TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Truth on Washington guys, do they have daily specials? If I’m going to go, and probably wait in line, I want to try everything on the menu. 

I think they’ve been doing whole hog on sundays (I’d check their Instagram for confirmation) as well as half chickens, along with the rest of the menu.

stopped at burnt bean on the way back from corpus on the thursday before this list came out. the line was not quite out the door and it was slow as shit. had the 2 meat plate, ribs were slightly better than the brisket. it was solid but wouldn't wait in that line again...can only imagine how long it will be now. 

stopped at burnt bean on the way back from corpus on the thursday before this list came out. the line was not quite out the door and it was slow as shit. had the 2 meat plate, ribs were slightly better than the brisket. it was solid but wouldn't wait in that line again...can only imagine how long it will be now. 

That’s a bummer. I ate there this past May and thought it was great.

1 hour ago, stc said:

I'm going on Saturday.  Line will be terrible, but its one of the two Top 10 places I haven't had (Goldee's is the other).

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Truth on Washington guys, do they have daily specials? If I’m going to go, and probably wait in line, I want to try everything on the menu. 

They do beef ribs on Saturdays and have done whole hog on occasion. My standard order is moist brisket and spicy pepper jack sausage. Sometimes I add some pork ribs or get a beef rib too. Their sides are excellent as is the chocolate cake.  

16 hours ago, tigol said:

My local joint made the honorable mention list.  I'm very happy for them!  If your wife drags you to "Market Days" in Wimberley, just have her drop you off here.  There is a bar and TV's for sports.  It's a short walk down to the Blanco.  Just don't wander onto some asshole's property and get shot.

https://www.creeksidecookers.com/

Supposedly, they are closing the restaurant at the end of the month and going back to just the trailer by the laundromat. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My standard order is moist brisket and spicy pepper jack sausage. 

I refuse to say "moist" brisket.  I am not afeart to say "gimme 3 slices off the fat end."  Of course, young knives on the block say "you mean moist?" while old pros say "you got it!"

Life is too short for lean brisket.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

Dumb question, is it rude or snobbish to say 2 slices from the point and 2 slices from the flat?

I've noticed that most places do NOT separate the point when slicing. . .I can imagine that would be ineffient, but it does produce a slice with a bunch of fat in the middle.

There's no such thing as a dumb question, just . . . oh never mind.  You should ask - at best the cutter will cut two slices off the point then slice them down the middle to separate the point and flat.  Have whoever is with you video the exchange.

I was behind a guy a few years ago that ordered brisket but asked that the cutter remove all of the bark - he thought the smoke flavor tasted like an ashtray.  He then bitched when the cutter weighed everything on the scale.   

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Dumb question, is it rude or snobbish to say 2 slices from the point and 2 slices from the flat?

I've noticed that most places do NOT separate the point when slicing. . .I can imagine that would be ineffient, but it does produce a slice with a bunch of fat in the middle.

I don't think so.  But when I ordered that at 4T two weeks ago, I got two slices off the point end, which, while they included the flat, wasn't what I wanted (I wanted to see how the lean in of the flat was.  I like both ends. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have to be in Frisco in December on a random Wednesday (a long flight to suburbia hell, kill me). What’s the typical midweek midday line situation at Hutchins, anyone know?

It’s been a while, but I’ve never waited more than 15-20 minutes.  They get you through pretty quick even if the line is out the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I have to be in Frisco in December on a random Wednesday (a long flight to suburbia hell, kill me). What’s the typical midweek midday line situation at Hutchins, anyone know?

A vendor took us to lunch around 1pm back in May, and the line was just inside the door. Maybe 10 mins, and they process/serve up pretty quick. Maybe it’ll longer now that the Frisco location was specifically mentioned in the Top 50, but then again the McKinney location just reopened and will draw off some volume, so…who knows. 

The good news is they now offer Texas Twinkies every day. You’ll want to get at least two. 

C77B2C20-13AE-4A36-831C-BD09361D93F5.jpeg

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 3

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s been a while, but I’ve never waited more than 15-20 minutes.  They get you through pretty quick even if the line is out the door.

I should add that I haven’t eaten there in 3 years due to a job switch, but I probably ate there 50 times when I was working up there.  It was a mile from the office.  The McKinney location is more convenient for me now and I have had longer waits there.  I think the McKinney location is a little better, and it has certainly been open longer, so they may have a more loyal following within the surrounding community.  Happy to see them back open again.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think so.  But when I ordered that at 4T two weeks ago, I got two slices off the point end, which, while they included the flat, wasn't what I wanted (I wanted to see how the lean in of the flat was.  I like both ends.
Especially if its cut perfectly.

Slicing is an art. And I've seen novices cut with the grain and ruin a brisket. Nothing more satisfying than brisket with fat perfectly rendered cut perfectly across the grain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Especially if its cut perfectly.

Slicing is an art. And I've seen novices cut with the grain and ruin a brisket. Nothing more satisfying than brisket with fat perfectly rendered cut perfectly across the grain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And nothing wrong with cutting a little thicker on the point  I think Franklin differentiates the slices as "big pencil" and "little/No. 2 pencil," with the latter being the slice size for the lean end of the flat.

Edited by dcbc