Texas BBQ

Washpark

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

So much this.  I'll go out of my way to patronize decent food from a great person every time.  It's a part of the experience.  Sanctimonious "que'ers" are becoming like hipster micro-brewers.   

Hey Hey Hey Now!

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to use that term anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

That Korean sauce is like fucking crack.  I have been thinking about using it to glaze some pork ribs, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  It makes the best wings I've ever had.

I've done it, it's awesome.

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

This may be the best thing I’ve ever cooked. Smoked beef belly that I glazed with go chu jang to finish. Served on jasmine rice cooked with smoked chicken broth

f7d8499fcd0666ae1a662341b0e0dc7f.jpg

You coming to Austin anytime soon? 

Surly pop up?

• Like 1

Had Valentina’s to-mex recently. Was good but if it wasn’t in the taco then don’t believe it would get much love. The meat alone is good but not great especially compared to what you can get in the area.

Fan of the brisket but thought the chicken was meh.

Queso was quality and great tortillas. Nice way to mix up bbq.

d67518062a82b1282a79b59484627403.jpg

On 5/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, Jerry Callo said:

We're going to give it a shot tonight.  

Update:  Cypress Trail Hideout home of Pappa Charlies

Well, I was disappointed.  Ordered two-meat plate with brisket, sausage, coleslaw, and beans.  Brisket was moist, but flavorless.  Sausage was alright, but I think they cook Mikeska's sausage from Taylor - so not unique.  Sides were really good.  Both of my girls (no pics) ordered pulled pork sandwiches and the pulled pork was pretty good.

Timing was an issue for either Truth or Tejas (both of which are much better, IMHO) and we just wanted to try something different.  Could have been an off night.

Edited by Jerry Callo

Pappa Charlie's at 4.30pm yesterday, wasn't expecting their best at that time, but it was legit.  Great bark, texture, and flavor.   Also release a new full menu, looks good.

Moist sandwich with cream corn and potato salad.  I prefer mustard based salad, but the cream corn was outstanding

r9hqpd.jpg

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pappa Charlie's at 4.30pm yesterday, wasn't expecting their best at that time, but it was legit.  Great bark, texture, and flavor.   Also release a new full menu, looks good.

Moist sandwich with cream corn and potato salad.  I prefer mustard based salad, but the cream corn was outstanding

r9hqpd.jpg

That brisket looks ten times better than what I was served on Friday night.

On May 6, 2018 at 10:42 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

hutchins mckinney update

cat. bag. out of.

sunday morning, 11am, line 30 deep, but drive through moving rapidly, had a pound of fatty, pound of lean, and 2 pounds of turkey (their turkey is spec-tac-ular).

only problem?  brisket is now $20/pound, bird $15/pound.

and why not?  spring creek and dickey's over on 75 are EMPTY at 1130 when i drive by.

Drove by Hutchins many a time and never stopped. Couple months ago decided to stop and was impressed. Been back once since and will for sure stop in again.

11 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

So what time do I need to show up in line for Franklin's this weekend?

Depends on the kind of waiting you prefer.  Get there at 8:00 and wait three hours for Franklin to open and then wait in line a while.  Get there at 10:00 and wait one hour for open and then wait for them to run out of food.