Texas BBQ

Washpark

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Y’all slap dicks can argue about the #2 bbq spot in Texas, because bbq doesn’t get any better than Truth !

Agred and was just there thursday but two things:

1) I can't do that for dinner cuz I'm 47 and starting to get indigestion.  Must be lunch for me.

2) how are you going to disrepekt the tater casserole like that? 

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Agred and was just there thursday but two things:

1) I can't do that for dinner cuz I'm 47 and starting to get indigestion.  Must be lunch for me.

2) how are you going to disrepekt the tater casserole like that? 

Their side game is very strong and their cakes are damn good

Edited by tx 3 putt

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Since Smitty's has taken a turn for the worst, Louie Mueller's is my favorite in central Texas.  Well, the world.

i personally am 0/4 on trips to LM - every time i have been it's been below average, horribly cut, way over cooked, etc. i know people LOVE LM and that includes a ton of folks i know and trust on BBQ, i just have never had an even somewhat positive experience there. ambiance? awesome. BBQ? never would go back again.

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t care what other place you name but Snows is the temple, ground zero, pinnacle, epitome, the model for Texas barbecue.

Meh, Truth beats the brakes offa Snows and you dont have to wait in  line. Their trinity is better, their ordering system is better, they dont use steamer trays, they have better desserts, two locations, and free beer.

but if you are talking pork steaks, maybe. Snows is teetering and in the next 5-10 years will be just like all of the other 2nd world joints. Luling, coopers, salt lick, smittys, prause, blacks, etc. snows is headed there

On 12/18/2022 at 8:26 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Meh, Truth beats the brakes offa Snows and you dont have to wait in  line. Their trinity is better, their ordering system is better, they dont use steamer trays, they have better desserts, two locations, and free beer.

but if you are talking pork steaks, maybe. Snows is teetering and in the next 5-10 years will be just like all of the other 2nd world joints. Luling, coopers, salt lick, smittys, prause, blacks, etc. snows is headed there

I love Snows, but they never should have ever been #1 over Franklin and while they are an amazing place and we all love Tootsie they are not as consistent as Truth nor as good as Truth - nor were they as good or consistent as Franklin. When you are looking for the whole picture of a cool ass experience in a cool place with really good bBQ? Sure. I used to drive 4 hours to Snows, wait in line, eat, then drive back 4 hours. Now, you have to get there at like 4 AM or wait hours and hours in line. Glad that Tootsie, Kerry, Clay, etc are all making money but that's ridiculous to wait that long..

I highly highly highly doubt the drop to the Smittys, Salt Lick, etc level of quality unless Kerry, Clay, etc all walk away. As long as they are open 1 day a week they will continue to be very good. Just not on the same level as the top Craft BBQ spots. For example, has Snows bumped up to Prime? I know when they were #1 they were the only one in the top 10 NOT using Prime.

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would like to try Snows but there is no way I am getting there at 4am. I understand the draw and the respect for Tootsie, but to hell with that. I’ll just go to Truth, Tejas, 1701, Reese Bros, Burnt Bean, etc.

you think Reese Bros is in the same tier as those dudes?

damn, i need to get there ASAP

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would like to try Snows but there is no way I am getting there at 4am. I understand the draw and the respect for Tootsie, but to hell with that. I’ll just go to Truth, Tejas, 1701, Reese Bros, Burnt Bean, etc.

#1 quit being a pussy

#2 do it 

#3 I’ll meet you after you go through the line. So buy plenty 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Most of my bbq consumption is Truth but I hit up Pinkertons, Feges, and Rudy's out of convenience sometimes.  Today, had to be near 290 and beltway so went to Rudy's.

Credit where credit is due as I expected a normal 7 out of 10 type meal.  They went Rice vs UT in 1994 and it was a 9 today.  Guess someone bought a better side of beef or added more wood on accident or something cuz shit was tasty.

Pickings were slim by the time I got my hungover ass out of bed this morning, but what was left certainly hit the mark.

Both the pepper Jack sausage and turkey were outstanding! Old boy snuck some burnt ends in there as well, which were fine but pretty tough.

Mac and beans both slammed and I’ll be back for more. 8ae87f5d46168efd21ef4eedc730c8d8.jpg

6876158d53a202b9eef4049e9dcadd42.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1