Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Pickings were slim by the time I got my hungover ass out of bed this morning, but what was left certainly hit the mark.

Both the pepper Jack sausage and turkey were outstanding! Old boy snuck some burnt ends in there as well, which were fine but pretty tough.

Mac and beans both slammed and I’ll be back for more. 8ae87f5d46168efd21ef4eedc730c8d8.jpg

6876158d53a202b9eef4049e9dcadd42.jpg

I see you finally made it to Texas. I think Israelites moved out of Egypt faster than you moved from Maryland to Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Pickings were slim by the time I got my hungover ass out of bed this morning, but what was left certainly hit the mark.

Both the pepper Jack sausage and turkey were outstanding! Old boy snuck some burnt ends in there as well, which were fine but pretty tough.

Mac and beans both slammed and I’ll be back for more. 8ae87f5d46168efd21ef4eedc730c8d8.jpg

6876158d53a202b9eef4049e9dcadd42.jpg

there burnt ends are sooooo damn good !

Edited by tx 3 putt

Pit room is excellent and those chicken tacos. Get the cherry pie 

I wouldn’t say excellent. Been there maybe 6-7 times and most visits were really good. I agree the tacos are good.

Feges brisket is good, not great. Their sausage is meh. My last visit I got a sliced brisket sandwich. The put the absolute minimum amount of meat on it that could be passed off as a sandwich. I have had better sandwiches at Big Bertha BBQ on 529.

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I wouldn’t say excellent. Been there maybe 6-7 times and most visits were really good. I agree the tacos are good.

Feges brisket is good, not great. Their sausage is meh. My last visit I got a sliced brisket sandwich. The put the absolute minimum amount of meat on it that could be passed off as a sandwich. I have had better sandwiches at Big Bertha BBQ on 529.

I go to the one in Greenway on occasion because it is close to my office.  They tend to give you the bare minimum.  I get that meat (and everything) is expensive right now, but being chintzy isn't the way to keep people coming back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I go to the one in Greenway on occasion because it is close to my office.  They tend to give you the bare minimum.  I get that meat (and everything) is expensive right now, but being chintzy isn't the way to keep people coming back.

so you are complaining that you order 1 lb of brisket and you get...1 lb of brisket exactly vs them throwing more on?

if you want them to throw more on, be a regular.

being overly generous with every order, and throwing an extra tenth of a pound of brisket on everyone's tray or an extra half scoop of mac & cheese is how you go out of business QUICKLY.

so you are complaining that you order 1 lb of brisket and you get...1 lb of brisket exactly vs them throwing more on?
if you want them to throw more on, be a regular.
being overly generous with every order, and throwing an extra tenth of a pound of brisket on everyone's tray or an extra half scoop of mac & cheese is how you go out of business QUICKLY.

I’m not sure if he is talking about paying by wright or not, but I was talking about a sandwich with a pathetic amount of meat. Compared to other Houston places it was embarrassing.

If I am paying by weight, I only expect to get what I ask for. If they go over, ok too. If they weigh it and throw a bunch of burnt ends my way, even better.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Barbecue joints have a lot of leeway when it comes to sandwiches.  I've gotten sandwiches that were so stuffed with meat that you could make a second meal with what falls out (Liberty Barbecue & Stiles Switch) and sandwiches that are so thin they only have one side (SLAB BBQ).  A fifteen dollar sandwich should be stuffed, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not sure if he is talking about paying by wright or not, but I was talking about a sandwich with a pathetic amount of meat. Compared to other Houston places it was embarrassing.

If I am paying by weight, I only expect to get what I ask for. If they go over, ok too. If they weigh it and throw a bunch of burnt ends my way, even better.

ok i feel a lot better about it then, sorry to the OP!

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Barbecue joints have a lot of leeway when it comes to sandwiches.  I've gotten sandwiches that were so stuffed with meat that you could make a second meal with what falls out (Liberty Barbecue & Stiles Switch) and sandwiches that are so thin they only have one side (SLAB BBQ).  A fifteen dollar sandwich should be stuffed, IMHO.

Yeah, based on current brisket prices it should probably have close to a half-pound of meat on it.  Bread cost is minimal.

Of course, if the sandwich servings at a place are wimpy, and you really want a sandwich there, you could just order a half-pound of brisket and have them throw in the bread, pickles, and onions for free like most places do.  Then make your own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Correct.  I am not talking about by the pound.  More about plates and sammiches.  If I get a 2 meat plate for $25, I don’t want two slices of each.

Challenge anyone to find a better BBQ sandwich value than Brown BBQ's large sausage & brisket sammich.  $14 and I usually have to take a slice or two of brisket off to eat it.

El Jefe from Tender Smokehouse is pretty good.
Pulled pork, brisket, sausage, bbq beans on Texas Toast with a rib on the side. $15
7ade113ba287652f1ea79547e0a907e0.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, Armybrat said:

Mrs.Brat & I split a Smokey Mo’s chopped beef baker this afternoon. (Hold the sour cream) 

Pretty darn big, but very tasty.

01CED070-1C79-4A5A-BFAD-A97DD97F5414.jpeg

visiting the parents for thanksgiving my sister asked me if i wanted to get some bbq for lunch.  it was black friday so i figured anywhere good might not be open but i said ok anyway.  she drove to smoky mo's.  decent line inside, step up and order sliced brisket and sausage, maybe some other stuff.  she got a sandwich.  i get my order and sit down.  i proceed to try to cut my brisket with a fork - no go.  fork and knife?  not really.  picked the slice up, put it in my teeth, and had to pull, hard, to get a bite. 

at this point my sister sits down, picks up her sandwich, and tries to take a bite.  i look at her, struggling, and she spits out the bread she was able to bite off.  i tell her it wasn't cooked.  she agrees. 

later that day, she left a review of smokey mo's saying the brisket was undercooked.  smokey mo's responded that the pink you see in the brisket is the smoke ring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, elfenix said:

visiting the parents for thanksgiving my sister asked me if i wanted to get some bbq for lunch.  it was black friday so i figured anywhere good might not be open but i said ok anyway.  she drove to smoky mo's.  decent line inside, step up and order sliced brisket and sausage, maybe some other stuff.  she got a sandwich.  i get my order and sit down.  i proceed to try to cut my brisket with a fork - no go.  fork and knife?  not really.  picked the slice up, put it in my teeth, and had to pull, hard, to get a bite. 

at this point my sister sits down, picks up her sandwich, and tries to take a bite.  i look at her, struggling, and she spits out the bread she was able to bite off.  i tell her it wasn't cooked.  she agrees. 

later that day, she left a review of smokey mo's saying the brisket was undercooked.  smokey mo's responded that the pink you see in the brisket is the smoke ring. 

this is the quality content I'm signed up for !

Took the sheet metal shop boys to Truth today.  Made a strong showing with 2 odors of the Texas Trinity platters.   They had never been and loved it.   

Saved [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] a rib for his Christmas stocking.  
FA649880-E0CB-4FD6-B1C0-5D916C09679F.thumb.jpeg.0ea3f93cc91202db1c7360188615a0d6.jpeg
21A4AEF0-6F50-46FF-A742-17D17A039991.thumb.jpeg.d641f2767a2946f668c306bc2ab75f48.jpeg

Extremely jealous that was available when you went… I’ll prioritize better when next in H-town

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Switch the other day cause it’s close and fast…

Brisket - Went with the moist and came away with two 75% fat pieces, not great

Ribs - Well seasoned but WAY over cooked

Sausage - They had a pepper Jack that slammed. Good snap and moist as all hell

Sides solid but nothing to write home about…

I gotta find something better in central Austin but at this point I may save my BBQ for weekend haunts to L&L. Anyone else central with recommendations?

47 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I gotta find something better in central Austin but at this point I may save my BBQ for weekend haunts to L&L. Anyone else central with recommendations?

bill miller 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

L&L is more central than Stiles Switch and I have rarely seen a line there on the weekdays.

to be fair it's also significantly better BBQ.

i am not a guy who shits on SS, it is solid, but 100/100 times I am going to L&L if that is an option.

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Sure, but it’s also south of the river, so that’s not a “I’ve got 30 mins to snag lunch” situation. If it was as close as SS I would be there at least once a week.

this makes sense

14 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

You could go to the eastside and hit Micklethwait Craft Meats, B. Coopers Barbecue, la Barbecue, or Rollin Smoke BBQ without crossing the river.  Or a little farther north and hit Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.

• Like 1