Texas BBQ

Washpark

Went to the Big Apple BBQ Festival in NYC this weekend. Salt Lick was there--not too good, but there were really good and different ribs from a place in Illinois and the best thing all weekend was a pulled pork sandwich from Bob Gibson's from Alabama. All in all, a nice fun time.

Salt Lick has never been very good at that festival.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, XYZ said:

Last night I got some brisket to go from a joint that I won’t mention, but anyway I get home, open the box, and all the crust had been trimmed off. What kind of bitchass move is it to do that? This is only the second time this happens to me. The first time I was at Rudy’s in Corpus, and I’m watching the guy cutting the brisket, and I see that he starts slicing all the delicious burnt tasty fatty crust, and I’m like what’s going on here? Too shocked to react. Fuck that. I need to remember next time I buy brisket to give instructions not to fucking cut anything out.

"East Texas Style"

just to be clear, it is a shitty way to do it and I am glad it is slowly going away.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, NoName said:

"East Texas Style"

just to be clear, it is a shitty way to do it and I am glad it is slowly going away.

I don't know about all of the BBQ joints in east Texas, but my local joint doesn't do that shit, and neither do any of the lesser ones.

/I'm not saying there aren't some crazy people in this half of the state.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I don't know about all of the BBQ joints in east Texas, but my local joint doesn't do that shit, and neither do any of the lesser ones.

/I'm not saying there aren't some crazy people in this half of the state.

They dont. The good ones like Stanley's in Tyler, Stacey's BBQ in Jacksonville don't do that, or any other bbq joints I've been to in east Texas.

• Like 1

On the way to pick up my son from serving down at Camp Eagle and stopped in Georgetown to see John Mueller's Black Box. Cheesy Squash was on point and brisket was moist, but the bark was dried out and not much flavor. The cutter asked if I liked burnt ends and I said Helz Yeah. Well they were definitely BURNT ends. Totally dried out and hard as a rock. Lost my chubby after that. Pork ribs and beef sausage were good. Yes, I had to get the Legends T-Shirt. Family is full and now onto Fredericksburg to stop and get homemade peach ice cream.82ea6bcc8ba644af8ad0f06899aa126e.jpgd0d62ed3f727e2446ab517c3dd513df0.jpg8bdcf05dbc96f8207aa2b5ffa5427a36.jpg9229870d39f500f43ebe51a99d1baaea.jpg077a9a4227b1f7681800487823de3930.jpg

8 hours ago, XYZ said:

I went to LaBarbeque today. Maybe 30 minute wait in line. The brisket was excellent.

We got there around 12:30 p.m.  Waited about 45 minutes.  Line moved fine and we were able to sit inside.  Overall, great experience and meal for sure.. 

Had lunch at Petty's in Killeen today.

Ribs were tight, needed another hour or two on the pit, but chewable, and the seasoning and flavor were good. I ordered moist brisket, but it was dry as fuck. It was cut the wrong way (rookie bullshit), had no fat in it, and every bit of it was chopped off near the edge, and none of it in a good pointy burnt end kind of way.  I'm still belching up smoke from that brisket. Petty's won't back down.

pettys18.jpg

Still better than the last three experiences I had at Rudy's, and it was cheap by today's barbecue standards, $12/lb brisket and $10/lb for ribs. It's easy to see why.  I've never seen the place busy. They seem to have the ability to smoke meat with wood properly but they don't give it the proper attention.

Short trip to Charleston coming up next weekend. 1st stop on the way in Friday-John Lewis, where I will order a ridiculous amount of food as I have been living in BBQ wasteland for several years now (Greensboro, NC). Lst stop on the way out, Rodney Scott-hope I am not disappointed by his 'que. Will attempt to upload pics upon return. I think my wife is nearly as excited as me...but she really probably is just playing along because she knows there is at least one beach day in between 'que!

Just recently discovered 4Ts BBQ in Forney. Brisket is really good with a nice crunchy bark, same goes for the pulled pork. Ribs are rubbed with some kind of brown sugar lather and it's delicious. I can't say enough good things about the brisket though. Definitely better than Lockhart but maybe a tad bit below Pecan Lodge.

Stupid question time....
[mention=286]champkind[/mention]

What's the name of your place? Got a group of Yankees coming to town next weekend, and want a reputable place to take them.

Buck’s Barbeque Co. I’m a pop-up operation currently. Schedule posted at www.bucksbbqco.com

Camp Brisket

Foodways Texas at The University of Texas, Austin, and the Meat Science Section of the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University, College Station, are happy to announce that we will conduct our Camp Brisket 2019 lottery drawing on July 17, 2018.

While Barbecue Summer Camp takes a broad approach to barbecue cookery and culture in Texas and beyond, Camp Brisket focuses on that quintessential Texas smoked meat, the humble brisket. The camp covers topics such as grades/types of beef, types of smokers, wrapping or not wrapping the brisket, and much more. Attendees will receive direction from professors in the Meat Science Section at Texas A&M, as well as hear from pitmasters from around the state of Texas regarding some of their basic techniques. Read about past camps here and here.

Barbecue camps are open to Foodways Texas members only. If you are not a member, follow this two-step process for a chance to attend Camp Brisket 2019.

1) Become a member by noon on Sunday, July 1, 2018.
2) Register for the 2019 Camp Brisket drawing. Registration begins July 2, 2018 (all members will receive registration instructions on July 1) and continues through July 15, 2018.

18 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

How much does camp brisket cost? Cause I’d be inclined to hold a class if there is enough interest.

$495 + Foodways Texas membership of $75/year.

And I'm kind of suprised you haven't done one yet. I see lots of the competition teams posting about holding camps, so I know there's at least a small market for it. 

On 6/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, HRSchenker said:

Just recently discovered 4Ts BBQ in Forney. Brisket is really good with a nice crunchy bark, same goes for the pulled pork. Ribs are rubbed with some kind of brown sugar lather and it's delicious. I can't say enough good things about the brisket though. Definitely better than Lockhart but maybe a tad bit below Pecan Lodge.

Family out there, on the ribs side - will have to check out.

1 hour ago, Focht Up said:

I went to Brown's BBQ (food truck) on Lamar today.  There was no wait, and the staff was very friendly.  I got a beef rib and potato salad.  It was good, not great.  I'd go back because it's nearby.

I've never had their beef ribs.  Their brisket and pork spare ribs have been consistently very good every time I've been. I put them well above similar trailer-type places that tend to have short or zero lines.

Edited by utee94