San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this shitshiw rolling

They're obviously shitty - but we kicked their ass and looked good doing it and the garbage time crew held serve and even increased the lead a bit I think. 

I think the line was Spurs -7ish - so still a good result. 

But my God - you aren't good when you're giving Robin Lopez 13 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it’s Orlando but there are a couple of things that I liked about the win:

1. The ball didn’t stick. There isn’t a Rudy Gay, Demar Derozan, or Lamarcus Aldridge to play isolation. The team passed the ball, cut hard, and sprinkled in some back door passing.

2. Defensively, they play the extremely hard. You can tell where the weak-links are, but he didn’t get much playing time and there’s nothing you can do about the size advantage Bamba had over Keldon.

3. Where the fuck is Thaddeus Young?

4. We need more Primo. That kid plays exceptionally hard and smart for an eighteen year old kid. No fear. I’m going to be watching a lot of Austin Spurs games, although I still believe we should just package Lonnie with Young in a trade and let Primo play is role in the rotation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

But my God - you aren't good when you're giving Robin Lopez 13 minutes. 

It was because Poetl had a stretch early where he had 4 or 5 rebounds and a couple tip ins within a couple minutes just from hustling and being a big body. Hope he continues to play hard because he looked good again. 

What a balanced box score too. Gotta love that. 

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Feels great on opening night to play so well and demolish a team.  Undefeated!  Walk around with your chest out.  Could be awhile until we get another one our way.  Next up?

@ Den

Milwaukee

LAL

@ DAL

@ MIL

At least we get the Bucks out of the way early!!!!  Let's go young los Spurs!!!

Nah, fuck those bitches. 

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Feels great on opening night to play so well and demolish a team.  Undefeated!  Walk around with your chest out.  Could be awhile until we get another one our way.  Next up?

@ Den

Milwaukee

LAL

@ DAL

@ MIL

At least we get the Bucks out of the way early!!!!  Let's go young los Spurs!!!

I think we steal at least one of those. LA might be a mess early on and @DAL isn't a nightmare. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I actually agree with you.  Holy shit!  I think we get one, maybe two if fortunate.

Early season can be a bit chaotic. I'd like that stretch a lot less in March than I do now. It usually takes a month or so for teams to settle and the standings to begin to reflect who's legit or not. 

Even if you think this is a 28-29 win team - odds-wise I don't think it's likely we drop all 5 of these. It's certainly possible, though.

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

At least we didn't hire Jason Kidd

It's early but, man, he seems like a terrible fit for them. He's just not ever distinguished himself as a very good coach at all. I think it was definitely time to move on from Carlisle (and maybe even Donnie) but wow, this could be a disaster. All I've heard on The Ticket for the last few weeks is that the vibe is totally different with the team, that everybody is in a better mood than they were under the old regime. That may be the case but let's see how everybody is after a few more 20+ point shellackings.

This team plays D but we aren't good enough to win shooting 4/20 from 3 and committing 20 turnovers. 

Good effort so far tonight though. We don't totally suck and will at least be a tough out most nights - esp if we shoot well (remains to be seen how often we can actually do that).

These guys are going to play hard every night and they have good depth but they just don't have enough firepower to compete with the better teams in the league. It's going to be a struggle on offense especially in light of their limited three point shooting. 

Keldon bullying his way to the rim is probably the closest thing they have to anyone being able to create his own shot, and he's too small to finish consistently. Dejounte has that little crossover midrange pull up and White is a decent pick and roll player. Other than that? Yikes. They may have to take the training wheels off of Primo just to have somebody who can threaten a defense. And we know Pop isn't letting that happen. 

Still, there's something to be said for a team that competes, plays unselfishly and is comprised of likable dudes. I'm going to enjoy this season regardless of the wins and losses. And it's mostly gonna be losses. 

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Fucking Jokic, man. I keep trying to make myself hate this guy and I can’t. Dude is all kinds of awesome, adorable, and terrifying rolled into a doughy center filled with crème. 

That was the difference IMO.  One team has a superstar, the other didn't...... One guy could make things happen when his team needed him to, the other has to manufacture it or hope someone gets really hot.  Spurs played really hard just a tough loss.  Staying on Denver, I don't see how they can win a championship.  I question if they have a real #2.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That was the difference IMO.  One team has a superstar, the other didn't...... One guy could make things happen when his team needed him to, the other has to manufacture it or hope someone gets really hot.  Spurs played really hard just a tough loss.  Staying on Denver, I don't see how they can win a championship.  I question if they have a real #2.

What's the timeline on Murray's recovery?

If I were Denver, I wouldn't rush Jamal. Make sure he comes back as close to 100 percent as possible. He's a decent No.2, in my opinion, with Michael Porter Jr. a solid third option and Gordon, et al. further down the list.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What's the timeline on Murray's recovery?

If I were Denver, I wouldn't rush Jamal. Make sure he comes back as close to 100 percent as possible. He's a decent No.2, in my opinion, with Michael Porter Jr. a solid third option and Gordon, et al. further down the list.

Murray's not a 2 IMO.  Maybe a 3.  He's capable of a big time game but the consistency isn't there and it shows up in his reg season numbers as well.  He's a nice player, but not a top 2 player on a championship team.  It has to be MPJ and I'm not sure he's there yet.  He flashes, but can't put it together consistently.

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling