecue joint.  I'm going to make a rack next weekend.

Yeah, dino ribs are about $9/lb at HEB, so accounting for loss, maybe $13/lb?  What temp do you pull them at?  Can't take too long.  Might be a good gameday halftime lunch on Saturday.

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, dino ribs are about $9/lb at HEB, so accounting for loss, maybe $13/lb?  What temp do you pull them at?  Can't take too long.  Might be a good gameday halftime lunch on Saturday.

I did some this weekend.  5.5 to 6 hours at 300.  Spritzed with ACV around 5 hours.  Turned out just OK.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't temp beef ribs.  Put them on at 275-285, don't look at them for 5 hours, spritz periodically, pull, wrap, and rest when they probe done (6-8 hours depending on the size of the rack).  

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't temp beef ribs.  Put them on at 275-285, don't look at them for 5 hours, spritz periodically, pull, wrap, and rest when they probe done (6-8 hours depending on the size of the rack).  

That works too.  I cook a little hotter and leave them alone for as long as possible.

the BBQ is pretty good honestly. BBQSnob called it the best chain BBQ in Texas a few years ago, and I think I agree

Went last week to that Frisco location via the drive-thru and got a chopped brisket sammich. It was solid but not great. The mac n cheese side was good. Got gyped on my big red though. So much ice and hardly and red liquid diabetes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Couple fried brisket videos on YT, results look kind of terrible, I would expect it to be chewy as fuck.

Guga did one where he confited it for a long while and it turned out well, I'd imagine similar to the LeroyLewis beef cheeks confit. Now if you smoked brisket and then thick sliced and katsu fried it using light breadcrumb like Japanese katsu, it might be amazing...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1