TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well, lying to investors typically doesn't go over very well.

I've never invested in any BBQ people in Austin and therefore never been lied to.  I've heard rumors of that happening but unless someone wants to come clean with ALL of the details, it's nothing but internet bullshit to me. 

All I can judge by, is how it tastes.

I've never invested in any BBQ people in Austin and therefore never been lied to.  I've heard rumors of that happening but unless someone wants to come clean with ALL of the details, it's nothing but internet bullshit to me. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight but am friends with a couple of dudes that were. They were not happy and from what they told me, I would have been pissed too. But it’s not my place to tell the story.

I will say, his bbq was good. And it looks like Daniel Vaughn also agrees with my take on it. Good but there are several other places in Houston and the state that are better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s been a few months since I’ve eaten at Dozier’s (it was very good) but I drove by there the other day and the outside picnic area with covered tables is nice and it was fairly crowded when I went by. Fulshear/Cinco Ranch area seems to be growing. He’s in a good spot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Do you really not pay attention multiple posters were fucked over by him in the shaggy days

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but am friends with a couple of dudes that were. They were not happy and from what they told me, I would have been pissed too. But it’s not my place to tell the story.

I will say, his bbq was good. And it looks like Daniel Vaughn also agrees with my take on it. Good but there are several other places in Houston and the state that are better.

This is what everyone keeps saying.  And not that I care about the details, I really really REALLY do not.  But as long as this is the only thing that keeps being said, without any direct evidence and without rebuttal from champ, then it's really nothing more than internet bullshittery.  No offense intended to you or anyone you know, but it's essentially irrelevant.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SizzleChest said:

We need a fucking moratorium on the Champ Kind discussion.  Who fucking cares at this point?

i brought it up since it sounded like doziers was going to be on the list.  i like jim and was just making an off the cuff remark.  my bad.

I hope Coopers uses this as a wakeup call.....as in someone says - Maybe we should taste what we've been serving?

I don't get to TX often enough and when I do it's rare that I have the time to hit any of these spots (other than in Houston maybe / I've been to Truth a few times), but Coopers used to be a nice respite from what I get where I now call home. 

The brisket and ribs aren't edible and certainly not for the price.  On my last trip to Llano, I picked up dinner from Dairy Queen down the street because I've finally decided that it's not just an "off day" that I've experienced over and over.

Congrats to all the honorees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're talking about Champ not John.

The Surly Days 

I ate at his place in Galveston.  It was very good, particularly the sides.  I felt like the brisket suffered from being on an actual plate.  I feel like it just pulls the heat out of it if that makes sense.  We were there after the lunch hour and the place was empty.  I announced I was from the internet and he came out and spoke to us.  Gave us some big red ice cream.  Thanks to whichever of the investors paid for that.  No dog in that hunt, but I imagine I'd be pissed too.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I only know what I read here.  And if there is one thing I've learned at Shaggy/Surly, it's that you should not invest in a BBQ business.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I only know what I read here.  And if there is one thing I've learned at Shaggy/Surly, it's that you should not invest in a BBQ business.

It's apparently fun until all your money suddenly disappears, along with a trailer and a walk-in full of perishable food.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

It's apparently fun until all your money suddenly disappears, along with a trailer and a walk-in full of perishable food.

Curious if you are one of the guys who had money invested with either/both of them? Because you always seem a little overly defensive about it all.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Curious if you are one of the guys who had money invested with either/both of them? Because you always seem a little overly defensive about it all.

Ha, no I was not.  I have great empathy for those that did invest and a steep disdain for people who take other people's money to operate a business and then fail to be transparent.  

Also, when you vocally support people who turn out to be shitty, is that being overly defensive?  What's your problem with it anyway?  It keeps getting rehashed here, and aside from the occasional sarcastic remark, I don't really discuss it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

I hope Coopers uses this as a wakeup call.....as in someone says - Maybe we should taste what we've been serving?

I don't get to TX often enough and when I do it's rare that I have the time to hit any of these spots (other than in Houston maybe / I've been to Truth a few times), but Coopers used to be a nice respite from what I get where I now call home. 

The brisket and ribs aren't edible and certainly not for the price.  On my last trip to Llano, I picked up dinner from Dairy Queen down the street because I've finally decided that it's not just an "off day" that I've experienced over and over.

Congrats to all the honorees. 

as long as people keep lining up to buy what they are selling I don't see them being very motivated to change just to make a list.   unless they have a pitmaster with a massive ego to stroke, and we all know those don't exist 😉

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Never heard of Leroy and Lewis, newish?

they started in 2017. It's great. I'm a little surprised by their ranking, though. Particularly since they have a very limited menu of traditional barbecue (no ribs) and only serve brisket on the weekends. But everything they do make is excellent, particularly their smoked beef cheeks. 

3 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Ha, no I was not.  I have great empathy for those that did invest and a steep disdain for people who take other people's money to operate a business and then fail to be transparent.  

Also, when you vocally support people who turn out to be shitty, is that being overly defensive?  What's your problem with it anyway?  It keeps getting rehashed here, and aside from the occasional sarcastic remark, I don't really discuss it.

Gotcha. You described your being "overly defensive" better than I did. You supported/defended them when things were good and then when things weren't, you always just kind of seem like you don't want anyone to talk about it. So, I thought you might have been an investor. Honestly, I never understood the love on here for either one of them.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Gotcha. You described your being "overly defensive" better than I did. You supported/defended them when things were good and then when things weren't, you always just kind of seem like you don't want anyone to talk about it. So, I thought you might have been an investor. Honestly, I never understood the love on here for either one of them.

I'd also rather just talk about BBQ than old drama.  I'm not that complicated.

On that note, just back from Terry Black's which was a great salve for the Monday Longhorn blues.  Brisket and pork ribs, solid as usual.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

they started in 2017. It's great. I'm a little surprised by their ranking, though. Particularly since they have a very limited menu of traditional barbecue (no ribs) and only serve brisket on the weekends. But everything they do make is excellent, particularly their smoked beef cheeks. 

I hear ya, but Snow's only serves brisket one day per week.  They only serve ANYthing one day per week.

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

Tootsie has a weekday job. 

Yes....

Which doesn't really have anything to do with irishtexan's reservations about placing L&L so high because they only serve brisket on Sat/Sun, while Snow's has been up to #1 and is only open 1 day per week.

Just now, utee94 said:

Yes....

Which doesn't really have anything to do with irishtexan's reservations about placing L&L so high because they only serve brisket on Sat/Sun, while Snow's has been up to #1 and is only open 1 day per week.

To be fair, who in the fuck with a real life can give Snow's enough business on weekdays to make it profitable? Lexington isn't really on the way to anywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Deej said:

To be fair, who in the fuck with a real life can give Snow's enough business on weekdays to make it profitable? Lexington isn't really on the way to anywhere. 

Point well made, sir. :)

I love Snow's, it's great.  Haven't been lately because of the line and so many fantastic options nearby with little or no line, but Tootsie certainly has earned her place.

• Like 1

I totally get the argument that it's harder to be consistent making 1,000+ briskets 5 days per week versus 100+ 1 day per week.  But is there more room for inconsistency for the pitmaster that only gets to do it once per week.  Wouldn't the sweet spot for consistency be the pitmaster who cooks 15 briskets per day five days per week as opposed to the one who does it once per week.  Is what Tootsie and L&L does more impressive because they don't do it as regularly?

22 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

It’s way better than it was 10-15 years ago. Butter’s is a 30 min drive to Mathis and Julian’s & Salty Oak are pretty decent in-town options.  

I live on the Island.  Mathis is a 1 hr drive.

But.  I AM gong to try out these options.

There's also one down Waldron that just got started.  "Gotta Have It."  I'll try it and report back.

6 hours ago, EZ$ said:

It’s way better than it was 10-15 years ago. Butter’s is a 30 min drive to Mathis and Julian’s & Salty Oak are pretty decent in-town options.  

I can still remember when Joe Cotten’s in Robstown was the go-to place for BBQ close to Corpus. The one time I was there was probably close to 40 years ago.

I don’t remember how good it was, but do remember that it was served on butcher paper. It’s kind of crazy that I remember that detail but can’t recall the quality of the meal. 

5 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I can still remember when Joe Cotten’s in Robstown was the go-to place for BBQ close to Corpus. The one time I was there was probably close to 40 years ago.

I don’t remember how good it was, but do remember that it was served on butcher paper. It’s kind of crazy that I remember that detail but can’t recall the quality of the meal. 

I remember eating at Joe Cotten's many times back in late 80s and early 90s as a kid.  I remember thinking it was good.  But honestly, I am not sure I ever had really good bbq -- at least what really good Texas bbq is today -- until around 2010 or so.  I remember thinking Rudy's in Leon Springs was the best I ever had back in early 90s.

Franklin's response on social media was very gracious.  Not that there's any shame in being the #7 joint in Texas.  But it's a couple of spots down from the last two lists all the same.  He responded like someone who has been in the end zone before and could be there again.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1