Texas BBQ

Washpark

19 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Barbecue classes are pretty common these days. Lots of joints do them. Tender’s does them for $80 a head for a 3 hour class, to basically make your lunch. Blair House does a 3 day bbq camp that’s crazy expensive. For most it’s a little sideline biz that is a little extra revenue. I don’t think they are mad profitable.

dude Goldees is charging $700 for their brisket class now, i think? it used to be a grand.

New School BBQ University from L&L is 2.5 or 3 days and is $1000 or $1500 if you are a pro, capped out at like 30? people. I think their 1 day class is like $600? either way they do a LOT in those classes. I think Goldees did the same.

Panther City used to charge $200 for 4 hours. Group of 15.

Brett's used to do them at $950 (1 person, 3 day)

Brothertons used to do them for $750 per person (1 day)

lots of other pretty well known joints are doing 1 day for $250 per person - assuming this is more of a "watch us cook, learn our process, be a pit hand"

they are more than a little profitable for each of those places.

If you had out of town friends suggest BBQ for dinner on a Friday night in Austin, what would be the best bet for decent BBQ without an hour+ long wait only to find out they sold out of shit? When I eat BBQ these days, I try to go early on weekdays, so its been years since I've even thought about what the best bet would be on a weekend night? My plan is to suggest not eating BBQ, but assuming they are dead set on it, what's the play here? 

If you had out of town friends suggest BBQ for dinner on a Friday night in Austin, what would be the best bet for decent BBQ without an hour+ long wait only to find out they sold out of shit? When I eat BBQ these days, I try to go early on weekdays, so its been years since I've even thought about what the best bet would be on a weekend night? My plan is to suggest not eating BBQ, but assuming they are dead set on it, what's the play here? 
I think both Stiles Switch and Terry Black's have dinner service. Any decent places without dinner service will be sold out by mid-afternoon.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I think both Stiles Switch and Terry Black's have dinner service. Any decent places without dinner service will be sold out by mid-afternoon.

You have any opinion on Blacks BBQ in west campus? Ive never been there, but i see its also open til 10

30 minutes ago, Blotto said:

You have any opinion on Blacks BBQ in west campus? Ive never been there, but i see its also open til 10

They don't cook at that location -- just ship it in from Lockhart.  Terry Black's or (dare I say it) Lambert's would be a better choice.  Tourists always have fun at County Line, as well.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Out of town friends, who aren't barbecue snobs, may appreciate a trip to Salt Lick as well.

Shit, I appreciate a trip to Salt Lick, or Southside Market in Elgin etc... 

Baker Boys in Gonzales is great (it really is), but sometimes you just gotta go into town and get a couple of links of sausage at Gonzales Market. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Baker Boys in Gonzales is great (it really is), but sometimes you just gotta go into town and get a couple of links of sausage at Gonzales Market. 

Agreed. You don't always have to eat at the best steakhouse to still enjoy steak. Sometimes the best barbecue is actually the friends you made along the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I agree with you.  My caveat was simply - as long as you are not taking someone to show them that Texas has the best barbecue in the world, Salt Lick would be a good choice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Out of town friends, who aren't barbecue snobs, may appreciate a trip to Salt Lick as well.

ive been to salt lick twice, both times it was pretty good, way above rudy's quality for sure. fun visits 

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ive been to salt lick twice, both times it was pretty good, way above rudy's quality for sure. fun visits 

I won’t go into details here, but the Salt Lick caused pretty severe “stomach problems” on every visit. I think it’s that filthy mop they glaze the meat with. 

Get catering in your backyard. Profit. 

I agree with you.  My caveat was simply - as long as you are not taking someone to show them that Texas has the best barbecue in the world, Salt Lick would be a good choice.

Agreed - Salt Lick has great atmosphere yet I’ve never had a satisfying meal there. Yet I’ve also been there several times…I guess because of the atmosphere.

It's been years since I've eaten there, but Salt Lick was always inconsistent, IMO.  The last time I was there the food was actually pretty good.  The two times before that, though, it was downright meh.  And then there were other occasions even earlier when it was pretty good -- never great, but not shitty, either.  I always assumed it was due in part to who was manning the pit on a particular night.

"We want to make it a place where everybody feels comfortable and accepted," Conlin said. "We've even noticed in our pop-ups like the people that come and lineup, it's not like your normal barbecue crowd. It's people that don't normally feel comfortable ordering barbecue in Lockhart.

https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/dining/2023/05/05/barbs-b-q-opening-lockhart-texas-barbecue-restaurant-women-owned-business/70187861007/

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

Salt Lick does not deliver great bbq very often, but when you do get a solid plate, and cap it with some good cobbler, and the weather’s nice and you’re with friends and you’re about 8 beers deep, it’s still pretty fucking awesome. 

so yeah, like once a decade you can have a good experience there.  but it’s worth it, totally worth it. 

When I came back to Austin after getting out of the navy my buddy took me there. He's a huge eater and I'm no chump. This was back in the $11 all you can eat days and while we ate 3 families came, sat, ate and left. The waitress told us she had seen some fat people eat as much as us, but not two regular size guys. At the end my buddy ordered cobler with ice cream, the waitress laughed at him, but he insisted. He finished his, I ate about 3 spoonfulls before I quit. Not sure I've ever eaten more at one sitting in my life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

Salt Lick does not deliver great bbq very often, but when you do get a solid plate, and cap it with some good cobbler, and the weather’s nice and you’re with friends and you’re about 8 beers deep, it’s still pretty fucking awesome. 

so yeah, like once a decade you can have a good experience there.  but it’s worth it, totally worth it. 

frick-all-that-steve-buscemi.gif

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's well worse than fine.  Had to take my wife's parents a couple of times over the past few years, and judged in the light of Franklin, etc. it's pretty sad.  The brisket is particularly bad.

Sometimes in the situation, you have to order based on what you suspect.  Last night, I went to a supposedly upscale Tex-Mex joint.  I suspected disappointing Tex-Mex.  I ordered the Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich and everyone at the bar marveled at my genius.  It was glorious.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's well worse than fine.  Had to take my wife's parents a couple of times over the past few years, and judged in the light of Franklin, etc. it's pretty sad.  The brisket is particularly bad.

The brisket is indeed super weak. Sausage was fine. Turkey was fine. Potato salad was fine. It was the kind of meal that I ate, and was satisfied enough. Of course, I remember the era of shitty bbq (being the norm) well, so I’m slightly forgiving of mediocrity.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Is anyone doing solid Texas BBQ outside of Texas?  I know Lewis in Charleston, but it would be nice to know if there are good spots in other random states.  

There’s an Austinite with a food trailer in Tulsa that’s solid. I can’t remember the name of it though.
  • Haha 1