Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 6/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, TexasGary said:

Speaking of Hurtado, had a soft opening today at the new Little Elm location.  It is next to Hula Hut.  We got the El Hefe plus an extra 1/2 lb of Brisket and Ribs.  This was outstanding.  Will definitely be going back.

image.thumb.jpeg.70fbc742a6b7e9feb26ca8c7a14fe8c3.jpeg

And just like that....................RIP Hurtado BBQ in Little Elm.  Arlington and Fort Worth will continue to operate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tough to see any place close but that was a tough location.  If you never been the front of the building faced the road and all the parking was in the rear.  I'm not sure about Ft. Worth location but this one had a bar (Arlington doesn't) and someone said that Frisco/Little Elm made them be open 7 days a week.  Is that a thing?  You can force a business to be open a certain number of days?  This location also didn't cut food in front of you and for some reason that's the kind of joint I like.  I prefer my food being sliced, etc.   Only been out to the Arlington location once and everything I tried was 10/10.  

My trip to Little Elm wasn't as impressive.  I just think it was a bad spot.   There's a Hula Hut right down the road and it doesn't seem to be super busy when I have driven by. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Went to FW location a month ago for lunch, $30 later and some very meh to bad sausage, decent brisket, awful Mac/cheese while being out of bread and pickles assured that I won’t be going back. 

Haven't been to 8th avenue and likely won't bother based on your review.  Arlington location has been solid every visit.

And just like that....................RIP Hurtado BBQ in Little Elm.  Arlington and Fort Worth will continue to operate.

I always question any change a successful pitmaster does from adding dinner service to a adding a menu item. Adding a location is a geometrical increase in issues. Looks like Brandon hit a wall. I can’t imagine Ft Worth can be doing a profitable business. That’s a shit location that just drove Derek Allen out of the bbq biz.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I always question any change a successful pitmaster does from adding dinner service to a adding a menu item. Adding a location is a geometrical increase in issues. Looks like Brandon hit a wall. I can’t imagine Ft Worth can be doing a profitable business. That’s a shit location that just drove Derek Allen out of the bbq biz.

i think it totally depends on where they are and their setup for dinner service.

local t50 spot added dinner service but very little on the dinner menu is traditional BBQ. they are able to use leftovers on things like loaded fries or other specials and use their trimmings for brisket burgers. they also do smoked half chickens, because that's easy and they can increase price by 50% by adding sides.

new locations are HARD. 2x pit space (+ new pits), 2x employees (+new employees), requiring 2x product (more cost.) locations are hard to find, because you can't be too close to your original location so you don't cannibalize your existing business - but can't be too far away because you have to be there in person some.

at the same time it's also really, really hard to turn down investor money, especially when it's big money like what's happening to 2M out in Castroville or what Hurtado or even Heim did with additional locations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pch said:

Haven't been to 8th avenue and likely won't bother based on your review.  Arlington location has been solid every visit.

arlington wasnt that great the 2-3 times i went.  at least compared to zavala and panther city.

hit up brix this weekend.  got a beef rib, mix of brisket, elotes, and a jalapeno sausage link.  sausage was the only thing i would go back for.  brisket was d+.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

arlington wasnt that great the 2-3 times i went.  at least compared to zavala and panther city.

hit up brix this weekend.  got a beef rib, mix of brisket, elotes, and a jalapeno sausage link.  sausage was the only thing i would go back for.  brisket was d+.

Haven't had zavala or brix but do love Panther City, especially the ribs.

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't keep track of which Black's is Black's (or maybe they all are), but I don't think Austin (Barton Springs) is as good as Lockhart.  And maybe they aren't both Terry.  I don't know.

"Terry Blacks" as far as i know is in Austin, Dallas and soon Waco.  They are members of the family but are estranged from the original Blacks BBQ.

I haven't had a bad meal at Terry Blacks yet. Ate in Austin once and several times in Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Terry Black's in Austin has been good every time I've been there.  Especially for being an actual restaurant with an actual dining room and actual dining service hours throughout the day.

I haven't been to any Terry Black's locations in any other cities.

Black's in Lockhart is my favorite of the old guard and honestly, at this point, it's the only one I'd bother with in Lockhart.  For years and years Smitty's was my favorite by far, but the final couple of trips there, the brisket was just dried out shoe leather.  Absolutely terrible.  And Kreuz seems more like a BBQ-themed tourist place than anything else these days.

Edited by utee94

i think it totally depends on where they are and their setup for dinner service.
local t50 spot added dinner service but very little on the dinner menu is traditional BBQ. they are able to use leftovers on things like loaded fries or other specials and use their trimmings for brisket burgers. they also do smoked half chickens, because that's easy and they can increase price by 50% by adding sides.
new locations are HARD. 2x pit space (+ new pits), 2x employees (+new employees), requiring 2x product (more cost.) locations are hard to find, because you can't be too close to your original location so you don't cannibalize your existing business - but can't be too far away because you have to be there in person some.
at the same time it's also really, really hard to turn down investor money, especially when it's big money like what's happening to 2M out in Castroville or what Hurtado or even Heim did with additional locations.

Barbecue is the hardest category to make money with in dining. Outrageous food costs exacerbated by selling at cooked weight vs precooked like burgers, high labor costs, high fuel costs, food waste expense, etc. makes margins a challenge.

As a Texan that grew up in Memphis I have a fascination with the business of bbq as much as the product. I’m amazed how pitmasters can coax consistent product from crazy differences from one brisket or shoulder to another and make 20 of them a day every day.

Many of these guys started in competition, or in their backyard, and then a trailer. Every step in their evolution often is a totally new challenge, hence their usual failure with the second or third location. Typically they aren’t good delegators.

Take that 8th Avenue location formerly of Derek Allen’s and now of Hurtado. Derek made fine barbecue that competed at a level equal to Heim and Panther City. It’s a shit location that should be a great one but just isn’t. He added dinner service. He then added breakfast hoping to add revenue. It just burned him out. I hope Brandon can make it work.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

"Terry Blacks" as far as i know is in Austin, Dallas and soon Waco.  They are members of the family but are estranged from the original Blacks BBQ.

I haven't had a bad meal at Terry Blacks yet. Ate in Austin once and several times in Dallas. 

The one in New Braunfels is for sucks.

But I'm not sure if that's a Black's or Terry Black's.  I think it's the former.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:56 AM, Dry Elbows said:

Agree about the difficulties associated with two locations.  Truth rotates employees between Houston and Brenham to try and make sure quality is consistent between locations.

Yeah, the main dude who serves at Truth Houston has told me he works a good amount in Brenham.  It's all side chit-chat while he is handling my meat (wat) but I've always wanted to ask....does Truth house you while there?  Reimburse you for time and gas for driving?  Etc etc

Headed to Bartlett, TX from Dallas on Saturday.  Any recommendations around there for BBQ?  Taylor is 17 miles south but we will be hauling a livestock trailer and not sure they are gonna want to go down there and back after loading.  Anything else special in the area?  We very well might end up at LM, but just looking at othe options.  I know Miller in Belton and Guess/Helberg in Waco are on the way back.   Thoughts?

On 2/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, NoName said:

Hadn’t heard about Castroville, and I’m originally from there. Of course, I left when I was 18 and I’ve spent the last 20+ years away (only go back for holidays and don’t stay long). 

16 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Headed to Bartlett, TX from Dallas on Saturday.  Any recommendations around there for BBQ?  Taylor is 17 miles south but we will be hauling a livestock trailer and not sure they are gonna want to go down there and back after loading.  Anything else special in the area?  We very well might end up at LM, but just looking at othe options.  I know Miller in Belton and Guess/Helberg in Waco are on the way back.   Thoughts?

Hellberg...definitely.  beef ribs on Saturday.  last time i was there on a Saturday went like this...

7t8SX5bb0u35TVtkSS4mixI-3PBrZfPsd-zO8juIfshvD9WLL7h-xlHo-M3A9ryWGwCwx9AYxneZDiz72S-T1VAnjawQdP9aZ6Q-IoGLQcrTDUEEPuqmD2rWML1LMII46zFDRG4ZOfHUNcFdVpmSeUZVaVg_9YjTwAi2lqqf5gt7FWvffX4mFwFUN6ZFnjbDqbbhnprRMu97Yuf6V_t2baOjO3kBI0C7zOR1G3Zhs0UOW26l_BE23U7x4dDkeX_1lYlEEV1JShHWHz3nNDtD_hFUkBmfpaW0ov9i_JDjzg0MXrl9zTSSfIVh52E8Yy4bI1thPf9Znlecr7ktP4FYHvE5xJTZZeO11_YgmiTWJTipjFKoYaQSqnYbm3St7ZzJrQlKyfiGm1hS3wDUNRCP6Q8QLBEeinnkZ6UBi4_GMjtHTLpJSN6yEp7-qUbUhFJIYDAwqnJqxn00hT5q3q1yjM852vDCChG8WkZNa_njvd-8NhAiRPz_SoDdSaFXpdMymMQVKgOH6WoL3Q4bymh5jK941yi_4L15xVv1WAjiUVy6Yulw7vZmrCOjN91UfomnwWlxhvspD2m2qcwimqe4PJISgjow85L19PYhG_woi6UoSQR9MvOTEsRo5DXluqg9WdjP36uEnNDjE-Bcp4W3xBjc2cD9_N5C40ax0f1TNbUUu1otcm4mXrIEbCImKJPA6GKk4qzlqaSrBfkMNw5ZtcE8wR6H9xPyiLnMHJiXbrg3M5nO48NUIdqzNTJgfHYMaUUmb_3uSCxwtjM0x77il-D5RNh9RzjORp4E_ntpADYgR5h7pB4hX5EzwXJR7AXHx5JokIRJjgYmfufSsYZ8SvQYC5Wxu2ie5SRPkgAIuFJQ2EinGgLGIwAYTlNKIOW20sQlUVxXU0IHzPjcgZLbrTbDGApepKnqeDsv25Vp14gR=w1303-h937-s-no?authuser=0

skip Guess...hate to say it but it's dropping.  something's going on there and i can't quite figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

How did these yahoos not learn from the Blacks situation?

If it's not going to be a joint partnership with the son that owns the naming rights to the brand then just call it "Roy Hutchins BBQ" and somewhere you can write "the Founder of Hutchins BBQ". 

They must like fighting and donating money to lawyers. 

Edited by Hermanator

12 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Hellberg...definitely.  beef ribs on Saturday.  last time i was there on a Saturday went like this...

7t8SX5bb0u35TVtkSS4mixI-3PBrZfPsd-zO8juIfshvD9WLL7h-xlHo-M3A9ryWGwCwx9AYxneZDiz72S-T1VAnjawQdP9aZ6Q-IoGLQcrTDUEEPuqmD2rWML1LMII46zFDRG4ZOfHUNcFdVpmSeUZVaVg_9YjTwAi2lqqf5gt7FWvffX4mFwFUN6ZFnjbDqbbhnprRMu97Yuf6V_t2baOjO3kBI0C7zOR1G3Zhs0UOW26l_BE23U7x4dDkeX_1lYlEEV1JShHWHz3nNDtD_hFUkBmfpaW0ov9i_JDjzg0MXrl9zTSSfIVh52E8Yy4bI1thPf9Znlecr7ktP4FYHvE5xJTZZeO11_YgmiTWJTipjFKoYaQSqnYbm3St7ZzJrQlKyfiGm1hS3wDUNRCP6Q8QLBEeinnkZ6UBi4_GMjtHTLpJSN6yEp7-qUbUhFJIYDAwqnJqxn00hT5q3q1yjM852vDCChG8WkZNa_njvd-8NhAiRPz_SoDdSaFXpdMymMQVKgOH6WoL3Q4bymh5jK941yi_4L15xVv1WAjiUVy6Yulw7vZmrCOjN91UfomnwWlxhvspD2m2qcwimqe4PJISgjow85L19PYhG_woi6UoSQR9MvOTEsRo5DXluqg9WdjP36uEnNDjE-Bcp4W3xBjc2cD9_N5C40ax0f1TNbUUu1otcm4mXrIEbCImKJPA6GKk4qzlqaSrBfkMNw5ZtcE8wR6H9xPyiLnMHJiXbrg3M5nO48NUIdqzNTJgfHYMaUUmb_3uSCxwtjM0x77il-D5RNh9RzjORp4E_ntpADYgR5h7pB4hX5EzwXJR7AXHx5JokIRJjgYmfufSsYZ8SvQYC5Wxu2ie5SRPkgAIuFJQ2EinGgLGIwAYTlNKIOW20sQlUVxXU0IHzPjcgZLbrTbDGApepKnqeDsv25Vp14gR=w1303-h937-s-no?authuser=0

skip Guess...hate to say it but it's dropping.  something's going on there and i can't quite figure it out.

Completely agree on Guess. I was hoping it was a one off, but it’s been off the last few times I’ve been there. Their best food was in the trailer.

Tried a new place for me. I think they have been open less than a year. Called Brisket and Rice located at 529 and N Eldridge.

Both the brisket and the sausage were excellent and I definitely will be going back. Sausage is beef and jalapeño and had a nice kick. Whenever I go to a new joint I always order too much sausage because I don’t know if they serve them by the link. I fucked up haha. Also, they have brisket fried rice. I’ll try it next time. Had some at Blood Bros that was very good.

d0df9fc7b96a7a40b406a73daf6b2bdb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2