is it bad form...

to not return a "missed call" from someone if they don't leave a message?

I've had colleagues/ friends/ whomever mildly gripe that i didn't return their calls; and when I asked them if they left a message or shot me a text, they just shrug and say they shouldn't have to. My deal has been that if it is important enough to call me, it's important enough to leave a message or subsequent text explaining what you needed.  It's a telephone, not a fucking door bell.  I'm also not a Russian submarine, so we don't do the "One ping only" bullshit.

I know there are folks who don't like the voice mail thingy, but typically it saves me time when a caller just needs an authorization for something or an answer I need to research.  I can find their answer and THEN call them back, without having waste time on a call to find out WTF they wanted.

Oh and "call me" is not a legit message either.  I know you fucking called.  Tell me why...

I assume it's a pocket dial if there is no vm or follow up text.

Related rant: My wife absolutely refuses to keep her phone on her and refuses to ever listen to a voicemail. There are times I urgently need to get a hold of her, and can't. We've argued about it a lot, and she flat out refuses. Can't fucking stand it.

• Rage+1 6

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Related rant: My wife absolutely refuses to keep her phone on her and refuses to ever listen to a voicemail. There are times I urgently need to get a hold of her, and can't. We've argued about it a lot, and she flat out refuses. Can't fucking stand it.

Your wife is a narcissistic, dumb ass... sorry, but I looked it up in the dictionary, and it was right there in black, and white.  Won't listen to a voice mail, won't keep her phone turned on ?  That's a classic sign of narcissism, she's too important to return calls, and only uses her phone for her needs. 

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Depends on the caller. If it's someone that I talk to regularly and there is no text or message, I'm not calling back.

If it's someone who I only talk to when something bigger is happening, then I'll call back.

Username checks out.

no one in the year 2021 should ever leave a fucking message.... period. If you have the phone number text it, if not email it. I don't want to have to listen to a fucking voicemail only to then return the call and have the person repeat the fucking voicemail live again. 

Why any phone has voicemail still is mind fucking blowing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Juicy said:

no one in the year 2021 should ever leave a fucking message.... period. If you have the phone number text it, if not email it. I don't want to have to listen to a fucking voicemail only to then return the call and have the person repeat the fucking voicemail live again. 

Why any phone has voicemail still is mind fucking blowing. 

I get voicemails on my office phone and just delete them without listening.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

This is a context- and situationally-specific issue that really doesn't merit a one-size-fits-all approach.

That said, an easy way to look at this is if people are getting annoyed with your decision-making criteria, perhaps you need to adjust your threshold in some way. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I was on a call with my head of operations when my CEO called, who we both needed to talk to so I told the Ops person to hold on, I'll merge the CEO in. I hit the "Hold and Accept" button and it hung up on both of them.

CLM

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This is a context- and situationally-specific issue that really doesn't merit a one-size-fits-all approach.

That said, an easy way to look at this is if people are getting annoyed with your decision-making criteria, perhaps you need to adjust your threshold in some way. 

I was deliberating between a recalibration and telling them to fuck off.

Then I went and asked a bunch of assholes what was proper.

giphy.gif

Edited by slorch

No it is not in bad form. The only phone I use is a company issued smartphone. If it's an unidentified number or number I don't recognize and they don't leave a message they get no call back. Of course the family wife etc or very close friends I will call back, but I all other mumbers no. There's too many spam calls and sales calls going on to call back on stupid shit.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Voicemail or text - need to be one of three three things in a business setting-

A) Ask a question that doesn't require further conversation to get an answer (get back to me text/email/call - responders choice)

B) Provide an answer to a prior question - no further conversation needed

C) Indicate the need for a conversation.

Don't call me and tell me we need to talk about X, and then go on rambling in a one sided conversation about X.  Drives me crazy.

From a sales perspective - make calls or texts short and sweet - "Please call me about X when your time permits", or simply "please call me when time permits".....depending on the nature of the relationship.  If you're rambling on a voicemail, I consciously or subconsciously expect you to ramble in conversation and view it as a waste of time.

I follow the same rules.  Name / Number - one or two sentences max - repeat Name / Number

On 10/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

This.

Family members and close friends only call me when they have something they want/need to talk about.  Otherwise they text.  If I have a missed call from any of them I call them back, because I'm not a dick to those I care about.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, slorch said:

to not return a "missed call" from someone if they don't leave a message?

I've had colleagues/ friends/ whomever mildly gripe that i didn't return their calls; and when I asked them if they left a message or shot me a text, they just shrug and say they shouldn't have to. My deal has been that if it is important enough to call me, it's important enough to leave a message or subsequent text explaining what you needed.  It's a telephone, not a fucking door bell.  I'm also not a Russian submarine, so we don't do the "One ping only" bullshit.

I know there are folks who don't like the voice mail thingy, but typically it saves me time when a caller just needs an authorization for something or an answer I need to research.  I can find their answer and THEN call them back, without having waste time on a call to find out WTF they wanted.

Oh and "call me" is not a legit message either.  I know you fucking called.  Tell me why...

that's what the message is for: a chance to express whatever you wanted to express live but couldnt. 

if they didnt leave one, fuck em.

i have a work pet peeve of people who call directly without first the low-friction act of emailing or messaging.

then theres this other dude who  would send an email, then within 10 seconds hit up the corporate messaging app for an answer, then 15 seconds after that rings the office phone, then personal mobile / mobile messaging app (whatsapp etc).  for nothing remotely of importance or urgency... EVER.

when i see his name pop up in Outlook, i know for a FACT that within 60 seconds my cell phone will ring, and i know especially to put that shit on silence and ignore it.

• Rage+1 2

19 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Voicemail or text - need to be one of three three things in a business setting-

A) Ask a question that doesn't require further conversation to get an answer (get back to me text/email/call - responders choice)

B) Provide an answer to a prior question - no further conversation needed

C) Indicate the need for a conversation.

Don't call me and tell me we need to talk about X, and then go on rambling in a one sided conversation about X.  Drives me crazy.

From a sales perspective - make calls or texts short and sweet - "Please call me about X when your time permits", or simply "please call me when time permits".....depending on the nature of the relationship.  If you're rambling on a voicemail, I consciously or subconsciously expect you to ramble in conversation and view it as a waste of time.

I follow the same rules.  Name / Number - one or two sentences max - repeat Name / Number

I heard it on the X

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, 'stache said:

This used to be.

The answer? The Apple Watch. My wife wears the watch so she can't NOT get a phone call when I need her. In fact, I'd say 90% of her phone calls she takes are on her wrist these days.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

For many years I traveled almost non-stop, most of it internationally. VM notifications never worked well, so if I had voice mail, I always missed it and of course missed important information.  

One day I figured out how to reset the voice mail function so that callers got the message “the person you have dialed has a voice mailbox that has not been set up.” That was a great day. 
From then on, no one left me voice mail. If it was important that they reach me, they had the option to text, email, or try calling again. Perfection. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:03 PM, nnm said:

For many years I traveled almost non-stop, most of it internationally. VM notifications never worked well, so if I had voice mail, I always missed it and of course missed important information.  

One day I figured out how to reset the voice mail function so that callers got the message “the person you have dialed has a voice mailbox that has not been set up.” That was a great day. 
From then on, no one left me voice mail. If it was important that they reach me, they had the option to text, email, or try calling again. Perfection. 

I believe that option as owner of the phone would still frustrate me.  The 3  calls in 5 minutes caller is what pushes me over the edge.  Of course nobody important like my mom(83) or boss does that shit, it's always inconsequential/ not timebound when I speak to the person again.  Fuck that caller.