TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

On 10/24/2021 at 12:35 AM, tx 3 putt said:

zero ideas how this place stays open, it's always empty. im thinking it's a front to wash drug money 

mikeska-s-bar-b-q.jpg

Ha Ha, my daughter loves that place.  We go there all the time when we're up at the ranch.  We've been going there for years.  When old man Mikeska was still around he would always be in there on Sundays and would give every kid a dollar coin.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m still waiting for a Texas bbq joint to do smoked Picanha. Come in you fucks. I think I will propose it to L&L on social media.

I've never tried smoking one before. The hot-and-fast method is already so incredible, I'm not sure I'd ever have it any other way.

https://braziliankitchenabroad.com/picanha-brazilian-culotte-steaks/

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I ate at the other Mikeska's in Temple in like '95. It sucked, too.

There is Mikeska's in El Campo.  I meet my dove hunting outfitter in their parking lot.  Last Sunday I bought pound of sliced sausage for our group to snack on. It was not good and the brisket there looked awful.  Nice people though.

I've never tried smoking one before. The hot-and-fast method is already so incredible, I'm not sure I'd ever have it any other way.
https://braziliankitchenabroad.com/picanha-brazilian-culotte-steaks/

Oh I agree. But nothing wrong with giving it a shot. It’s also amazing that something so simple as Brazilian churrasco can be screwed up. Still the best I have eaten is in Brazil in someone’s backyard.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is Mikeska's in El Campo.  I meet my dove hunting outfitter in their parking lot.  Last Sunday I bought pound of sliced sausage for our group to snack on. It was not good and the brisket there looked awful.  Nice people though.

We need a Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Pieces of Shit.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh I agree. But nothing wrong with giving it a shot. It’s also amazing that something so simple as Brazilian churrasco can be screwed up. Still the best I have eaten is in Brazil in someone’s backyard.

Do what this chick recommends in the recipe I posted. I don't even mess with the garlic paste marinade, though I know it's good since I did it once. I just use EVOO+S/P or Perini Ranch seasoning and cook to 130 degrees or so. De-fucking-lish. (I tried making the farofa once and failed miserably.)

On 10/24/2021 at 12:35 AM, tx 3 putt said:

zero ideas how this place stays open, it's always empty. im thinking it's a front to wash drug money 

mikeska-s-bar-b-q.jpg

I banged Jerry’s granddaughter in college, hot blonde but totally nuts.  I think she had just broke up with Brian Boddicker.  CSB. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

A guy I worked with, his hot daughter used to bang a son from the hinzes bbq family. He said those fuckere were rolling in money. This was many years back when they still had the 59 location 

#csb

So the guy you worked with AND his daughter used to bag a son of the Hinze bbq family?  At the same time?  I’m confused.  Explain. 

@Patricio Swayzedo you only get bbq during the week? Curious to know how Truths weekend lines are looking after the list. Been a while since I’ve been to Pinkertons and it will probably be my next bbq stop anyway, but I can’t imagine Truth is anything less than a shitshow currently. 

btw, kinda hate this Texas monthly list. It brings out all the lemmings that clog up the lines at all the best spots. Great for their businesses, bad for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]do you only get bbq during the week? Curious to know how Truths weekend lines are looking after the list. Been a while since I’ve been to Pinkertons and it will probably be my next bbq stop anyway, but I can’t imagine Truth is anything less than a shitshow currently. 

btw, kinda hate this Texas monthly list. It brings out all the lemmings that clog up the lines at all the best spots. Great for their businesses, bad for me. 

I very rarely get bbq on the weekends. I typically only hit up spots Wednesday through Friday.

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You guys know u can order online and skip the line at a lot of these places, right?

Sure but unless it’s Franklin or I’m trying to get bbq for a bunch of people that’s just such an asshole thing IMO. Nothing against you, and I know it’s probably the “smart” thing to do, but like Omar said, a man got to have a code. 

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Sure but unless it’s Franklin or I’m trying to get bbq for a bunch of people that’s just such an asshole thing IMO. Nothing against you, and I know it’s probably the “smart” thing to do, but like Omar said, a man got to have a code. 

My code is to avoid waiting in line when that is presented as an option.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I would not put it past myself that I need to adopt a better way of doing something. I am a simpleton from East Texas after all. 

I don’t wait in line often, but I’ll do it every now and then.  I’ve dined at Franklin 4 times (I haven’t lived in Austin in 15 years).  Twice at the trailer, stood in line at the current location once, and rented the place out for an event.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t wait in line often, but I’ll do it every now and then.  I’ve dined at Franklin 4 times (I haven’t lived in Austin in 15 years).  Twice at the trailer, stood in line at the current location once, and rented the place out for an event.

Surly, one percenter...

• Haha 1

Picked up some barbecue from Killen's yesterday. Didn't get there until after 5 when they only had seating by reservation. I was able to order online. Got a three meat plate with moist brisket, pork rib, and pulled pork, coleslaw, and collard greens. Pork ribs was good. Brisket was ok. Pulled pork was fine, but I prefer to add my own sauce. Overall the food was fine, but I wouldn't make a special trip - just happened to be staying a mile away for a weekend of youth soccer.

35 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Picked up some barbecue from Killen's yesterday. Didn't get there until after 5 when they only had seating by reservation. I was able to order online. Got a three meat plate with moist brisket, pork rib, and pulled pork, coleslaw, and collard greens. Pork ribs was good. Brisket was ok. Pulled pork was fine, but I prefer to add my own sauce. Overall the food was fine, but I wouldn't make a special trip - just happened to be staying a mile away for a weekend of youth soccer.

This really pissed me off https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/ronnie-killen-killens-barebcue-scoffs-texas-monthly-barbecue-diss-snow-bbq-hobby-win/%3famp

Anybody that talks shit about Tootsie is a f***ing lunatic.

43 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

A BBQ place doing reservation only? Yeah I'm out on that one chief.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:
17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
A BBQ place doing reservation only? Yeah I'm out on that one chief.

They change at 5:00 on Fridays and Saturdays to seated dining with a few additions to the menu. During the day they were the typical order at the cutting station.

Yeah fuck that. Especially if he wants to bitch about tootsie

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He didn’t talk shit about Tootsie.

Went to Cattleack on Friday with my buddy who flew in from Grand Junction, Co.  Arrived at 12:20, ordered at 1, and by the time we left, the board which shows what is sold out by taping over the options only showed brisket.  Outstanding ribs, brisket, but the sausage with cheese & hatch chiles was the star.  Dear God I had a spiritual experience when the smoke taste was revealed in the first bite that lasted until there was none left. 

Followed that up by going to Louie Mueller's in Taylor for lunch Saturday morning.  There was a vintage car show going on and we were first in line at 10am.  Watched the Longhorns jump out to a nice lead and then left knowing by the end of the game that would be reversed and chose to allow the excellent barbecue to digest properly instead of watching the futile attempt at a win against a ranked team.  Brisket was just a notch below Cattlelack as were ribs.  First time there and enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly discussion with others in line before opening.

Went to Miller's smokehouse in Belton to grab dinner.  While the barbecue was worthy of the top 50 list, the chocolate cream pie with graham cracker crust won dessert of the trip for me. 

Our plan was to come back through Arlington on Sunday and stop at Hurtado's, but both of us decided the meat coma we were just beginning to come out of would only be further exacerbated.  Another reason to do this again in the near future and maybe add Goldee's to the trip if the mania has subsided any. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He didn’t talk shit by any means. Ronnie Killen is a good dude who makes great food. He is noting the difference between apples to oranges. Here is what he said:

“You know Snow’s is number one; Cattleack was number three; Franklin was number two; but those places aren’t really about accessibility.  If you have a line that is five hours long, how many people can wait in that line? Not a lot of people unless you’re flying or driving in or you know that’s what you’re there for. The normal public wouldn’t necessarily pay for that.

“Yes, Snow’s, I’ve never been there, but they’re only open one day a week. That’s kind of like a hobby to me. If I could open one day a week, I wouldn’t be able to pay my employees what I pay them now. So I hand it to [Snow’s] that they’re able to do that.”

“You get the people that are barbecue enthusiasts going to these places that know they’re going to have to wait, and they’re happy to wait,” he says. “But we get people that are just the general public, and they want their stuff like yesterday. They care more so about quantity not quality. In my opinion, a lot of people care more about how much [food] they’re going to get.

“We don’t have that rush of people that says ‘Oh no I have to get there by 1 [pm] before they run out of food.’ We still have a steady line all day, but it’s different because people know they can come here all throughout the day and still get the same barbecue. Which is good, but it doesn’t have that I’m going to camp out in line all day factor.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed to Snow's next Saturday. Tootsie was a celeb judge for our charity Rib/Appetizer Cook-Off in 2019 and was supposed to do it again back in June but Kerry had his stroke the week before so she had to stay in Lexington. She will be back in 2022, most likely. At any rate, one of our live auction items was a trip to Snow's on a bus with some of our club/event leadership. We're leaving Dallas at 5:30 Saturday and heading down. We've got food pre-ordered and they're going to set us up at some tables out of the way. We'll eat, hang out with Tootsie and Kerry and the gang and head back after. It's gonna be a good day!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:22 AM, C-Man said:

Headed to Snow's next Saturday. Tootsie was a celeb judge for our charity Rib/Appetizer Cook-Off in 2019 and was supposed to do it again back in June but Kerry had his stroke the week before so she had to stay in Lexington. She will be back in 2022, most likely. At any rate, one of our live auction items was a trip to Snow's on a bus with some of our club/event leadership. We're leaving Dallas at 5:30 Saturday and heading down. We've got food pre-ordered and they're going to set us up at some tables out of the way. We'll eat, hang out with Tootsie and Kerry and the gang and head back after. It's gonna be a good day!

Thanks for the invite. 

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Looking for bbq in Houston galleria area (truth is too far into town). Is roegels the best option? If so, is this a place I have to be there early to get meat? Or can I show up at 1215 and still eat?

I've only been to the Katy location, but Roegels is fine. It's definitely second tier, but the pork belly is good. I don't think you'll need to get there early.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've only been to the Katy location, but Roegels is fine. It's definitely second tier, but the pork belly is good. I don't think you'll need to get there early.

This is my take as well. Good, but not the same level as Truth or Tejas (or Willow). I have eaten at the west Houston location probably 5 times.

That's a dumb fucking code.

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This is my take as well. Good, but not the same level as Truth or Tejas (or Willow). I have eaten at the west Houston location probably 5 times.

Has anybody ventured to Blood Bros. lately?  I went once pre-pandemic and was under-whelmed.

Has anybody ventured to Blood Bros. lately?  I went once pre-pandemic and was under-whelmed.

I think the last time I went there was 2019. And yes, I was expecting better. It was good, but underwhelming. I still haven’t had Khoi yet. Hoping to try them when they get their brick and mortar set up.