2021 - 2022 Dallas Mavericks: The Vibes are Immaculate

CBT

Just now, immortal13 said:

You have to blame him. I mean you call s fucking time out to draw up a play and that's what you get? And jesus christ Brunson throws it in to KP, who was way outside the paint, way too late. Jesus fuck hit the rim there and it's probably game over

exactly.   Brunson has to go to the hole once the stupid play breaks down.

and then telling Powell to leave the 3 point shooter.  just fucking stupid.  Kidd is an idiot as a coach.  Cuban is gonna completely waste Luka.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/28/2021 at 1:27 PM, gsoda3 said:

the omnicron debacle is the best thing to happen to the mavs this season.  we're getting a whole lot of guys pt they otherwise wouldn't have and not only that, it's pt where they get to be involved with the offense instead of watching luka make a move and then reacting.  we are *so* much better as a team without luka.  if we can figure out how to keep everyone (most importantly kp) moving and involved while luka's on the floor we have a really good team.  luka has to buy in to the high energy hustle and off ball movement for it to work though-  he can't continue to take himself out of the play whenever the ball's out of his hands, it doesn't work.  

kp is playing at an all star level thus far.  great to see him being consistent through these brief injuries.  if maxi doesn't step up his game after he returns we might be seeing his last couple months in a mavs uniform.  our front court is getting crowded.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?sort=TIME_OF_POSS&dir=1

Luka currently leads the league in both time of possession/ gm and average seconds/touch at 9.4 minutes/gm & 6.19 sec/touch respectively. James Harden at even his most heliocentric state of play for the Rockets never averaged over 9.3 minutes of possession per game. And even his seconds/touch were below Luka's current 6.19 more often than not while with the Rockets. 

For comparison players like Steph Curry and Lamello Ball average 5.5 min/gm, 4.25 sec/touch and 6 min/gm, 4.18 sec/touch respectively. Even without these stats you can see the difference in how these teams play vs our Mavs. The ball constantly moves and players continuously move around stressing the defense as they do it. Maybe our style of play has more to do with our atrocious personnel rather than Luka's preferred style of play, but whatever it is this shit needs to change. 

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe our style of play has more to do with our atrocious personnel rather than Luka's preferred style of play, but whatever it is this shit needs to change. 

yeah you touch on a good point-  we have a bunch of guys who are ball stoppers.  they either catch the ball and shoot or catch the ball and pass it back out to reset the play.  THjr, maxi, bullock.  these guys are starters.  there's a term in soccer, "positive soccer", which refers to passing the ball forward, pressing the action, and stressing the defense.  if you take that concept and apply it here, positive basketball isn't necessarily passing forward but it is stressing the defense by passing and moving like you said.  those guys have to figure out how they fit into that.  

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

how do Mavs fans feel about Tim Hardaway JR?  Well liked, average, overrated?

I like him but he's overpaid for one major reason in my opinion and that's inconsistency. He seems like he's either on fire or just disappears. I always feel like he should be a better player in this league than what he is.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:01 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

how do Mavs fans feel about Tim Hardaway JR?  Well liked, average, overrated?

I feel like he could be a great 5th or 6th guy but we are counting on him to be a #3 basically and he's just way to volatile.

Everyone's defensive effort, including Luka's, was great tonight. Also it was nice to see is being able to score after Luka came out, as opposed to long stretches the past couple years when we couldn't do that. The confidence and experience these guys got the last month has been invaluable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Never really been a fan of the Mavericks but Nowitzski is easily one of my favorite athletes, pro or otherwise, ever. Everything you want in a superstar but rarely find  - incredible talent coupled with a humble  and reserved demeanor along with being a giving and active person in the community. We name streets and shit for athletes fairly often but Nowitzski is the model for why we should do so when we do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Never really been a fan of the Mavericks but Nowitzski is easily one of my favorite athletes, pro or otherwise, ever. Everything you want in a superstar but rarely find  - incredible talent coupled with a humble  and reserved demeanor along with being a giving and active person in the community. We name streets and shit for athletes fairly often but Nowitzski is the model for why we should do so when we do. 

Fittingly, the street in front of the America airlines center is called Nowitzki Way
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Of course we don’t take him out, up comfortably with less than 2 mins to go and after a clear hamstring twinge earlier in the game and then that happens…

That's what happened on the initial injury a few weeks ago. Kidd left him in the game in the final minutes when we were comfortably ahead by double digits. 

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Man...are we...decent on defense? 

I think we actually are, and tonight with no Porzingis in the line up. The defense is what is starting to make me feel optimistic about this team. If they can consistently give the kind of defensive effort that they have they last 5 or 6 games, then we may have a chance to get out of the first round of the playoffs this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting from 1990 I have the autographs for every Mavs first round pick. I'd either write in to the team asking for it immediately after draft night or I'd get it from an event we'd attend with them. Except for dirk. I had no idea who he was so I didn't bother with it. Oops.

Also I'm sorry I ever said we should trade dirk for the draft rights to Kevin Durant.

• Hook 'Em 1