Who could we realistically hire tomorrow if Sark was hypothetically fired?

GreenspointTexas

On 11/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, utee94 said:

You're really going all-in on this perceived culture problem you believe is present at UT.

It might or might not  be a factor, but are you proposing we SHOULDN'T go after a coach that we believe can help us win?  That sounds silly.  Why wouldn't we do whatever it takes, to bring in a coach that could win here?

Our past several choices have been bad hires.  Does that mean we should just stop trying to hire the next guy, with the idea being that we're trying to get the right guy?

I'm really not following you at all, here.

No secret.  It's not just Saban and Urban Meyer than we can't just wallet whip.  There are a lot of established coaches that would not necessarily be easy gets for us.  

Supposedly, Brian Kelly was on our list, but he ain't here.  I wouldn't expect Mario Cristobal to just up and leave a pretty good situation, either.

I didn't say we should stop trying.

It's not so much the culture problem, which seems to be pretty real, whatever its causes; it's just that we probably aren't as attractive as we think we are.

The last couple of tries, notwithstanding Herman, there weren't just a ton of obvious and attractive candidates out there.

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Joey Freshwater  in Austin with the Horns going to the SEC would be wild. He wouldnt be my number 1 pick, but I'd rather have him than Sark, and would have said so before the season started. At least he had two seperate teams at 10 wins, and has a pretty good shot at getting this years Ole Miss squad to 10 wins as well. Additionally, his troll game is top notch and he would fuck with aggy relentlessly.  It doesn't seem like a likely scenario for a variety of reasons, however. 

It's amazing how much shit posters here give Kiffin in game threads for being a moron but then want him as coach

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No secret.  It's not just Saban and Urban Meyer than we can't just wallet whip.  There are a lot of established coaches that would not necessarily be easy gets for us.  

Supposedly, Brian Kelly was on our list, but he ain't here.  I wouldn't expect Mario Cristobal to just up and leave a pretty good situation, either.

It's not so much the culture problem, which seems to be pretty real, whatever its causes; it's just that we probably aren't as attractive as we think we are.

The last couple of tries, notwithstanding Herman, there weren't just a ton of obvious and attractive candidates out there.

I would argue that the culture problem is exactly why we aren't as attractive as we think we are or should be.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Willie Fritz with Eric Morris as OC and Gene Chizik as DC

better and half the price of this staff

OU's HC from Muleshoe and UT's OC from Shallowater?

damn...

On 11/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, Sir Ulrich said:

Lane Kiffen  would be my choice if we had to hire somebody tomorrow. He took a terrible Ole Miss team and while last year was 5-5 he improved throughout the year and now is a win out from a first or second place SEC West finish. 

Not saying I agree with you, but I do like that he seems to be flexible with his scheme with respect to his personnel. I don't like that he seems to be addicted to risk taking, both on and off the field.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I have no idea how we attract the type of person needed to win and deal with individuals who have influence with this program because of money, power, or both.

Urban Meyer laid it out.  He wanted to win and he wanted his own carve out in the AD to deal with that shit (but be more beholden to him than the actual AD). We were not willing to do that and for that and a variety of other reasons he did not come.  

On 11/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Texas’ last four national recruiting class rankings from Rivals: 4th, 4th, 14th, 14th; rank in the Big 12: 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd.

Your current national rank for the class of 2022 is 5th, and 1st in the Big 12.

So maybe the problem IS bad coaching/player development and not some perceived recruiting problem because of the Big 12?  You’re going to have the exact same problems in the SEC that you have in the Big 12 unless you find a good coach.

so tell us something we don't know Jeff..

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

who does that?

unlike our guy, Kiffin is actually all gas no brakes though.

lol, read the aggy/ Miss thread, or the Bama/Miss thread or any fucking game thread Kiffin is a coach in. you're right though, he went for it on 4th down about 3 times in the first half vs Bama and it blew up in his face every time.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This.... Known elite coaches aren't going to come to Texas right now. Why would they? They can get the same money elsewhere combined with either "better" recruiting assistance, more control, in better shape, lower/more realistic expectations, more time, less of a microscope.

16 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

lol, read the aggy/ Miss thread, or the Bama/Miss thread or any fucking game thread Kiffin is a coach in. you're right though, he went for it on 4th down about 3 times in the first half vs Bama and it blew up in his face every time.

i was asking who was complaining about Kiffin in game threads but also saying they'd want him to be our coach.  who?

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Urban Meyer laid it out.  He wanted to win and he wanted his own carve out in the AD to deal with that shit (but be more beholden to him than the actual AD). We were not willing to do that and for that and a variety of other reasons he did not come.  

So CDC is the reason we are in this mess?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This. Why people think a successful coach would leave their secure situation to be jobless in 1-3 years is beyond me.

Edited by Spankytoes

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

CDC answers to the President who answers to the BOR, unless you think that a business unit manager in any organization unilaterally reorganizes his entire huge multi-million dollar unit without input and approval.  

Actually, CDC answers to Hartzell who answers to Milliken who answers to the BOR who in UT-Austin athletics matters is really just Eltife, Perez, and Weaver.  

the massive beef they had with Herman led us to this moment.  Which led us to having to panic hire Sark.  When the Tower and Belmont ask outside counsel like V&E to evaluate the contract of Herman for possible outcomes.  And the best they can all come up with is to have Herman followed off campus each day 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Actually, CDC answers to Hartzell who answers to Milliken who answers to the BOR who in UT-Austin athletics matters is really just Eltife, Perez, and Weaver.  

the massive beef they had with Herman led us to this moment.  Which led us to having to panic hire Sark.  When the Tower and Belmont ask outside counsel like V&E to evaluate the contract of Herman for possible outcomes.  And the best they can all come up with is to have Herman followed off campus each day by UTPD to see if he's been drunk again on campus (so as to be fired for cause)...that's not a great recipe for new hire evaluations.  

basketball wives mess GIF by VH1

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

the massive beef they had with Herman led us to this moment.  Which led us to having to panic hire Sark.  When the Tower and Belmont ask outside counsel like V&E to evaluate the contract of Herman for possible outcomes.  And the best they can all come up with is to have Herman followed off campus each day 

I asked in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) and maybe I missed the answer, but what exactly were the off field issues with Tom Herman that got everyone so freaked out? 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I asked in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) and maybe I missed the answer, but what exactly were the off field issues with Tom Herman that got everyone so freaked out? 

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  He absolutely never, ever walked around the LHF offices during the off-season, shitfaced drunk and was inappropriate with female employees/student interns.  Never happened.  Nobody ever contacted outside counsel that UT uses for anything involving Athletics (Longhorn Network mainly) and asked them how they could get out of the contract with Tom and decisions were reached to see if they could pinch him drinking and driving off campus in the off-season.  Nobody ever did that.  This thread is bullshit and should be deleted by the mods.  Somebody has hacked my computer and this is bullshit.  

This is rumor mongering and I won't be a party to it!  Herman's demise was accelerated at warp speed because of other shit he could have brought upon our program and not like in a fun "players are getting car leases" kinda shit.........nope.  Nothing like that.  And maybe his rapid termination timeline forced us to go with some after-thoughts when Meyer wasn't coming here.  And maybe some Regents just fell too in love with Sark.  He got them dreamy eyes.  But this is all conjecture on stolen laptops!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lobo

38 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

people fail to understand that players love that he goes for it on 4th down it is only the fans that get pissed off when it does not work....the players just think fuck it we did not get it done but we will

the only other thing that matters to the players is if there is a loss of the game the coach takes the blame for going for it at the wrong time even instead of throwing the players under the buss in public

what Joey Fresh does is different than the dumb shit that pirate mike does when the team is leading late and does NOT have to go for it and in fact the tea is whipped tired and the SMART call to salt the game away and help the team is to punt or not go for it......but mike swings his sword with a shit play call then blames the players right off for not being able to make the play

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Traylor. He’s the boy one that would say yes and that I would want

Since Sark and Traylor both work for the UT System can they both just be reassigned to trade places and keep the contracts as they are? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  He absolutely never, ever walked around the LHF offices during the off-season, shitfaced drunk and was inappropriate with female employees/student interns.  Never happened.  Nobody ever contacted outside counsel that UT uses for anything involving Athletics (Longhorn Network mainly) and asked them how they could get out of the contract with Tom and decisions were reached to see if they could pinch him drinking and driving off campus in the off-season.  Nobody ever did that.  This thread is bullshit and should be deleted by the mods.  Somebody has hacked my computer and this is bullshit.  

This is rumor mongering and I won't be a party to it!  Herman's demise was accelerated at warp speed because of other shit he could have brought upon our program and not like in a fun "players are getting car leases" kinda shit.........nope.  Nothing like that.  And maybe his rapid termination timeline forced us to go with some after-thoughts when Meyer wasn't coming here.  And maybe some Regents just fell too in love with Sark.  He got them dreamy eyes.  But this is all conjecture on stolen laptops!!!!!!!!

Holy hell of 50% if what you wrote is true

Edited by dingleberryswitzer